Bilge Pumps

Silly question really, about bilge pumps. I do realize that water entering a boat is relative to the size of the hole it's coming through, but is there any sort of equation that's used to buying a new pump and float switch. I've been looking on a few sites, and come up with the Rule 1100 with a Rule Super switch. Any comments would be appreciated.

Baz

Guest chriscraft

sounds about right to me if that,s 1100 litres an hour,should cope with a faulty stern gland,or holed outdrive bellows as normaly these start off as drips/weeps,

cheers Trev

sounds about right to me if that,s 1100 litres an hour,should cope with a faulty stern gland,or holed outdrive bellows as normaly these start off as drips/weeps,

cheers Trev

:grin: Trev! I've seen Baz in action with a drill, so I reckon 3300 litres would be about right for him,, :Stinky

Most bilge pumps fitted to leisure boats will only cope with minor leaks and rainwater accumulation. Unless you are plugged in to shore power with a good auto charger or are running your motor they will also quickly flatten even a well charged battery if they have any real work to do. Thus rapidly decreasing in capacity and quickly becoming useless. Just as an example a 1 ½†hole only 18†below the waterline will let in well over 4,000 litres per hour and as that is the size of most heads flush inlets and smaller raw water cooling inlets it is worth making sure you turn them off when leaving the boat and ensuring they have two good quality SS hose clips such as JCS high torque.