Jump to content


Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation since 22/07/19 in Posts

  1. 15 points
  2. 13 points
    As we are getting closer to the beginning of Gracie's next voyage, I suppose I had better finish off this one. “as one by one the scents and sounds and names of long-forgotten places come gradually back and beckon to us.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows Feeding the ducks. I am not a supporter of the 'do not feed the ducks bread brigade'. Let's say I've been sceptical ever since this Facebook driven marketing campaign by pet food manufacturers reared its head. It takes a matter of seconds to track the money changing hands, and a little perseverance to wade through the pseudo-science. Calls related to malnourished water fowl have increased ten fold these last few years here in Lincolnshire. On my beloved Broads, the wildlife populations have changed drastically. The Broads are stuffed with harriers, heron, otter, buzzards, hawks, cormorant, and owl. I often wonder what all these predators are eating and was wondering exactly this point watching eight barn owls hunting the meadow behind the pilot office at Potter Heigham Bridge, when a common buzzard grabbed one of the owls. The answer being, each other! Populations of grey lag geese currently seem to stand out on The Broads. The uniformity of the flock making the lack of duck and coot more prominent. Duck and coot seem to have vanished. My favourite bird the Great Crested Grebe are still here but not in any number. A centre cockpit boat above the reeds exposes the myth the missing birds are in flood dykes. So, you will see me feeding the 'ducks' or in the case of Gracie that morning, feeding the black headed gulls who stood in for the missing ducks on this occasion and they will be dining on bread and scraps. I could feel the 'Norfolk Coffee' I had with Maurice Mynah that morning 'doing me good' as I dropped RT's cockpit roof and made ready to leave Potter Heigham. I waved farewell to Maurice Mynah as he left his mooring, and started the engine. "Wait, wait, I'm not ready!" called a little voice from the galley as Gracie finished her toast and rushed up to the cockpit in a swirl of summer dress and long blonde hair. Leaving the mooring and turning in front of the bridge we headed back down stream with the smell of cooking bacon and eggs wafting deliciously from the galley. Within seconds Grandma arrived bearing a plate of bacon and egg sandwiches and a pot of fresh coffee. Gracie and Grandma then climbed onto RT's roof from the cockpit to take in the sights of Tin Town. Thurne will always have a special place in my heart. It's been the site of so many family holidays from the early 70s onward. In 1972 we were cruising upriver to Potter on board Captain XII. Uncle Albert was at the helm and usually he gave fisherman plenty of room. Cruising up to Thurne Dyke he was paying very close attention to two fishermen hidden in the reeds between the old landing craft turned houseboat and the dyke. The boat in front had cut close to the fishermen hitting the fishing rod of one of them and received 'a good cussin' . Turning Captain XII at the dyke he headed back down stream before turning again and heading upstream. This time he hugged the bank tightly which would mean the irate fisherman would be even more irate having a boat park in front of his peg. "What kind of daft pill...oh aye up ah kid!" the fisherman had started to shout angrily before a gleeful smile crossed his face and he swarmed into the cockpit mud dripping from his waders as he hugged my mum. The two fishermen were father and son in law, renowned for their pranks and practical jokes. The son in law was married to my Mum's school friend and Mum had spent the majority of her childhood as a part of their family, although we had not seen them for almost seven years as we had been abroad wherever Dad was stationed. For the next ten years or so we would join the families camping in the field behind the farm and fishing the Thurne. I relived my childhood memories sharing them with Gracie as Thurne slipped by in a golden haze of sunshine. Out through Thurne mouth and we passed St. Benets. "When I come back we are going there for a picnic!" Gracie announced. Grandma was making a list of places Gracie wanted to visit 'the next time' as I basked in Gracie's enthusiasm. My preoccupation with Royal Tudor, all the hard work of my friends was at last seeing dividends. Under Ludham Bridge and the air horn gave the most pathetic of raspberries as Gracie pressed the button. I've heard the beagles break wind louder than that! Air horn for RT has been added to my Christmas wish list! As we twisted and turned along the River Ant, Grandma went to make sandwiches for lunch and Gracie joined me at the helm. By Irstead we came across the wherry Hathor under sail. In no rush, we pottered along behind her and I kept an eye on river traffic behind us when a shout made me jump. "Oi pillock give us a clue?" I looked down at Gracie stood on her step ladder at the helm, blonde hair flying, straw summer hat and sunglasses. "That's what you are supposed to say isn't it Timbo?" asked Gracie. "Erm...yeah...but not when Grandma can hear you!" I replied glancing nervously into the galley to see if Grandma had heard. The young chappy at the helm of the wherry had not been looking behind him. He was looking now, and looking a bit shocked, but he waved us through with a grin. Across Barton and about to make the turn for Stalham and I heard a thing I thought I would never hear. "Is there somewhere else we can go? It's such a shame to go back now!" said grandma Ellie. "Huh? What, what what what what?" "Shut up and drive!" "Yes Maam!" So we pootled on to Wayford before finally making our way back to Stalham. RT back in her berth, Grandma started her cleaning and I began packing luggage in the rear well ready to load in the car. Cleaning done we had a trip to Sea Palling to attend to before the drive home. At the beach, Gracie and Grandma made sand castles while I took the beagles for a good long walk along the beach. Fish and chips for tea and it was time to say goodbye to Royal Tudor and head for home. "We are coming back?" Gracie asked as I closed the stern canopy. "Yes we are coming back!" said Grandma. "See you very soon!" said Gracie patting RT. Soon we will be back on board RT with Gracie. Since her voyage on RT Gracie has named her new pet fish Royal Tudor. A new picnic basket has been purchased for that picnic at St Benet's. Gracie has compiled a long list of things she wants to see on the Broads...and Grandma has been down to Royal Tudor and started the interior restoration in earnest with a thorough, thorough scrub. RT gleams! Doug has sealed leaks and made new window hoppers, and our friend Trev has fitted new galley taps and sorted a plumbing leak in the shower and under the Captain's Cabin. So...new adventures await Gracie, this time on the Southern Broads!
  3. 11 points
  4. 10 points
    So onto day three ... Tuesday! It wasn't long before the inevitable conversation around where to go. In many ways this is exactly the same as our holidays on the boats ... a few ideas of what we might want to do but planning happens on the day subject to the weather and what we feel like doing. We do like places with somewhere to get coffee mid-morning so the news that the Post Office now also has a tea room had put Reedham onto our list. We probably hadn't been there since our last holiday on the southern Broads which I think was 2015. An interesting journey took us along the A47, turning off before Acle and heading cross-country through Halvergate and Freethorpe. Plenty of free parking along the quayside. We had a lovely walk from one end to the other watching the boats and the bridge swinging, before we stopped for coffee. The ladies in the tea room were very chatty and friendly, service was good, coffee and cake was very good and I would highly recommend supporting this business. I am sure that we will go back. After sitting outside in the sunshine we moved across to one of the seats on the quay near Sandersons. Watched the swing bridge which was interesting. We thought it wasn't going to close at one point, and as it turned out this was the day before they had problems and closed the bridge to river traffic. An indication of what was to come ... maybe. Hubby did the decent thing and helped a large Norfolk Broads Direct boat to moor. The father was at the outside helm on top and one of his children and his wife were waiting at the stern with ropes. But with tricky conditions we could see that he couldn't get close enough to the quay for them to get off so hubby went over and helped them out. It was busy there that morning and we thoroughly enjoyed watching the comings and goings. I could have stayed there longer but it was getting on for lunchtime so we headed back to the caravan for the rest of the day. You can probably spot the pattern here ... go out in the morning, get any shopping we need on the way back then stay around the site for the afternoon and evening. More of that on tomorrow's write-up. For now ... here's Reedham.
  5. 10 points
    Wednesday 10th July Check-out time at the Yacht Station, is 10am so the fact that the tide would be still ebbing out for another couple of hours and was therefore going to really eat into my diesel usage crossing Breydon, was something I had no control over. So after another healthy granola breakfast, I removed two of the securing ropes, at which point one of the rangers joined me to assist my departure. Whilst waiting for a clear run, he told me he would prefer everyone to ask for help if needed and related how a few days earlier, a large cruiser departed into the ebb, hit the boat in front, frantically applied reverse not realising that one of the ropes was just waiting to wrap around the propeller… which it did. No doubt the rangers just strolled to the end of the moorings, waited for the boat to pass, then requested that they be thrown a rope. Anyway, I got on board and when the time was right (I was already facing the bridges) the ranger released the aft rope, which swung Goosander’s rear into the river. The signal was then given to reverse out and off I went, quite fast at that point. Pretty soon I was upon the yellow marker post and could feel the strength of the current hitting me broadside from Breydon. So a fast traverse down the last of the Bure became a passage through what seemed like treacle, up the Yare. Having seen how the Richardsons boat had overheated the previous evening, I was a little apprehensive to push the throttle too much, watching the temperature gauge as I slowly passed each marker post. Finally I reached the other end of Breydon and made my way past Berney Arms Mill. I had not varied the throttle at all, which was giving me around 4.5mph, so it was illuminating to see it slowly pick up as I got further away from Yarmouth. My destination for lunchtime was Loddon, another location where I hoped to launch the drone. Reedham Quay came and went on my starboard side, where I noted that there were still a number of spaces available to moor. I would need one later, as I planned to come back out from Loddon and overnight there. I entered the Chet, which is very narrow and winding at the start, doing the prescribed 4mph, which was certainly fast enough in those confines. Around one of the bends came a bathtub of some sort, careering towards me at speed. I worked out that if he was going to hit anything, it would be the outside of the bend so I just stayed as close to the nearside as I could until he passed by. I am not exaggerating, it really was as hairy as it sounds. I continued on down hoping to be able to moor in the basin, as I had spied a good launch site on Google Maps. Upon approaching the Pyes Mill moorings, I was shocked to see every space taken and thought that was not a good omen for my chosen location. I looked behind to see if anyone was following and was surprised to see I was the first of three boats which were hoping to find a place at the basin. Well it was too narrow to pass me so I resolved to just take my time and hopefully being first, would have more of a chance of a mooring. In fact there were exactly three spaces left. I masochistically chose a space just wide enough for one boat and to my amazement, (and with a little help from the bow thrusters), managed to reverse Goosander in with a minimum of fuss. I decided to check out the drone launch site straight away. I did not want to fly it from the car park as too many people were around. Google Maps showed a footpath leading down past the rear of the adjacent marina, and through into an open scrubby field, which led down to the river. It was ideal! I went back to the boat to collect the drone and I think I got some good shots of the area. Returning to the Goosander, a shower started so I had just carried out the “operation” in time as it is not recommended to fly in the rain, which can damage the motors. Pleased with myself, I had lunch onboard, before taking a walk up into the village. Ever concerned about the availability of moorings, I opted to set off for Reedham at 2.30pm. An hour’s cruise would get me there before most people gave up for the night. As the quay came into view, I could see a choice of mooring spots and chose a spot closer to the Ship Inn end. The tide was flowing in so the task of coming alongside was that much easier. I was soon tied up and just sat there, with the top back watching the comings and goings for a while. It had become noticeably warm and humid so most people were sitting atop their boats. I walked up the ever descriptive “Middle Hill” so I could purchase a newspaper to read that evening, then returned to Goosander planning to visit the Ship Inn for an evening meal later. Come 7pm, I was on my way to the Ship. It was so warm, I decided to order the meal and to consume it sat in the gardens overlooking the river (as did lots of other people). This time I had the Hunters Chicken. I have only ever ordered this a few times, but this meal was the best I have tasted and I would thoroughly recommend it. Today’s cheesecake was a sort of cookie dough texture with ice cream and that too was delicious. It became a little cooler around 9pm, which is when I decided to head for home. The "narrow" approach to Loddon, where the bathtub came bouncing off the sides. Loddon Mill Loddon basin A Triffid at Reedham. I had to be careful it didn't bite my ankle. Reedham Swing Bridge All the rest are Loddon from the air.
  6. 8 points
    Across the world extreme views are proliferating towards intolerence in a way not seen since the 1930s. Any and every effort to counteract the idea that it OK to to negatively discriminate against any group is to be welcomed with open arms. It matters not at all whether any strong attempt is made to police the policy what matters is that here is a large respected business that says bigotry is not OK and they want no part of it. Once you give people permission to hate a group you unleash hell on that group. Never underestimate the potential for hate among those who are easy to persuade! Well done Hoseasons!
  7. 8 points
    We went to Brundall on Friday 26th July for the weekend and eventually arrived after a lengthy journey (due to two diversions caused by roadworks) at about 22:30. We stopped at the Chinese takeaway (just as it started to rain), for some food before heading to the boat. Food eaten, we unpacked the car and watched the TV for a while to digest our meal, before going to bed. It rained all night and was still raining when we got up the following morning, so we got ready and wandered round to the Co-Op for a few supplies. Fortunately, the rain had eased and there were just a few spits and spots by then. We returned to Norfolk Lady and I set to work on the faded gel coat on the wheelhouse roof with some compound, wax and a polishing machine to see what sort of shine could be achieved. It was quite a lengthy process and although I have machine polished cars before, I was not used to compounding gel coat, so was taking my time to make sure I didn’t make things worse. We had some lunch and decided to go for a short cruise, so put the polisher away and set off along The Yare, heading for Langley Dyke. There were a couple of other craft there, but plenty of room for us to moor. The weather was grey and miserable, so we sat and relaxed for a while, grateful to be away from the noise and interruptions that make daily life so hectic. It wasn’t long before the rain started again. We had dinner, watched TV and had an early night. It must be the Norfolk air that makes me so tired! The rain was still falling on Sunday morning, so we took our time getting ready and had breakfast before it eased off. I wanted to do some more polishing, so we set off for our moorings and headed back to Brundall, where I managed to finish working on the wheelhouse roof before the rain started again. We needed to get home at a reasonable time, so packed up a few bits and pieces, loaded the car and went to The Yare for an early dinner, hoping for better weather for our next visit. The journey home was not the easiest, either, with a road closure and forced diversion extending our journey home. Friday 9th August So we arrived at Brundall at about 21:30 on Friday evening, stopped at the Chinese (again) for some food and drove round to the yard where we are moored. We ate before unloading the car as usual, watched TV for a while and went to bed. Saturday dawned to a windy start, just as forecast. We showered and got ready, before wandering down to the Co-Op for some food supplies (again) and returning to the boat. I had planned to spend some time compounding and waxing at least some more of the top of Norfolk Lady to restore some shine to the faded gel coat. The continuing windy weather put paid to any hope of escaping for a cruise, so I managed to complete most of the top before giving up for the day, satisfied with my efforts. We walked back to the Co-Op to buy some garlic bread and I felt compelled to stop at The Yare for a cheeky Ghost Ship on the way back. The wife prepared our meal, which we enjoyed with a couple of glasses of wine. I was somewhat tired, due to the exertions of the day (and probably the wine) so went to bed early where I fell quickly and soundly asleep. It was bright and sunny when we woke on Sunday, although still quite breezy, so we decided to have a short cruise up the river before having breakfast. We managed to get away from the moorings and chugged up the dyke, turning left onto The Yare. Short Dyke was my intended destination and it didn't take too long to get there. We moored up and my attention turned to cooking breakfast. Once eaten and with the washing up done, we took the opportunity to relax for a while before heading back to the yard. The weather had changed and the clouds had rolled in, but it wasnt raining. I still had a little more polishing to do, together with a couple of other bits and pieces, which were completed before we had a brief, but heavy shower of rain. Sadly, we packed the car, the weekend having passed far too quickly, but stopped at The Yare for a meal before leaving for home. The next visit is planned for August Bank Holiday weekend. Bring it on, but hopefully with some more clement weather for a change!!
  8. 8 points
    Hi All I have added to the Ludham Archive website some information about Frank Harding Chambers. Frank was a mathematician who turned his hand to boat designing at the start of the 20th Century. Part of his skill was his ability to use mathematics to give his boats the best possible handicap in the races. He was able to keep one step ahead of the handicappers and his boats were winners. You can read about Frank on this link. http://www.ludhamarchive.org.uk/chambers.htm I have also added the memories of his grandaughter, Ruth, who grew up in Ludham and had an interesting childhood. You can find her memories here: http://www.ludhamarchive.org.uk/memwritdanilof.htm I hope this is of interest (or at least a bit different) Nigel Webmaster, Ludham Community Archive Group
  9. 7 points
    Sunday 18th August Awake most of the night. We set the alarm to make sure we were awake but needn't have worried. Away from St Olaves about 6:05am and had a very peaceful cruise down to Breydon and across to Yarmouth. From Yarmouth to The Stracey Arms we took it in turns to get showered and sorted whilst the other one was cruising and stopped at Stracey Arms to buy the next Chris Crowther book (I ended up buying two so that with the milk I could pay on my card as it is a minimum of £15 spend and wanted to try and keep the little bit of cash that we had before being able to get some more.. We also stopped there for breakfast which was lovely but very strange to have one dog sat on one's of the tables and the other one walking around the kitchen and the customers. Carrying on we decided to head for Womack Water, one of my all time favourite places anywhere, stopping on route at Acle for water. At the Thurne mouth the heaven's opened but we couldn't get the windscreen shut properly so that was fun ..... Not! By the time we got to Womack it was "what rain?" and the sun was back out. Womack was relatively quiet considering it was a Sunday lunchtime. Walked across to the shop and treated ourselves to a magnum and then wandered and admired all the boats. Left there at about 2pm and were heading down the Ant. More boats about to day which was good to see. The wherry was also out which was great to see along the river. We were looking for a wild mooring spot for the night but most of them were taken or those that were available were too small for Prince. Carried on across Barton Broad where we spotted an otter!! Not quick enough with the camera though. It appeared a couple of minutes later but much further away. We carried on towards Wayford but we were too high for the bridge so turned round and headed towards Stalham. Again the good wild spots were taken but by this time it was about 5:30pm so to be honest would have been very surprised to find one. We moored up at Richardson's on the corner of the far quay in sight of the beautiful boats in the shed! Tomorrow we're thinking a trip into town first for provisions and then maybe just a short cruise somewhere to watch the world go by. PS Saw Thunder today, waved but apologies as no photo. Goosander is moored in Richardson's tonight along with an awfulmlot of their own boats. Business is definitely not booming on the Broads this year!
  10. 7 points
    The rules were changed in 2004 and are about to change again. To wear an un-defaced blue ensign on your vessel you do need to be a serving officer in the maritime forces or an active reservist in addition to any award made to your vessel. The fine is currently set at £1K. It's something I had to look into on behalf of my Dad (Uncle Albert) and I had a nice chat with a chap at the Admiralty on the subject. He explained it as 'like wearing a regimental tie if you were never in the forces or getting an SBS tattoo if the closest you ever got was delivering spuds to Hamworthy Barracks'. Apparently it is the right of every British Citizen to fly the Red Ensign and is the flag you are supposed to fly and not the Union Flag. (When working abroad we would always carry a red ensign in case of emergency. We were told British troops apparently treat anyone flying the Union Flag with suspicion.) Fly the union flag and it means the Queen is on board. Fly the Flag of St George means there's an Admiral on board. On board Royal Tudor I have Uncle Albert's collection of flags. He shinned up many a mast to collect them, so there's the masthead from HMS Carrysfort and the pennant from the Commodore's staff car that he swiped. I decided this weekend at the wooden boat show I'm going to make a light box to frame them and put it in 'The Captain's Cabin' on Royal Tudor along with Uncle Albert's cap ribbons and his bosun's whistle.
  11. 7 points
    It was a Saturday afternoon, 3 years ago, when we were stuck onboard Fiday Girl at Acle bridge with strong winds gusting up to 35 mph. At about 4pm a hire boat from Wroxham struggled past us and then turned to come in nose to nose with us.... The elderley couple were already distressed and I attempted to shout helpful instructions into the howling wind but they couldn't hear. A few minutes later, with our bow roller hanging half off, we managed to tie them up. So what tomorrow? From 10.00 - 17.00 the wind forecasts are for SW 25/26mph and gusts to over 45mph. I wouldn't personally take my own boat out in those conditions.
  12. 7 points
    Quick update on the charity poster, we sold these at the Beccles boat show over the weekend, to say the response was overwhelming would be an understatement, along with the poster sales we also auctioned the original painting and sold last years painting . And a couple of kind souls also commissioned pictures of their own boats . so this morning we went to Weston Park cancer charity and gave them £2102.00 once I have completed the commissions and collected payment for extra sales there will be an extra £700 or so. we still have few posters left if anybody is interested £15 inc post etc so thank you everybody, we were very humbled by your generosity.
  13. 7 points
    Well done Liz, and two others, who got it right. It is St Olaves. Looks a bit different now! I would guess the first photo was taken from the bridge itself. The launch, complete with yard hand in yachting cap, is typical of many boatyard launches in those days, as a large number of breakdowns were attended by river rather than road and it was always the nearest Blakes or Hoseason yard who went out to a casualty. This one may have come from Johnsons Yacht Station or perhaps one of the yards on Oulton Broad. At one time I thought it was the Blakes towboat that they used to operate from GYYS but my memory now suggests that one was a clinker built boat, more of a fishing boat type. Anyone else remember it? Or perhaps a photo? In those days any accidents or incidents were well covered by the nearest boatyard. Half the time they never even billed each other for the service, unless it was on insurance. We all knew it might be our turn next, so a charge was not often made! Nowadays incidents, even small ones, have to be covered by inshore rescue boats and such, as there are no more local boatyards. That's not a political point - just a matter of how much the holiday business has changed over the years.
  14. 7 points
    What is with Norfolk pubs turning into these wanabee a la carte gastropubs?.. I know I'm probably as common as muck (Parents fault of course) but i do like good tasty meal but a menu like would make me run a mile, Pourquoi dans Francais, ces la Norfolk? When I'm on the boat I'm normally dressed like a tramp who hasn't shaved for a week, yup I can scrub up but I'd rather not go posh if I can avoid it.. I'm on holiday.. a very tasty local (written in english) meal made with sheep, cows or chickens from the back garden, together with some greens and veg also from round the corner would be lovely. I don't want a road killed penguin and kangaroo, I don't want to text my pop's to ask him to translate for me (Ok I'm not that bad!!) Norfolk certainly has some amazing cuisine and is bloody lovely but Norfolk needs to remember that it's not invented the motorway yet an isn't london, or Pari', rustic but well done is my wishlist.. I miss my locks already.. bloody BBQ it is in September then...
  15. 6 points
    As reported in the local press today there was a panic in Wroxham as they realised they may not have enough ice cream. This was further compounded when the reporter spotted this.
  16. 6 points
    Back on track! Oulton Broad cruiser racing today:
  17. 6 points
    The flappies have one of those too, normally holding the tiller.....
  18. 5 points
    A few years ago I needed to get a new windscreen for our Sh*tland 535. It's a long story but just to say a policeman damaged it! (They paid for the new one too)! I contacted Shetland, and that is a trial in itself, the only screen they did was tinted. Now I want to see want is in front of me be it dusk of fog. Due to problems with Shetland I went elsewhere. I went to Engineering Design Plastics in Cherry Hinton, Cambridge. I chose 5mm clear Polycarbonate and Just an oblong sheet just a little oversize. I used the old one as a pattern and cut it with a jigsaw. The Shetland one was going to be Perspex which is brittle and cracks easily, Polycarbonate Is not brittle so cuts beautifully. Cost me less than half what Shetland wanted to charge me.
  19. 5 points
    Out with the old, in with the new. Meet 'Trevor the Transit. He is 4 x years old with only 18'k on the clock. Full service history, one owner from new. Lots of factory fitted optional extras and gizmos onboard. Today is our first working day together. Collected Trev from Norfolk yesterday. So far well chuffed with the new steed. Lots to purchase and make him more user friendly for his new role Griff
  20. 5 points
    Hope we have 6ft6 on wednesday, could leave the screens up ! Think there is something happening south, with old boats made of sticks and tar.
  21. 5 points
    Under the heading 'strange but true' comes the information that, contrary to popular belief, there are just as many young people that suffer a stroke as do old people. This was something I found out when it happened to me. One minute I'm as fit as a lop, the next I'm sitting in casualty being spoken 'at', rather than 'to', by a young medic. “I think you've had a str...” the medic had started to say before I keeled over and the lights went out. I could remember a moment of warmth and security as I regained consciousness. Someone was holding me and stroking my brow. “Yuh alright sunshine, nuh worry mi wi protect yuh from harm.” a female voice with a heavy Jamaican accent whispered. I tried to sit up, but my limbs were leaden and unresponsive. I tried to speak but my tongue clove to my dry mouth. “Nuh fuss lie still an nurse Phoebe wi luk afta yuh.” whispered the voice as cool and refreshing as the water I was being given to drink. Over the coming weeks and months, Nurse Phoebe became my rock. A constant in the wreck of my life. She was beautiful, both inside and out. Certainly old fashioned, her attitude much older than the twenty-two years she claimed to be or looked. Her starched white apron over her blue dress and traditional nurses cap made a stark contrast to the drab grey smocks and scrubs of her colleagues. Above all, it was love that made her stand out. To the doctors and other nurses, at best, I was broken and needed to be patched up and sent on my way. At worst, just another backside to wipe. No, Phoebe was different. Who cared if she looked old fashioned. Who cared if she seemed to appear when I needed her? Who cared if she seemed to walk through walls? The bloody 'Trick Cyclist', that's who cared! The psychiatrist grasped my chin, shining a light in my eyes. “Peduncular hallucinosis!” “Bless you!” I said looking to see if Phoebe had appreciated my quip. But instead of her usual infectious grin, tears trickled down her cheeks. “You have damaged the mid-brain resulting in your experiencing hallucinations. It's rare, but it does happen. Patients can see all manner of people, animals, colourful patterns, usually in the evening but they can occur at any time.” “What? So I can add being psycho to the dodgy speech, arm, hand, leg and dribbling when I eat?” I eventually spluttered. “Oh, the hallucinations can be short term, although they could last for years. Some people enjoy them you know! I've prescribed a sedative, for now, we'll soon have you out of here and back to work!” “Wonderful” I mumbled as a nurse in grey scrubs jabbed my arm with a hypodermic. At the end of my bed, Phoebe seemed to shimmer as she clasped a fist over her heart and then pointed at me. My eyes grew heavy and Phoebe faded from view before everything faded to black. 'Out of here and back to work' the 'Trick Cyclist' had said. I was certainly 'out' but 'back to work'? You see, there is not a lot of call for archaeologists and historians that have difficulty stringing a sentence together let alone operating a damned shovel. Can't dig, can't talk and can't teach. “We do have the reputation of being 'the friendly college', but there's not a lot we can do with a fellow having trouble with his 'worms' as you just put it!” the Master had said. It served me right for trying to sneak through the Old Lodge instead of going through the main entrance. He was bound to catch up with me at some point. “And then there's the drinking. It simply won't do!” Again, he was right. It simply wouldn't do. There just wasn't enough of it to make me stop feeling. Ever since the stroke, I felt wrong, on edge. Do you know that feeling when you were a kid and you were really, really in trouble and your brain was working overtime trying to predict your punishment? Or when your Dad was drunk and belligerent and arguing with your Mum and you knew any minute his fists would start landing punches? That sick feeling when you know something is so dreadfully wrong but there's nothing you can do about it? No? So, just me then. But that's what I felt like twenty-four-seven, ever since Phoebe had faded from view. Drinking had helped, proffering a few blessed hours of oblivion but then I'd missed the company of my imaginary friend. You couldn't say it was drink and drugs, because I'd stopped taking the medication in the hopes of catching a glimpse of her. “You need to sort yourself, John, find a purpose, something to do.” “Like what?” I mumbled wishing I'd kept my mouth shut. “I'm glad you asked, Professor Cornelius, says he can make use of you.” “Never heard of him.” “Well, he's heard of you and you are expected.” “Where will I find him?” I asked knowing it was already a done deal. “Norfolk.” “There isn't a Norfolk College.” “The Norfolk Broads, John, The Norfolk Broads!”
  22. 5 points
    No cook it rare so a good vet could bring it back to life,finely chopped mushrooms fine dice shallots cooked salt black pepper.set aside with the fillet allow to cool.a good homemade pate puff pastry. Best homemade,or a good all butter puff pastry. Chive pancakes.wrap the fillet using the pancakes coat the fillet in the mushroom mix and pate use egg to act as glue and colour. Make sure the beef is wrapped allow to cool and set in the fridge for at least half an hour.Cook.in a hot oven 180/200c check after about 10 minutes reduced the temp to 160-170.Make sure pastry is crisp,total cooking about 30 40 mins.allow to rest,serve with seasonal veg and roast spuds,and a rich red wine sauce.Not for the faint hearted but a true classic. A tip before you start with the beef take from.the fridge about half an hour (room temp).
  23. 5 points
    Being both a boater and an active Angler, I too have a trotter in both camps. With regards to those that quote scientific argument on either side of maintaining or abolishing the closed season - I don't give a toss - Not even a nanno. I do however have an opinion and complete any surveys related to this hot topic I come accross I want the closed season maintained just as it is, not reduced but maybe extended if owt. My reasons are not scientific but they are my reasons, opinions and I'm entitled to them all the same. I do not expect others to agree with my opinions, just respect my right to voice them whether they are agreed with or not. I'll list a few of my reasons to continue with the closed season on the rivers of the Broads in no particular order. My list is not definitive and I maintain the right to add to it as I see fit:- 1) It gives the banks / fauna a respite. 2) It gives nesting birds a respite. 3) It give none nesting birds a respite. 3) It gives all riverside wildlife a respite. 4) It gives the fish a respite. 5) It gives boaters a few precious weeks of not having to keep a wary lookout for bank anglers camouflaged or otherwise. 6) It gives the rag-n-stick brigade full use of the river without having to worry about anglers. 7) It removes any potential arguments with regards to mooring / angling for a few precious weeks. 8) It gives no end of partners a respite from the Angler onboard a vessel choosing a mooring based on the prospect of fishing. 9) It gives non fishing partners the opportunity to 'Get Stuff Done' by their Angling other halfs. 10) It sometimes gets my blood pressure up witnessing out of season fishing but a chance to 'Do the right thing' - Report them! and finally 11) I like the closed season Griff
  24. 4 points
    Still out is me! Can't believe there has been only one sighting, it's not like I ain't easy to see... Stracey Arms tonight and back across tomorrow for a few days south ending on Oulton Broad BH Monday. Beccles next Tuesday to collect Royal Tudor and then off to the salt side with RT alongside. It's all go at the top
  25. 4 points
    You see, I don't have a problem with those few fangled things called curtains! Much less hassle and it gets the wife,partner, girlfriend,boyfriend more involved too!!
  26. 4 points
    Good heavens, just how many partners does a girl need in this day and age??!!
  27. 4 points
    There is no truth in the rumour that RT is joining the Hunters Fleet?
  28. 4 points
    just needs red and green mirrors
  29. 4 points
    Nobody can take away from Norwich that they scored the first goal of the new season, shame they forgot which way they were kicking......
  30. 4 points
    Hi new to this forum stuff but just thought I would put this on not on the broads anymore an only taken a few days ago but may be of interest
  31. 4 points
    Someone suggested I put pen to paper a little while ago. I was re-reading the 'much flogged' book Ghosts of The Broads the other week, there's a copy kept on RT, and thought perhaps it's time for a reboot? Recently I've been researching the perfume industry in London between 1700 and 1900, a period in history when they were still defining alchemy from chemistry. So, I started digging into the thought on alchemy prevalent at the time through original and contextual publications. While doing this, I stumbled upon a story I found incredibly interesting, which linked various people through history with places I hold dear and know well, from my Cambridge College, to Thurne Mouth to St Bennet's Abbey. So... And yes, I am looking for guinea pigs and editors to see if I can turn my hand to writing. I can churn out an essay in minutes but trying to write in a way that holds the attention, keeps the story moving at pace and getting the reader to keep reading really is challenging. How am I doing so far?
  32. 4 points
    Wayford to Honing Lock (North Walsham Canal) Thankfully there was a spare mooring available just by the road bridge at wayford ensuring that could jump in Bruce and head north. We choose to ignore the temptation to go out during the heatwave so waited for the saturday instead..annoyingly the temparture dropped what felt like a full season and rain was forcast but after that heat it wasn't too bad. We've been under wayford before both by boat and with Jaws the dinghy but the river feels a lot wider in the canoe. The entrance to the canal now has a "Welcoming sign" although sadly not for hire canoes (which I couldn't quite understand) soon into the canals the trees started to cover overhead, sadly the water although shallow enough was cloudy so it was hard to see any fish. When not paddling it was dead silent just the odd call from a bird (Sorry I'm still so bad with my bird calls!). Further up we heard the call of fellow humans and the sound of paddles on canoe gunnels. I looked back and saw three ladies putting us to shame powering down the canal in a hire canal, we pulled to aside and let them pass, offering hello's and enjoys! It seems that canalcamping.co.uk have a dedicated fleet so no norfolk broads hire canoes are welcome.. Adding more to the feel that this is away from the broads! Further up the reeds started to close in, and the trees cleared opening up to grazing land, just ahead a bridge appeared although the request for tolls honestly box drew our attention, we have british canoe membership and I'm sure that I read that this canal is covered under that membership but we agreed we will stop on the way back down. Under the Tonnage bridge (which I guess was originally used to collect tolls - hence kinda cool it still is today) looking very pretty, a small private day boat moored in a boat shed raised a couple of eyebrowls, Imagine living here with this all to yourself! Further up stream (if you say that on a canal) it was a lot more overgrown, trees hanging over the canal, or falling in, the stream covered with very thick waterlilies making it tough to get solid strokes of the paddle, we really had to zigzag to get moving, near to edges it was very shallow too. On the left side though some very very neat looking glamping pods appeared, some with hot tubs! I so want to try them one day £120 per night maybe not :( (tonnagebridge.co.uk). Further up the canal widened just before forking, we had to actually stop and check the map as I wasn't sure, we couldn't spot the tracks of the ladies who passed us either, seems like it heads to the left.. the big most overgrown! Sections of this bit really was very shallow and very narrow, the canoe was clearly running over down trees. At this point we spotted a family in two blow up kayaks heading down, we all stopped for a quick chat, they needed the time and we asked where they had come from and how much further, it certainly seems canoeing/kayaking is very friendly! They had "Put in" about 30 mins further up which was just where I wanted to head to. We all headed off wishing all a happy paddle. The river went from narrow sections where trees had fallen to larger sections where I guess reeds couldn't grow due to sediment or some other natural reason. But it kind shows what happens if the Rivers aren't managed of if boat traffic is restricted. I do love seeing sheep and just ahead it seemed the river stopped suddenly in a field of sheep although I spotted a tight right turn and it carried on but now at this point it was as narrow as the canoe and you could hear the sound of running water, I knew there was a kind of weir at the end so I guess sadly we was just about to reach the end. You can get out though and carry the canoe further upstream but it had taken a couple of hours of very slow paddling to get this far an it was now raining so that was for another day! I certainly just wanted a bit of taster and see what it was like and it was just perfect, it's hard to explain what it's like to see new bits of norfolk after spending so many years on the main rivers but we both certainly enjoyed the trip. It was good to have a bit of a current back down as we retraced out paddle strokes.. It was certainly almost a bit of a shame to see the main river again at wayford certainly as I had to yell at a boater who really wasn't looking but a lovely meal in the Wayford Inn finished a very neat evening doing something different on the broads. I'm planning on doing lots more of this including some overnight canoe camping spots. If anyone wants me to share give a shout out! (Sorry for crap pictures, I'm still playing with waterproof photography bits, struggling with fogging up at the moment but I'll get there).
  33. 3 points
    I was thinking that myself, as white metal fragments would not be apparent when dipping the oil level, and probably not when changing the oil by sucking it out, as we tend to do in boats. You would probably only know about this if you had removed the sump drain plug.
  34. 3 points
    thats called the Breydon water agreement..
  35. 3 points
    All fish are protected Simondo, if only by the ineptitude of those trying to catch them. :-)
  36. 3 points
    Don't have tinted windows but do have outside window cover ( can't see in/can't see out). The main advantage of them is when leaving the boat, is it stops that damned leak (in heavy rain) that I have been chasing for 6 years! paul
  37. 3 points
  38. 3 points
  39. 3 points
    There is no doubt that the hire yards are feeling the pinch this year - but anecdotal evidence suggests that the holiday business as a whole is squeaking a bit! It is quiet on the rivers, but not only is there a noticeable absence of hire boats around, there seem to be less private boats on the rivers. Yesterday on Ranworth Staithe there were still 4 spaces at 4 o'clock. I don't think that there is any one reason, other than uncertainty - people hate that and with a stagnant property market, people just feel uncomfortable. Are they not taking holidays or are they staying at home or just spending less money? We can speculate but it is probably just a number of issues, all of which have an impact.
  40. 3 points
    They can issue special directions at short notice to close Breydon. As of yet I don't believe they have done so for private boaters, but most certainly have done so for hire boats in the past. I have rang the yacht station at Yarmouth in the past and been told as a private boater it is not closed, but they would not recommend crossing. I guess at that point you might have some trouble with your insurance company if there was an incident, for ignoring "professional" advice. I queried last year the validity of that "professional" advice and got sin binned, so I won't repeat that discussion again! Even if I have noticed in recent times a forum shift more towards knocking the BA!
  41. 3 points
    Best put a reef in the sail! Wise words, John. Don't think they will deter folk though.
  42. 3 points
    Topic drift on you're own thread Helen?
  43. 3 points
    I knew those dinosaurs would get him in the end
  44. 3 points
    Now strangely enough for a boat with a bare 6' headroom, the bed was lovely, with room to spare, a good 6'6" plus and comfortable to boot, I slept in to 5am this morning.
  45. 3 points
    It was a murky Monday evening when out of the mist came the silhouette of the ghostly galleon drifting slowly down the broad.
  46. 3 points
    A picture from today from our clubs facebook page..
  47. 3 points
    Yes and no. The positive side of it is that amongst the new intake are several members that have a deep understanding both of the Broads and the CEO. JP's grip is weakening!
  48. 3 points
    You've not lived if you've not been in the Medway mud ;)
  49. 3 points
    Thanks Ian, I stumbled across boating when stopping smoking, I bought a little cabin cruiser to renovate on the front drive at home to keep my hands busy and mind distracted and it worked 👍 I found a mooring at Bethels Bridge Boating Club in East Yorkshire and was hooked 🎣. Within weeks I part-ex’d my boat for this current 28 foot live-aboard little gem. Love the relaxing new hobby and looking to further educate and enjoy a new healthier pursuit. Love the new boat 🚤 which needs sympathetic aesthetic restoration but she’s in a safe pair of hands, now I’m part of a supportive forum of like-minded people.
  50. 3 points
    Thank you for that , most interesting to read the comments about the menu . I too feel that far too many pubs are trying to be too clever with their menus , imho it is hard to beat a quality ploughman’s with either a good Stilton or Cheddar , homemade pickles and fresh baked bread . I love a fish curry , but in a curry house , I don’t want to go in a traditional pub and come out stinking of garam masala . When I was in the trade the biggest sellers were the old classics , ham (home cooked) egg and chips , sausage and mash with onion gravy, ploughman’s (as above) , rare beef salad, homemade chilli and lasagne and yes burger and chips along with the usual steaks , chicken and mixed grills cooked on a chargrill , the sauces etc were served in pots not sachets , good honest food that people know and enjoy and aren’t a challenge to the taste buds .
  • Create New...

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.