Jump to content


Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 10/11/18 in all areas

  1. 14 points
    Unknown, but not forgotten. Remembrance Sunday On a cold November Sunday morn, an old man sits a while Looking though old photographs, he can’t help but smile They’re all there, all the boys, with hair cut short and neat Uniforms of khaki, strong black boots upon their feet. They met as strangers but soon became like brothers to the end Smiling at the camera, there could be no truer friends. They all took the Queen’s shilling, went off to fight the hun, Soon learnt the pain of loss once the fighting had begun. So many never made it home, lost on foreign shores Many more were injured and would be the same no more. The old man’s eyes mist with tears as he remembers every face Each of his fallen brothers and the killing which took place He proudly dons his beret, his blazer and his tie For today he will remember the ones who fell and died. On his chest there is a poppy, a blaze of scarlet on the blue He steps out into the cold, he has a duty he must do Once at the cenotaph he stands amongst the ranks Of those who marched to war and those who manned the tanks, He bows his head in reverence, as the last post begins to play And he wonders what will happen at the ending of his days Will anyone remember? Will anybody care? About the lads so far from home whose life was ended there? I wish that I could tell him, that he should fear not For this soldier and his brothers will NEVER be forgot We owe a debt of gratitude that we can never pay And this country WILL remember them, on each Remembrance day. Maria Cassee
  2. 12 points
    Matron and the grandchildren made this wreath during the week.
  3. 11 points
    I couple of weeks ago I posted on the 'My Day' forum a post about my first completed project from the 'Stained Glass' evening classes that I've signed up for this autumn. Really clumsy soldering - my first attempt! Jean (SwanR) suggested that I start off a new thread recording my further adventures with this class - so here goes! We had 'half term' off last week... (What's that about? It's not like we are in school and it was a week or a fortnight behind most schools' half terms anyway, depending on which authority you are under!) so I was quite keen to get back as I hadn't caught up with the rest of the class in the last session, having had a week off on the Broads mid-October. I turned up over half an hour early this week, as the Tutor had mentioned that he arrives early to set up, and he was quite happy for me to start to cut out the glass for the next project, which is a butterfly sun-catcher. I had cut out the paper templates for this at the last session. Using these templates, the next stage is to mark out the shapes on the glass using a 'Sharpie' pen, and then cut the glass using a hand-held glass cutting tool. For the first project we were given pre-selected glass, but this time we had been able to select our own glass from a batch that the tutor provided. I had selected a sort of green-blue glass at the end of the last session. Cutting out the glass was fine - I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, though I don't think my templates were very accurate! Inevitably, it didn't quite fit, and part of the process of preparing the glass is using a grinder to ensure that the glass is shaped properly so that it will fit together. After a bit of grinding here and there I was able to move on to the next stage, which is to put copper foil around the edges of each piece of glass. The copper is on a roll of about 1/2 cm (or less!) wide strips, and once you peel off the backing paper is supposed to stick to the edges of your glass. I got on okay at first, but then found that the copper just wasn't sticking to some of the smaller pieces. Tutor suggested I go and give my glass a good wash with hot water and detergent, and that worked - the copper stuck to the edges, which was a huge step forward. It was still really tricky to fix the copper with an even overlap both sizes of the glass though. Very, very fiddly! Still...I'm ready to go with the soldering next week! Not sure all my edges are where they should be though! Doh!
  4. 5 points
    The day to go home has arrived, Debs has left, with Tilly and Jack, but the BCE and I are staying on to meet a couple of the other owners that are coming to investigate why the hot air heating only really heats the forward cabin. It's not all bad thought, we are out on Moonlight Shadow in 6 weeks time :)
  5. 5 points
    Saturday 11th October Well, after another cereal breakfast I started the preparation for my disembarkation. I figured it would be best to wash the outside last so I set about cleaning everything inside from the front to the back. We need to have the toilet pumped out, fuel replaced and water tanks filled before leaving and seeing that Boulters (where we are moored) open at 8.30am, I was ready to get to the pump out station before any other interlopers tried it. This involved reversing into a fairly tight spot, which I managed at a speed so slow, to describe it as snails-pace would have been a misrepresentation and a slur on your average snail. I was taking no chances. Whilst the “services” were being seen to, I recalled that Boulters now occupies what years ago was King Line’s boatyard. In 1974 (I think) we hired a Calypso King for the week from them – they were brand new then – and on the last full day, we returned to the yard ready to hand back the next day. The Calypso’s were moored in a sort of tight bay and the only space available was at the far end, making it impossible to approach bow first as I would not be able to stern moor. The fuel station mooring was available as you enter the bay but it was strictly no mooring there. Hope you are all following this. So you needed to approach stern first, but there was no room to swing the boat around to stern first once inside the bay. The only way to do it was to go in bow first, tie the boat at the bow then let the engine swing the stern around. From there, the gap was just wide enough to reverse down the line of Calypsos. Once we were adjacent to the gap, I stepped off and pulled the boat into it’s vacant slot. I remember thinking at the time, well if my present job goes out the window, I have an alternative career to call on – sardine packer. So back to the present. The toilet was emptied and the boat refuelled so I slowly cruised back out onto the dyke and snuggled up to the moorings again. It’s funny how you think you have lots of time but that time starts going by and you start getting into a panic, which in turn induces electrical equipment to refuse to co-operate. Goosander has a vacuum cleaner onboard and it made light work of the carpets etc. It also has an attachment for upholstery but try as I did, I could not get it to fit. So having vacuumed the carpet, my only redress was to sweep the upholstery “bits” onto the carpet, so that I could then……vacuum the carpet again. I finished the inside and set straight to work on the outside. Just my luck, Goosander is moored near to a tree – this is autumn – it was covered in small, tiny leaves. So I thought here my colt 45 hose will be my best friend, which it was but it was still windy and the more you hosed off, the more was blown on again. Anyway, I hosed everything down topside, including the windows and was back inside with around an hour to spare. This is easy I thought, but then looking sat the windows, I could see they had dried all smeary both inside and out. Earlier in the week I had seen a bottle of Vanish glass cleaner but where was it? I looked high and low for it and it was only after I had found an alternative that I came across it, I think in the bedroom wardrobe (I think!). Eventually the cleaning was finished with about 5 mins to spare. The final job is to clean the bilge pump filter. Never done this before in my life so I asked for assistance from the Boulters chap who serviced the boat earlier. He showed me how to take it off, wash it and left me to reseat it. That done I took the last of my belongings to the car and went back to lock up the boat. However, I noticed that the bilge pump was running but with no water coming out. This is not right! The Boulters chap came to investigate it for me and it appeared that a new sealer was required. He said to leave it with him and I eventually trundled out of the yard at 11.20am. Thankfully, the new crew had not arrived by that time. What a palaver. I had been at it 3 hours and will definitely have to think of ways to streamline the task. I now have new admiration for how boatyards turn their craft around in such a short time. So as it was close to lunch time I decided to go to the Yare in Brundall before setting off for Leeds. Always my favourite place on the Broads and very underrated I think. The 8oz burger with chips was delivered and suitably calmed, I set off back home. Observations: It’s many years since I holidayed in October and the wide availability of moorings was a plus. I never had to worry about arriving somewhere early to get a space. There were a good few boats out however and it was noticeable how many were the luxury type. I was very lucky with the weather and that always makes a big difference. I worked in travel for 38 years and it was well known that this was the case. The questionnaires they sometimes give out on your return flight ask for your opinions but also ask what the weather was like to weight your answers. Goosander was great and it’s easy to see I have made a good investment. Once the share cost is paid (currently £5,000), then I pay just £880 per year for maintenance, or £220 per season if you like. My one week aboard Silver Symphony last June cost more than a thousand pounds so its easy to see it represents value for money. Well all finished now. Thank you for reading my tale, the encouragement and the comments. It makes it worthwhile writing. I am back aboard Goosander in December and I am sure that will be a very different experience. I am looking forward to it with excitement and trepidation at the same time. No images from the last day so here are a few which did not make the "A" list Photogenic! Mooring at St Olaves Outside the Fishermans Inn at Burgh Castle Another aerial of Horning Aerial of Acle looking away from the bridge Finally, which train station is this?
  6. 3 points
    Brilliant, just Brilliant. Probably the best post / photo I have ever seen on this forum. Well done and a huge thank you Griff
  7. 3 points
    Jocave. You have absolutely made the right decision. Ludham is far more than a holiday destination, it is a community. There are lots of things going on here, winter and summer. It is a great place to live, full of friendly people. You don't see any of this visiting on a boat. You have to live here to be part of it. The best way to get the most out of it is to join in. Don't forget to join us in the Womack Herons (Ludham's own boating and Social Club). I lived in London for 27 years but I always had my holiday home in Ludham and now we live here permanently, I would never go back to living in London again. Ludham has Parish Moorings at very reasonable rates. They are only available to residents and there is a waiting list. Expect to be on the list for 3 to 4 years. Come and see us when you move in. Nigel in sunny Ludham
  8. 3 points
    Zero privacy and sometimes rather less than some owners realize. We once sailed though Potter during the early hours and not everyone had drawn their curtains! One chubby pair, in matching yellow baby doll nighties, were gleefully disciplining each other, much to our amusement!
  9. 2 points
    And how often are we told to stop fussing when as mothers we go through that inevitable check list before they step out of the door?! Glad that Security got you in!
  10. 2 points
    I've looked aboard and it's a decent boat. The aft cabin is lovely and the saloon is fine although I'm not a fan of the armchairs which I think look dated. I think the Swancraft boats are a bit nicer for not much more money but Sparkling is a good alternative.
  11. 2 points
  12. 2 points
    Possessed? Me or Grendel? If it's me you're talking about there's too many 's's', too many 'e''s' and nowhere near enough 'i''s' for what I am!
  13. 2 points
    Not Jealous Not Jealous - Keep on telling yersen that Griff. Ludham Village would probably be my first choice to move to should I ever be in that position, and for just the reasons than Nigel has just mentioned Griff
  14. 2 points
    Had to break off from work this forenoon and get a new boot on the mighty Tiger. A Michelin Road Pilot 5. Now just need to get it scrubbed in Griff
  15. 1 point
    But after losing my phone in the water on Sunday I now have a new one all set up and I'll do my best :) Got up this morning to a misty start at Ranworth to what I think is going to be a beautiful day
  16. 1 point
    At least we fixed the heating today stev
  17. 1 point
    More next week. Classes are Thursdays. We had another trip to Bournemouth today to take Alec back to Uni after his ‘reading week’. Just as we arrived at the campus he realised he’d left his house/room keys at home in MK...typical! Graham started talking about doing the journey back with Alec, and then there and back again in the same day (mad what!)...luckily Security had a spare set of keys. Whew!
  18. 1 point
  19. 1 point
    I'm enjoying this thread very much. We used to have an archaeology storage facility next door to a stained glass craftsman's workshop. Absolutely fascinating and intricate work. More please Helen!
  20. 1 point
    Hi Matt, to be honest I am in two minds with regards to having the boat cleaned. On one hand it does save you from all the time and work involved, it takes me about 3 hours to fully clean the boat outside with considerable less time to clean the inside. On the other hand if you do not clean and inspect the outside of the boat you do not appreciate the condition of the boat, what gelcoat repairs are required in the winter service or what are just surface marks that can be removed with a bit of work. I also believe that as owners of a boat, we should take some pride in its appearance and do our best to keep it as pristine as possible. Leaving the cleaning to a third party (we have all used them from time to time) is the easy step, a bit like renting an hire-craft. We have some of our owners that used to hire and cleaned the boats as soon as they got aboard. We currently leave it to our owners to engage a cleaner or do the cleaning themselves. Regards Alan
  21. 1 point
    Hmmm. I employed a cleaner for about 5 years! All I wanted was someone to keep the superstructure outside clean. I'm moored next to a tree and the boat turns green quite quickly if it's not kept in check. Not the most successful engagement I've ever made!!!
  22. 1 point
    One of the best things we ever did on Thunder was employ a cleaner :-) Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app
  23. 1 point
    Very interesting Helen. A good craftsman can make something look so easy that is actually quite tricky to do. That copper foil is very pretty. I like the colour of glass that you have chosen. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses. :)
  24. 1 point
    Hi all, it's looking like Sparkling Horizon as the boat for our weekend. Last chance for any comments on alternatives, or indeed positive comments about her...the boat not Mrs Longjohn!
  25. 1 point
    Here's the view from my daily 'Office' It wasn't correct either as the top horizontal gap was too big for my liking so I had to cut another one, most distressing not to mention frustratingly annoying Griff
  26. 1 point
  27. 1 point
    I was at home today while the boiler was being serviced. To be fair I'm at home all the time!! The engineer said your cats in the garden. our cat has never stalked anything let alone a heron that's bigger than her. It was so funny watching her stalk it. Normally the blackbirds just hop past her. Then this afternoon the little devil was on the patio. Where was the damn cat? the heron deterrent on the pond needs upgrading. It's not working. The cat has been fired.
  28. 1 point
    I’ve always wondered about waterfront properties...how often do they get flooded and what are the insurance premiums like? I’d prefer to be on boat. Mind you, I’d love one of those properties in places like Belaugh which are on a hill overlooking the river. Sigh...
  29. 1 point
    Had a good walk at Felbrigg this morning. The woods were stunning reminded me of the Beech Woods of The Chilterns. Still I will be down there soon for a driven day.
  30. 1 point
    Womack Staithe (after I saw the 'Please moor stern on' signs)
  31. 1 point
  32. 1 point
    This morning's sunrise at The Bridge Acle. And of course a good picture from last night. Nothing lost yesterday. Now off to Potter Heigham
  33. 1 point
    Friday 10th October Blue skies welcomed me as I tweaked the bedroom curtain open. There was no wind and you would think the warnings were misplaced. I turned on the radio and the forecast was still the same. So I made a breakfast sandwich using up some of the remaining bacon and generally readied the boat for departure. I wished the couple in the next boat a pleasant holiday and arranged for one of the rangers to assist me by holding onto the bow rope to allow the tide to turn Goosander to face away from the bridges, before reversing out into the stream and on my way up river. I was on my way by 10am and thought as long as I keep mid-stream, any gusts of wind are not going to do me any harm. It’s a long old slog all the way to Horning in one go and there were hardly any boats on the river, probably heeding the weather alert. By now, the gusts of wind were punching the boat which made me think I was not going to enjoy coming into the mooring at Horning. By 2pm, I was turning into the dyke where Goosander lives taking a very slow cruise down knowing I would need to swing her around to get her into the mooring. Often, there is someone living on the boat behind Goosander’s mooring and I was pleased that on this occasion, they were not in residence. Anyway, I managed to come alongside without mishap and scrambled ashore as quickly as possible, grabbing the ropes to stop the wind from carrying the boat across the dyke. I made the ropes secure and noticed the amount of goose excrement on the walkway. Clearly, in Goosanders absence, every goose in Horning had decided to stake a claim. Two of the blighters we sitting comfortably watching me struggle. If it stayed there I would be walking it in the boat and it was slippy under foot so I used the nearby hose to wash the surface clean. Well most of it just splashed onto Goosander’s hull at first so then I had to wash the hull and the decks so by the time I had finished, I was soaking wet. Well, if I was wet, there was no way the geese were getting away with it so I chased them off the staging with my trusty colt 45 hose pipe. There were around 10 of them all squawking at me from the dyke and it took quite a few sprays before they decided this was a battle they were not going to win, and headed down the dyke to the open river making more noise than Status Quo at full pelt in a telephone box. After completing the task it was still only around 3pm so I decided to drive to Potter Heigham as I could not reach it by boat. I thought Lathams might have some of those PVC bench covers I saw earlier in the season which would be ideal to protect some garden furniture I have at home over the winter. Well, Lathams have most things but alas no bench covers. I wandered into Bridgestones and had a decedant peice of cake and a latte to make up for the wasted journey. By nightfall, the wind was shaking the leaves from the trees, though it has to be said, it was a warm wind. I decided to eat at the Ferry Inn this evening as it was much closer than the New Inn and I did not feel like a long walk in a battering wind. Upon entering, I could see there were no free tables, mostly because the room to the left of the carvery section had been dressed for someone’s wedding forcing everybody else into the remaining space. So I turned around and went back to the boat to make myself a meal from what I had left onboard. If I could remember what that was I would tell you but I am writing this some two weeks later and it’s gone right out of my mind. I had already started packing away certain items “ not wanted on voyage” and resigned to leave the rest until the morning. I had to be off Goosander by 11am. On your marks, get set..... Saw this at Ludham Bridge on the way to PH Lots of these about all week A couple of Goosander internal images
  34. 1 point
    Thursday 9th October It was just breaking light as I arose and knowing that I only had 45 minutes before I needed to be on my way, I opted for a toasted currant teacake for breakfast. Of course, because I was in a hurry, I could not get the grill to stay alight. In the end I resorted to holding each half of the teacake in tongs over one of the gas burners. Not ideal but it worked. So just time for a cup of tea and then I was off. Goosander was facing the wrong way but into the ebbing tide so a quick burst on the bow thrusters easily got me out into the stream so I could turn around. Optimum arrival time at Yarmouth was around 9 to 10am so I tried to pace the speed accordingly, thinking as I had done on the last holiday that if I arrive too soon the rangers at the Yacht Station may charge me twice – once to 10am and then for the following 24 hours. But then again, if I arrived too late to traverse the bridges, I would kick myself for having to turn around and go back all the way to Berney Arms. So I decided to slow my approach as the tide was adding speed to the trip. However, by the time I got to the start of Breydon, the tide was flowing in again wish it would make it’s mind up) and the height gauge was showing just 8 feet of headroom. So I decided now to put my foot down to get to the bridges before “access was denied”. Just before passing under Breydon Bridge, I called the Yacht Station and asked what the headroom was. The chap told me it was 7.1 feet – that’s how he put it but I guessed he meant 7 foot 3 inches. He told me not to dawdle and assured me I would get through OK. Within 5 minutes, I had hit the incoming flow of the Bure and doing my best to approach the bridges as slow as I could – just in case. One of the YS rangers came to meet me on his bike, checking the headroom and assuring me it was OK. So I passed under the first bridge noting around 3 inches clearance, then the next and with a huuuggge sigh of relief turned the boat around to moor into the stream, right alongside the electricity post, where the ranger was waiting for me. I had arrived smack on 9.30am and was NOT charged for two stay periods. The ranger told me when I called he could see there was a little over 7 feet clearance and as he knows the required headroom for this type of boat, and as he considered the bridge gauges to be a few inches out, our safe passage through was assured. They know their stuff and out of all the places you need to pay a mooring fee, this is the one I consider to be value for money! They tied my ropes for the night and over a settling cup of tea, I wondered what I would do with the day, being tied up so early in Yarmouth. I decided to have a walk along part of the perimeter of Breydon so I made my way past the train station, past the ASDA car park and stopped on a convenient bench to observe an egret in the shallows of the water. Everytime I got a little closer, it flew a few feet away but eventually plodded its way back to it’s “fishing pond”. I watched it for about 20 minutes, creeping further around the pathway to get closer but had to give that up when a group of people talking loudly rounded the corner before proceeding into ASDA. The egret also gave up and flew off. I have some nice images of it nevertheless. I needed a few items from ASDA too so on my way back I called in and arrived back at the boat around 2pm. It was a lovely day so I thought I would just stay on the boat watching the world go by. The next boat to Goosander, sharing the electric post, was a Commander from Richardsons. They are lovely boats and I told the skipper as much as I went by. We got talking and he showed me onboard. His crew consisted of his wife and himself and I asked how he coped mooring such a large boat. With the bow and stern thrusters, he could easily manage it. He had hired it a couple of occasions before and was a regular Richardsons customer. He always chooses one of the elite (or whatever Richardsons call them) cruisers paying anything up to £4,000 for two weeks in late June, together with a week in spring and a week in autumn. He is a regular at the YS and calls the rangers in advance, who then save the electricity post mooring for him, which he occupies for up to a week because he likes it there. It does no harm that his wife prepares bacon sandwiches each morning for the rangers. I told him it would be cheaper to stay in the Premier Inn across the river but he laughed that off. The YS was where he wanted to be. Come 7pm, I was on my way to the Kings Arms once more for my evening meal. It was very quiet in there. I ordered a lamb steak, which was a special for the night. Again, the food was really good. After that I returned to the boat to watch the final download of Killing Eve on my laptop. The weather forecast for the next day was a little concerning because the warm weather system we were experiencing was due to break down with strong winds and rain. Gusts of up to 45 mph were forecast from 11am. My plan for Friday originally was to stop of at Potter Heigham for lunch before returning Goosander to her home mooring in Horning for the evening. But the thought of trying to moor single handed in the cross winds of Potter did not appeal to me so I made my mind up to travel up to Horning in one trip come the morning. Sorry - no more drone shots now! Looking towards the Yacht Station from the road bridge at Yarmouth The Yacht Station (not a yacht in sight!) The Egret I asked him to stand up for this one Looking over Breydon bridge from the pathway alongside Breydon
  35. 1 point
    Tonight's view from Ludham Bridge. Off to The Dog later but just chilling for now
  36. 1 point
    Thank you the week is turning out really good. Not many on the Broads so Steve is giving me some lessons on boat manoeuvres too. These 2 little ones are loving it too
  37. 1 point
    A run down so far Day 1. Lost hat, father in law lost tobacco tin. I fell over a wall Day 2. Left iPad in cafe, had to turn round and go get it. Ipad retrieved. Steve dropped phone whilst mooring into water. Day 3. Bought Steve new phone (now with insurance). Retrieved hat and tobacco tin. Day 4. Well who knows so far so good.
  38. 1 point
    Totally agree about living close to where your boat is berthed. We retired 18 years ago and moved from North London to a village just outside Ely where our boat was moored on the river Gt. Ouse thinking it would be great not to have to do a long journey each time we wanted to go to it, especially as retirement meant we would be going more often. However unfortunately our marina changed hands and went from being idyllic to anything but! This prompted our moving the boat to the Broads. Far from finding the 1hr 45mins journey a nuisance we actually found we had re-captured that going away feeling which we hadn't even realised we had lost. Do I regret the house move? A bit, but the benefits make it worth staying, The medical care is infinitely superior to that we would receive where we used to live and as one gets older that is very important, Yes, I 'd prefer to live closer to our family and yes I will always be a London girl at heart but on the whole I think it worked out very well. Carole
  39. 1 point
    Guilty as charged your honour. I was indeed tilinG kitchen walls, plenty of cuttinG, in FinninGley also with a 'G' Griff
  • Create New...

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.