Jump to content


Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 08/10/19 in all areas

  1. 13 points
    I was reminded by Facebook of a memories picture. Please see the picture of Tan & I sat on the upper helm of Ranworth Breeze with the canopy down. A happy time aboard the boat and being together. Regards Alan
  2. 5 points
    To be fair to the engineers it has not put us out at all. We have not been sat around waiting for them, they have visited when we have moored up for the evening first at the pub and then here at Salhouse. Today they are meeting us at Pedro's. We dont expect any compensation, it is just one of those things that happens and it has not stopped us enjoying our time onboard. With regards the batteries Swancraft had fitted he said it was the physical size and weight that was the problem. They were big heavy duty batteries not the rebadged starter batteries you get now.
  3. 4 points
    Shouldn't "once" be underlined or at least in bold?
  4. 3 points
    I had wondered why certain members of the lads week (myself included) had been practicing falling into the water recently.(I thought I would get that one in before anyone else did).
  5. 3 points
    With the water temperature dropping fast Yarmouth's famous crabs move into deeper water thus are harder to catch!
  6. 3 points
    Luckily (in this case) they didn't use power tools in the early fifties! Keels, mainframes and stem posts were "dressed out" with an adze and most planing was done by hand. Prop shafts were cut through the keel with a hand auger. In the machine shop were a big band saw, about 9ft high, a circular saw and a planer. Much later, we had a thicknesser. All these were mounted on concrete plinths about a foot off the floor, to keep the flood water out of the motors. Almost all other jobs were done with hand tools, although we did have a huge electric drill with handles, that needed two men to hold it and was called a "gut buster", for jobs like keel bolts.
  7. 3 points
    I will say again that the most important link in the maintenance chain is the previous customer reporting any issues, when i was the first hirer on Jayne 2 from marthams i left a snagging list as i handed back the paperwork at reception, they were all small things, the weed filter had stuck in place, and there was a fuel injector that always looked wet, plus the alternator bolt had dropped its nut into the engine oil tray (temporarily fixed by putting a cable tie on the thread to stop the bolt dropping out), bu the time i had walked from the office back to the boat to give it one last look they already had a team of people on board fixing the problems. if every hirer reported all the little niggles like this when they got back, the yards would know what to check / fix, changeover time is quite rushed for most yards so spotting a problem that hasnt been reported must be tricky.
  8. 3 points
    That is a very good idea and for any one out there that wishes to follow my vlogs and just to put one thing to bed cooking on the Corsican is not going anywhere I may not upload one a week but when I have the time I will be making and uploading my cooking videos as it is something I really enjoy and love to share with people , so I hope people continue to watch and enjoy them and please comment how will I know what you guys think if know one tells me all the very best … cheers ...
  9. 3 points
    They'll have to go firkin shopping of course.
  10. 2 points
  11. 2 points
    Hello Neil, Yes I miss Tan a lot, 38 years of marriage and we went out with each other for 7 years before we married, never more than 3 days or so apart in that time either for work or illness in the family. As in all life it is often the little nudge, such as the Facebook message this morning that makes you shed a tear before getting on with the day. Regards Alan
  12. 2 points
    I am doing OK, still working for my sins and my two boys (37 & 34 if you can call them boys) keep me in check. Sadly I did not have any time to post a log of our time aboard the boat in September, Andy was new to the Broads and we showed two couples around the boat the day after we arrived and Tuesday. After the last couple left on Tuesday we went directly to Oulton Broad on Tuesday night ready for our meet up with friends and fellow forum members. We did not return to Brundall until the weekend. I will try and take pictures and do some write-ups next season. Regards Alan
  13. 2 points
    http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/documents/maps/maps69_colt_wrox_hov.pdf that should work
  14. 2 points
    Hi Griff, Everyone goes to Great Yarmouth once Regards Alan
  15. 2 points
    Charlie, you would have to admit, that with the hours of sunrise and sunset and the tide times this year, that was probably the only sensible option other than punching the tides hard and just wasting fuel, as it is we will at least only be punching the tide up as far as the yacht station that day, then using the more favourable tides next day to get up north again. As far as the rest of the itinerary goes, I for one will be visiting locations I have never yet managed to visit so thats a plus for me too. I have been slowly getting everything ready, camera batteries are charging, the shove halfpenny board have been dug out and prepared, darts purchased, and all the other myriad of holiday preparations are taking place.
  16. 2 points
    It’s probably easier to post where we are not going. A first for this years Lads Week is an overnight in GYA. Well it was bound to happen one day. It’s not like I can blame anyone else as I’m responsible for the Navplan Griff
  17. 2 points
    Day 11 Friday 20th I awoke to an overcast but warm day, usual morning chores complete and kettle boiled, I made the tea and delivered it to Jenny in bed. After a light breakfast I cast off and took a slow cruise back across Barton broad, past Irstead and How Hill to Ludham bridge. Safely through the bridge we once again headed for Horning staithe and yet again there wasn’t enough room for us so we turned around and retraced our steps so we could moor in Cockshoot dyke. After I had fished for a good while and got some reasonably sized perch and roach, I showered and changed and we headed off to Acle. We had a slow uneventful journey and unlike Wednesday, nearly all the wild moorings en-route were free and there were several spaces at St Benet’s but we had decided to moor up at Bridgecraft so we could try Pedro’s for our dinner. When we arrived we moored up and Jenny finished the majority of the packing, which I put in the car to save time in the morning. We went to Pedro’s for our dinner as planned, we were a little underwhelmed. We returned to Brooklyn for tea and chocolate and to spend our last night.
  18. 2 points
    In eight years hiring from Summercraft, we didn’t ever need to call the yard to resolve any issues. Perhaps that is the benefit of hiring from a small yard, where there is time to be proactive with regard to maintenance on changeover days. Regardless of the speed with which the engineers respond, given the cost of hiring a boat, there can be no excuses for multiple call outs during ones holiday (imho obviously), especially to fix issues like leaking stern glands which surely should be checked weekly.
  19. 2 points
    Can you post it here, just so I know which pubs to avoid that week
  20. 2 points
    Always moor at the Wroxham Hotel or is it The Hotel Wroxham these days? Nice mooring, reasonably quiet at night and mooring fee refundable against meals in the restaurant. Food is good if a bit pricey for the Broads but we have never had a bad meal there. When Brister Craft was closing I'm sure Mike said to me that the moorings would remain. Something which has not happened but if you zoom in on this ariel shot (photo by Cam Self) of the area you can clearly see the old moorings fenced off. Is there a story or dispute about this land. Would certainly be welcome if they were opened again. Fred
  21. 2 points
    Saturday 28th September I was up early, switched on the kettle, the immersion heater and the heating. It was certainly a chilly morning, but not raining for once. The wife followed shortly after and was joined by lain to take the dogs for their last early Broadland walk. I made my tea, which I drank before going for my shower. Before buying into Moonlight Shadow, when we were hiring, we’d never had a boat with 240v plug-in, never mind an immersion heater, but it didn’t take long to realise what an advantage it is, when mains is available. Fortunately, Norfolk Lady is similarly equipped, for which we are extremely grateful. The others arrived back just as I had finished getting ready, so we quickly mopped the windows with the Karcher window vac, before casting off for the short journey back to Brundall. It was about 07:30 when we arrived at Broom’s fuel quay, just ahead of two of their returning hire craft. Well timed, or what, I thought to myself. Pump outs completed and with Moonlight Shadow refuelled, I paid the £93 bill before casting off and moving to her home berth just a few yards away. With the fuel totalling £70 and given the cruising we’d completed over the week, I was quite happy with the amount we’d used. We moved the cars nearer to the mooring and began to pack them. At least the rain held off and although the process took some time, we were locking her up by 09:30, with the carpets vacuumed and the bathrooms cleaned. Although the boat is cleaned at the end of every weeks use, I hate leaving it in a mess and we always try to leave it as we find it, a habit bred by hiring over the years. It was just a short drive to McDonalds for breakfast, before making the journey home and back to reality. Despite now having our own boat, which we visit every other weekend and will be spending future holidays on, I hate leaving Norfolk. Over the years it has become a happy place for the wife and I, a place where I feel comfortable and ‘at home.’ Norfolk Lady should be back in the water soon and we can’t wait to return, anxious to see the results of Paul’s efforts. I am so thankful that a dream that I held for so long has now become a reality.
  22. 2 points
    Friday 27th September The dawning of the morning of our last full day and for once, the weather looked okay. Deprived of the opportunity to photograph many sunrises this trip, I hastily pulled on some clothes, grabbed my camera and went outside. It wasn’t spectacular, but was a pleasure to watch the sun rise over the horizon, especially at a spot at lovely as Pyes Mill. The wife and Iain had taken the dogs for their walk and Iain and Rachel had expressed a desire to go to Norwich, so we started up and cast off as soon as they arrived back. I’d received a text from Paul at our yard regarding Norfolk Lady, which had been lifted as planned the previous day. He had found a couple of additional jobs under the waterline that required looking at, that hadn’t shown up on the survey. As a result, I needed to call into Brundall on the way through to see him and look at the boat. We arrived there at about 09:00, so we quickly moored and I went to see what he had discovered. We went through the extra bits and pieces, agreed the costs and were quickly heading back out onto the rivers. Someone once said that you don’t so much buy a boat, but buy a hole in the water into which your money is deposited. I’m beginning to understand exactly what that means, however it doesn’t detract from the enormous enjoyment that owning Norfolk Lady has brought to the wife and I so far and the hope that it will continue to do so as I reach retirement and beyond. It wasn’t long before the clouds rolled over, but it still wasn’t raining as we cruised into Norwich. I headed beyond Pulls Ferry and moored, before we all readied ourselves for a walk into the fine city. I realised just after we’d locked up and left the boat, that I hadn’t picked up an umbrella – a mistake that I would later regret. Instead of crossing The Bishops Bridge and turning left, as usual, we turned right, passed the Cow Tower and Jarrold Bridge, before crossing Whitefriars and along Quayside, before arriving at the Ribs of Beef. It really is a pleasant walk in the middle of a busy city. We went up Elm Hill and it was then that the rain started. A few spots at first, then turning into a heavy downfall. I went into Mountain Warehouse to buy another brolly and whilst there, got a raincoat for Harry. Next was Greggs for some snacks for lunch, before wandering back to the boat. Due to the weather, the Cathedral was given a miss, to my disappointment, but we can visit Norwich on Norfolk Lady over another weekend, so not really a problem. Once back on-board Moonlight Shadow, we had lunch and a cup of tea, before casting off and mooring further along the yacht Station to top up the water tanks. The ranger rode up on his bike and collected the mooring fee. By this time, it was approaching 15:00, se we set off again, heading for our overnight moorings at The Ferry House (Surlingham). I had booked a table and a mooring, so space was assured, but the weather was slightly gloomy, matching our moods on the last full day, so we chugged sadly out of Norwich. We passed a couple of craft heading into the city, but them aside, the rivers were quiet as we cruised back along the Yare. I noticed Hot Gossip, moored outside the Sheerline factory at Thorpe, with a For Sale sign displayed. A beautiful looking boat in wonderful condition, but far too expensive for us to consider unfortunately. We were soon at the pub and a concerned private boat owner watched anxiously as we moored stern on, close to his boat. A breeze had picked up and with the ebbing current, it had been a challenging manoeuvre, but exercised without incident to his (and my) relief. There was credit on the nearest electric post, so I gratefully plugged us in, so we could use the immersion heater the following morning. The wife and Iain took the dogs for a walk and I started to pack a few things away, ready for our departure. It was a part of any holiday that I hate. Once again, the sky had cleared and it turned into a lovely, but chilly evening. The others returned and we chatted for a while about the week, before changing and making the short walk to the pub for dinner. The Ferry House has such a warm, welcoming atmosphere, coupled with good beer and great food, it really has become our favourite pub on the Broads. We enjoyed another lovely meal and I even managed three courses – rare for me even with my appetite, before returning to the boat. We did a little more packing before retiring for our final night. It was to be an early start in the morning and I needed to be up, showered and ready.
  23. 2 points
    This was the commissioning ceremony at John Williams Boat yard October 2007. Sandy Williams breaking a bottle of champagne on 'B.A's bow, we scored the bottle with a glass cutter first, then held a landing net underneath said bottle to catch the broken glass. 'B.A' has a s/steel strip on the bow which received the bottle nicely Happy days them were Griff
  24. 1 point
    Marina and I met you both a few years back.Tan was a lovely lady.We were both very sad at her passing.Pleased that you are coping. Best wishes to you and the family from us.
  25. 1 point
    You must miss her an awful lot Alan?. We (Karen and i) had the great pleasure of meeting you and Tan at Loddon, where you invited us aboard Ranworth Breeze, and the short time we spent with you both was a very pleasant experience, and one i`m so sad to know we`ll never have the pleasure of doing again. It was really great to see you looking happy at Oulton Broad last month, and will always be happy that we had the pleasure of meeting Tan. Hopefully, we will see you again next year.
  26. 1 point
    Lovely Alan. Bless you. Tan is sorely missed. I am so pleased she is there in your Avatar. Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app
  27. 1 point
    Lovely photo Alan. I have been glad to still read of your visits on Ranworth Breeze this year. Hope you’re doing ok.
  28. 1 point
    Not sure that would come within RCC rules - although some people seem to be able to get anything through !
  29. 1 point
    I would imagine that it would only race on Wroxham, Oulton and Barton Broads, as is already the case with one or two of the more extreme boats. There are one or two foiled Moths on the Broads and they fairly hoss along!
  30. 1 point
    What stunning photos, thoroughly enjoyed your write up and pics, thank you for sharing, I had full intentions of doing a write up while we were away in Sept but never got round to putting pen to paper
  31. 1 point
  32. 1 point
    As is said in London, 'mind the gap'!
  33. 1 point
    Really nice write up Malcolm, many thanks for taking the time. We finished our week on Lightning the weekend you arrived, and had our customary last evening meal in the Yare, I did wonder whether our paths crossed at any time?. Had we have known you were around, we would have invited you aboard for a cuppa. If you saw a suspect looking bloke with a lovely wife walking up and down the lane looking at the Riverside cottages, it was us. We found one which we're hoping to book for a week after our trip on Lightning next October, but we're not back aboard till mid March next year, so will hopefully bump into you then?.
  34. 1 point
    A most reasonable approach.
  35. 1 point
    I wonder if they meant that the cost of like for like batteries would be the issue? I get that dragging batteries to Salhouse Broad from the car park would be difficult, but yet another engineers visit during a one week hire is too much. I trust that an offer of some financial compensation will be made and not in the form of a voucher to be used against the future hire of another boat.
  36. 1 point
    The engineer who came out did say that these Swancraft boats did have huge batteries but they have been swapped out for more typical batteries as they could not be replaced by one person.
  37. 1 point
    Yep, agree great holiday tale and superb photos Some excellent pubs too!
  38. 1 point
    That's taken years to get my dinghy looking like that JM. Nice looking boats round here get ' borrowed'. Anyway all that flaking paint is protecting the boat underneath and the previous owner had painted the entire hull with self eroding anti foul which still comes off when touched 14 years on. If you touch it you get covered in it. Colin
  39. 1 point
    Summed it up perfectly. The big boys tend to apply reactive maintenance whereas the smaller yards (mostly) do proactive maintenance. This is where Swancraft excelled. They would replace things before they failed and their battery systems were second to none. Genuine breakdowns were as rare as hens teeth. Touch wood (fingers crossed) never had a flat battery. But as Jean says, the yards do need hirers to tell them if there is an issue but I agree, I think the yard should have picked up the battery problem.
  40. 1 point
    When we hired from Richardson's earlier this year the young lad was excellent at our handover and asked if we had any issues which he noted down. But if hirers don't speak up then the yard doesn't know about the problems. As for the batteries, whenever we pick a boat up from Ferry Marina the boat is plugged in on charge.
  41. 1 point
    Lovely write up and beautiful photos. Looking forward to seeing some of those sunsets myself soon. :)
  42. 1 point
    most of them at some time or other from what i have seen.
  43. 1 point
    I've seen the nav plan for the week, there is ample opportunity to take on additional liquids!
  44. 1 point
    As far as I can see, there was a planning application approved for the site for holiday homes – which have not been built. A subsequent application was approved (in Feb 2018) for a variation of conditions, to have the ‘holiday use only’ condition varied to allow use as second homes.
  45. 1 point
    Thursday 26th September My assessment of the previous evening regarding the weather had been entirely correct and it was grey and cloudy again, but not raining. One has to look for a positive! The dogs were taken for their usual morning stroll by Debbie and Iain and I set about making breakfast. Sauteed potatoes were on the menu, so I par-boiled and sliced some baby spuds, ready for frying. The sausages went under the grill to start them off, before being finished in the oven and I grilled the bacon, dry fried some fresh tomatoes and finished off with fried eggs. Once again and although I say it myself, it was rather good and we were set up for the long day ahead. I’d started the engine for hot water, so went for a shower and emerged refreshed and ready. We set off at about 10:00 turning left out of the dyke and left along the Bure. With everyone showered and dressed, I swung into the Broads Boating Company basin again for water. Harry fed the ducks whilst the tanks filled. We were running slightly early for slack water at Yarmouth, but I knew that I would have to punch the tide to get to a decent mooring before sunset anyway. Low water was just before 15:00, so we headed for the Stracey Arms to moor for lunch and so Harry could see the animals and arrived there just after 12:00, so with about an hour and a half to kill, we wandered over to the shop. Although there were a few boats moored there, we were the only visitors at the mill and shop. I bought some pasta and a sauce mix for lunch – we had some parmesan left over from the Bolognese on Saturday night that needed using to accompany the pasta. I cooked lunch, which despite the hearty breakfast went down readily (I attribute the appetite to the Norfolk air as well). We cast off at about 13:30, heading for Yarmouth, Breydon and the Southern rivers. The sky was still overcast, but the sun poked through the occasional break in the clouds, creating shafts of light over the marshes passing through Yarmouth just after 15:00. Moonlight Shadow slowed as we turned at the yellow post, as expected, so we opened the taps a little and crossed Breydon without incident. There was one other boat going our way, but several heading in the opposite direction. I had intended to head for Rockland, mooring either at the staithe or on Short Dyke, but Rachel discovered that she had less nappies than she thought for Kayleigh, so a change of plan was necessary. Instead of Rockland, Loddon became the destination, with the Co-Op more likely to have the required items. We passed through Reedham and the almost deserted moorings at Reedham Ferry. I remember not too long ago when it was difficult to moor there, even with the additional moorings that are now closed. How things have changed. The entrance to the Chet soon appeared, se we pointed Moonlight Shadow's bow into the entrance and cautiously went through the first narrow bends. It is such a pretty river and one that we neglected to visit for far too long. Before our first cruise on Moonlight Shadow last November, I believe that last time we had been along there was in 1995, when we hired Tramotana from Gale Cruisers for one of Iain’s first ever trips on the Broads. Over the past few months and especially since we bought Norfolk Lady, it has become one of our favourite destinations. We arrived at Pyes Mill just before 17:00 and were grateful to find them almost empty. I moored at the end, furthest from the village and the others readied themselves to walk into Loddon. I stayed on the boat to start dinner and take a few photos. Once again, the cloud had broken and although not a full-blown sunset, the setting sun cast a lovely glow over the river and surrounding countryside. I snapped away happily, rushing back on board to check that the food was cooking. The others returned after a successful shopping trip with the required nappies, so all was well. Dinner was soon ready and we had fresh faggots (from the butchers in Ludham) cooked in onion gravy, creamed potatoes and mixed vegetables. As usual, the washing up was done and we played crib for the final time. A meal in The Ferry House was planned for Friday night, so with packing to do as well, there would be no time on Friday. A hot drink followed and we were in bed before 22:00.
  46. 1 point
    Boatyards on the Yare had to take all sorts of precautions against the spring tides, which I think must have been a lot higher in those days. I remember when the men at Hearts used to keep two cats in the sheds, and each was given its own box to sleep in, around the "potbelly" stove in the machine shop. These were old tea chests, filled with suitable bedding and lined with polystyrene dinghy buoyancy, so that they would float when the spring tides came up in the sheds! On winter weekends and Christmas holidays, it was my job to go up and feed the cats in the morning. If the water was up, this meant going from the gun-boat by dinghy to the sheds and then going in with waders on, where I would find the cats contentedly asleep in their boxes. I would have to moor them up to the work-bench, so that they could have their breakfast! I wonder what modern-day Health and Safety would have to say about boatbuilders, spending their working day standing in waders in 2 ft of water, planking the topsides of a boat?
  47. 1 point
    Mustn't forget the Wherry Albion, she;s been similarly honoured!
  48. 1 point
  49. 1 point
    All the best boats have an ale named after them!
  50. 0 points
    I understand that there is a Broads RCC being built with foils for next summer. Can just imagine that going through Horning during the Three Rivers Race.
  • Create New...

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.