Jump to content


Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 20/09/17 in all areas

  1. 11 points
    I think that is pretty relevant! What we do know is that there are some differences in opinion and before we line up in allegiance order, perhaps we should wait for the facts! If we had waited for the facts at Thorpe Island, we could have saved many many pages of supposition! This is a personal view but I think it somewhat below the standards of this forum to call individuals "names" which could even be a tad derogatory - do we even know that Prof Burgess is one of those hallowed persons everyone on this forum now seems to call her? Very few of you have even met her yet feel it appropriate to call her by other than her proper name? Probably me being sensitive but then I am...!
  2. 3 points
    This nonesense is all about reducing peak load and nothing to do with efficiency per se. The amount of energy required to boil a fixed volume of water is the same if the kettle is 100 W or 1000 W all that changes is the time over which that energy is transferred to the water. The people who thought up this rubbish are or were scientific illiterates and shouldnt be in charge of energy policy in any way. It buys into the pre-conception that domestic use of electricity is a major issue. Therefore we must do something...This is perhaps partly true but not in the sense that most folks assume. One of the biggest uses of electricity domestically is the provision of water in the home to flush it down the loo. Many folks don't give it a seconds thought that you turn the tap and water comes out, why would they. Every single millilitre has to be pumped, mostly uphill by the most humongous water pumps, then boosted several times along the way by humongous water pumps. The old joke about the bond film ending and everyone rushing to put the kettle on is true but the bigger issue is everyone rushing to the loo and flushing it. Billions of gallons of water would need to be moved instantly way more than the energy required to boil the kettles which may take two or three minutes. Remember kettle efficiency used to be measured by how quickly it boiled your water. Not anymore.....You can't make this stuff up. Oh and these are EU commission requirements. Most countries that have these capabilities have something called the spinning reserve that gets switched in at the right moment. In CH this is easy as its Wasserkraft as they say. (hydro electric). Uk its both this and the non renewable sources (until someone invents a way to store it of course) Hydro is such storage of course but not everywhere is like switzerland with valleys everywhere. The equation is simple with electricity if you have efficient electric motors and most are these days then reducing the number of Watts just makes the task performed take longer. 1000 W x ten minutes is the same as 500W x twenty minutes. If we cast our minds back and remember the old black and decker ads from years ago. Their drills were always sold on how many watts it was. the Bosch equivalent never had the same wattage value. the reason was simple Bosch used a very efficient electric motor and Black and Decker didn't so the wattage had to be higher to achieve the same torque values from poorly wound motors. I'm sure there are enough sparkies on here who can explain that better than me. My knowledge is purely from the physics perspective. Rant over... Post Brexit please let us go back to old style bulbs that don't require me to immediately ventilate the room and leave for 15 minutes, not walk on the area with the bulb in then use sticky tape to pick up the phosphorous powder in the carpet. That follks is from the US EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) that then goes on to say dont worry at all it's not an issue. (say what! leave the room ventilated, get out and do not re-enter for how long? Not an issue! Huh go figure.) LEDs are fine but not universally liked. How come its not ok to eat minute quantities of mercury in fish but it is OK to inhale it if I break a bulb? Medically speaking inhalation is waaaaaay worse. We can metablise mercury at low levels so consumption technically is natural but I draw the line at breathing it because the commission tells me I must to save the planet. M
  3. 3 points
    The video is now complete and uploaded to Youtube here: This time it consists of a lot more stills and less video of the rivers. Enjoy (I hope)
  4. 3 points
    heard a great thing on telly last night.... how to confuse a woman...... give her some chocolate shoes.......... eat them or wear them
  5. 3 points
    They don't want anyone taking the p***
  6. 3 points
    It could almost be construed that Mr Knight is being persecuted by the authority for not toeing the party line.
  7. 2 points
    Well that was “That Was The Week That Was”, it must be the worst for weather that we have had in 28 years or so. Generally enjoyable but could have done without the fog, rain and wind. Barnes are now supplying non-automatic buoyancy aids (the type with a pull cord), not sure if this is a good idea since you can’t pull the cord if you are unconscious. This was the second time on Encore 1 so I will not say much about the boat apart from the fact that more drawer runners had failed, the hinged glass hob cover was missing and she had obviously been crunched just by the helm position (and a different fender eye plate fitted), such a shame for a new boat. The pull ring on the Escape Ladder was also broken so that was now useless. Through the week we did notice that there were an enormous number of Cormorants about but fewer Grebes, I suspect this may go hand in hand since the Cormorants are basically greedy, haven’t seen so many for quite a few years. After our experience on Thursday I have decided that I really, really hate tinted windscreens, it was cold and raining with the windscreen misting up making life very difficult with having to get my wife to clean the inside of the screen every 5 to 10 minutes or so. The video this time will be very short, didn’t do much video but more stills, since I am sure most people who have seen our videos get bored with the same stretches of river every time. Met up with Meg (NBN member) twice and quite a few very friendly private boaters as well as hirers. As far as mobile signals are concerned every mooring we made had a 4G signal (Vodafone). Virtually every day we saw the Rangers out except for the very windy day (Wednesday) when they were nowhere to be seen, their boathouse at Irstead was all shut up as well that day. We didn’t use the TV at all nor the boats wi-fi since we were getting a good 4G phone signal which we just used for weather forecasts and news. Friday 8th September We had put down on the Arrivals Sheet for 13:00 and called into the yard at about 11:00 to let them know we were in the area, then it was off to Belaugh for sandwiches and coffee. We went back to the yard just before 13:00 to be told that the boat wasn’t ready so we sat in the car watching the black clouds gather just hoping that we would be able to load-up before it rained, wrong. After about ¾ hour there was still no sign of anybody going near the boat so I checked with the office again only to be told that she hadn’t been cleaned on the outside yet so I said we would accept her as she was since it was now pouring with rain and I could mop the decks later. With that we loaded up and finally got away from the yard at about 14:15. As usual we headed for Cockshoot and found plenty of space. We went for a walk around Cockshoot but nothing of much interest. Tea consisted of a home made Chilli Con Carne that we had brought with us. A beautiful full rainbow (with a secondary one even bigger) appeared later on in the early evening unfortunately it was too large and close to get a complete photograph even with a 12mm (24mm equivalent) lens. After having a shower the Towel Ring on the door fell off so it was out with the trusty Swiss Army Knife and managed to tighten the screw sufficiently for it to hold but it did need re-tightening a few times in the week since I didn’t really have the correct screwdriver. As usual it was early to bed in anticipation of an early rising for a sunrise. Saturday 9th September Well I did get a sunrise but not the best I have seen. After breakfast we made a decision to go to Barton Turf via a cruise around Malthouse Broad to see how full the staithe was. There were an enormous number of Swallows flying around Malthouse Broad, presumably topping up ready for the long trip south. There were four or five spaces on the staithe but we didn’t bother to moor since we still had plenty of water, in fact we only filled up with water twice during the week. Onward up the Ant we had to wait at Ludham Bridge for a couple of boats to come through and then it was past How Hill, which was pretty full, and on to Barton Broad. We made a detour to check out Gaye's Staithe where there were only three boats moored and then on to Barton Turf. On arrival at Barton Turf the section I wanted to moor on had a private boat pulled right to the end, I was in two minds what to do but decided that we would moor behind the other boat and then check if they were going to move. The other boat seemed deserted but a guy did come down to it and he told me that they were going nowhere so it was ok to stay where we were. The weather was not bad at all so the afternoon was spent watching the sailors and a model yacht. We did take a wander over to Paddy’s Lane since I was after photographing butterflies and dragonflies and managed a few shots on the upturned dinghies but there was very little around. Shortly after we got back to the boat the heavens opened again. Come evening the sky was lovely but no proper sunset available here. Sunday 10th September Woke at 06:00 to find a foggy morning. After breakfast we decided that Womack would be our destination today but was a little bit dubious about Barton Broad in the fog, we eventually decided to go for it and come back if we could not see two posts ahead over the broad. As it turned out visibility was just ok and by the time we got to How Hill the fog had pretty much lifted. Once again I had to wait for three boats this time to come through Ludham Bridge. Once on the Thurne we met quite a few Hunter’s yachts tacking towards us, all except one were very good but the exception surprised me, I was holding back ready to go behind him on his return tack but he decided to go between me and the reeds much to my alarm since I was pretty close to the reeds anyway. We did meet Albion as well but that was no problem. On arrival at Womack it was quite full so I chose a spot between two other boats but just as our stern was by their bows the boat on our port side decided to leave which had the effect of making Encore swing off track with his prop wash, not too badly recovered and with the help of other folk (water rather high making life difficult for my wife to moor) got safely moored. Not my best stern on mooring. Some time afterwards Encore 2 with Meg (NBN) & Jill came in and moored close to us. Ended up having a rather long chat to them only to find that Meg used to live on the same estate as us and now lives only 30 miles away, got chatting to another couple as well who, again only live 20 miles away, talk about a small world. An uneventful afternoon generally talking to other boaters, we did also fill up with water even though we still had half a tank left. Monday 11th September Neatishead was to be our destination today and the trip was totally uneventful. On arrival at Neatishead we found only two other boats there so I reversed in to moor on our port side one boat length from the dyke end. We walked up to the shop to buy some of their delicious nougat and then it was an afternoon talking to the owners of Mallard, which had moored in front of us, and the owners of an ex Russell’s boat who moored behind us. Some very heavy showers in the afternoon. Late in the afternoon/evening a yacht came up and moored right at the far end of the staithe in the middle (the staithe was now nominally full) followed by another shortly afterwards which moored behind the first thus blocking four cruisers from getting out. Tuesday 12th September Again an early rising. By 07:30 one boat had left and the second yacht pulled down to moor in his space, very considerate. We left at fractionally after 08:00. A nice day today, the only really good one, it was decided that How Hill would be our destination for the afternoon and night. We took a detour to Sutton Staithe for a pump out (£12) even though the gauge was still showing empty since in June we found that as soon as the gauge went off “Empty” it then very rapidly went to “Full”, we also filled up with water. After Sutton Staithe as we were passing the Irstead Ranger’s boathouse we saw a Kingfisher sitting on a post, unfortunately we had another boat close behind so stopping and turning was not really possible, just my luck. We had about 4 or 5 Hunter’s yachts to pass on the way down the Ant, all but one gave indications to me but I did have to shout and ask one who was all over the river. One arrival at How Hill we moored at the first posts just after the inlet, Hathor was no longer moored there anyway although some red and white cones remained where she normally moors. We took a fairly lengthy walk (in time not distance) around the house lawns and found plenty of dragonflies to photograph this time. We also got some decent shots of the Hunter’s yachts that we had passed down the Ant. We did see Waveney Stardust pass down and up stream which surprised me somewhat, so where is she based on the Ant? In the evening we walked down towards Turf Fen Mill in the hope of a good sunset which was not to be but we did see the amazing site of a Starling murmuration, photographs not good due to slow shutter speed dictated by lack of light but did get some video. Having seen the weather forecast I set an extra rope and ensured that the boathook and mop were tied down. Wednesday 13th September What a wet and windy night, was up at about 06:00 again to the sound of the wind but the rain had pretty much eased. We decided to wait for some time before setting off in the hope that the wind would die down a bit (it was keeping us on the quay side quite well) but by 09:00 decided that if we were going anywhere today we needed to do it and there was a bit of a lull. It was a case of kick the stern out, use the bow thruster and reverse to the inlet section to turn round since we were going to Sutton Staithe. I decided to turn the boat one way but the wind had the opposite idea so I let the wind have its way and all was well with no melodrama, thank goodness for a powerful engine and bow thruster. Because of the wind I decided to go the long way round the island on Barton Broad and on up to Wayford Bridge and then back to Sutton Staithe, only passed about one boat on the way up the Ant. We saw the Kingfisher again at Irstead but it was far too windy to think about photographs, also noticed that the Rangers boathouse was all closed up. On arrival at Sutton Staithe it was full but after turning and going back a boat started to pull out so it was back onto the broad to turn again. Once the other boat was out of the dyke we went back in and moored in their spot with the assistance of the owners of Mallard and Meg from Encore 2 who was moored just along from where we were now, it was still very windy even on the staithe with it blowing down the dyke from the broad. Few boats moved all afternoon with a fair number having stayed put since the previous day. In the evening we took a walk to the end of the dyke, again in the hope of a sunset, and got talking to the couple on Royal Velvet 2 and watched a Kingfisher flying across the broad and down the dyke a few times. Thursday 14th September A wet and dismal morning so it was decided that we would return the boat this afternoon and then go home since we are only 1½ hours away. After clearing all the windows (again) we set off waving goodbye to Meg and Jill. It was not a particularly pleasant cruise down the Ant because I had to keep the canopy closed due to the rain and the screen was continually misting up but that kept my wife busy wiping the screen for me at very regular intervals. I hate tinted windows since they make visibility even more difficult it these conditions. We stopped off on Salhouse Broad (mud weighted) to pack and clean the boat up (not that it was particularly dirty anyway), fortunately the rain had stopped by then but more was threatening. Once back at the yard they topped the diesel up and I got a refund of £69 so £31 pounds used, amazing how economical these boats are when you keep the revs down (never really had it above 1600 except negotiating yachts). Met Phil (Barnes engineer and NBN member) in the office and had a bit of a chat about the boat, likes and dislikes, and ascertained that they are having two more Encores but dates are uncertain, the third Serenade will be available from next April. All in all an interesting week and it was good to meet many friendly people. I will be putting a video/slide show together over the next few weeks and will then update this thread. If anybody knows the owner of “Mallard” “471S” and they would like to get in touch I have a decent side on view of them leaving Sutton Staithe and would be more than happy to send them either a digital or hard copy. The same applies to any of the people who may recognise themselves in the video on the Hunters yachts that were going down stream at How Hill. Next year it will be a bit of a change of routine since we have Swan Roamer booked in April and June, keeping our fingers (and toes) crossed for better weather.
  8. 2 points
    Has it been chained to an upended 'log'? I note that the dredgers have them aboard, does that make them 'floaters'?
  9. 2 points
    More likely to stop it being tipped over, in a previous life I ran a plant hire company, one of the favorite tricks when the loo was on site and occupied was to either tip it over..... or lift it in the air with a teleporter..... of such merry japes as a boy!!!!!!
  10. 2 points
  11. 2 points
    I had logged in with the wrong profile.... lol. Intelligence unit does not infer intelligence of the staff!!!!!!!
  12. 1 point
    Hello Bryan as you say what a week, thanks for your help with guiding Gill and I in at Womack also good advice on mud weight deployment, we saw several people really struggling with theirs. I had a chance to speak to the owner at Barnes when we returned, he took time when really busy to listen about tightness of bed space and frosted glass opposite the shower room. He did say it is helpful if users point things out. We had no problems with Encore 2 fixtures and fittings ok and it handled very easily and I held station at How Hill for a punting Wherry really well even if I say so myself ,not a boat to bump into! Happy days
  13. 1 point
    No that is a cctv (continuous crap television) pipe. Mind you there may be a tv in the cabin. No no no! Before somebody says something, all the workmen appear to be very butch!
  14. 1 point
    I would agree with Timbo that some of the wording in the letter is direct extracts from planning legisilation What you cannot do with planning is directly compare one permission with another, planning history and any conditions attached to permitted permissions have to be taken into consideration. That is why you need the full information to make a considered comment. Ray
  15. 1 point
    I'd say 90% BA Planning Department, with a signature penned by the dear lady. I'd be interested to hear Boatingman's opinion, but it reads like a pro forma statement.
  16. 1 point
    I agree with Ricardo in that the Authority should lead by example. However, it doesn't mean that they should apply for prior consent for their tent as it is, by definition, a temporary structure. If their temporary structure doesn't require consent then neither should Mr Knight's. Goose and ganders and the good thereof springs to mind on this one. Yes, lead by example, the Authority should apply the same rules to themselves as to others. Does anyone honestly believe that 'Granny's' letter was really written by the good lady? Perhaps it was actually written by the Doctor!
  17. 1 point
    If it were pinched the would it be an in-convenience? Is it in Great Yarmouth?
  18. 1 point
    I quote from 'Granny's' letter in the EDP, see following picture. Dear Professor Burgess, please read what you, or your ghost writer, has written in the EDP, inwardly digest and then ask yourself whether the same comments might not equally apply to Mr Knight's yurts. The answer is blatantly obvious, don't you think? A rather silly letter in my honest and sincere opinion.
  19. 1 point
    So things are moving and time for an update. I have had a few conversations with the Broker, who while acting as the typical hyperactive ‘estate agent’ character is also reasonable and helpful and not to pushing. He has done a great deal in a short amount of time and things are looking positive. First of all the fact the current owners are getting on in their years and no longer able to manage the boat, and indeed may have to give up boating altogether and not just downsize. This is as good as it gets so far as I am concerned since it was only owned by one couple and they have likely had a number of different boats over the years and this was their big ticket – custom built to their design and taste (which thankfully is neutral and not garish). The fewer people have owned a boat the less ‘tinkering’ goes on and if works have been done and it has been done by a professional it adds to the appeal so far a I am concerned. It has been on the market sometime – April 2016 and had a major price reduction this June. There is a healthy market for these types of boats, but generally people prefer the smaller engine options for increased range and economy – this having the largest engine option is perhaps therefore more niche. I have had it confirmed that the engines have had main agent CAT service history will all relevant paperwork and invoices. Works were carried our annually with anything that was flagged up being attended to. Furthermore, every year between October and April the boat was take out the water for a full underwater check up and kept on the hard over the winter period (nice). I also guess their mooring Contract runs from April to April, and that the yearly out of water time is included in theri mooring. It would be nice if such could be transferred to me, so that I am then in no rush and paying storage fees. The boat had a full survey completed in 2015. I am pleased to say that there is a pretty clean bill of health. I know that things can deteriorate but I am confident that matters should not have become suddenly shockingly bad in two years. The hull had a ‘professional’ mutli coat of Copper Coat anitfoul – but this perhaps was not done as well as could, since throughout the underside of the hull there are small 2mm-4mm blisters. Upon removing many of these it was found to be dry and where the Coppercoat was applied trapping air between the surface of the hull and the Coppercoat. There however were found to be a small number of blisters on the starboard chine at the waterline of an Osmotic nature – being between 4mm-6mm in diameter and when checked did contain liquid. Their number is small, location limited and to be expected with this age of boat. Sixty moisture readings over the hull were taken using a Tramez Moisture Meter varied on a scale of 0-100 to between 5 and 20. It was considered to be in the low range and therefore satisfactory. All sea cocks were tested and found to be free and working, the rudders are stainless steel and in good order along with the props (3 blade 37”) the cutlass bearings where possible to inspect were in good order and no play was found in the shaft, props or rudders. It was noted the hull above waterline is in a good and well maintained and presented conditions especially considering the boats age. Internally the stringers and where inspection was possible bulkheads and were found to be in a good condition. The recommendations where only 3 items in length: It is considered beneficial and good practice to remove the vessel from the water for as long as possible during the winter months in order to allow the underside to dry The condition of the osmotic blistering should be monitored for evidence of any further deterioration. The ongoing maintenance programme should continue. So two of the recommendations are the usual given whenever any sign of Osmosis are found – and since most boats have this I can’t say this report shows anything too bothersome. It certainly does not provide anything that is needed to be carried out and a reduction in price sought on the basis of the boats structure. So where can I get some wiggle room as to price? Well, firstly it’s been on the market for over 17 months, the sellers in this time have used the boat for 20hrs since the engine hours were taken when the boat first came to market. They are older, can’t use the boat and frankly may like to just get this boat of their hands and concentrate on retirement. The engine hours for year are a little higher than I might have liked (1,800hrs) others of similar vintage have between 860hrs and 1250hrs furthermore on the expectation of being sold, they skipped the 2017 service which is now 4 months overdue - it would be nice to have CAT do another prior to me taking the boat away to Norfolk. What I propose to do is take a risk on my part but have large carrot for the seller. I am going to do is go view the boat and I am sure I will be happy – then go in with a low initial offer, not subject to a further survey, and the cash can be in the Brokers account that day. It’s taken off their hands nice and smooth and I hopefully make a good saving on the already low asking price to spend out for some cosmetic works and upgrading of the electronics (already spoken to Broker and he is clearly also keen on this score as it is their yard who would get to do the works). I’ll update more when things begin to move – possibly in the next 10-14 days.
  20. 1 point
    He has blown his undercover cover, burn it Stuart and choose Phoenix as a new undercover cover, no-one will know.
  21. 1 point
  22. 1 point
    well they correctly identified it as a broads cruiser, then said they had never seen a model of one before. this evenings bracket was made, motor testing done - after 20 minutes the motor was still hovering around 0.7A and was barely warm - result, next to see how it performs on the water.
  23. 1 point
    "What a wonderful forum this is", do you know I was just thinking the same thing, as well as a boating forum it's a support network for so many other things, definitely one of a kind Grace
  24. 1 point
    Great write up. Waters Edge and the Ferry House, two of my favourite destinations, 5 and 20 minutes from my mooring.
  25. 1 point
    It's the Broads Triangle. Boats have gone missing on Ranworth!!! not uncommon to come out of there and your in a different time zone. Oh, sorry, that's just Norfolk

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.