Jump to content


Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation since 09/01/19 in all areas

  1. 21 points
    So here we are again. Back aboard Swan Reflection 1. I’m posting from my phone courtesy of Richardson’s on board wi-fi so these posts may be brief! Good journey up from Essex. Nice lunch in Bridgestone’s Tea Rooms in Potter Heigham. Very good handover from a nice polite young man and out of the yard by 2. Very quiet cruise down to How Hill. Turned around and went back to moor at Irstead. Hurray! Finally I have managed to get on the staithe here! Took a walk to look round the church then on to the Boardwalk for a lovely peaceful look at Barton Broad. Beautiful even on a grey day. Now back on board with the heating on having a very quiet evening.
  2. 18 points
    Being both a boater and an active Angler, I too have a trotter in both camps. With regards to those that quote scientific argument on either side of maintaining or abolishing the closed season - I don't give a toss - Not even a nanno. I do however have an opinion and complete any surveys related to this hot topic I come accross I want the closed season maintained just as it is, not reduced but maybe extended if owt. My reasons are not scientific but they are my reasons, opinions and I'm entitled to them all the same. I do not expect others to agree with my opinions, just respect my right to voice them whether they are agreed with or not. I'll list a few of my reasons to continue with the closed season on the rivers of the Broads in no particular order. My list is not definitive and I maintain the right to add to it as I see fit:- 1) It gives the banks / fauna a respite. 2) It gives nesting birds a respite. 3) It give none nesting birds a respite. 3) It gives all riverside wildlife a respite. 4) It gives the fish a respite. 5) It gives boaters a few precious weeks of not having to keep a wary lookout for bank anglers camouflaged or otherwise. 6) It gives the rag-n-stick brigade full use of the river without having to worry about anglers. 7) It removes any potential arguments with regards to mooring / angling for a few precious weeks. 8) It gives no end of partners a respite from the Angler onboard a vessel choosing a mooring based on the prospect of fishing. 9) It gives non fishing partners the opportunity to 'Get Stuff Done' by their Angling other halfs. 10) It sometimes gets my blood pressure up witnessing out of season fishing but a chance to 'Do the right thing' - Report them! and finally 11) I like the closed season Griff
  3. 17 points
    Just to let you all know that today I forwarded £1000.00 in cheques to the Neuro Care Charity in Sheffield from family and friends in memory of Tan. Regards Alan
  4. 15 points
  5. 15 points
    “Badger hates Society, and invitations, and dinner, and all that sort of thing.” Kenneth Grahame,The Wind in the Willows At home, I have neighbours and acquaintances. Just like badger, I'm not much of a social animal. But the rivers and broads make friends of us all and Grace was more than a little intrigued to discover I knew more people in, on and around The Broads than I did at home. After receiving a royal salute from Vaughan on board his new boat as we left Simpsons boatyard, Gracie was wearing her thoughtful expression. “Timbo?” “Yes?” “Do all of you friends live in Norfolk?” “Not all of them, but a lot do.” “Do they all have boats?” “Some of them do, but not all of them.” “Why do all your friends wear silly hats?” “To stop their heads exploding!” The boat was fuelled, the dogs walked, Dylan and I were medicated and Ellie was still feeling delicate from three glasses of wine and a five thirty wake up call. Potter Heigham would be our destination for Grace to buy gifts for Mummy, Daddy and her baby brother Arlo. So while Ellie went back to her bunk, Captain Gracie and I helmed Royal Tudor down the River Ant. After talking so much about Princess Grace and while my queen is snoozing in the forward cabin I should say something about the majesty that is Royal Tudor. Built in 1960 my grand lady turns sixty next year. Believe it or not, boats do have a personality. To me, RT's personality is somewhere between Margaret Rutherford and Joyce Grenfell with the looks of a young Jean Simmons. It must be well over four years ago since I last helmed Royal Tudor in near solitude. Her time off the water has changed her in some subtle and not so subtle ways. In the past Royal Tudor was deft at manoeuvring, she could turn on a sixpence with the lightest touch of the helm where it takes some effort to turn her wheel now. I'm going to have to take a look at that. In motion RT sets her own pace. There is no hurrying her unless she wants to or she needs to. There is no need for fancy instrumentation, Sat Navs or GPS systems, not that there ever is on the Broads, as the old girl will tell you if you are going too fast. If you take her above a walking pace she will groan and grumble, rattle, creak and complain. Hit the sweet spot, RT will guide you to it, and she glides through the water with barely a murmur. If you need to overtake Royal Tudor, then you are speeding. Having said that, Gracie, Royal Tudor and I took it especially slowly on our trip to Potter Heigham. Plenty of time for me to order my thoughts and reminisce on forty seven years of visiting The Broads. I retrieved the set of folding steps I used in the past for Uncle Albert to disembark and set them up in front of the helm so that Gracie could stand on them to see over the cockpit and reach the wheel. It took us the distance from Stalham to joining the Ant for Grace to master keeping Royal Tudor in a straight line. “I know what to do Timbo, I can do it!” That little girl was fascinated by everything she saw. Trees, birds, wild flowers, stoats, the names and history of the landscape that glided past us. We nosed into Barton Turf so she could see one of our favourites mooring spots and turn the boat. Around The Heater we discussed shields and sword fights. Across Barton we discussed different types of sail boats (I have to learn more), weather patterns, cloud shapes, fish nets and ecology. Gracie helmed RT all the way down the river Ant, across Barton Broad, and further down the Ant to Ludham bridge. Along the way we encountered the wherry Albion under full sail. As we were just bimbling along we were happy to sit a way upstream and follow along. But soon there was a backlog of boats behind us, many of them new helms, and Albion had slowed almost to a stop. Before we could make our move one of the boats behind us decided that it was OK to go flat out and overtake all the other boats as well as Albion through blind bends and into oncoming boats. I edged RT further out into the river to stop the rest following suit and waited for Albion's helm and lookout to look behind and give an indication. “You pillock! Give us a clue?” I muttered under my breath. The first at another hire boat trying to come around us without noticing the huge wherry in front then suddenly going into reverse, and the second at Albion's lookout. Eventually the lookout looked and waved us through. So now with clear water ahead we continued our bimble. Before Ludham I spotted a familiar and welcome sight. Listing to port, probably under the weight of her master who was looking decidedly 'piratey', was Nyx under the command of a certain Maurice Mynah. Nyx was still in the distance when Gracie started to chuckle. "This is one of your friends Timbo!" exclaimed Gracie. "How do you make that out?" "The hat!" Ellie surfaced just before we reached Ludham bridge. Gracie wanted to try the horn as we went under the bridge.The temporary air horn inflated by bicycle pump was feeble to say the least. Gracie was somewhat disappointed. “That sounds like a duck trump!” declared Gracie before erupting into giggles. A new horn is something we need to add to the growing shopping list of items Royal Tudor needs. To this list can be added two new mooring warps, without which mooring is decidedly difficult having to swap lines from various parts of the boat when coming into moor. Through Ludham we headed to the Ant mouth and turned to follow the River Bure downstream. That weekend the Three Rivers Yacht Race was taking place, so I put on some revs and got a wiggle on to Potter Heigham hoping to get a mooring. Gracie disappeared below decks with Grandma but they soon arrived back bearing cake, biscuits and a cup of tea. I have a new found enjoyment of cake. I blame my very best friend Doug for this. Call a tea break and I can guarantee Doug will ask 'Is there any cake?'. It's either Doug's fault or I admit I've entered that stage of life where cake features heavily, as do sheds. We made Potter Heigham before tea time, 4 pm proper tea time, moored in the only open space opposite Herbert Woods yard river entrance (not ideal) and took the boys and Gracie for a walk into 'town' to stretch legs, before I headed back to Royal Tudor for a well deserved nap! More later!
  6. 15 points
    Home again ... we hadn't been on the road for long this morning when I wished that I was out of the traffic and back on the boat! And it always seems so funny that in ten minutes you drive along from Stalham, past Sutton and on through Potter Heigham whereas we all know how long that journey is by boat! Anyway ... time for some Reflections on Reflection ... The Boat - Swan Reflection is still a great boat to hire. Compact at 31 feet it is a little tight for space on board but ideal for a couple especially if you haven't got much experience. Plus it warms up quickly once you get the heating on. Great to steer - you can set the revs, set the steering and it will go in a straight line for as long as you need until you reach the next bend in the river. Comfortable bed, the seating has been re-upholstered at some point, decent size fridge and ice box plus a gas cooker as well as a microwave. Electric flushing toilet which does use a fair amount of water but is a nice little luxury! I would always highly recommend this boat. The Yard - We had only hired from Richardson's once before and that was at a busier time. It still feels like a holiday camp kind of check-in to me but the system works well. The staff were all very friendly and the young lad who did our handover and refuelled us this morning, was great. He asked how our week had been, asked if there were any problems with the boat and wished us a safe journey home. That counts for a lot with me and we would definitely go back. The Food - Always a highlight of my holiday because we don't eat out much at home and it's a treat not to be cooking. The Sutton Staithe Hotel was first class, Bridgestone's Tea Rooms in Potter Heigham was excellent, the New Inn was great value and good food as always. The Swan Inn was my least favourite, good service but overpriced and not as good food as everywhere else. That's just my personal opinion based on the meals we had on the days we dined in each of these establishments. Incidentally the Staithe & Willow in Horning was closed and looks to me as if it has just been sold from something I saw on a property website. The Wildlife - there was a lot of life in the wildlife ... if you know what I mean. Plenty of birds flying around in pairs. ;) But what a delight to see an otter and to see a good number of kingfishers around Irstead. Plus the sound of the owls in the trees after dark was amazing ... I don't get that living here in the city. The Firsts - I always like to try to tick some items off my "still to do" list. This week we moored at Irstead, we went right down Lime Kiln Dyke, and we moored on the public staithe in Horning. That was good enough for me. All About March - Finally my thoughts on hiring in March as this was only the second time that we have been out this early in the season. Don't forget that even if it is going to be mild for the time of year, you are not at home in your double glazed centrally heated house. So for me it is always going to be cold and my thermals were required every day! We had one sunny day, the rest was overcast and grey but it was dry although the breeze picked up on our last day. No bright sunny frosty mornings but I'll take that over wind and rain and ice. But best of all was the ability to choose where to moor at any time of day and be almost certain you wouldn't have any problems. We were completely on our own overnight at Irstead, Womack Water and Paddy's Lane. And it would have been a full set if someone else hadn't turned up when it was getting dark at Cockshoot Broad. The photos through the week were from my phone so below are just a few off my camera. There will be a video as soon as I get time to put things together.
  7. 14 points
    Friday 5th July Mandy was reasonably pleased that with my planned depart time of 9am, the previous Friday we left at 6am to get to Cumbria, so on this trip there was no need to wrap herself up in a throw as she did the previous week. The car was loaded to bursting, and Lottie was quick to take her place on the back seat to ensure we didnt leave without her. (She is secured by the seat belt to her harness) The journey was pretty uneventful and we made excellent time until the single carriageway A143 held us up with HGV's and the odd tractor We still made it to Loddon by 11.30am, I had arranged with Fiona to pick the boat up a little earlier at 1.00pm, so obviously we were way too early. So a plan came to mind (actually this was always my intention but dont tell Mandy) 'We're too early darling' I said 'What do you want to do' she replied 'Well, Lottie needs a walk and we've never been to the White Horse', we could have some lunch there?' I like it when a plan comes together, although after 33 years of marriage I think she knew I planned this! Well, what a great pub the White Horse is, why haven't we used it before? Superb garden, very friendly landlady but the Landlord is a very bad man and cruelly exposed a weakness I have! I ordered a pint of Wherry or Southwold and a J2O for Mandy and got a bowl of water for Lottie, I went back to the bar and ordered a couple of baguettes. About 15 mins later the landlord bought our food to the table, looking at my glass he said 'you need another pint' it wasn't a question, what a mind reader, and he insisted on bringing it to the table! Later he came back to collect our plates 'Was everything ok with your food?' 'Would you like more drink?' I could have said no, but found myself saying 'yes please' Bad bad man! It was now about 1.10pm, and I was now sitting in the passenger seat, Mandy drove the last mile! Well I did do the previous 149! A couple of mins later we were parked on the lawn at Pacific Cruisers. Now, I cant heap enough praise on Richard Fiona and their team, I know they are a business (a business that I hope does very well) but they make you fell you are friends and are just borrowing a boat! Everything is handled so informally and friendly, nothing is too much trouble. This is our third consecutive hire with them and third on Dawn. I really cant imagine using anyone else! Mandy and Fiona 'fitted' Lottie with her life jacket, I was just the labourer and emptied the car Soon everything was loaded, Mandy managed to drop my fleece in the drink, (and I was the one that had alcohol) mind you it would soon be dry, not that I would! As envisaged, my experience with the Wrynose pass made the Chet a doddle, taking it slowly after about an hour we were soon cruising down The Yare My favourite pub on the broads is the Surlingham Ferry, I love the beer, the food the garden and Sonia and all her staff are really lovely, I'd booked a mooring so we didn't need to hurry to get there As I already said I hadn't used the White Horse at Chedgrave before, two other pubs we hadn't used was the Beauchamp and Coldham Hall. I wanted to correct this, as we approached The Beauchamp, it looked quiet, there were plenty of moorings, but no one was sitting outside, which I thought odd as it was a lovely sunny day, I quickly 'googled it' - it didn't open until 5pm, and as it was only about 2.30pm, ruled it out I know the owner feels that not getting planning permission on his caravan park is going to 'kill' his pub, but not opening until 5 on a Friday is hardly going to help, is it? So Coldham Hall it was then, and I was really pleased the Beauchamp was closed, Approaching Coldham Hall there was a mooring at the front, but .......... I know this shouldn't make any difference but there was a private boat moored just behind us as we came in, that first mooring of the year suddenly came with extra pressure. No need to worry, straight in no problems..... I'm back! A couple of 'mature gents' got up and took our ropes, which I thanked them, but we had it all under control. We had a chat with them once we got our drinks, they confessed to having been in the pub a fair time, and good luck to them! A couple of pints of Ghost Ship for me, Pimms and a tea for Mandy, Lottie had to stick to water, well someone has to be sober to stern moor at The Ferry House We decided to 'cut the corner' at Brundall and entered Bargate Broad, it was so peaceful we decided to mud weight for 30mins. I like the idea of mud weighting overnight but it's not possible with Lottie We arrived at The Ferry House about 5.30pm and saw the board reserving our mooring for the night. Second mooring of the hols and although Lottie was prepared to moor for me, I decided she should keep to her job of watching the ducks! Another good mooring, and again plenty of help with the ropes, although I'm not sure with the advice passed back to me from Mandy from someone on the bank to shut the engine off despite still being 6ft from the bank! We had a nice chat with a private boater to our side about dogs, Lottie is a rescue, and although we've had her for a while, she was mistreated and get easily spooked and can be unfriendly to strangers, once she know you she loves you to bits! I take her to work with me, she now loves everyone in my office, especially the girls in accounts who bring chicken in to feed her! Sorry cant remember your name or the boat you were on, I only remember we were both the same age a very young 62! We decided to have a couple of drinks, Mandy soft, me Humpty Dumpty (I think) Lottie just water We returned to the boat to freshen up, then back to the pub for dinner I cant remember what we had, but I'm sure it was good, Mandy had two glasses of wine, me a couple of beers and Lottie was still suck on the water Now this is where I had a little mishap, now I accept I had consumed a few beers, but it was over a long period and I had two meals, I was feeling good, and I'm used to drinking regularly I took Lottie for a fairly long walk, about 45 mins Although I've worked in and around London for 40 years I am a country boy at heart my dad was a farmer and I'm comfortable in the countryside and do a lot of walking with Lottie and dogs before her I've noticed recently more and more gates on footpaths are now 'self closing' obviously a necessity in these days because some people cant be bothered to close a gate behind them Well a set of circumstances that night lead to what could have been worse, as I approached the last gate before the pub I put Lottie on her extending lead, I opened the gate which has a concrete step on the pub side. Lottie got spooked by another dog barking, pulled on her lead, this made me loose my footing as I stumbled forward the gate closed and trapped my ankle between the bottom of the gate and the concrete step This wasn't just an ouch moment, my ankle was stuck and I couldn't reach the clasp on the gate, and guess what? I hadn't taken my phone with me, I always have my phone, I'm always berating Mandy for not taking a phone! So there I was stuck and doing my best not to embarrass myself my having to call 'help' so I sat there for a couple of mins, when for some reason I let go of Lottie's lead, the lead recoiled that spooked her and she ran off! I still dont know how I freed myself, you hear stories where under pressure people use natural adrenalin to preform great strengths, that may have been my moment, as the dog ran off I managed to reach up and open the gate, something I obviously tried to do several times with no success Lottie had come straight back to me at this point so we both got back to the boat unharmed, a few cuts and bruises for me! Mandy told me I was a silly old fool and that it was all my fault, and I couldn't argue Sorry for the ramble, later days were less eventful! To be continued
  8. 13 points
    As we are getting closer to the beginning of Gracie's next voyage, I suppose I had better finish off this one. “as one by one the scents and sounds and names of long-forgotten places come gradually back and beckon to us.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows Feeding the ducks. I am not a supporter of the 'do not feed the ducks bread brigade'. Let's say I've been sceptical ever since this Facebook driven marketing campaign by pet food manufacturers reared its head. It takes a matter of seconds to track the money changing hands, and a little perseverance to wade through the pseudo-science. Calls related to malnourished water fowl have increased ten fold these last few years here in Lincolnshire. On my beloved Broads, the wildlife populations have changed drastically. The Broads are stuffed with harriers, heron, otter, buzzards, hawks, cormorant, and owl. I often wonder what all these predators are eating and was wondering exactly this point watching eight barn owls hunting the meadow behind the pilot office at Potter Heigham Bridge, when a common buzzard grabbed one of the owls. The answer being, each other! Populations of grey lag geese currently seem to stand out on The Broads. The uniformity of the flock making the lack of duck and coot more prominent. Duck and coot seem to have vanished. My favourite bird the Great Crested Grebe are still here but not in any number. A centre cockpit boat above the reeds exposes the myth the missing birds are in flood dykes. So, you will see me feeding the 'ducks' or in the case of Gracie that morning, feeding the black headed gulls who stood in for the missing ducks on this occasion and they will be dining on bread and scraps. I could feel the 'Norfolk Coffee' I had with Maurice Mynah that morning 'doing me good' as I dropped RT's cockpit roof and made ready to leave Potter Heigham. I waved farewell to Maurice Mynah as he left his mooring, and started the engine. "Wait, wait, I'm not ready!" called a little voice from the galley as Gracie finished her toast and rushed up to the cockpit in a swirl of summer dress and long blonde hair. Leaving the mooring and turning in front of the bridge we headed back down stream with the smell of cooking bacon and eggs wafting deliciously from the galley. Within seconds Grandma arrived bearing a plate of bacon and egg sandwiches and a pot of fresh coffee. Gracie and Grandma then climbed onto RT's roof from the cockpit to take in the sights of Tin Town. Thurne will always have a special place in my heart. It's been the site of so many family holidays from the early 70s onward. In 1972 we were cruising upriver to Potter on board Captain XII. Uncle Albert was at the helm and usually he gave fisherman plenty of room. Cruising up to Thurne Dyke he was paying very close attention to two fishermen hidden in the reeds between the old landing craft turned houseboat and the dyke. The boat in front had cut close to the fishermen hitting the fishing rod of one of them and received 'a good cussin' . Turning Captain XII at the dyke he headed back down stream before turning again and heading upstream. This time he hugged the bank tightly which would mean the irate fisherman would be even more irate having a boat park in front of his peg. "What kind of daft pill...oh aye up ah kid!" the fisherman had started to shout angrily before a gleeful smile crossed his face and he swarmed into the cockpit mud dripping from his waders as he hugged my mum. The two fishermen were father and son in law, renowned for their pranks and practical jokes. The son in law was married to my Mum's school friend and Mum had spent the majority of her childhood as a part of their family, although we had not seen them for almost seven years as we had been abroad wherever Dad was stationed. For the next ten years or so we would join the families camping in the field behind the farm and fishing the Thurne. I relived my childhood memories sharing them with Gracie as Thurne slipped by in a golden haze of sunshine. Out through Thurne mouth and we passed St. Benets. "When I come back we are going there for a picnic!" Gracie announced. Grandma was making a list of places Gracie wanted to visit 'the next time' as I basked in Gracie's enthusiasm. My preoccupation with Royal Tudor, all the hard work of my friends was at last seeing dividends. Under Ludham Bridge and the air horn gave the most pathetic of raspberries as Gracie pressed the button. I've heard the beagles break wind louder than that! Air horn for RT has been added to my Christmas wish list! As we twisted and turned along the River Ant, Grandma went to make sandwiches for lunch and Gracie joined me at the helm. By Irstead we came across the wherry Hathor under sail. In no rush, we pottered along behind her and I kept an eye on river traffic behind us when a shout made me jump. "Oi pillock give us a clue?" I looked down at Gracie stood on her step ladder at the helm, blonde hair flying, straw summer hat and sunglasses. "That's what you are supposed to say isn't it Timbo?" asked Gracie. "Erm...yeah...but not when Grandma can hear you!" I replied glancing nervously into the galley to see if Grandma had heard. The young chappy at the helm of the wherry had not been looking behind him. He was looking now, and looking a bit shocked, but he waved us through with a grin. Across Barton and about to make the turn for Stalham and I heard a thing I thought I would never hear. "Is there somewhere else we can go? It's such a shame to go back now!" said grandma Ellie. "Huh? What, what what what what?" "Shut up and drive!" "Yes Maam!" So we pootled on to Wayford before finally making our way back to Stalham. RT back in her berth, Grandma started her cleaning and I began packing luggage in the rear well ready to load in the car. Cleaning done we had a trip to Sea Palling to attend to before the drive home. At the beach, Gracie and Grandma made sand castles while I took the beagles for a good long walk along the beach. Fish and chips for tea and it was time to say goodbye to Royal Tudor and head for home. "We are coming back?" Gracie asked as I closed the stern canopy. "Yes we are coming back!" said Grandma. "See you very soon!" said Gracie patting RT. Soon we will be back on board RT with Gracie. Since her voyage on RT Gracie has named her new pet fish Royal Tudor. A new picnic basket has been purchased for that picnic at St Benet's. Gracie has compiled a long list of things she wants to see on the Broads...and Grandma has been down to Royal Tudor and started the interior restoration in earnest with a thorough, thorough scrub. RT gleams! Doug has sealed leaks and made new window hoppers, and our friend Trev has fitted new galley taps and sorted a plumbing leak in the shower and under the Captain's Cabin. So...new adventures await Gracie, this time on the Southern Broads!
  9. 13 points
    We're visiting the Broads, for the first time ever, in mid-June. We're both approaching 60 years of age but I've always wanted to have a boating holiday on the Broads and have finally got round to visiting. We're hiring from Richardsons in Stalham, and I've read this thread with interest, and have watched several YouTube videos including nearly all of the excellent and informative Captain's Blog ones. I fully intended to cross Breydon Water and will still do so. I'll be following the helpful tips on this thread and am really looking forward to it, but will also treat the waters with the respect they deserve. Steady as she goes seems to be the overriding message.
  10. 12 points
    I was last out cruising the rivers enjoying them and ''B.A' on 13th OCTOBER 2018, the last day of the lads week. It is now 20th May 2019. By my reckoning that is now over 6 months. SIX months! Now when one owns a boat (Well - Part thereof to be precise) and has the use of her 24 x 7 x 365, six months is plain and simple W A A A A A A Y too long. Yes of course I have been onboard since October but those visits have been upgrade / maintenance weekends. Then there was a ten day visit to Sutton staithe for her bi-annual AMP, spent all of 40 mins transiting her there and back to the wetshed on that one. However June 7th - that'll change. Four days afloat with MrsG, Son, his new partner (Just wait till you see her lads, proper stunner and top class deck totty) and hopefully at least one grandson, plus one if not two dogs. I intend to get 'B.A' out of the wetshed that fast after boarding we will probably still be plugged into shore power, wonder if I can get 10mph whilst still in the wetshed? No idea where we will be visiting / staying overnight, nor do I care. Counting down the days then once again Griff
  11. 11 points
  12. 11 points
  13. 11 points
    Wednesday 10th April We woke on Wednesday to a grey, cold windy day. The breeze had not abated overnight and coupled with the chilly temperature, it wasn't a pleasant morning. Deb took Harley for her walk and I tidied the boat, making the bed and straightening the blankets we use to cover the seating. When she returned, we breakfasted on toasted crumpets, thickly buttered. Just after 08:00, we started the engine for hot water (no shore power for the immersion heater at Salhouse) and cast off around 08:30, heading for Ranworth. Deb took the helm whilst I showered and dressed and took over when I’d finished so she could do the same. There were a few spaces available when we arrived, so we slotted in alongside another syndicated cruiser, Blue Mist. We had intended to walk to the church, but wanted to top up with water first, so moved to another mooring nearer a hose after discovering that the hose wouldn't reach. We had just finished topping up when a large craft from Richardsons eventually moored alongside. To be fair, they had manoeuvred with consideration and had made much effort not to hit the side of MS, but the operation had taken a good 15 minutes and it was clear the strong wind was seriously hampering their efforts. The weather had not improved and we agreed that it would not be an enjoyable stroll to the church and certainly not sufficiently pleasant to sit outside the church café and enjoy a coffee and slice of cake. Instead, we cast off, heading for the River Ant and chugged back up Ranworth Dam, turning right onto the Bure at the junction and shortly after, left onto the Ant. I was hopeful that there would be sufficient clearance under the bridge to allow us to pass without dropping the roof and screen due to the wind and was pleased to see 8ft 3ins on the advance marker, just 3 inches more than we needed. There was the usual confusion of craft attempting to moor on the other side, jockeying for space near the shop and water point, but we navigated through the melee without incident and carried on up the river. We passed How Hill and through Irstead before entering Barton Broad. Much to our surprise, after such a grey and cheerless morning, the clouds began to break, allowing the sun to peek through and by the time we reached the other side of the broad, the sun was beaming down, although the breeze continued to blow. We continued up the Ant, bearing left at the Stalham turn before passing Hunsett Mill. I was pleased to see the mill has now been restored, with sails replaced, but I cannot get used to the abomination that the once chocolate box pretty cottage has become. We travelled a couple of hundred yards further before turning and mooring for lunch of toasted ciabatta and pate. We stayed there for a while, the wife doing her cross stitch and me taking some photos, before casting off and retracing our route towards Barton Broad. I saw a flash of iridescent blue flash in front of the boat, but the kingfisher had disappeared before I could grab my camera. Another lost opportunity, but maybe one day I'll get lucky and get a photo of this shy, beautiful bird. The moorings at Irstead were taken and Johny Crowe's staithe was also occupied, so we moored at How Hill and settled down for the evening. The sun was still shining and there was a real prospect of a decent sunset, so dinner was delayed whilst I spent some time photographing the setting sun as it lit the horizon and Turf Fen Mill with a glorious orange glow. I stood outside to watch the sun drop below the horizon. Nature certainly does provide some wonderful sights and satisfied that I had committed some worthy shots to memory card, I returned to the boat. We had dinner on board, before watching TV for a while and retiring to bed at about 22:00, happy that the day that promised so little in the morning, had delivered so much in the end.
  14. 10 points
    So onto day three ... Tuesday! It wasn't long before the inevitable conversation around where to go. In many ways this is exactly the same as our holidays on the boats ... a few ideas of what we might want to do but planning happens on the day subject to the weather and what we feel like doing. We do like places with somewhere to get coffee mid-morning so the news that the Post Office now also has a tea room had put Reedham onto our list. We probably hadn't been there since our last holiday on the southern Broads which I think was 2015. An interesting journey took us along the A47, turning off before Acle and heading cross-country through Halvergate and Freethorpe. Plenty of free parking along the quayside. We had a lovely walk from one end to the other watching the boats and the bridge swinging, before we stopped for coffee. The ladies in the tea room were very chatty and friendly, service was good, coffee and cake was very good and I would highly recommend supporting this business. I am sure that we will go back. After sitting outside in the sunshine we moved across to one of the seats on the quay near Sandersons. Watched the swing bridge which was interesting. We thought it wasn't going to close at one point, and as it turned out this was the day before they had problems and closed the bridge to river traffic. An indication of what was to come ... maybe. Hubby did the decent thing and helped a large Norfolk Broads Direct boat to moor. The father was at the outside helm on top and one of his children and his wife were waiting at the stern with ropes. But with tricky conditions we could see that he couldn't get close enough to the quay for them to get off so hubby went over and helped them out. It was busy there that morning and we thoroughly enjoyed watching the comings and goings. I could have stayed there longer but it was getting on for lunchtime so we headed back to the caravan for the rest of the day. You can probably spot the pattern here ... go out in the morning, get any shopping we need on the way back then stay around the site for the afternoon and evening. More of that on tomorrow's write-up. For now ... here's Reedham.
  15. 10 points
    I tend to find the more someone needs to rant, or use profanity to make a point, the weaker their argument is. Sadly, informed or unbiased fact on the closed season is very hard to find. Studies by pro angling groups suggest abolishing the closed season would have no impact on fish health and stocks. Those by anti angling groups suggest exactly the opposite. As with most things in life you could give the same "expert" the same "facts" and get any number of different outcomes depending on where the funding is coming from. Got to say I agree with Peter, there are plenty of opportunities to fish away from the rivers for the three months of the closed season. There is no good reason that I can see for any change.
  16. 9 points
    Across the world extreme views are proliferating towards intolerence in a way not seen since the 1930s. Any and every effort to counteract the idea that it OK to to negatively discriminate against any group is to be welcomed with open arms. It matters not at all whether any strong attempt is made to police the policy what matters is that here is a large respected business that says bigotry is not OK and they want no part of it. Once you give people permission to hate a group you unleash hell on that group. Never underestimate the potential for hate among those who are easy to persuade! Well done Hoseasons!
  17. 9 points
    Well what a shame. We haven't moored at Langley for a few years, and when we got to the Abbey, we found out it was closed to the public about four years ago. We walked back to Lightning and got underway. Our plan was to go to Rockland for the 240 hook up, but wile en-route, I suggested we carry on up the Yare to our home mooring at Brooms, where we could jump in the car and get the last few supplies for the last few days. We got home so to speak, and shopping bought, along with some rope hangers for Lightnings stern ropes, which either live on the side decks, or in the aft well. We're back aboard, and Karen has a shower. We wanted the 240 for her hair dryer, and straighteners, plus our home mooring hook up is meter read so we didn't us a card. I fill up with water, fit the rope hangers, and we're back under way. We have lovely cruise down the Yare, where our plan is to Moor at Hardley Mill, somewhere we've never moored at. We pass the sugar factory and find the mill moorings (or should that be pump?) with three boats on them, one at either end, and the smallest boat there moored slap bang in the middle, allowing only small boats in between. Oh well, time for plan B, we carry on to Reedham. As we approach Reedham, we're following two other boats, the second of which took the only mooring space big enough. Thinking we may have to opt for plan C, which was Loddon for two nights, Karen see's someone pulling out, leaving a massive gap, sorted. Things didn't go too plan when mooring up, I didn't realise the tide was running so fast, and as I turned the bow into the mooring, the tide pushed our stern into the boat behind. It was only a slight tap.,but it is still someone's pride and joy. We tied Lightning up with springs, and I went back to apologise and take all blame, it was me on the hel, and I should have taken a few seconds extra to check the tidal flow. I've moored at Reedham in fast tides before, and have mostly shown a clean pair of heals. Oh well, I asked the other owners aboard to inspect their boat, but all was well, with only my pride taking a bashing. We get chatting to the other owners, who start complementing us on the good condition of Lightning, and saying how spacious she is. Just as they depart, our new found friends Martin and Jane come upriver just in time to see another boat leave, so they pull in and Moor. Again, we get chatting, over a cuppa. Karen and I have already decided to use up what food we have left, and agree to meet up with M and J for a drink in the Ship. We use up the last of the potato's so kindly given to us by the Admiral, along with some cold pork and salad, me?, healthy eating, whatever next?. We get to the Ship, meet our friends, only to hear they could only get fish n chips as that was all they had, and at 7.00pm. Not good for a pub with a supposed good reputation. We sit chatting til 10.30, and make our way back to our boats, where as typing this post, I'm listening to Owls calling in the distance. It's one of Mother nature's wonderful night time sounds, and a sound that will hopefully help me drift off in bed. But that's just another normal night time sound on the Broads. Good night all.
  18. 9 points
    nothing wrong with being proud of your boat, but it takes all sorts to make this world spin, we like seeing pictures of boats.
  19. 9 points
    Friday 8th February We were up at the usual time on Friday morning. Debbie took Harley for her walk and I had breakfast and went to get showered. What a godsend the immersion heater is, too. Our little fan heater had been set to low and on all night and had certainly kept the chill off. The pub moorings were not busy and we had moored side on, due to the weather and it certainly was windy and the sky grey and cheerless with heavy cloud cover. Debbie had breakfast when she returned and while she was waiting for me to finish showering, she had stated to pack. She went to get ready as I emerged from the aft cabin, feeling better for my shower. I started to move all of our bits and pieces from where we had stowed them into the saloon, so they were all together and when Debbie was showered and dressed, we finished packing our clothes, stripped the bed and moved all of our bags into the aft cabin to make it easy to get them out of the aft doors to pack the car. I topped up with water at the pub, as I knew from our experiences earlier in the week, that the hose at the kiosk at Brooms had been turned off. We had really been in no particular rush and by about 11:00, we cast off for the short trip back to the yard, filled up with fuel and had the required pump-out, which all together came to about £90. Bill paid, we moved to our berth, I packed the car and the wife vacuumed through MS. With everything done, we pulled out of the boatyard at about 12:15. We weren’t in any great rush to go home, so headed for Hoveton (for the pedants) and had fish and chips from Greys before heading for home. The return journey took about three hours, largely due to a combination of roadworks and Friday traffic and could have been worse has it not been for some local knowledge around Bedford, where I turned off the A421 and headed through some local roads home. No scenic photos on the last day – the weather was too uninspiring, just one of MS at her home mooring. That’s all for this trip – thanks for reading and your comments. Just looking forward now to April and another week on Moonlight Shadow.
  20. 9 points
    You know what this item is? Of course you do, it is the original helm taken off MTB102 last month. Looks in a sorry state doesn't it? So would you be if you had been out in all weather since the thirties. Skipper Richard Bassey reckons it is the first time it has been removed, certainly since MTB102 has been under his watchful eye. He had a right old carry on removing it, had to make a custom made puller to get it off. So the helm is now with me. I took it round to one of our 'Lads Week' crew in t neighbouring village (In fact he is one of our Skippers) who's hobby is restoring motorbikes. The reason that the helm is now in my care is that I have a huge soft spot for MTB102 and like to help out whenever I can. Last time out at sea onboard (Last year) I remarked to Richard the sorry state of the helm and why had it not been removed / powder coated? I got 'That Look' then - 'No one has volunteered to do it' Here was a chance for me - I volunteered for the job. So, our motorbike restorer will paint strip and rub down the hand pegs only to a smooth finish as they are heavily pitted. Then later this month it will go off with some motorbike parts to deepest Pontefract where it will be blasted then powder coated in black. Back to me where I will exchange some beer chits for the job. Back down to Norfolk, Richard to collect and then back onboard MTB102 where hopefully it will last another 80 odd years. Completed photo to follow in due course Griff
  21. 9 points
    Shortest most boring write up ever. Sailed Saturday about 1600-ish, still windy but gale ceased, overcast but dry and cold. Gave 'B.A' a run to the Southern end of Barton Broad and back to base for about 1700-ish. Nowt to report, saw no one, heard nowt, said nowt much either Griff
  22. 9 points
    I was once stopped in a small queue at traffic lights in Donny. (Cantley Lights) The road is inclined uphill to the lights. A lady in a car in front of me rolled back into my van. I couldn't see what she was doing at the time but a driver next to her could - It was the lipstick thing. She got out of her car, came to me and accused me of hitting her car from behind and it was therefore my fault even though I had the handbrake on. Fortunately the driver next to her bore witness that her car had rolled back. The 'Grifftile' van has s/steel bars on the front of it so no damage but she had two tiny marks on the rear of her car. She was furious the witness had intervened and tried to give him a rollocking for not minding his own business! You could not have made it up. Rather than giving her a rollocking I just laughed and told her bedrooms were the place for applying lipstick not busy junctions and away we went. She would have had the issue of explaining to her partner (If she had one) as to how the car came to be damaged Another time I was in a clients house alone (Client off to work), knock at the door, I found a very attractive lady looking distresses, she told me she had just reversed into my van and could I have a look at it please? Now the van has many battle scars on it, yes she had indeed added another small bit of character but it was really minor. I told her not to worry about it and it was just fine, she flung her arms round me and gave me a right smacker and told me I was a very nice man. I told her would she like to reverse into my van again? Months down the road I was on a tiling job, I asked the client where they found me from, the Lady of the house said that her sister recommended me as being a nice man when she had reversed into my van! Strangest recommend I ever had Griff
  23. 8 points
    We went to Brundall on Friday 26th July for the weekend and eventually arrived after a lengthy journey (due to two diversions caused by roadworks) at about 22:30. We stopped at the Chinese takeaway (just as it started to rain), for some food before heading to the boat. Food eaten, we unpacked the car and watched the TV for a while to digest our meal, before going to bed. It rained all night and was still raining when we got up the following morning, so we got ready and wandered round to the Co-Op for a few supplies. Fortunately, the rain had eased and there were just a few spits and spots by then. We returned to Norfolk Lady and I set to work on the faded gel coat on the wheelhouse roof with some compound, wax and a polishing machine to see what sort of shine could be achieved. It was quite a lengthy process and although I have machine polished cars before, I was not used to compounding gel coat, so was taking my time to make sure I didn’t make things worse. We had some lunch and decided to go for a short cruise, so put the polisher away and set off along The Yare, heading for Langley Dyke. There were a couple of other craft there, but plenty of room for us to moor. The weather was grey and miserable, so we sat and relaxed for a while, grateful to be away from the noise and interruptions that make daily life so hectic. It wasn’t long before the rain started again. We had dinner, watched TV and had an early night. It must be the Norfolk air that makes me so tired! The rain was still falling on Sunday morning, so we took our time getting ready and had breakfast before it eased off. I wanted to do some more polishing, so we set off for our moorings and headed back to Brundall, where I managed to finish working on the wheelhouse roof before the rain started again. We needed to get home at a reasonable time, so packed up a few bits and pieces, loaded the car and went to The Yare for an early dinner, hoping for better weather for our next visit. The journey home was not the easiest, either, with a road closure and forced diversion extending our journey home. Friday 9th August So we arrived at Brundall at about 21:30 on Friday evening, stopped at the Chinese (again) for some food and drove round to the yard where we are moored. We ate before unloading the car as usual, watched TV for a while and went to bed. Saturday dawned to a windy start, just as forecast. We showered and got ready, before wandering down to the Co-Op for some food supplies (again) and returning to the boat. I had planned to spend some time compounding and waxing at least some more of the top of Norfolk Lady to restore some shine to the faded gel coat. The continuing windy weather put paid to any hope of escaping for a cruise, so I managed to complete most of the top before giving up for the day, satisfied with my efforts. We walked back to the Co-Op to buy some garlic bread and I felt compelled to stop at The Yare for a cheeky Ghost Ship on the way back. The wife prepared our meal, which we enjoyed with a couple of glasses of wine. I was somewhat tired, due to the exertions of the day (and probably the wine) so went to bed early where I fell quickly and soundly asleep. It was bright and sunny when we woke on Sunday, although still quite breezy, so we decided to have a short cruise up the river before having breakfast. We managed to get away from the moorings and chugged up the dyke, turning left onto The Yare. Short Dyke was my intended destination and it didn't take too long to get there. We moored up and my attention turned to cooking breakfast. Once eaten and with the washing up done, we took the opportunity to relax for a while before heading back to the yard. The weather had changed and the clouds had rolled in, but it wasnt raining. I still had a little more polishing to do, together with a couple of other bits and pieces, which were completed before we had a brief, but heavy shower of rain. Sadly, we packed the car, the weekend having passed far too quickly, but stopped at The Yare for a meal before leaving for home. The next visit is planned for August Bank Holiday weekend. Bring it on, but hopefully with some more clement weather for a change!!
  24. 8 points
    Hi All I have added to the Ludham Archive website some information about Frank Harding Chambers. Frank was a mathematician who turned his hand to boat designing at the start of the 20th Century. Part of his skill was his ability to use mathematics to give his boats the best possible handicap in the races. He was able to keep one step ahead of the handicappers and his boats were winners. You can read about Frank on this link. http://www.ludhamarchive.org.uk/chambers.htm I have also added the memories of his grandaughter, Ruth, who grew up in Ludham and had an interesting childhood. You can find her memories here: http://www.ludhamarchive.org.uk/memwritdanilof.htm I hope this is of interest (or at least a bit different) Nigel Webmaster, Ludham Community Archive Group
  25. 8 points
    Is it really that time already? With the 2019 season racing into full swing it has come as quite a shock to realise that our little event is now weeks rather than months away! Yes, plans are all in place and our entry list is full for this years show. I think the most important anouncement is that we have moved the date of the event. The old VWBA had always run their event to coincide with the Beccles Carnival weekend so when I resurected the show I mantained that date. However, with the need for more space as our events grows, everyone who attended last year were given a vote as to whether we stayed as before or moved our event to the preceeding week which offered more space and the chance to enjoy the Beccles Harvest Moon Festival. There was overwhelming support for the earlier date and so this year will see us at Beccles from the 9th to 11th of August. As a by product of our earlier date we have also moved sides at Beccles. We will now be on the Harbour Masters side as well as along the main river front giving us a very desirable 42 moorings, yes 42! More good news is that, because there are no other events within the yacht station that weekend, the 35 moorings on the other side of the marina are available for visiting boats to come and see the event first hand. The yacht station have decided there is no pre booking on those moorings therefore giving everyone a fair chance of being able to just turn up and moor. So whats going on? This year we are starting with an informal gathering in Oulton Broad on Thursday the 8th August. We are expecting around 20 boats in Oulton Broad Yacht Station itself with more mud weighted in the bay or generally spread around as their mood takes them. Thursday evening will be a wine and cheese party at one of our owners pads overlooking the broad (will try not to keep you awake Peter) . Friday the 9th is our cruise to Beccles. Somewhere around 30 woodies will leave Oulton Broad at 12.30 in convoy to Beccles Yacht Station. What a sight! In 2018 we filled the Waveney with beautiful varnish, gleaming chrome, polished brass, scrubbed decks and magnificent examples of boats from most of the finest builders on the broads. Last years cruise was featured in Classic Boat magazine (as some of you will remember) and they liked it so much they are coming back again!! And then 20 odd boats suddenly all arrived at the yacht station at the same time... formation mooring at its best! Saturday the 10th is show day. I say it every year but it is such a priviledge to be able to have a look round some of these craft. Many of the owners open their boats up and you get to appreciate the sheer amount of work that goes into these vessels. Of course its only by talkng to each other that we also get those bits of inside information on hard to do jobs, upgrades, good sources of wood etc as well as that absolute wealth of hands on experience to draw on. Saturday evening is Maxines bring and share evening. Most of the boats prepare a plate of food - everything from curry, chilli, pasta, salads, sausage rolls, you name it - which they bring along and then we all share it. A more enjoyble and varied meal you will not find! Sunday the 11th. Sunday was going to be just a chill day. Some people are off catching tides for the long trip north before work on Monday whereas others will stay till Monday or beyond and just enjoy the place. Anyway, Tim, the Harbour Master, thought that what we needed on Sunday was something to replace the carnival and wondered about a boat jumble... so he is organising one! Yes, details below but there will be a boat jumble on the quayside at the Yacht Station from 10.00. Last year the boat show raised over £300 for our nominated charity which was superb. This year we will be raising money for cancer research. And there you have it. And here's this years entry list... I cant help but drool every time I look at it! Admiral Jack - Broom Boats Lady Helena - Sanderson Zephyr - Broom Boats Dawn Star - Powles Brookwind - WindBoats Broom Robb (sorry, not got her new name yet) Maggie Jane - Martham Boats Water Rail - Herbert Woods Telescombe Judith - Martham Boats Chloe Jane - William Overy Malanka - Broom Boats Broad Ambition - Powles Judith M - Martham Boats Emily B Countess of Light - Herbert Woods Luna Aurora - Broom Boats (this years photographer ship) Royal Tudor - Royalls Fairstar - Broom Boats Chameleon - NBYC Nipper - Moores Panther - Aston Boats Tabitha Rose - Herbert Woods Finale - Porter & Haylet Kingfisher - Herbert Woods Missouri Star- Powles Lady Helena - Herbert woods Phoenix - Bell Boats Mystic Melody - Andrews (Thames) Highlight 5 - Herbert Woods Manxman - Herbert Woods Georgia - Chris Craft Merlin - Alpha Craft Golden Cockerell - Wilson 24 Anglian Queen - Pegg Marine Cornelia - Broom Boats Iverna - Mona's Queen - Herbert Woods Sandpiper - Sandersons Isabel - Powles Jayne - Martham Boats Star Premier - Powles And finally - thanks Ian and Timbo.
  26. 8 points
    We have many many happy memories of holidaying on the Broads, starting our adventures in 2008 and sometimes managing 3 holidays a year trying out different hire boats. But our best memory has to be our honeymoon, we have met so many beautiful life long friends over the years and we had a 2nd wedding reception at Salhouse on the middle weekend of the fortnight, yes GRIFF I still have a bit of confetti left in my tiara box from your antics on board our boat while we helmed the beautifully decorated Boards Ambition in a convoy from St Bennets to Salhouse, guys honestly he hid it everywhere, even our tub of butter in the fridge got it lol all amazing fun though. We always make a point to meet up with friends whenever we are in the area, unfortunately we only managed one holiday last year and had to miss the year before completely but this year we have a Camping visit next month for 6 nights at Beccles so be involved in the Wooden Boat Show and then a week booked on board Richos Classic San Marino in September where we are meeting with friends for a jolly get together again and our wedding anniversary, canny wait I tell ya
  27. 8 points
    Hello, Ive been reading posts for a while on this forum now and thought it would be nice to join as I’ve much to learn about boating! Ive always had an interest in the broads and owning a boat myself. I’ve lived in Norwich my whole life and spent a lot of my childhood in Wroxham. My great great Grandfather was Earnest Collins of Wroxham. I wish I could buy one of his later boats that my Grandfather would have worked on. Around this time last year we (myself, my wife and our two kids aged 10 and 8) bought our first boat. A lovely Seamaster 27, this boat had been beautifully built and kept. I really did love Theodore 11, we all did! But unfortunately we realised relatively soon that she just wasn’t big enough for us to comfortably spend as much time as we wanted on the water. the Seamaster sold earlier this year and has been replaced with a Princess 30DS, not quite as classically charming as the Seamaster but does the job we need it to do perfectly! It’s everything we hoped a boat would be and has enough room for our kids to grow. we are moored at Brundall and love spending time on Surlingham Broad plus the fine selection of pubs towards Norwich and Reedham. This summer we hope to venture onto the Northern rivers for a few days. Our old boat is now that side so we plan a reunion with it’s new owners plus other friends are moored at the same broad also. Anyway that’s enough introductory rambling for now! Hopefully pics of our previous and current have loaded up.
  28. 8 points
    Here's an old yard in its heyday. Royall's yard at Hoveton in the 1960s and again in the 1970s. Royal Tudor is to the right in the first image.
  29. 8 points
    Going to be cruising around hickling and horsey today, meanwhile, I have taken some interior shots of Judith 5, both using my DSLR and my tablet, so I will share the tablet ones for now, excuse the lived in look. Opposite the toilet is a storage area (the domestic batteries live under here) this is plenty big enough to store most things, currently it has my telescope and camera gear, plus the boxes I used to transport stuff to the boat. It would even store quite a large pushchair or pram. Seating in the cockpit is a small 2 person bench and a high stool for the helmsman. The boat is very easy to handle, goes where it's pointed, and compared to some, quite light on the steering, it also carries on pretty straight if you leave the wheel to take a picture.
  30. 8 points
    Thursday 18th April I wanted to overnight in Great Yarmouth at least once on the holiday so the plan to day was to make the journey without stops en-route, which would probably take around 4 hours. The sun was out and the day did feel warmer. I planned to depart around 9am but still had time to launch the drone to get views of Surlingham. which follow. Warmer sunnier weather always lifts the spirits and after sliding back the wheelhouse sides, I departed the moorings thinking to myself what a pleasant day for cruising it was. Approaching Brundall, I decided to take the “short cut” through Surlingham Broad to see something different. There were a couple of cruisers mud-weighted there, clearly having been there all night. Mid Broad mud weighting has never really appealed much to me but in the glorious sunshine, I couldn’t help think the sights and sounds they will have experienced at sun-down and sun-up would have been special, being away from the main river. I exited the Broad and continued on down the Yare past Cantley and Reedham, where I could see the tide had started to flow out by now. I did not see many boats whilst underway but ended up following Evening Light across Breydon. Approaching the coast, the wind became fresher and provided an exhilarating experience without being scary at all. Just before passing under Breydon Bridge I telephoned the Yacht Station asking for assistance once more. There was room near to an electric post so that was where I would aim for. I told the Quay Ranger that I was on Goosander so they could look out for me, adding that it looks very similar to Evening Light, which curiously was about 5 minutes in front of me. Meeting the River Bure slowed Goosander considerably as she punched through the ebb. I could see the intended mooring spot, together with the Quay Rangers hovering around it so I gently guided Goosander parallel to the moorings , allowing the tide to nudge her alongside. Ropes grabbed and tied, i was secured for the night at 12.45pm. The moorings were sparsely populated by a few hire-craft. I guessed this was the calm before the storm for the Rangers being as it was Good Friday tomorrow. The chaps said it would be busy Saturday and Sunday but not tomorrow as of course, most of he weekend boaters would not be let out earlier enough to make the Yacht Station. I wandered off into town again after making a salad to eat on-board (I was planning to eat out at the Kings Arms this evening). After a coffee in MacDonalds I continued on down Regent Road until meeting the sea again. This time I turned left and walked along the seafront past the Waterways, which was just being spruced up for tomorrows start of festivities. I walked quite a distance before walking back looking at the hotels and guest houses which overlook the sea. About 30 years ago, Doreen and I spent a couple of nights in one of them and I was trying to work out which one it was. I remembered that it was a twin-linked to another hotel which had an indoor swimming pool, which is what made it look attractive as a proposition in the first place. I worked out it must have been the Palm Court, linked to the Burlington. It was in my thoughts because 30 years ago, it did not live up to expectations. The rooms were old fashioned with very high ceilings and long windows, and in need of renovation. On our last morning before check-out, I got up and drew back the long curtains to let the light in only for them, together with the curtain rail and the wooden batten they were attached to, to come crashing to the floor. Flummoxed by this turn of events so soon after waking up, I thought about reattaching the batten in some way but was soon dissuaded by the height of the window, which would have needed a set of ladders to reach the top. I was in two minds whether to report the damage to reception on leaving as I did not want to be considered the hooligan of the piece. Doreen persuaded me that it was not my fault and to tell the staff. I did and the check-out girl just thanked me for the information and we departed. After making my way back to the boat, I put my (sore) feet up until it was time to go out for something to eat. The Kings Arms is a recent discovery and having enjoyed the food there last year, I decided to return. It was quite busy inside but I soon found a table and studied the menu. What could I have that was a little different to what I had consumed over the week? I went for a steak and onion baguette with salad and coleslaw and “a handful of chips for an extra £1” The steak was tender and accompanied by the onions, was a treat. The “handful of chips” turned out to be chips in a ceramic (not glass) half pint pot – so quite a portion. I had acquired quite a taste for cheesecake over this holiday (probably wouldn’t have spotted that if I had not highlighted it) so the raspberry and white chocolate variety was ordered and joyfully consumed. The thing is this meal complete with a drink cost just £13.50. Similar meals across the Broads were coming in at £20, peaking at £24 at the Bridge Inn at Acle. A BARGAIN! After giving the eye to my i newspaper for a while, I returned to Goosander. It was quite a mild night and as no heating would be required, I made the most of the available electricity to charge everything up before retiring for the night. En-route Sandersons still had all their 8 boats out Reedham Quay This is what has become of the White Swan in Yarmouth - it is now a fresh fish retailer. So sad! Yarmouth Surlingham from the air
  31. 8 points
    Davydine's post rolled back the years to July 1987 and a holiday on the Broads after graduating before six of us (three couples) went our separate ways. We booked a six berth centre cockpit cruiser from Aston in Beccles. I had been on the Broads about a dozen times with my parents prior to then so I was put in charge... I was allowed to borrow my dad's car (Volvo 340GL in metallic brown) for the journey down from Nottingham, me, the girlfriend and a car full of her luggage, despite warnings of lack of storage. We successfully arrived in Beccles after five fraught hours on the road, the others in the party having taken the train to Norwich and then Beccles. The first problem was that the boat had a twin cabin and a double cabin, the second double being a converted sofa in the centre cockpit / lounge. We drew lots, I ended up with the fore twin cabin, not the worst place to be... Guess what? about 75% of the clothes that my girlfriend brought with her stayed in the car. We had a week of glorious weather, however, the couple who slept in the lounge didn't get up until late so we missed every early morning that week. The boat was well past its prime, however, it was cheap. We didn't hit anything or break anything. We took it through Wroxham Bridge without a pilot and managed to see most of everywhere. Memories are like old Polaroid photo's, somewhat faded around the edges but reflective of a gentler time...
  32. 8 points
    I have just seen the certificate awarded to the Lion Inn Thurne for winner of Pub of The Year 2019, by East Norfolk Camera.
  33. 8 points
    I appreciate there seem to be irregularities on the listing but is that NYA or hoseasons fault? and why oh why do we still have to all want to have the most basic boats?. Some of us like a bit of comfort and luxury and there are people who will pay for it. live and let live folks. Some of the boats you have or hire might be classed as poor mans floating caravans to some.
  34. 8 points
    Greedy money grabbing land owners !!! Hmmm, is it? I wonder ! Imagine this. you own a riverside field. You allow people to moor there in the knowledge that there is a shortage of bins on the broads. Choice 1. Do you supply bins (and swallow the cost) or accept that there will be a small proportion of boaters who will fly tip their rubbish there. You supply the bins (which out of the goodness of your heart, a service you pay for.) Also, You have to take out insurance in case someone hurts themselves. These days they WILL sue. So you decide to lease the property to the BA. They don't supply bins (It's not their job nor in fact their responsibility) So you supply them anyway (at your own expense) then you find you still have to take out insurance in case someone hurts themselves using the bins. As the expenses build you decide to recoup your costs from the BA. Thus far, you have provided a facxility at significant cost both financial and time and not received a brass farthing, so you decide to make some money from this facility. You are then accused of being a greedy money grabbing land owner. You close the lease, take back the land and stick up "Private, No Mooring" signs. Sound familiar? Most of us take our rubbish to proper facilities. Most of us use barbecues responsibly. Most of us take responsibility for our own actions. BUT Some do not. so moorings close.
  35. 8 points
    Last one for this short outing, I took this photo this morning just downstream of How Hill. I've made it black and white because it looks like it could almost have been taken any time in the last 100 years!
  36. 8 points
    Ok Peter, this is how I see it. You make many statements and implications in your post and firstly may I quote one of the last... Yes indeed, and that's part of the problem. You have banged it so long and so hard that people are tending not to hear it anymore. It has become a background noise, so when you raise valid and important points they tend to get missed. Strowager warned you of this danger many years ago in the "other place", and sadly I think it has come to pass. Now, don't get me wrong, you may be generally correct in your assertions, often I think you are, but equally there may be other ways (completely reasonable ways) of interpreting what has been written. One of the soap boxes I frequently stand on is about the poor standard of written English these days, resulting in so many important documents being ambiguous, leaving them open to misinterpretation, sometimes intentionally, sometimes not. and Could it not be read as "If it becomes apparent that to maintain a stretch of navigation is unviable, we maintain the right not to maintain it as a navigation" It is well documented that I am less than happy that the clearance at Potter Heigham bridge has reduced over the years, and it is equally well documented that I have tried to find out WHY this clearance has reduced. If it is because of reduced dredging, then I feel it is reasonable that I shout and scream that the authority is failing in it's duty, however, if it is due to flood alleviation works then I have to bite the bullet for the "Greater good". Finally, if it is as a result of "Climate change" then it would be totally unreasonable of me to demand that the navigation is maintained by whatever means irrespective of the cost. Either intentionally or not, paragraph (c) is poorly written, but rather than cry "Packman is doing it again" it should be demanded that the offending paragraph is rewritten to clarify its intention. Whether we can make that demand is another question, and one for which I have no answer.
  37. 8 points
    Having lived on ours for nearly 20 years we are no longer as nimble as when we first moved on. Ruth suffers with arthritis now and my back and knees are not their best, none of which are going to improve. We fitted a bow thruster to Lady Linda when we bought her and in windy conditions it's essential also when leaving our St Olaves mooring where we have to back down a narrow chanel past 4 or 5 other boats. It really doesn't matter how much experience you have the wind can catch out the best of us. A bow thruster can save the day. Anything that will keep us afloat is got to be worth having. Colin
  38. 7 points
    Quick update on the charity poster, we sold these at the Beccles boat show over the weekend, to say the response was overwhelming would be an understatement, along with the poster sales we also auctioned the original painting and sold last years painting . And a couple of kind souls also commissioned pictures of their own boats . so this morning we went to Weston Park cancer charity and gave them £2102.00 once I have completed the commissions and collected payment for extra sales there will be an extra £700 or so. we still have few posters left if anybody is interested £15 inc post etc so thank you everybody, we were very humbled by your generosity.
  39. 7 points
    Well done Liz, and two others, who got it right. It is St Olaves. Looks a bit different now! I would guess the first photo was taken from the bridge itself. The launch, complete with yard hand in yachting cap, is typical of many boatyard launches in those days, as a large number of breakdowns were attended by river rather than road and it was always the nearest Blakes or Hoseason yard who went out to a casualty. This one may have come from Johnsons Yacht Station or perhaps one of the yards on Oulton Broad. At one time I thought it was the Blakes towboat that they used to operate from GYYS but my memory now suggests that one was a clinker built boat, more of a fishing boat type. Anyone else remember it? Or perhaps a photo? In those days any accidents or incidents were well covered by the nearest boatyard. Half the time they never even billed each other for the service, unless it was on insurance. We all knew it might be our turn next, so a charge was not often made! Nowadays incidents, even small ones, have to be covered by inshore rescue boats and such, as there are no more local boatyards. That's not a political point - just a matter of how much the holiday business has changed over the years.
  40. 7 points
    What is with Norfolk pubs turning into these wanabee a la carte gastropubs?.. I know I'm probably as common as muck (Parents fault of course) but i do like good tasty meal but a menu like would make me run a mile, Pourquoi dans Francais, ces la Norfolk? When I'm on the boat I'm normally dressed like a tramp who hasn't shaved for a week, yup I can scrub up but I'd rather not go posh if I can avoid it.. I'm on holiday.. a very tasty local (written in english) meal made with sheep, cows or chickens from the back garden, together with some greens and veg also from round the corner would be lovely. I don't want a road killed penguin and kangaroo, I don't want to text my pop's to ask him to translate for me (Ok I'm not that bad!!) Norfolk certainly has some amazing cuisine and is bloody lovely but Norfolk needs to remember that it's not invented the motorway yet an isn't london, or Pari', rustic but well done is my wishlist.. I miss my locks already.. bloody BBQ it is in September then...
  41. 7 points
    Monday 1st July Woke to a cloudless blue sky again and a strong breeze. We turned the boat on the ropes so that the awning opening would be sheltered from the wind, and to bring our bow around to face the exit of the dyke. By 9am though there was a fair amount of cloud, though with sunny spells. We didn’t rush to get away this morning as I made us a breakfast of fried new potatoes, spam and scrambled egg. By the time we’d eaten that lot it was after 10. We were a bit lazy this morning. We knew that we’d have the wind against us down Meadow Dyke, so rather than sail across the Mere we just motored across and then down the dyke. Once in Heigham Sound I held the boat head to wind whilst Graham and Harry got the sails up. We had a lovely sail through Candle Dyke and then all the way up to West Somerton, passing a weed cutting machine near Martham Broad. There seems to be a weed cutter permanently working up there in July/August. On the moorings at West Somerton. When we got to West Somerton, we thought the mooring there was pretty exposed to the strong wind and would be even worse overnight as the wind was forecast to swing to the north. We decided to leave the mooring and head back down river to Womack. This was probably a bad idea, as we realised that we could have done with that northerly wind for the section past Martham Broad. We couldn’t use the electric quant on that section as it was far too weedy (would have fouled the prop), and the wind was too strong to manually quant, so we were reduced to tacking against the strong westerly wind. We got on okay initially until we failed to turn on a section passing the Broad and ended up stuck in mud just outside the marked channel. Whoops! Attempts to push ourselves off with the quant failed miserably and we ended up flagging down the two guys in the weed-cutting machine who towed us off the mud and downriver as far as a wild mooring on the bend (marked Dungeon Corner on the map). We rond-anchored there for a while for a coffee break, next to a couple who kindly lent us their boat hook to try to clear the weed that we had collected underneath the boat. It was well after 2pm by the time we got going again. We were a bit tired by now, so just motored down the Thurne rather than raising our sails. We had to put the motor into reverse a few times to clear the remainder of the weed. We all agreed, that's the last time we'll visit West Somerton. It's just not worth the hassle! At Potter, Graham and I popped into Latham’s for a few essentials (citronella candles, fly-swat, doggy treats, duck and swan food). Whilst Harry and Graham got our mast down, I walked Seren to the de-masting area south of the bridge and tried videoing their passage through the bridge. As Harry came in to moor a large Herbie Woods boat unexpectedly came in to moor from the other direction, with imminent danger of collision (we had thought he was aiming for the boatyard entrance). Harry threw Lustre into reverse and I hastily threw the bow rope around a post. Phew – disaster averted! When I told them that the area was reserved for de-masting, one of their crew explained that their helmsman was worried about negotiating the boatyard entry. It was only when I pointed out that another yacht was approaching and needed to de-mast that they moved to a space a bit further on. After we’d got our mast back up, we motored through Potter and back to Hunter’s Yard, back to our home berth. Even more lazily, we drove (!) up to the King’s Arms for dinner. Graham had scampi and salad of their light-bites menu (still a large portion of scampi though). Harry and I had fish dishes off their specials board. He had plaice stuffed with prawns with a spring onion and cream sauce, crushed new potatoes and veggies whilst I had herb crusted sea bream fillets with creamy leek and bacon sauce and rosti. Although I try to avoid dairy most of the year, I usually find that I can get away with eating dairy products in July, August and September, so I’m making the most of it! My dish was very tasty, but I always find the helpings in the King’s Arms was too big. Harry and I swopped dishes half way though, as we’d both had difficulty deciding which dish to have. We lit a citronella candle in the well area of the boat this evening to deter flies and mozzies. Seemed to work – we weren’t bothered by flies in the night.
  42. 7 points
    Friday morning see`s us waken to a nice bright morning. Loddon is always nice, but when you look out on a sunny morning, it`s magic. We`re up and about by 08.30, and we`re eventually ready for another delicious breakfast at Rosie Lee`s. We see Caroline for the last time this visit, and with breakfast done, we`ve no need to do any more shopping, so get back to Lightning, and get ready for the off. I`d been trying to contact Paul (Peta`s Joy) to see where they are, and if passing, could stop off and say hello. I managed to speak to him on the phone, but in a completely garbled form, from which i could`nt make out what he said. Somehow, i thought i heard the word Rockland, so assumed He and Elaine would be there. We got underway, and found ourselves punching an unexpected hard tide on the Chet. I can`t remember ever having to push a tide this hard. We reached the Yare, turned up river, and now the tide is with us, and we`re flying along. The river is quite busy today, as no matter where we were on the river, we could always see another boat, who said the rivers are quiet these days?. After a while, we pass the Beauchamp Arms, and are soon approaching the lower entrance to Rockland Broad. A quick chug through the Broad and into the cut, and there was Peta`s Joy, GREAT, we`ve at long last got the chance to meet again. We get moored up, but don`t really have much time, as we have to have Lightning back at Brooms for refuel and pumpout before they close at 4.00pm. We got chatting to a guy on a boat called "Wombat", beside us, and say our goodbyes as we have to find Paaul and Elaine, only to turn round and he`s there. We all walk over to the pub, where we meet Elaine for the first time, and she really is a lovely lady. We also had the chance to meet Alex and Lorna aboard Braveheart, and another one of their friends Richard (i think?). We have a drink, where i made a toast to "absent friends", and had a chat. We wanted to stay longer, but time and tide (pun intended) wait for no man, and we had to get back. We set off and 25 minutes later, we`re mooring up and pumping out. We did`nt use much fuel, and only one of the toilets needed pumping out. We`re eating in the Yare tonight, so start to get packed and doing the majority of the laundry at Brooms facility. We`re giving Lightning a thourough clean inside and out, and time ticks on. We have our meal in the Yare, though not Gordon Blue, it was really nice good honest pub grub. Back aboard and the clean up and packing continues. It took longer than we thought, and just before midnight, we get to bed. I`m over tired, and find it difficult to sleep. That`s the joys of syndicate ownership. Good night all.
  43. 7 points
    Well we have had a quiet couple of days, i am happy to say! Wednesday started at 4.30am and the river at Potter Higham was magicaly misty and silent. The fish were biting and it was wonderful to stand and watch the community wake up and go about their business. The plan was to give Upton Dyke a try, so off we set at a steady 4mph. Arriving at the dyke we saw the line of moored yachts along the right bank and the sign which shouted difficult to turn. So we bottled it and went to moor at the top of the dyke until we saw the sign "no mooring" so we got out of there and headed to Acle for a small loaf, all the while watching the boat behind us moor at the end of the dyke. Ah well. Arriving at Acle we, of course, moored on the wrong bank which we realised carried a 10 quid mooring fee (redeemable against a meal at Pedros). As it was almost lunchtime and we did not fancy a small Mexican we went looking for the Bridge Stores. Having failed miserably in that intent we consulted our 2017 log and saw that Wednesday nights were carvery night at the Kings Arms. So we hightailed it, at 4mph, to Womack Staithe. To cut what could be a very long story short, we had a great meal and promised to return. Thursday began at 4.20am and Womack Water sounded like the noisiest place on earth. It was as if every feathered creature was holding forth at full volume to greet the day. I guess the trees created a natural ampitheatre but it was the dawn chorus as i have seldom experienced it before. We decided to head for Wroxham after breakfast. At 4mph. The pilot was as efficient as ever, and that was the fastest the boat had moved all week. We moored along Hoveton Viaduct and admired the recent upgrading of the moorings. Having thrown a wad of cash at Roys we had a fish and a rest before an excellent cod and chips supper at Greys. I then caught a few quality roach and perch, all the while marvelling at the huge perch which followed every catch to the surface. Now i have a question for the learned folk on this forum. Whilst purchasing comestibles at Roys i selected a pre-pack of 4 Braeburn apples. Upon proceeding to munch one on the boat, i saw they were a product of New Zealand. It was an excellent example of the variety, but i paid less for it than i would at home. This apple had left a carbon footprint the size of Big Foot travelling 12000 miles and was still cheaper than in the country that produced it. How the heck does that work? Cheers Chris
  44. 7 points
    The peace and quiet , the friendly locals , holiday makers and fellow boat owners . Watching the smile on a child’s face when you return their frantic wave and the squeal of delight they give when you give them a toot of the horn . The willingness of strangers to help others when in difficulty I could go on for ever , we love the Broads for being simply what they are
  45. 7 points
    Yesterday would have been Tan's 62 Birthday, we as a family had a celebration barbi for family and friends at Stuart's house which is a couple of roads below our road. It was cooler yesterday but at least there was no rain. A good time was had by all in their garden with Stuart doing the barbi, I had spent Saturday morning making cheese scones, cheese tartlets and a large chocolate cake, caramel and apple pie and a strawberry and blackberry flan. Joanne did all the other food. A good time was had by all from 2.00pm until 10.30pm with tales from the past. Regards Alan
  46. 7 points
    Wroxham Friday evening in early September 81 - mixed bag of weather the last couple of days. Some of Loynes fleet of woodies. Can see a couple of Lock Ness class; maybe a Loch Tulla or Arron class. Is the nearest one Loch Sandy?. The nearest boat sheds are Loynes - can't remember if the newer sheds next to them are Loynes as well. Would the sheds in the distance on the left of pic still have been Ernest Collins at this date? Pic is very grainy as scanned from a slide that has deteriorated.
  47. 7 points
    The salhouse gathering
  48. 7 points
    Woo hoo Malanka is FLOATING.!!!!!!! She looks great too.
  49. 7 points
    I can't recommend any particular aerial as I would not dream of watching TV on the boat and so don't have one. However, I am a radio ham with lots of experience of messing about with aerials so I can give out some information which I hope is helpful: The TV signals on the Broads come from the transmitter at Tacolneston. This is to the south of The Broads and quite a long way from some places. The transmitter power there was increased when the old analogue signals were switched off and this improved reception generally, but boats are low down and often get behind trees and other obstructions which can give problems. The signal from Tacolneston is horizontally polarised so your aerial must be correctly oriented. Cross polarization greatly reduces the signal. The rule of thumb with aerials is the higher and bigger they are, the better they will work. The co-axial cable connecting the aerial to the receiver is just as important as the aerial. It should be good quality, dry, undamaged and have no joints. Connectors must be correctly fitted and preferably soldered. If water gets in then the cable is junk and you need a new one. If reception is poor or suddenly gets worse, look at the co-ax first. The connectors must be clean and free from corrosion. The outer sheath or braid is not a screen. At these frequencies, the co-ax acts as a transmission line with the signals travelling on the surface of both the inner and outer conductors. Any damage or joint can look like a short circuit to the signal. Amplifiers or boosters are no substitute for a decent aerial. They amplify noise and unwanted signals and can cause a range of problems. Passive splitters or diplexers greatly reduce the signal strength. They will at best halve it. If an aerial is advertised as being a miracle aerial then this means it will be a miracle if it works. Aerials that look like dart boards are best for playing darts. Omnidirectional aerials are often small and have no gain so they work best if mounted as high as possible. They have the huge advantage that you don't have to point them at the transmitter so they work on swinging moorings or when you are motoring along twisty rivers. Directional aerials have gain and this means that they effectively boost the transmitter power. As seen in the chart a few posts ago, a gain of 3db is the equivalent of doubling the transmitter power. This is just about enough to notice a difference. However, they work best in static situations. They are not so good when you are on the move. Many aerials have gains much more than 3db and they also reject unwanted signals and noise. There are two types of directional aerials in the shops. Yagis and Log Periodics. They look similar but are not the same and work in totally different ways. Yagis have more gain and are simpler aerials. However, their bandwidth is fairly tight so it is important to buy one made for the Tacolneston transmitter. They will give the best reception and will be cheaper. Log Periodics have less gain than Yagis for similar size aerials but they have a wider bandwidth and are suitable for travelling round the country in a caravan or similar. They usually cost a bit more and are not really necessary on the Broads. So, in summary: Mount it high, use good quality cable. Look at the aerials mounted on the houses in the area, get one the same and point it the same way. Yagis are cheap and high gain. Omnidirectional is best for moving boats but has no gain. Nigel, Ham radio station G4AXA, Ludham
  50. 7 points
    Was having a nose around and found this via google https://www.waveneyrivercentre.co.uk/boating-holidays/
  • Create New...

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.