Jump to content


Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation since 22/09/19 in all areas

  1. 14 points
    Hi everyone, sorry I've not posted for ages! I've been keeping my eye in though and do keep the NBN facebook group aprised of my broadsy wanderings and (fallings in recently) as and when, however for last couple of weeks I've spent a couple of evenings making some beer for Lads Week, and I thought you might appreciate some pictures! It got a bit bigger than I originally expected, when I mentioned I wanted to do a brew to a mate that is into his beer and uses "brew club" facilities whereby you can rent the equipment and space for a pretty decent sum to make some beer. So I decided to give it a go, and asked him to help me, during our discussions he mentioned that he'd spotted "wild" some hops growing by a railway line In Walthamstow Marshes. I've since discovered it probably seeded it's self there from hops that fell out of trains heading to the the Truman's Brewery in Hackney. I booked a spot in the "brew club" and we went and harvested the hops. 2 hours of , cooking??? Hopping... and other words, I can't remember followed by 2 weeks and fermentation and then some bottling and labeling tonight we've got about 60ish pints of Broad Ambition The Beer! CHEERS!
  2. 12 points
    Tuesday 10th September: With Bags strategically squeezed into the car, we set off on our one and a quarter hour journey to Acle. We finally arrived at Bridgecraft boatyard at about half past two, having stopped at Acle co-op superstore for supplies. We made ourselves known to reception and they told us our boat was nearly ready, so we gave Welly, the yard’s black and white moggy, a lot of attention, did the paperwork and were issued with six life jackets and told we could bring the car down and unload. I backed up close to her and began loading the holdalls, bags and equipment on board. I let them know in reception that we were ready and was told where to park the car, then our instructor gave us a thorough run through of the boat and her systems. I was then told I could set off when I was ready, so with the engine fired up and readied I engaged neutral and switched over to the upper helm, untied the ropes and cast off for the first time on our eleven night journey aboard this six birth Alphacraft Highliner 44 MkII by the name of Brooklyn Bridge 2. The weather was hot and breezy and we headed under the bridge toward Stokesby, whilst I helmed the boat, Jenny undertook the arduous task of stowing everything away, there are plenty of cupboards on Brooklyn, so much so that several remained empty. Brooklyn handled well considering she was forty four feet in length, twelve feet in width and had an eight feet and three inch air draft. When we got to Stokesby, both the parish staithe and the Glebe Farm moorings were full so we continued on down to the Stracey Arms Windpump moorings, we actually moored at the Hindu temple end and the great visibility that is offered from the upper helm made for a perfect first mooring. With the boat all secured we walked to the shop and paid the five pound mooring fee and bought some other bits and bobs. We had tea onboard and then washed it down with some beers,. It had been a long day so we decided on an earlyish night.
  3. 12 points
    Boatyards on the Yare had to take all sorts of precautions against the spring tides, which I think must have been a lot higher in those days. I remember when the men at Hearts used to keep two cats in the sheds, and each was given its own box to sleep in, around the "potbelly" stove in the machine shop. These were old tea chests, filled with suitable bedding and lined with polystyrene dinghy buoyancy, so that they would float when the spring tides came up in the sheds! On winter weekends and Christmas holidays, it was my job to go up and feed the cats in the morning. If the water was up, this meant going from the gun-boat by dinghy to the sheds and then going in with waders on, where I would find the cats contentedly asleep in their boxes. I would have to moor them up to the work-bench, so that they could have their breakfast! I wonder what modern-day Health and Safety would have to say about boatbuilders, spending their working day standing in waders in 2 ft of water, planking the topsides of a boat?
  4. 10 points
    Started my second trip of the year yesterday, this time on Benmore 2 from Barnes Brinkcraft. It's my mum and me aboard this time (along with Rollie our Lhasa Apso) and we've opted for a week staying North, hopefully getting up to Coltishall and Dilham. Saturday 21 September The long journey was a little slower than usual, so by the time we arrived in Hoveton and got our shopping done it was 3-30 before we arrived at the boatyard. No matter, the sun was well and truly shining and I swapped to short sleeves before we were away. The river was thronging with day boats enjoying the sun, including one who made my reversing manoeuvre out of Barnes' Marina awkward by flipping his direction of travel more than once. We headed off downstream for a sunny cruise, passing Wroxham Broad and Salhouse as we'll leave them for later in the week. Horning was busy of course and Cockshoot Dyke was also full. We finished up at a lovely peaceful spot I've only moored at once before - St Benedicts Church (between Horning and Ranworth if you don't know it).
  5. 10 points
    Hi SPEEDTRIPLE, Just wanted to assure you that there's no secret agenda for us being on here. I'm on here representing the Broads Authority to hopefully answer your questions, share some useful information and to help wherever I can. I work within the Communications Team at the BA, so I certainly don't know the answer to everything, but I'm always able to go and have a chat to the relevant officers when required. Just for a bit of context, we did have an account on the other Broads Forum and had been aware of Norfolk Broads Network for awhile, it took some time to get an account set up and get the resources in place to start using it as a direct way to engage with you all. Thanks, Tom
  6. 9 points
    Wednesday 25th September After the previous mornings, I guess no one would be surprised when if I said that it was another grey, dismal morning when I woke, but at least the rain had stopped for a while at least. The morning followed the usual pattern, with me brewing up and Iain and the wife taking the dogs for their morning walk. I dressed and wandered up to Toad Hall Cottage and the end of the moorings where Hathor was moored to take a few photos. I returned to the boat and we had toast and marmalade for breakfast. I intended to go to Ranworth Broad, so we cast off at about 08:45, heading back down the Ant and under the bridge. There was one cruiser waiting to go upstream, holding station as about four or five of us were going the other way. The cruise to Ranworth Dam was uneventful, but I was wondering if there would be space for us to moor, as the rivers seemed quite busy. The binoculars made an appearance as the view across the broad opened and I could see that there were several spaces available, so panic over. I made for Cambridge Cabby’s favoured spot at the cab rank and we secured the boat. Once again, there was a brief, heavy shower as we moored. We needed a couple of bits from the shop, so Debbie and I wandered across to pick up what we needed. The sight of some bacon and sausages in the fridge inspired me to think about another cooked breakfast the following morning, so the couple of bits turned into an expensive basketful. What the hell? We were on holiday!! I plugged into the mains, where someone had thoughtfully left 26p credit – not much, but sufficient to allow us to get the Dyson out and vacuum the boat through, before we availed ourselves of the rubbish facilities. Debbie and I took the dogs and our grandson for a walk to the church. Well it would be rude not to and I hadn’t made it in April when we were last there, due to the weather. Debbie stayed outside with the hounds, whilst I took Harry in for a look around. I thought better of trying to tackle the stairs up the tower with a daredevil three-year-old – I’ll leave that to his parents on a future trip! We headed back outside and went into the tea rooms, where dogs are now allowed inside. Debbie had a pot of tea and shared a millionaire’s shortbread with Harry, whilst I had a slice of apple pie with clotted cream, washed down with a coffee. Very nice too!! We walked the back way to the boat and Harry collected a few conkers on the way. It took me back to when Iain was young and used to pick them up too. How the years have flown by! When we arrived back at Moonlight Shadow, the kids (as we call them) decided that they wanted to go to the church, so left us baby-sitting while they went. Unfortunately, the downside of mooring in the cab rank, is that the water hose won’t reach the boat. Doh!! The staithe by then, was full, so we moored alongside the boat at the end, having first sought their permission, to take on water. It turned out that their boat is also moored where Norfolk Lady is, but I’d not had the opportunity to talk to them before, so we had a chat whilst the tanks were filled. When done, we said our goodbyes and cast off, heading for Thurne Dyke and my long-awaited dinner at The Lion. When we arrived, there were already a few craft moored, but I reversed in, to a space about three boat lengths in on the mill side. Debbie was knitting, Rachel was tending to Kayleigh and Iain was keeping Harry amused, so I went for a wander with the camera. It was still cloudy, but a little after we arrived, the cloud began to break and the sun poked its head out. Before long, the sky was completely clear and it turned into a lovely afternoon. I noticed Royall Commander moored further down the dyke, so wandered along and spoke to Russell. He admitted to having been in the pub (no real surprise there) and apologised in advance if he slurred his words. He wanted to have a look at Moonlight Shadow so we walked back to the boat, where I made him a coffee (at his request)and introduced him to the family, where we chatted for about an hour. He is a really nice guy and I hope we can meet up again at some point in the future. He has a real love of the Broads and has bought into the Thunder syndicate, so his visits to the area will become even more regular. I look forward to the vlogs!! After Russell had taken his leave, I went out with the camera again to capture a few more shots as the sun went down, casting a glorious golden glow over the mill. I could see clouds were rolling in again and feared that the respite in the weather would be only temporary. We all walked down to the pub and had an exceptional meal. I may be in the minority when I say that I used to like it as it was. I never had a bad meal there, but the place has certainly changed for the better and it is without a doubt, my favourite eating establishment on the Northern rivers. Sated and relieved of a good chunk of hard-earned, we returned to the boat for a hot nightcap and bed. We were to cross Breydon on Thursday and a cooked breakfast was planned. How quickly the week was passing.
  7. 9 points
  8. 8 points
    Wednesday 16th it was another early start to take advantage of the flood up to the lion at thurne for a quick couple of pints, before moving on to Ranworth, here we had fun fitting 4 boats in, but as people left we slotted them in, just one boat complaining we had jumped the queue, but our last boat had been sitting at her mud weight waiting when she arrived, so we were there first. Dogs were allowed off the boats and it was a general melee of ball throwing, and later a trip to the maltsters, during the evening i took an opportunity to get some photos of the sky and stars
  9. 8 points
    I will try this time to make the tale a little less boring but I cannot promise! Having moved to Cornwall in early July although we were not actually in our new home until mid August but that’s another story, we will now have a much longer journey up to Norfolk with that in mind we have booked a b&b in Horning for the Thursday night before we take the boat over ,thus giving us the opportunity to eat in the Bure seafood restaurant that evening somewhere we enjoy. Silent Emblem Friday September 6th. Day 1 After a great evening meal and good night sleep we are ready to start our new adventure , having had a delicious breakfast we left Horning for Potter Heigham to collect some more fishing gear , then headed to Wroxham and Roy’s for the fresh food stuffs and finally back to Horning the butchers and arrived at ferry marine around midday. They said boat was not ready but it looked like an engineer was working on her we decided to just sit in the car and wait weather had turned chilly and there were several heavy rain showers, just before 1.30 we were told we could load up didn’t take long and the hand over was a little more thorough than in June as Silent is all electric and the guy doing the hand over wanted to make sure we were ok with everything finally we were set free around 2:30 it had stopped raining by now so sat up top and left the marina destination unknown. It was a real joy travelling along with only the merest of noise and it made us so aware of how noisy all the other boats were not that it seemed that busy. After a couple of hours we decided to find a mooring for the night and as it looked likely to rain again soon we thought it best, headed down fleet dyke and had a choice of moorings on the first set upon the bend hardly anyone there which surprised us, just got tied up and the heavens opened so no fishing for the time being I quickly unpacked and we sat and watched as a few more boats came past at the end of the day there were at least 3 moorings to be had dinner was a salad of local seafood and some new potatoes washed down with a glass or two of wine no Tv signal so sat and chatted and read until we were both tired and the first night in the nice large double. At handover we had been told to leave the switch in the cabin for the heating and hot water always on the water not fully off what a mistake the noise of it keep cutting in was awful although at the time in the dark I wasn’t sure what it was so I took the spare duvet and went into the saloon to sleep could still hear it but not so bad, we did not make that mistake again off off off before we went to sleep. Day 2 After not such a good night we took our time to get going this morning , the weather was not good heavy rain and quite windy , not sure what to do or where to head we had a leisurely cooked breakfast before deciding. As the rain had eased we left the moorings and headed back up the dyke again we sat up top great views and in the fresh air , once we turned onto the Bure at St Benets the wind was in our faces so not quite so pleasant,took a look down Ranworth and having decided to go to Salhouse came back out again just as the heavens opened quickly changed to inside steering , not such a good view but much warmer and dryer. As we approached Cockshoot dyke the end mooring was free and I was persuaded that we should moor up to do a little fishing , this we did although the wind was not helping trying to push us off the mooring, fishing gear set up I sat inside out of the rain but it soon passed and I thought I would take a walk down the nature trail. Very good too enjoyed it once at the broad I took some photos and sat in the hide for a while, when I got back to the dyke I carried on walking the other bank along towards the Ferry inn albeit on the opposite bank , this was quite overgrown so had a bit of a struggle and it soon started raining again so I headed back. Asking if we were heading off soon it was decided to stay put as wind and rain were both heavy and he was enjoying the fishing , spent the next couple hours watching moorings fill up although again never completely full. Enjoyed dinner on board again Ham salad and new potatoes again accompanied with some nice wine, TV signal ok so watched Stricky opening show then opted for a couple more hours with my book before turning in and switching that heater off. Day 3 We had decided last night to head to Stokesby today hoping for a mooring and a meal in the Ferry Inn , so after a quick breakfast we chose to slip the mooring early just after eight and take a slow meandering down stream and as it was not raining we set off up top. Lovely quite cruise saw lots of kingfishers just past Ranworth Dam no otter though as this was the spot in June we saw one, a couple marsh harriers and several Herons, Went along nice and slow hardly anyone else on the river what a joy that is it was so lovely, only had the boat running on the electric and it was really peaceful probably only saw half a dozen other boats the whole way there. When we arrived at Stokesby there was space on the Staithe with the electric post so we turned around and went into moor, as I am very short I sometimes struggle getting on and off the boats but I found Silent to be perfect for me whether side or stern moored I could get off with ease. Fishing gear set up I went for a walk along the bank the weather was lovely and sunny although the wind was a little chilly, after a lovely afternoon fishing and reading we both got ready to go to the pub for our meal, the food was really lovely we both enjoyed it and will definitely visit again, back to the boat I topped up the electric it had had £0.49 on when we arrived and as the batteries had done all the work bringing us here that was soon depleted On board for a couple hours TV and reading and so to bed. Day 4 We woke after a great nights sleep this bed is really comfy and bigger then usual boat beds, had breakfast and deciding where to go we left mooring about 9:30 and here we had a small problem the bow thruster refused to work and so a bit more manoeuvre was required to extract us from our spot without disturbing the boat behind ( 2 things here we think engineer on boat when we arrived was doing something with bow thrusters and I think I read a review here from someone on Silent who also had issues ) Anyway off we head and think we will try to get into Ranworth again a very slow electric glide back up the Bure so peaceful not much other river traffic and apart from the early noise from the A 47 peaceful. We didn’t see much wildlife on the way and arrived at Malthouse Broad around Midday having dawdled around we were indicated there was a spot down the side so we headed in made quite a show with the people already moored as she came in totally quiet people gathered around to ask about it and have a look inside all very impressed as we were anyway. Weather a little chilly overcast but dry so we headed off for a walk up to the nature trail nice and peaceful walk and when heading back decide to have a pint in the maltsters sat outside although it was quite chilly for me , back on the boat the fishing gear came out, I must just say apparently the fishing has been quite bad nothing much caught and at Stokesby he fished quite a time and did not have one bite , but on the return journey up the Bure we saw several dead fish Pike Roach and perch. Decided to order a curry for tonight from Acle spice the delivery to the boat and it is usually delicious, and it was we always over order so we can have another meal the next day saves cooking and we enjoy it. Early night as we are both tired and surprisingly there are still free moorings here. Day 5 Up quite early and fishing starts we have our breakfast and fill up with water decide to take another walk before we head off and we follow the walk we saw Dave on Silver Cloud do on one of his videos it was lovely enjoyed it and will do that again only about 40 mins but away from roads and glimpses of south Walsham inner broad. Heading off around 11 am there were hardly any boats left on the moorings we are going to How Hill today not far we know but we were on shore power all night and batteries showing 100% again Bow thruster failed on leaving slow cruise back down Bure and I take helm so all the top can be lowered ready for the bridge the idea for How Hill is that tomorrow we want a really early start to go up the Ant on the electric so very very quiet to see what wildlife is up and about. Ludham bridge marker showing 8 foot 6 we need 8 foot 2 take it nice and slow from inner helm and clear with at least 6 inches to spare if not more , when we get to How Hill the corner mooring opposite the windmill is free so that’s where we go. Time for another walk and some more fishing weather ok showers and some sun a little warmer than yesterday , early dinner left over curry sat up top watching sun set and then to bed theses broad days are so tiring. Day 6 After an early night we are up and ready to cast off just after 6 obviously everyone else still tucked up in bed but we are so quiet I really do not think we disturbed anyone off we go at about 1.2 miles and hour up top I need my coat as it’s a bit chilly but stunning sadly wildlife we hoped to see are all also having a lie in. We arrive at Wayford Bridge just before 9 turn around and head back the way we came destination Ranworth again it’s his favourite place I think that and South Walsham I’m lucky that this time I’ve been to Stokesby and How Hill. Again we get moored straight away but on the right of the dingy dyke a little later someone moves out from the side a we quickly take the spot again bow thruster fails once moored we go for another walk and then a pub lunch not the greatest food for us but ok and better than cooking . More late afternoon fishing and I sit up top it’s quite warm the sun is out and we are both content , light supper onboard a bit of TV then into bed to read a bit before lights out. Day 7 Our final full day and it’s raining again we need some food for tonight’s dinner or a mooring with food so trying to decide where to go , we think we will go to Wroxham to shop then back out to Salhouse to moor leaving us a pleasant cruise tomorrow back to the yard. We set of up top as rain has stopped but it soon stars again and we head inside as it’s quite heavy going along we have a change of plan and decide to shop in Horning than head back to South Walsham surprise surprise! All Staithe moorings busy but the mooring in front of river trip boat is free it is now pouring with rain so we quickly moor up and I head off to the butchers get some chops for dinner and some bits for lunch soon back to the boat still heavy rain as we leave from the inside helm just past the Ferry Inn Mick spots an otter but I miss it dam ! Once past Horning the rain stops so we head back up to and enjoy a slow cruise to fleet dyke we arrive around 1 pm and it’s completely empty on the first corner moorings so we pick our spot and head in ,weather nice now sun out and reasonably warm fishing gear out and I head off for a walk I go down to the other moorings and there are space there too have a chat to a couple of boaters then head back past our mooring on up to the main river lovely walk and back on the boat I sit up top first time I have taken hoodie off all week. Sad as it is I need to start packing up which really does not take long we have toned down how much we bring these days so we are all sorted and have a final meal onboard and then a bit of TV before we turn in. Day 8 Up early and a quick tea and coffee and we set off we arrive at Boatyard around 7:30 there is 1 space left which we squeeze into get the car and start loading up whilst coming along I took the helm while the fishing gear was cleared away and the decks cleaned Once car is loaded we finish cleaning the boat and are ready to leave around 8:30 Into the office to return life vests and keys report issue with bow thruster and leak in bedroom window then we set off pop into Wroxham to buy Micks dad some Cromer crabs then head back to Essex to see him and finally set of from there around 12:30 to drive back to Padstow nightmare journey took over 7 hours did not arrive home until after 8 pm. Having said that we have already booked same boat for 2 more weeks next year June and September we really liked her almost almost perfect for us planning to go south in June a first for us to cross Brendon together. I have photos but no idea how they get from camera to blog ! Susan
  10. 7 points
    The usual medieval bridge foundation construction consisted of a considerable amount of wooden piling driven into the clay in a pattern of wide concentric circles. The pilings would be connected by joists and the whole structure would then be packed tight with local stones or gravel. This would then be planked with oak or elm before the stone piers and abutments were constructed on top of this structure. I've excavated three medieval bridges, and as Mark says about Rochester, the pilings and foundations are 'monumental' in the true sense of the word. Potter Heigham, or Repps, Bridge is a bit of a belt and braces affair due to the episodes of construction, demolition and restoration of the current structure over it's 751 years of its current iteration. Looking at the cut-waters on the side arches you will notice that they are each of different construction. The side arches themselves I would put an earlier date of 13th century rather than than the 14th of the scheduling. I would surmise that reworking of the piers and abutments of the side arches was carried out in the 15th century when the 'pointed' central span was replaced with the current circular arch. Casting a wider eye over the approaches to the bridge and the projection of the springing line, with little variation in extrados and intrados of the central span would back this. There is 'movement' in the bridge structure, but this is to splay horizontally and not vertically. This is evidenced, as Alan pointed out, in both the spandrels, the discovery of the original parapet on the river bed, the 18th century replacement parapet and the addition of cantilever buttresses at the same time. This is the 'belt and braces' I was referring to. Medieval architecture has as much to do with form as it does structure. For example, many of our cathedrals are built on foundations of little more than a few inches of compacted chalk and gravel and a thousand years later they are still there.
  11. 7 points
    Seeings as I am currently sat aboard my old wooden broads cruiser, which used to pass through Potter bridge, can I add my few pennith worth? Chloe Jane used to pass under Potter easily. About 6'9" would do it. She started as Waveney Princess and became Aston Cairn when they took over the Loddon yard. Check Craigs site for information and then check your Hoseasons brochures for any mention of Bridge restrictions.... you get the idea. Anyway these days she don't fit, well she does on occasion but it's more often than not no chance. The Broads Authority told me (I asked) the increased water level was both caused by firstly an increase in rainfall from climate change meaning more water off the land (a fact I dispute having gone back over Norfolk rainfall data for the last 50 years) and secondly an 'allowing' of the reduction of flow in the lower bure to stop salt incursion and protect the environment upstream on the flood tides. Now, whether Speedtriple's argument regarding the bridge sinking holds merit or not, Martham Boats raised their quayheads, their fuel pump and their pump out shed a few years ago. I doubt all their land was sinking....? By the way, "buy the right boat" is an argument that's flawed. Keep that one up whilst our navigation is eroded further and the "right boat" will be a canoe. Nobody expects one of Ferry Marina's finest to fit, they were never designed to, but boats that went through week in week out should still be able to do so. And, if we really care that much about the environment up there, fit speed limiters to the day boats!! The caring hirer will never notice and the hooligans will no longer challenge for the biggest bow wave
  12. 7 points
    ok, 5mm hole positioned drilled and the pipe fitted, tightening the nut was fun, but achieved, the other end has been sealed into the hull fitting, i will gradually open up the hole in the hull fitting until i get the desired flow. its less than 1mm at the moment
  13. 6 points
    I hope all contributors to this thread will remember that and think carefully before posting. That includes posting for the sole purpose of ‘stirring’ the pot. IMHO we are very lucky that the BA is participating in this forum and BA posts should be treated with respect, as should all posts. Challenge posts if you must but I think we will all benefit if views, opinions and thoughts are kept polite and respectful. Just my opinion of course.
  14. 6 points
    It has been a considerably better day today weather wise. A bit grey perhaps but much drier. We have had a steady run from Potter Heigham to Wroxham to do a spot of shopping and have then plodded back to Salhouse Broad for the evening. We are both surprised how quiet the Broads seem this week so far. Loads of moorings everywhere. Even Horning staithe had a couple of spaces at dinnertime!
  15. 6 points
    Day 10 Thursday 19th Woke up to another warm day, made the tea, did the morning chores and fed the swans as they had asked for their breakfast by repeatedly tapping their beaks on the bathing platform. Jenny saw the otter come out of the river, cross the back of the staithe and disappear into the bushes. Armed with a second mug of tea I cast off and headed towards the Ant. When we reached the turning, there were spaces at St Benet’s, so I turned round and moored up to lower the screens and sides and I cast off and continued down the Ant using the lower helm, sitting on a cushion to improve visibility. Ludham bridge safely negotiated, I swapped back to the upper helm and we headed on down at a nice sedate pace, destination Wayford. There are so many wild moorings on the Ant now, I think they probably outnumber the BA moorings. When we arrived at Wayford staithe there was a space between the boats already moored, so I moored up and did a bit of fishing. The boat in front of us left and a short time after, Jenny came through and asked me to check the front ropes as the bow seemed to be out in the river. So I pulled the float in and had a look, surely enough the lady who had untied her ropes had poorly tied our ropes with about a metre of slack, the ropes almost fell off the post when I lifted them. I pulled the bow in and secured the ropes, a bit naughty that, expect better from a private boat. We had lunch at the Bridge Inn, I do like their food, the service is excellent and it’s nice and close to the moorings. With the staithe full, I cast off and reversed back to turn in one of the side dykes and we took a slow cruise back up to Paddy’s Lane, which was full, again if they had moored considerately we could have got in, I know we could have asked them to move up but first impressions etc. so we went to the staithe and moored in one of the spaces for the night. A boat came in and got water and a liveaboard came in and moored on the other berth. I fished for a while until it was time for a light dinner, watched some television until bedtime.
  16. 6 points
    I don't think it unreasonable to try to get the bridge clearance to be returned to it's former levels however that would be achieved.
  17. 6 points
    You can find old fossils on the Broads, often to be seen supporting the bar at the Pleasure Boat at Hickling!!
  18. 5 points
  19. 5 points
    Just enjoyed reading through your holiday postings, as I said earlier we have booked Coway Bridge which has a bow thruster for May next year. Thought you might like to see Bentley our 12yr old version of Rollie
  20. 5 points
    but its more difficult to hang tea leaves up to dry and re-use them.
  21. 4 points
    Hmmm, the sceptic in me isn't convinced!! What do they mean by "No significant plans."? Do they have plans (significant or otherwise) to build an office block and multi storey carpark? No, I'm sure they haven't so why not list all the things they don't have plans for? They may or may not have plans for entrance fees and opening times, but they will have plans for something and I wonder if they would not be able to progress these plans with a planning authority on their team. Whatever plans they do have I reckon the BA would oppose them, otherwise the partnership would have continued. Just my opinion for what it's worth.
  22. 4 points
    I believe you are thinking about a different forum that John Packman was a member of
  23. 4 points
    Always moor at the Wroxham Hotel or is it The Hotel Wroxham these days? Nice mooring, reasonably quiet at night and mooring fee refundable against meals in the restaurant. Food is good if a bit pricey for the Broads but we have never had a bad meal there. When Brister Craft was closing I'm sure Mike said to me that the moorings would remain. Something which has not happened but if you zoom in on this ariel shot (photo by Cam Self) of the area you can clearly see the old moorings fenced off. Is there a story or dispute about this land. Would certainly be welcome if they were opened again. Fred
  24. 4 points
    Day 8 Tuesday 17th Woke up to a cracking sunrise, put the kettle on and made and delivered the teas. We took the dogs for a walk, stopping at the bins to get rid of the rubbish bags. I went to fill up with water, but the hose wouldn’t quite reach, so I moved Brooklyn over one bay using the ropes. Water filled to brimming, I mopped the decks down before untying the ropes and casting off. We took a slow cruise to Horning and yet again the staithe was full, so we headed to Malthouse Broad. When we arrived it was full with three boats waiting, so we carried on around and headed back to the Bure. We took a right past St Benet’s Abbey and on towards the Thurne. When we reached the river we decided to follow the Bure round to the right and stop at the Boundry Farm moorings for the dogs to stretch their legs and do their necessities. All back onboard we headed on up past Acle and onto Stokesby. When we arrived a Richardson’s 45 had just pulled right in the middle of a hundred and ten feet gap, Jenny asked if they wouldn’t mind pulling it back a few feet to let us in, which they promptly did. It turned out that the boat had been for an unmanned trip up past the village staithe and had been rescued and brought back some workers about ten minutes before our arrival. The chap said someone must have fiddled with the ropes, but the rescuer reckoned that they weren’t tied correctly, guess only he knows, but as they say, all’s well that ends well. We went to the Ferry for a pint and to order dinner, the first boat and the Richardson’s boat left, so Jenny and I pulled Brooklyn back on the ropes to the end mooring and secured her for the night. We went back in the pub, just in time as shortly afterwards our starters arrived, followed by our main course, no room for pudding though. The food was lovely and the staff were brilliant as usual. The Ferry Inn is a nice dog friendly pub with good food at reasonable prices, beer was great and the staff were attentive and friendly. Also special thanks for the use of their car park, so our guests could join us on our adventures, thank you. With dinner finished, Marina and the dogs bid us farewell. It was now late afternoon and the mooring had filled, we were relaxing with a drink, when Jenny shouted from the rear cabin, “that boat is on a strange course” as it came past it was clear it was another runaway, the boat in front of us, untied their ropes and went off in pursuit. They caught up with it at the far end of the farm moorings, they lashed it to the side of their boat and took it back to where it was originally moored near the village staithe. Not something you would normally see, then two in one afternoon, it all happened at Stokesby today. There were no more incidents after that and all to soon it was time for bed again.
  25. 4 points
    Getting somewhere at last, but that 180ft of planks is now around 300 on portside only. With a bit of luck 200 will finish the starboard side but am being optimistic , 20plus new ribs port side with 4 new oak floors to cut and fit when finished with planking. That will see October out I think while waiting for primer and siko to go below waterline. Brian started fairing in all the planks last Friday so by today, Tuesday it should all be done and then can get on with rewire inside and fit water tank. More soon.regards Paul Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app
  26. 4 points
  27. 4 points
    well the first coat of varnish is on, so next up is the stainless steel hatch surround in the well deck over the rudder. a bit more trimming to get the edges straight, then manage to keep it flat.
  28. 4 points
    So due to the weather precluding a boot fair this morning, i got down to work and stained the decking of the rear well, next will be a coat of varnish.
  29. 4 points
    Having both liaised and worked with the Environment Agency in regard to the Flood Alleviation Scheme I have to say that I was hugely impressed by their sheer professionalism and get on and do it attitude. Down to earth, realistic consultation, no fannying around BA style so yes, dnks does have a point but then so does Marshman. The BA, amongst others, does appear to have contrived a bloated industry that is intent on complicating the issue. by requiring the production of a myriad pages of reports that the intended recipients don't have either the time nor the inclination to read, neverthless we now have to pander to the vanity and self importance of these often petty people. The latest, self congratulatory issue of 'Broads Authority Briefing' is written very much in that style, excess verbosity and not much real content. Bit like this comment really!
  30. 4 points
  31. 4 points
    Tuesday 24th September It felt like autumn had started with drizzle first thing turning to full-on rain by the time we reached Stalham. I last visited the Broads Museum 19 years ago and Mum had never been so it felt like an ideal rainy day option. It's improved a lot since I last visited and there's a lot to see spread across four buildings. We were able to camber inside a model of the living quarters of the wherry Albion, see hire industry memorabilia and see a complete timeline of Broads history. Having finished at the museum we made a visit to Tescos and then returned to our mooring at Richardsons. There were hardly any Richardsons boats on Swan Quay so I'm guessing they were almost fully booked this week. By the time we 'sailed' once more around 2pm the rain had cleared and we headed for Neatishead. The Ant and Barton Broad were very quiet so surely there would be a mooring at Neatishead early afternoon? Not a chance, ten boats in situ, looking like they'd been there for hours. We wanted to eat out and we opted for the Dog at Ludham Bridge. Fortunately there were spaces there arriving around 3-45. We managed to avoid rain all afternoon until after we'd stopped, (although we had a very wet walk back to the boat from the pub in the evening). Before we went out Rollie and I enjoyed a walk along the river bank down as far as the farm moorings below the bridge. We enjoyed the Dog and the gluten free options were really good.
  32. 4 points
    It is interesting to see others opinions but we find the salt marshes either side of Breydon to be some of the nicest stretches of the rivers with the most wealth of wildlife to be found. Spotted our first Crane on the run to Yarmouth. Great moment.
  33. 4 points
    I have almost finished 12 days on the Broads, a few of you met Andy who was my guest for this latest allocation, Andy left for home yesterday morning. His time aboard Ranworth Breeze was truly appreciated and he loved the Broads which was his first visit. We had two visits by potential new owners on Saturday & Tuesday, I am pleased to report that the School Share and one Standard Share have been sold and the two Standard shares shown at the start of this topic are now the only shares we currently have for sale. I am setting off back home tomorrow after hopefully after meeting our next owners coming aboard. Today will be a cleaning day inside of the boat, filling up with diesel, toilet tanks pumped out and fresh water tank refilled, I may go up the river prior to refuelling. I will be back on the Broads in November for our AGM. Regards Alan
  34. 3 points
    Chub prefer the canal system, probably something to do with the locks.
  35. 3 points
    "Stop pulling me out of the Bl##dy Water"
  36. 3 points
    Lovely photos and always good to hear reviews of the various hire yards. Sounds like you had a lovely time.
  37. 3 points
    I had wondered why certain members of the lads week (myself included) had been practicing falling into the water recently.(I thought I would get that one in before anyone else did).
  38. 3 points
    Yes. Excellent pub. We are going back in shortly for breakfast. Slight change of plan for today. Really don't fancy crossing Breydon in this weather today so we are going to head back upstream a little and head for Potter Heigham and Womack today. Will head South tomorrow instead.
  39. 3 points
    Alan, you took the words right out of my mouth! If that journal is as reliable and accurate as the EDP it could be anything or nothing.
  40. 3 points
    Its all down to the yards really I guess - building boats slightly narrower would be a good start I suggest!! But WHY though? Surely it is one of its prime attractions is that the area continues to remain like the whole of Broadland was many years ago and reflects a time gone by? Is that not worth preserving? It is still easily accessible if you have the right boat, and you have the mind to? Go on, hire a sailing boat and explore it like others, and indeed I have done many times. Even the most hardened of you must admit that all that is so special would be spoiled by the modern behemoths - those who really care can still access it easily but it does serve a purpose in keeping out those who do not really care and who would probably spoil it - it is a special and fragile environment so why not keep it that way? I and many others, would support that I know!
  41. 3 points
    I will also point out that the majority of the non plywood timber has been cut from the two pieces of burmese teak that Griff supplied to me, which has been cut into planks of various thickness, and has been used extensively in the build of this model.
  42. 3 points
    A stunning still Reedham sunset.
  43. 3 points
  44. 3 points
    Welcome Culcus The closest of me owning a boat or an Alpha is this 🤣🤣🤣...
  45. 3 points
    You could sew them into a bag and hang them up.
  46. 3 points
    Just had an enjoyable ten days round the North Broads even up to Coltishall lock saw 1 or 2 forumites and really just had a lazy time. Came home on Tuesday booked Conway Bridge 12th to 26th May 2020 this afternoon when will the meet be next year, will try make it providing I don't meet up with any spiders
  47. 2 points
    That's an excellent post, though I will always stand what I say the Thurne blockage has, through increasingly being used by the weight of heavier and heavier vehicles sunk, and will probably continue to do so. That said, it IS'NT the only reason, lack of dredging, and the continual shifting of land mass, ie "sinking", are a couple of others (again, whether convenient for individual argument or not) has been scientifically proven. Whatever the reasons, the BA along with any other authority involved, MUST work together and come up with a plan to not only restore the bridge to its original height, but to increase it to a higher level to allow for any future reduction in clearance. This would go a long way to rectify the situation, otherwise, we will be paying ever increasing tolls for ever reducing cruising ground.
  48. 2 points
  49. 2 points
    Thanks TH, it was enjoyable. Second maybe, but I had only half the points of the winner!
  50. 2 points
    We've never been cruising at 6.30 am, but in one, "WOW", what an amazing experience, and one we WILL be doing again. Because of bridge clearance requirements, and the fact we are currently experiencing some very high tides, it was necessary to get away early, so I was up before 6.00am, showered, and ready to go by 6.30. I thought we may be punching the tide, so left a bit earlier than planned. As we're cruising along, I can see the tide is still ebbing, and we were going pretty quick even at 5 mph. So I throttled back to about 4 mph, and really enjoyed the early morning sun with mist rolling across the water, truly stunning, why haven't we done this before?.
  • Create New...

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.