Jump to content


Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation since 01/05/20 in all areas

  1. 21 points
    We were due for two holidays this year on Swan Roamer, April and June. The April one was cancelled (Covid-19 lockdown) so we moved all payments to the June (6th) one and paid the little remaining money on the invoice. On Wednesday we received the email from Richardsons about our options for June, initially we decided to 'sit on it' in the vague hope that it might be able to go ahead but yesterday changed our minds and thought about the possibility of September. Looked at their web site to see what boat options there were, no Swan Roamer or similar available but Swan Ranger and Moon Enterprise were with Moon Enterprise being a week earlier so telephoned Richardsons, phone answered very promptly which I was not expecting, and requested the transfer which was done with no hassle at all, I didn't even query the price but just went for it. Received the email confirmation a few minutes later and was most surprised to see that everything including all discounts (2nd holiday in the year etc) had been transferred and the net invoice was zero (having previously paid for June). I regard this as excellent service that goes way beyond what I expected, very well done. Hopefully now we will get our Broads fix this year after all.
  2. 20 points
    All I will say is that we are still currently treating 90 covid-19 patients in our hospital and 30 waiting for results, 25 of these in intensive care - that doesn’t include any other patients that need urgent and emergency treatment who also need expert care or others that have had their cancer surgery delayed. if you want to talk semantics and interpret the latest information to suit your own goals that is your choice - but if you all suddenly go out, for whatever reason, you will potentially put an extra stain on the NHS and those that are trying to combat this disease. This is not over, it has not eased and people are still being infected daily . Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network
  3. 18 points
    Hi all, thought you may appreciate an update: Reports from our Rangers were overwhelmingly positive over the weekend. It appears that the Broads has largely escaped the issues experienced other upland National Parks and at certain locations at the coast. It was busy with lots of people out enjoying their boats and paddlesports, but nearly all following the social distancing guidelines. Many a friendly nod/wave/word was exchanged and people seem delighted to be back on the water. Also, the majority of boats were tolled (thank you), although a small number of vessels were not. Reports from places such as Ranworth/Hickling/Wroxham/other honey pot areas were that people were enjoying the weather on land too, but were being sensible and staying a good distance from each other. Unfortunately I have seen a number of reports of people fishing during the coarse close season at various locations across the Broads network, and the Environment Agency has been prompted to monitor and take action where they can. Whether this is down to confusion regarding the Government permitting angling from 13 May onwards or not is unclear. We appreciate it is frustrating for those that still aren't able to make the journey back to the Broads or stay overnight under the current guidelines, but we are expecting the Government will change this as soon as they deem it safe and appropriate to do so. The no overnight instruction from the Government has helped to limit the potential for people to flock here en-masse and adversely affect our local communities. It will be fantastic if the public can continue to lead with this great behaviour over the coming bank holiday weekend. If anyone has any further questions or needs assistance please drop me a line on here or get in touch with us via our website. Tom
  4. 18 points
    I suppose if I had any sense I should keep my head down and not have the temerity to offer my own opinion (on a discussion forum) if it does not conform to the obvious "party line" of stay at home and save lives. Of course I am worried about lives being lost in this crisis but I am also very worried about human life as we know it. When this is over and we all climb back out of our fallout shelters we are going to find a different world out there. Thousands will be out of work, businesses will no longer be in business and social life and communication will not be the same for many months to come, if ever. I imagine a lot of people are already going "stir crazy" at home and the effect on mental health and well-being is going be enormous. So we need the relaxation and distraction of a leisure activity even more than usual. Boating on the Broads would seem to me one of least risky ways of doing this whilst sticking to all the rules and guidances that we all know about by now. I am lucky in that my main leisure activity at the moment is railway modelling and I do that at home! By the way, it is no use preaching to me about staying at home because I am at home and have been here ever since this started on 12th March. I go out to the supermarket every 10 days and that is it. We are no longer in lockdown here but there are still many restrictions. I am not to travel more than 100km from home except for a handful of specific reasons, and I don't qualify for any of those. In all practicality I can't see us being able to cross the Channel to visit our families for another 6 months or more. So there is no question of us taking a "furtive" little visit to the boat that we only bought at this time last year and have only holidayed on once! She sits there though, on her paid up mooring with current river toll and insurance and my daughter is looking forward to taking her husband and young family out for days on the Broads as soon as possible. She, of course, doesn't "stay at home and save lives". She goes to work to save lives in an A&E hospital, so she knows exactly what this virus is about. She is also the only one of the team she works with who has so far not caught it, recovered normally and returned to work. So if she thinks there is no added risk to her and her family (or the general public) in taking a day out on the river, I am well prepared to believe her!
  5. 17 points
    I really am quite saddened by some of the attitude we are now seeing, we are all frustrated and want to get back to as near normal as possible and personaly yes get back to my boat but not at the cost of lives or putting things back, a little patience now could save months of further disruption on both personal and economic disruption, its becoming the old story of give an inch and some will take a mile, where we are really in trouble is that it clearly states that all these plans are dependant on common sense something that appears to be sadly lacking. Fred
  6. 17 points
    Well not so much my day but my last 7 months of about 3 hours a day, is complete. Just need to make the cabinet now. paul
  7. 16 points
    Another day, another walk, all much the same as the previous however many it is now but quite picturesque... Also finished my first wooden boat build last week(kit of course), not exactly the last word in fit & finish but quite pleased for a first go.
  8. 15 points
    Hi Skipper, Just to confirm our Paddy’s Lane 24 hour moorings have had the timber completely refurbished with new tie rods and some anchor pile work. The contractors undertaking the work have been waiting for a supply of woodchip (approximately 120 cubic metres) to finish off the work and open up the mooring. Obtaining it during the lockdown has been problematic but the supply is now arranged. The mooring will be opened up as soon as the work is completed and signed off. I am a little surprised to hear that there are no information signs there other than the NO MOORING, perhaps something as happened to them. I'll raise it with my colleagues. Thanks, Tom
  9. 15 points
    and now the right way up, and with the cabin roofs on. just the short aft rubbing strakes added.
  10. 15 points
    Amethyst is no longer. She was owned by a couple who had her based at Princess Cruisers marina in Loddon and who'd spent quite some time and money on her over the years. Sadly, about 5 years ago Amethyst's hull was deemed beyond repair and I was told she was broken up on site. Emerald. I spent probably five years looking for Emerald but have never found a trace of her. Topaz. Now here's a happier tale. Topaz is alive and kicking and down south. She is somewhat modified from her original lines and now called Spruce Goose. More information on the National Historic Ships register where she can be found but heres a couple of snaps from a few years ago by her current owner. Blue Diamond. At one time it was thought that Blue Diamond was used as a mobile shop on the northern rivers but that turned out to be a different boat. Blue Diamond is a fairly common name which has lead to a couple of wild goose chases but no sign of her. Falling Leaves. We nearly acquired one of the Falling Leaves a few years ago. She had been used as a liveaboard and was in quite a state but we would have taken her on if the seller had been anywhere reasonable with his asking price. "They are worth £40.000 done so I want £7500 for the wreck" She was based on Thorpe Island and met with a chain saw a couple of years ago. Her sister ship seems long gone. I was also searching for Pegasus - another from the class. Did you know Fred Newson built half a dozen of them? Here's the last picture I have of her taken in 2013 Babe Grande. Babe was laying at Martham Boats and not in bad overall condition but abandoned. She was broken up 2 years ago along with about a dozen other old broads cruisers when that part of the site was cleared. Turkish Desires. No idea where they have ended up but they are not on the Broads. They are easy to spot though as there were only ever four Ideal 40's with the dark tinted 'Sundym' windows. Your grandad's two had varnished oak rubbing strakes and mahogany interiors. By the way, did you know your grandad had a hand in the Ideal 40's inception? Thats a story for another day. Here's a well used (on here at least) photograph of Turkish Desire No1, the first Ideal 40, at her launch. Yep, I do need to get out more!
  11. 14 points
    In a spirit of fun, friendship and respect...the forum seamstress has very kindly made me a couple of items. We have several members who have a wealth of knowledge and wisdom about The Broads and boating gained through long experience. I'm not saying they are old, although I have it on good authority that Wussername did Nelson's handover when Nelson learned to sail on Barton Broad and Vaughan got the boat ready. More importantly these members have long recognised the need to promote the Broads and Broads boating experience to a younger generation. Now if the kids can have the 'Coots Club' then there's no reason at all why we can't have the 'Old Coots Club' for the older kids. Much, much older kids! And if you are a member of the Old Coots Club then you really ought to have a pennant and a flag on your boat? So with thanks to Polly for making and posting them, I have a flag and pennant each for Vaughan and Wussername, the original Old Coots! To save looking it up the motto translates as 'history alive'. Apparently there's a secret handshake and funny walk, although I thought that was just the vino collapso!
  12. 14 points
    Prince Philip's rank in 1947 was Lieutenant (RN) and his substantive rank now is Admiral of the Fleet. For many years until his retirement he was Colonel in Chief of the Grenadier Guards and that is the uniform we see him in here. By the way, the Queen is laughing because she had just walked past and didn't recognise him! I don't think honorary colonels are called colonel, but they are referred to as such. "Our Colonel in Chief" is always toasted after "The Queen" at regimental mess dinner nights. I hope that helps to answer Paul's question. The thread has suffered what we would call a "flanking skirmish" since then but perhaps I can also clear up some mis-understanding? During my time in the Army I became friends with Col. Reggie Steward of the Army Careers Office in Norwich - in the days when Norwich had one - and he told me that of the very few young men who actually apply for an officer career only one 1 in 400 get through the selection and training to earn a Commission. The military academy at Sandhurst trains royal princes (and princesses) from Commonwealth and other countries all over the World including, infamously, Idi Amin and Muammar Gaddafi although we were told they didn't complete the course! I did my training with 2 foreign princes, 3 sons of Commonwealth government and 3 relatives of the British royal family. I can assure you none of them got a softer ride than the rest of us. In fact, they probably got it worse. And I would have been proud to serve beside any one of them.
  13. 14 points
    The United Kingdom is still great, our people are still selfless, our spirit still unbreakable, our willingness to sacrifice unbounded, our capacity for kindness boundless. Years and new generations have not changed us, immigration has not denigrated anything, it has made us richer in many ways, broader in outlook and hope. We are different now but still the same, Britishness is a thing, not a colour or a race or a creed. We are a magnificent coat of many cloths, it feels great again to be British. Despite doubters and nay sayers our Gurkha Logistics regiment built a 4000 bed hospital from scratch in nine days. Those little men from far away typify British, they always have. Our corner shops now sell weird stuff with labels we can’t read and we don’t care, that’s British. Corner shops, essential workers, NHS heroes, delivery heroes, list of brave selfless people is endless. Most of all: WE KEPT CALM AND CARRIED ON. Oh and it is nine thousand steps to mow our lawn. Martin and Fiona, Justin, Boris, Monty and Boots. Kindest Regards from West Suffolk.....
  14. 14 points
    15.5.20. For the last three 15ths of May I have usually gone out, walked and bought myself lunch and generally reflected. Southwold, Brancaster and Dorset being my destinations. This year I shall do a bit of hedging and then walk from home. There is no eating out so I roasted a chicken last night and I will have chicken salad. Today would have been my 49th wedding aniversary. 15th May 1971 A pity the photograph has become marked under Judith's left eye.
  15. 14 points
    Both my sons, my grandaughter and my brother are highly likely to have had Covid 19 since Christmas. That is 4 people. I also know four friends who have died from confirmed covid 19. One was 70, two were in their 60s and one was a fit 49 year old. That is FOUR too many from my point of view. Please feel free to nit pick about what numbers are what, I don't care. The number that means everything to me is FOUR, Four friends that are no longer here and Four family members that were extremely ill. Stay safe, don't be selfish in your actions, don't spread it any further so I can keep those that I have left safe.
  16. 14 points
    but a Broads holiday with no pubs is a frightening prospect. For some probably yes. For me / us - Not frightening at all, we would manage just fine, as long as we can get provisions. Being afloat with no pubs open would be far more attractive than not being afloat at all. We would just take our libations onboard as we normally do but the difference bring it would all be onboard, I can live with that. Admittedly may have to increase volume kept onboard, might even have to take along 'Tender Too' (Dinghy) It's akin to that well known phrase 'A bad day afloat is better than a good day in t office' Griff
  17. 13 points
    Katie and I have just returned from a glorious day afloat , God we have missed The Broads !!! We arrived this morning ,09:30, at the wet shed after a quick clean and the usual thorough checks we went for a short cruise to Gays Staithe , the rivers (well the upper Ant) were very quiet only encountered two other boats underway. Clear sky’s , accompanied with glorious sunshine meant we spent a wonderful few hours there , there was two other boats moored there. Sitting outside eating crab sandwiches in the Norfolk sunshine was heaven , can’t wait till we are permitted to stay overnight , hopefully won’t be in the too distant future
  18. 13 points
    The launching of "Her Majesty" at Herbert Woods in 1952 (I think). The well-dressed couple on the corner of the quay to the left, are my parents!
  19. 13 points
    Another conspiracy theory bites the dust.
  20. 13 points
    There's one piece of good news - my daughter has been promoted. She is now a matron. So next time I see her, I shall have to call her Sir!
  21. 12 points
    RANT, The projections are running towards 50,000 deaths at a cost of £300bn for this year. Yet many respectable organisations seem hell bent on pushing the limits. Everyone should adhere to the safe options wherever possible, bending the rules to get away and follow ones own agenda is not clever, it borders on a selfish and criminal attitude towards others. It is no good clapping the NHS one evening then doing your best to travel around as far as one can, with it's deadly potential the next.
  22. 12 points
    Broads Authority statement 13 May: Government confirms that private boats can use Broads waterways The Broads Authority has today received confirmation from Defra that privately owned powered boats can be used on the Broads for day trips as long as other guidance on social distancing is followed. This follows guidance issued earlier this week that allowed sailing and paddle boating (including canoes, kayaks and paddle boards) to resume. Whilst other inland waterways face a delay in the return of powered private boats, the Broads is able to welcome boaters back because maintenance of the waterways has continued throughout the COVID-19 lockdown. Whilst the public are advised to stay at home as much as possible, from today (13 May) you are now able to leave your home and travel to exercise or spend time outdoors from today. As well as the relaxation of boating restrictions, owners may also visit their boats for leisure or to do maintenance but are not able to stay overnight away from their usual residence (so day trips only). The Authority urges people to take care to follow guidelines and respect social distancing and to bear in mind that many businesses associated with boating may not yet be able to open. It is also essential that boaters contact marinas where there vessels are moored directly to see if they are able to access them as some businesses may not be open or able to facilitate safe access. The revised guidance on returning to work (if you are not able to do so from home) may also mean that some businesses may be able to re-open whilst others cannot. As well as restrictions business owners will have to judge whether it is safe to re-open and if they can apply social distancing/precautionary measures to protect staff and customers. Whilst we all pleased that we can access the Broads again, the threat of Coronavirus is still very real. It is up to all of us to ensure the guidelines are followed to help save lives and protect our NHS. Read the full statement on our website: https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news/coronavirus-covid-19
  23. 12 points
    Gentlemen (and ladies) May i remind you that there is a reason that we dont discuss party politics (or any politics that doesnt directly relate to the broads) and that is because tempers get hot and frayed and people start arguing. As Vaughan so rightly points out this thread is for the impact of the virus on the broads, we have another thread that is for discussions of the virus and advice on how to stay safe. While we have allowed a fair degree of tolerance over the direction of both threads we would rather see them sticking to topic and not straying into arguments. if you want to argue those points there are probably much better places to argue them than here. So please can we try and confine our comments to these aspects of the topics, if you really want to argue politics and whether the right ppe was available, then i am sure there are places to do this, here we would just prefer to see how to remain safe, and how its going to affect the rivers, businesses and broads we all love.
  24. 12 points
    This 400/4 I bought for £25 15yrs ago all in boxes!! Rusty it most certainly was! 12 months later and this was how she looked. Sold it 8yrs ago as it was just cluttering up the garage......... Get busy Griff
  25. 12 points
    My day yesterday was laying 30 metres of new turf on the front garden, Mike did the fetching and carrying I was on my knees most of the day. I had finished the preparation two weeks ago but most of the suppliers were not working or overwhelmed with calls. I ended up getting it direct from a producer near Doncaster. Regards Alan
  26. 12 points
    A few more photographs from an exercise walk round Ludham. Do you like our NHS flag on the tower at St Catherine's? Very quiet at the staithe and in Womack. Horsefen Marshes had a few walkers and it looks like Openreach are out in force at Ludham telephone exchange. Nigel. Sunny Ludham
  27. 11 points
  28. 11 points
    I burned the midnight oil last night and strangely enough I was awake bright and early and busy in the workshop before the beagles had woken up. As always I couldn't resist 'finishing' my project. As I mentioned earlier I was going to give the box a few coats of Finney's Finpol Special Polish. This stuff is amazing! Somewhere I had misplaced the mop brush that I use to apply the finish and instead had to make do with a sash brush. It worked just the same and so much cheaper too! After sanding the box to two twenty grit, I gave it a wipe down with a tack cloth. I took all components apart, jotted down the locations and size of the shims for those damned hinges and set everything up on the bench cookies. The bench cookies have little adapters that come to a point and that sit on top of the cookies for finishing. Now to applying the Finpol in pendulum movements making sure to slip the brush 'off' the ends of the box and NOT 'on' to the box. You avoid dribbles and runs by doing this. The Finpol dries extremely quickly on the first two coats. So as soon as I had finished coating all sides of each part of the box it was time to move onto the coat. By the third coat I was enjoying myself so much I'd started singing. “Are you alright Tim?” Ellie shouted over the hedge. “He's off his t... is what he is!” my neighbour on the other side said. “Tim, it's very late and time to pack it in!” So with the third coat complete I shut up the workshop for the night. The next morning the fourth coat of Finpol went on and I took the boys out for a mooch while I waited for everything to dry. Poor old Spotty, Ellie's collie, had not had a good day yesterday. He's eighteen years old and had a stroke on New Year. We suspect the old boy has been spitting his tablet out so Ellie gave him another tablet and made sure he swallowed it. This morning he was his usual self and galloping about after the beagles. A good long walk and a chance to blow away the cobwebs and Finpol fumes! After lunch and the last coat of Finpol was dry and it was time to get onto the polishing. I used to use wax polish such as Briwax, Colron and Rustins. Not any more. Not only is the stuff expensive but after a while it congeals and goes rancid in the tin. I now only use Beagle's Ear Wax TM. t's the best quality wax on the market, made by my own fair hands. Four sticks of beeswax are melted into a quarter of a pint of food grade mineral oil. The resulting wax is soft with a deep rich colour that polishes up to a tough, deep shine! I apply the first coat of Beagle's Ear Wax TM with 0000 grade wire wool rubbing it in with the grain. Give it a few minutes to set and then I buff it up with a soft, dry lint free cloth. The second coat of Beagle's Ear Wax TM (available direct from the Beagle Brothers Company) is applied with a lint free cloth this time rubbing the wax into the wood in small circular motions. Again give it a few minutes to set and this time I start buffing using the buffing pads chucked into the drill. I give everything two more coats buffing in between. A final light fifth coat is applied sparingly and this time polished with a clean lint free cloth. Now it's time to reassemble the box and fit the magnets into the 'handle key' and the false floor. I use a thick superglue in the recess and then spray the magnet with activator. I make sure that I get the magnets the right way round by sliding off two magnets at once and fitting the lower magnet in the floor and the upper magnet in the key. Next it's the hinges, the lid stay and the latch on the front. Those damned hinges are acting up again and I spend some time firkling with them so that the lid sits square on the box. The fake floor is fitted, the lockbox locked and the mechanism tested by giving everything a spin and trying out the 'handle key'. All I have left to do now is fit the self adhesive black felt when it arrives that Ellie has ordered for me. So from this... ...to this!
  29. 11 points
    That's the pit clear out completed as of this forenoon. Found all sorts of gear down there. Sadly a lot of it has gone to the industrial burner. Although the pit is water / puddle free, it was somewhat damp and over time has degraded much of the gear. However there were six 1 gallon glass demi johns, lots of home brew / wine making gear - All will be sold / given away. Ski's / poles / sledges. Children's games, nick nacks, ornaments etc etc. Also a set of four rather tired original Ford Granada MK2 rims with Norwegian studded winter tyres on them. The tyres are in surprisingly fine fettle, probably due to lack of sunlight. What was surprising is that those rims are nowadays selling for around £200:00 on Fleabay - Result So, the whole house inside / outside, garage, pit are now complete. Got to sell some gear now to keep the clutter down. Finished just in the nick of time too as tomorrow I am working on a tiler mates project for the next six days, he needs a hand, the renovation project is unoccupied and I have been assured I will be in one room on my todd for the whole week so can maintain being anti-social. At last I'll be earning some rare and much needed beer chits Griff
  30. 11 points
    I feel rather sorry for the BA. They feel they need to be seen doing something constructive regarding the virus, yet there's not a lot that they can do. I agree that "side on only" mooring isn't perhaps the best option, and that blocking alternate moorings might have been a better one, but at least give the BA credit for trying to do something. Trust me, there would have been enough bricks heading their way had they done nothing!
  31. 11 points
    Got a little surprise in the post today in the form of a poster I bought on ebay and then promptly forgot about.......
  32. 11 points
    I wanted to call this post "My family and other battles" but thought better of it. My father very rarely spoke of “his war” and for a number of years I had thought that he must have had it pretty bad. It was only in later life, when one day I asked about it, I found out that for the most part his time was, aside from one incident, uneventful. He spent time in Italy, where he failed to learn Italian, and he spent time in the desert, where he failed to learn anything else. … no, not quite true. It was in the desert where he learned that the only weapon he had been equipped with, an army issue revolver, was as much use to him as a chocolate tea-pot. The gun was fine, but at 25 feet he couldn’t hit a 50 gallon oil drum. It was this fact that lead to the only noteworthy incident he had. My father was a dispatch rider. He spent his time bombing around the desert on a motorbike, delivering messages here there and everywhere, and for the most part, enjoying it. He had been given a dispatch to deliver. He was going pretty much flat out on a dodgy bit of track and in the distance he saw another dispatch motorbike heading in the opposite direction, coming towards him. As they neared each other, dad realised that the other rider was a German. It was also apparent to him that the other fellow had also recognised the situation. Two things happened at more or less the same time. They both started fiddling with their holsters to get their guns, and they both fell off their motorbikes. Dad explained to me that falling off his motorbike was something he was well practiced in, more so than the German, as dad was on his feet first, and had his revolver in his hand. The German had dropped his gun whilst falling off his bike so stood there terrified with his hands as high in the air as he could get them. Dad, being pleased (and just a little bit proud) that He’d got the “drop” on the German, but being well aware that the German was in no danger whatsoever, beckoned to the German to move back. He picked up the German’s gun, looked at it blankly and through it as far as he could. Returning to his bike, knowing that he couldn’t take the man prisoner, and equally knowing that he couldn’t shoot the German even if he wanted to, He picked up his bike, started it and rode off. He assumed that the German would look for his gun and do much the same. That was the moment my father suddenly realised that it might just have been a good idea if he had taken the German’s dispatches from him. He also realised that it would be a pretty good idea if he didn’t mention any of this to anybody else as well. That was the only “action” my father saw. And now for my mother’s war. Unlike my father, my mother would talk incessantly about the things she saw and did during the war. Although a schoolgirl at the start of the war and one who was evacuated from Leigh-on-sea to Mansfield, by the end of the war, she was back in Leigh, and working in a drawing office. My mother had had her education in art school which had set her up nicely to be a draughtswoman. There was an electronics business just outside Southend called Ecko which specialised in radio and for the later war years she worked for them. She realised that when the war was over, she would be out of work when the soldiers returned. She also knew that she would need some sort of “portfolio” of her work if she was going to get another job in a drawing office. Now, we all know that the best way to keep a secret is not to let anyone know that you have a secret to be kept. Ecko worked on that principle. My mother had no idea that the drawings she was working on were secret, and as there was little in the way of security, she assumed they were unimportant. So, for some of her drawings, she made an extra copy. These were transported home in the basket on the front of her bicycle. These drawings were of a device of which she knew nothing. It was a version of the Magnetron. So, in short, my clueless mummy was cycling around Southend and Leigh-on-sea with the primary secrets of Radar in her bicycle basket. Many people are proud of their parents and I am no different. My pride is that they both managed to survive the war without being stood up against a wall and shot… by either side!
  33. 11 points
    A quiet August day on The River Ant. A wild mooring at Mud Point can provide some great entertainment! Not in the same class as Ludham Bridge in a good summer blow, but never the less well up there!
  34. 10 points
    I had a nice run out on the river yesterday. The weather was perfect as the wind from Saturday and Sunday had relented. It was quite busy at the usual spots Bramerton etc, even mudweighting it was had to get a spot. Empty at the Ferry house though! A bit of wild swimming in the broad (sooner him than me!) John
  35. 10 points
    As for becoming political Dominic Cummings is not a politician but an advisor, a public figure in the same way as leading business men and women, sports people . Whether he has broken the letter of the lock down restrictions or simply the spirit of them I think it is quite reasonable that those of us who have stuck to them rigorously should be allowed to voice our disapproval.
  36. 10 points
    The world has gone mad, This is a report from fb but knowing the area and the company I have every reason to believe it is true. A warning to all: avoid using Aldi in Gillingham at the moment if you can. I've just got back from a truly awful there shopping trip. Having queued up, patiently and socially distancing, as I neared the entrance a shop worker clipped a carabena onto the belt loop of my jeans, my perplexed expression must have said it all as she explained that whilst people are distancing in the queue outside, they aren't distancing once inside the store. So what some Donut has dreamt up is to rope 6 ir so customers together with 2m of rope between each of us WTAF. Well these are strange times and with the threat of a second wave of infection I thought I'd best not complain and just tow the line (so to speak). I'm telling you now, what an absolutely idiotic idea this is. We've negotiated our way in to the store, some with trolleys and others trying to grab a basket before the berserk conga line drags them away. I'm was near the middle of the rope picking up some veg, the woman at the front, who was trussed up like a kid in a harness was trying to drag the whole line to the apples and the bloke at the back trying to pull the other way to get his hands on last weeks courgettes which were now this weeks courgette offer. It was like tug-of-war for the deranged. It's embarrassing to say, but I lost it, started ranting and raving about the rope and how the hell are people meant to shop like this, I went to unclip the carabena which miraculously brought the attention of the staff who told me I'd be asked to leave the shop if I uncliped. "FFS we're not rock climbing, we're trying to buy cheese" are words which I'll carry with me to my grave. Strangely this outburst had the effect of bringing our train together as a team. We carried on now with lots of communication, people passing stuff along the line to other to fill their baskets. Now I know passing things to one another could spread the infection as much as person to person contact but I honestly think if we hadn't of done, I'd still be there now. As we started along the aisle I generally refer to as "biscuits and creosote", it was clear from the melee that all was not well in the adjacent aisle. As far as I could tell there had been 2 trains of people and a lady in the middle of one chain had ducked under the other to get her hands on a pop-art cat bed. The tangle had resulted in a multi-pedestran pile up in which the epicentre resembled the diety Durga, it wasn't clear how long they'd been there but one old chap was trying to free himself by feverishly sawing at the rope with his house keys. We navigated the remaining aisles without major trauma, other than having to rescue Doreen (2nd in line) after she fell in the chest freezer trying to reach the last beef Wellington. We were individually unclipped prior to the till, at which point any cameradery we'd had quickly evaporated as everyone scrambled for the first available till. With the ordeal still impeding rational thought, it was a welcome and familiar sight to have the check out throw all my shopping on the floor in the normal 1000mph fashion. I really did not appreciate being strung along like that, but I hope you did.
  37. 10 points
    Monday 23rd March As usual, I was awake early. I think it’s just habit as I’m up to get ready for work at about 04:30 anyway. The heating, immersion and kettle went on and I had a cuppa whilst waiting for the water to heat for my shower. The wife pulled some clothes on and took Harley for her walk. The weather was much the same as the previous day, clear, windy and cold. I had a quick look at the internet, Forum and Faceache and wished I hadn’t. Unsurprisingly, Coronavirus had taken over the media and it was all very depressing. I showered and dressed, wondering when the next opportunity to do that back on board would be likely to be. Debbie had returned by that time so we had toast before she went for her shower. I took the opportunity to grab a few more photos. It was probably around 10:00 before we cast off and headed back towards St Olaves. The river was predictably quiet as we headed back up the Waveney, turning left along the New Cut and into Reedham, which was like a ghost town. I don’t recall passing another boat on the river all the way back to the BA moorings at Short Dyke (Rockland), where we stopped for lunch and to pack up our things. We were obviously conscious of the potential for some kind of lockdown by then, so had decided to clear the fridge and turn it off, instead of leaving it running with some essentials in it and take home anything that might go our of date from the cupboards. The wife cooked some cheese on toast for lunch before I wandered about with my camera again. It was another beautiful, cold spring day, with just a few wispy clouds in the sky. The view across Rockland Broad was wonderful, with the first signs of new life just beginning to be visible in the trees and shrubs. I really didn’t want to leave, but knew that I had to so we sadly cast off and headed across the broad and up Fleet Dyke to rejoin the Yare. It wasn’t long before we were back in Brundall and chugging slowly back up the dyke to our home yard. The crosswind made mooring slightly problematic but it didn’t take long before Norfolk Lady was safely berthed in her home moorings. We changed the bedding and towels, finished packing our things away, loaded the car, vacuumed the boat through, turned off the gas, fridge and water pump, set the battery charger, collected the bag of rubbish and locked her up. Neither of us knew then how long it would be before we would be back again and we were both really sad to be leaving. The journey home was uneventful, the roads were almost deserted and it was clear that the advise to stay at home was being observed. We had to call into see my mum in Milton Keynes on the way and I am pleased that we did, as we haven’t been able to see her since due to her health and other restrictions. We arrived home around 20:30, it had been a wonderful weekend away. The weather had been clement, we had been where I had planned to go and there had been no issues with the boat. However my mind was in some kind of emotional turmoil – we obviously didn’t know when we would be allowed to return, there was a degree of worry about the potential that the virus carried and what the future would hold. Worrying times were to follow. . . . . . .
  38. 10 points
    Alderfen Broad is worth a visit at any time of the year. Nice quiet walks. That poor boathouse looks worse every time I go there. Plenty of wildlife and nobody about. Nigel (sunny Ludham)
  39. 10 points
    Can’t you all just be happy that you can get out on your boats for the day as owners as long as you can get to it? We’re not allowed back to our caravan yet and there’s not really much difference. Get out there and enjoy the rivers sensibly and safely in this lovely weather. I’m sure the B A are trying to do their best in unusual circumstances for which no one had a rule book.
  40. 10 points
    There will still be money, and there will still be entrepreneurs. If there are no pubs on the broads, someone will start opening some. The same applies to any profitable business, and that in a nutshell is a simplistic take on the worst case scenario. But. and I hope our local members will correct me if I'm wrong, the food shops will still have been trading, some of the smaller ones possibly busier than before. Yes, hire fleets have been mothballed, but private owners have still been paying mooring fees. Commerce will still have been ticking over. However I see another problem, a bit "chicken & egg" I suspect that when private owners are allowed to use their boats fully, the recently de-mothballed businesses will be overwhelmed by a flood of visitors. Whilst income for many has been hit, there have been savings too. Not pubbing, buying less fuel etc. etc. I shall be one of that flood, I shall be trying to support local broadland commerce, and when the pubs reopen I shall spend even more! I shall do my bit.
  41. 10 points
    My Mother In Laws Doctor passed away at the weekend. He was 84 years of age and still working till he got the virus.There was a big funeral procession today in Clacton for him and it was covered by Look East news.His Wife who is a Nurse also had it but she has since recovered thankfully. Ivy (MIL) is 99 years young and in a nursing home now, We have decided not to tell her as she held him in such high regard and we don't want her upset. He had been Ivy's Doctor for the last 45 plus years and looked after her husband when he was dying. I'm pretty sure there isn't a person on here who doesn't know someone who is fighting this virus. We are living in very strange times, I hope and pray that these times improve for all across the world.
  42. 10 points
    My daughter has recently moved house and the large "lawn" in the rear garden is needing more attention than her existing electric mower can provide. I have a 25 year old Hayter mower, which I had given to my other daughter, but which was returned because it wouldn't start. With time on my hands, I decided to try and fix it. Much watching of Youtube videos later, I felt sufficently clued up to do the job. In my experience, the thing that usually kills mowers is dirty petrol, so I cleaned out the tank and carburettor. I reassembled it and refilled it with clean fuel, but it still wouldn't start, Spark plug out, a few pulls of the starter revealed no spark. More googling and some impedance testing revealed that I needed a new induction coil for the magneto, so it was online to a UK supplier of Briggs & Stratton bits, who fortunately had the item in stock for immediate delivery. 3 days later it turned up and I fitted it. Now we have a big fat spark, so I primed the carburettor, pulled the recoil starter and it fired second pull. Unfortunately it ran like a dog, over-revving, then under-revving, so my attention turned to the governor, a cunning arrangement of fine springs and levers. The springs had been stretched and bent badly out of shape, so on to Ebay, where I found the required spares. I also treated the mower to a new air filter element and a new gasket for between the carb and fuel tank. Three days later, I fitted everything in accordance with Youtube instructions and fired up the engine with trepidation. To my relief, it sprang into life on the first pull of the cord and now revved strongly and evenly. An oil change and clean later, and it is ready to pass on to the next generation once more. I was amazed that you can still get all the bits for a 25 year old piece of kit and wonder if the machines being sold now will be as repairable in a quarter of a century's time.
  43. 10 points
    Well, looks what's turned up in my garage, a handed matching pair in pristine condition too How did I come to have them? - Not a scooby, my Late Dad no doubt procured them Griff
  44. 10 points
    I'm remembering my friend Bill. He was in his early nineties when I first met him. A little bloke not much over five foot tall, can't have been more than six stone wet through. A couple of years after we met he asked me to help him move some furniture in his living room. On his wall were framed medals and photographs. "Are these yours Bill?" I asked. "Those were my fathers. He was at Scarpa Flow, those are my brothers he was with the Gurkha Rifles in Burma, these are mine." Framed there on the wall was the VC. Bill would never say what his VC was for but he did tell me he was one of the crew of HMS Amethyst during the Yangtze Incident in 1949. I asked Bill if he was in the film they made about it but he said he wasn't. I asked him why not? "Because John Wayne couldn't do a Lincolnshire accent!" was his reply.
  45. 9 points
    It is so easy to be a critic, they are dammed if they do or dammed if they don’t. I personally think that under these extremely difficult circumstances, they are doing ok.
  46. 9 points
    Had to share: So proud of our super talented and gorgeous daughter Katie who is in her first year of studying Technical Theatre at St Mary's University in Twickeham, she has just had a zoom meeting with staff and students at the Uni and the surprise announcement was that Katie was the joint winner of the annual Eric Yardley Award. Each year the award is shared between acting & technical and is awarded to the student who has been the most outstanding and deserving. With the award is a bursary which will help to pay towards Katie's future studies. Was the outstanding student at Kendal College and now St Mary's....well done Katie...xxx Christmas tree!....don't ask.
  47. 9 points
    We should all remember the Governments aim isn't to restrict our freedom, it is to save lives. Last night I watched a programme following three businessess since the start of lockdown. The engineering company struggling to survive, eventually supported by a government backed loan. A plant businesses with no one to sell to who gave the plants away to local people with a note explaining they were a free gift to them, they recieved substantial donations that will keep them going. Finally the private mortuary company in Essex. This covered three boroughs and serviced the hospital and local authority removals. Normally they have less than 100 bodies in their care. On one day they collected over 90. They have needed to install 5 40' refridgerated containers and convert the vehicle store to deal with the crisis. They now hold 500 bodies awaiting funerals at any one time. This is the reality of what the government is dealing with. It was a very sobering programme and puts into perspective our urge to go to our boats.
  48. 9 points
    Il probably get a lot of hate for this but... Its about common sense. Mitigation. Doing what's best for others but with a caveat, this isn't going away, there isn't going to be a vaccine this year. Yes protect the NHS, Yes slow the spread but be under no delusion that it's going away. You still need to have some quality of life, and if you're local to your boat, go down to it, enjoy yourself while you can, you might catch it next year. Let us not forget that the economic disaster and mental health crisis that is currently happening will cost lives, so if you can order some new Nav lights and go down to the boat and fix them on, then crack on. If it's doing a little for the economy and a little for your mental health then I can't see any issue. And maybe most importantly, when you see the death figures, Google some other statistics. Odds of heart disease, cancer etc and the population of the UK. There's plenty of better things to be terrified of.
  49. 9 points
    Not from today's cold, but yesterday's warmth. This place, Post Hill, is a nature trail five minutes from where I live. It was a lovely warm day, and a pleasure to be out (exercising!!!)
  50. 9 points
    A bit of a rough day yesterday. I woke up very late about ten thirty. The reset button must have been pressed during the night. Sometimes I get days like this. My personal theory is that the old damaged noodle has discovered a new connection and has rewired itself overnight. I feel crap for a day or two but usually find I have a bit more function afterwards. If I don't, then zzzzzpt...the bonce resets again. I'm expecting another reset as I feel extremely agitated. Doug, Dave & Selsie will be proud of me as I have used some of my new found engineering skills. What happened was, I confused a tin of Stagg Dynamite Chilli for a tin of Dylan's dog food. All went well until the morning when Dylan's bum exploded. “I reckon your big ends gone!” I informed Dylan using my new found knowledge as I let him outside and I donned gloves and broke out the cleaning gear. See? I'm learning! A quick firkle in the house and I discovered quite a few purchases that had been bought, put to one side and I never got around to using them or in some cases forgot I ever had them in the first place. I've started quite a little hoard. So far there are two new razor saws for veneering. A Veritas dovetail marker set to the correct angle for hardwood. There's also the Veritas dowel former in imperial measurements. My rubber mallet for hitting rubber nails. Two 'T-slot' quarter-inch shank router cutters. Good game, good game. A box of magnets I'd bought for box lid catches, several machine spanners, a cuddly toy, assorted drill bits, screw driver bits and plug cutters. An early night as I was feeling rubbish.'Zzzzzpt'. I woke up very early again and feeling 'bleah'. I had a case of the 'dropsy' and managed to smash my favourite coffee mug. Managed to clear it up, got the coffee going and after taking my meds and morning coffee I decided on a shower. I am incredibly lucky in that my entire bathroom has been adapted with hand rails and the like. The best thing is that the entire room is a wet room. The shower is incredibly powerful and has soon massaged and pummelled enough life into me to risk getting shaved. Floris No 89 this morning I think with Atkinson's 24 Old Bond Street Triple Extract Cologne. Feeling human again, I take the dogs for their morning stroll through the woods. Lilacs are flowering and Lords and Ladies too here and there. Everywhere is fresh, lush and green. This could not be said of some of the fields we saw on the way to Lincoln. Despite recent rain irrigation systems were in operation along the Tillbridge Lane. Ellie get's annoyed with me in these conditions as I can't help but pull the car over as we crest the Lincoln Edge to look for crop marks in the parched fields. We are on our way to visit Ellie's parents to continue fitting the new locks, cameras and lighting. Our route takes us through the villages that saw the end of the Pilgrimage of Grace during the reign of Henry VIII. I can't help but wonder if it was my love of Tudor history that helped form the bond with Royal Tudor? My favourite King? Henry VII because of his radical reforms. I had to chuckle as we got on with cutting metal plates for to back the hasps and fitting them. It used to be the case that I would stand back waiting for instruction from those that knew better than I did. Today was an indication of how much I've learned over the last few years. Watching someone struggle to drill holes in a plate while it's clamped to a door prompted me to ask why they didn't use the pillar drill sat on the bench? “But we'd have to take the door off to fit it under the drill!” “Why don't you use a punch to mark the holes and just take the plate to the drill?” My reward was being asked to contribute to the plan of action for fitting the camera and my decision to fit the camera the following day being accepted. I also managed to acquire a hefty piece of brass plate which will be part of yet another project I'm working on! Details to follow. Two days roll into one and after a good night's sleep I'm walking the dogs through the woods when I come face to face with a MAMIL as discussed in another thread a Middle Aged Man In Lycra. This one was riding a mountain bike doing laps through the woods as fast as he could. The first time he zoomed past me I had to jump to get out of the way. The second lap he forced a young mother with a toddler and a pram to jump off the footpath and into a patch of nettles. On his third lap he suffered a Covid related injury as I stood my ground and forced him off the footpath and into a tree. If anything the tree was more belligerent than me as it too refused to make way for the MAMIL. I checked the tree for damage. These oaks were planted in 1715 following the great storm. There's not many of them left, where as there is an epidemic of pillocks on pushbikes. As it turns out there was also an epidemic of Middle Aged Women on Geegee's that morning too as the MAMIL now walking his wonky pushrod was forced off the FOOTPATH by a woman cantering her nag through the woods. Back across to Lincoln to finish installing the video camera system. What a lot of faffing about! I was in my usual role of gopher and doing the fetching and carrying and holding of ladders. When it came time to drill the hole through the brickwork for the camera cables it was discovered that the management did not have a masonry bit large enough. One was going to have to be purchased. Of course all eyes dropped to me as I have a Screwfix account. So a quick firkle on the phone and a 25mm masonry bit was ordered and ready for collection. It was a bit like old times on RT as Watson and I headed out in the CooCoo to a hardware store for bits and pieces. Once the holes were drilled, again all eyes fell on me as the camera and it's software needed installing on three phones and a computer. I'd rather have been doing the drilling. I really, I mean really hate dealing with other peoples computers, especially when those people never do the updates. The camera was designed to work with a phone app but all of the higher functions apparently could only be adjusted via a PC. After a lot of mucking about I got the apps to work on Watson's phone, my phone and Ellie's phone, but neither Ben Gunn's tablet or his laptop would play ball. Of course, turning on both machines meant sitting through two hours worth of the updates that Ben Gunn 'didn't have time to waste in doing'. With the application working on three phones we would be able to monitor what was going on anyway, so we got on with mounting the camera in its location. A phonecall with Watson on the way home and Ellie and I decided we would give Ben Gunn my old phone, which has all of the software updates, as a dedicated 'security' phone. That way we can leave the software running on it and if we put a pay as you go sim in it too he can dial the police should he need them. On the way home we also noticed that the system was working perfectly and in real time as all three phones kept getting alerts. Back at home we rang Ben Gunn and Nanny who came out to wave at us over the camera. As the evening rolled on, Ellie and I have discovered a new reality TV series. It's the Ben Gunn and Nanny Show! Apart from the antics of the main characters there is also a supporting cast of a fox, a cat, three ducks, two and a half million moths and the bats that fly around eating them. All in glorious HD and an alert going off every time one of them moves in front of the camera. Beep:Moth Beep:Cat Beep:Moth Beep:Moth Beep:Moth Beep:Moth Beep:Fox Beep:Moth Beep:Moth Beep:Moth Beep:Moth Beep:Moth Beep:Moth
  • Create New...

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.