Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'kenmure'.
Found 1 result
Just to put everything in perspective, I’d like to start with a brief history of Kenmure (apologies to those who already know all of this!). All the credit for our knowledge of Kenmure’s past must go to Brian and Joy (the previous owners) who did a huge amount of research on both Kenmure herself and her original owner, Capt. John Muir Donaldson MC (the MC was awarded for conspicuous gallantry on 15 July 1916 at High Wood during the Battle of the Somme). Capt. Donaldson ordered Kenmure from the Press brothers on 5th November 1925. Kenmure is identical to another Press yacht named Pearl, indeed the original sail plan for Kenmure (held by Jeckells) is labelled as Pearl 2. Pearl was part of the Press brothers hire fleet and one can only imagine that Donaldson probably hired Pearl at some time before placing the order although there is no surviving record of this. Search on "Kenmure AND Pearl" in the other forum to see what has become of Pearl. Kenmure was launched in early March 1926. Her registration fee was 2/6 (that’s 12.5p for anyone not familiar with old money)! The toll was £1 per annum and insurance with Commercial Union £7 per annum. Her maiden voyage was from Wroxham to Ranworth on 24th April 1926 – C&G Press then charged 10 shillings to bring her back to Wroxham from Ranworth on April 26th 1926! Pun alert! Capt. Donaldson was a leading light in the electricity generating and distribution industry. He was President of the IEE 1931-32. There is a short video of him on Youtube (search on "Donaldson 1949"). Kenmure is thought to have been the first yacht on the Broads to have an electric inboard motor, probably installed as early as 1928. Donaldson also owned another Press yacht Morning Calm from 1939 to just after the end of WW2. The last recorded voyage under Capt. Donaldson’s ownership was on Monday 25th May 1953 from Barton to Wroxham. By 1954 she had been sold to Trumans where she was used as the family boat before going into hire with Trumans and then with Eastwood Whelpton (under the name Wind Lass). She subsequently went back into private ownership before being bought by Brian and Joy in March 1977. We bought her in March 2016 which marks the beginning of Kenmure’s story under our stewardship! Watch this space for the next instalment ……..