Fender Woe!

JennyMorgan

As one who has never bought a fender in his life I view the fact that some hire yards are now having their names printed on fend-offs as a retrograde step.  It was bad enough having a fender with SeaLine printed on it hung over the side, on a sailing boat for heaven's sakes, but can I justly keep a fender with the owner's name and address, as well as the deck-plate, on it? Does this latest, anti-social move mean that ardent fender collectors such as myself will leave named fenders forever floating along with the tide, or will their owners comes along and retrieve them? Will the Broads become a depository for lost fenders that no one wants? Will the yard in Wroxham or Staham refund me the postage if I return them? Will the owners be at Oulton Week and will they welcome the return of their lost fenders if they are lobbed into their cockpits as they pass? Indeed will the owners now row round the Broad after a days racing and retrieve their errant fenders? Perhaps there will be a system put in place for named fenders to be deposited for collection at 24hr moorings? I fear that my beer money is under threat!

• Like 5

Well I think this is a good move. Fender collectors will now be able to have far more detailed collections rather than the more usual one blue one and one white long one etc..

Who knows, in the future we may even be able to visit a fender museum!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Baitrunner said:

I picked up a large orange fender/buoy last year up near Breydon. It's been taking up space in my anchor locker as no idea what I will do with it as it doesn't match any of mine!

Maybe we should have a fender auction?

That's mine :liar

How large is large? we could do with a good sized one for Orca's mooring.. and I need some good ones for the new boat because erm the wind will be a constant pain and will push me into everything (whilst I work out how to drive the bloody thing). Happy to donate to the RNLI or local charity for any that I can't salvage myself :)cheers 

Alan,

I will get a picture for you at the weekend and if it is any use it's yours. I did see a lot of sailies looking very confused after we picked it up and the mud weight on the bottom has also come in handy:party:

Only kidding about the last bit. It was tucked up in the reeds.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I could just about live with that, Chris, but are there such things as Cornish Crabber fenders? Surely Crabber owners, like Drascombe sailors, are above such frippery?I

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I could just about live with that, Chris, but are there such things as Cornish Crabber fenders? Surely Crabber owners, like Drascombe sailors, are above such frippery? 

It appears not any more Peter. They used to, nice white ones with the Crabber Logo. Could be collectors items now! Alot has changed at Crabbers in the last few years. Sure they are in fine financial fettle but their interior finish and a few other things are not what they were. IMHO.

5 hours ago, Baitrunner said:

I picked up a large orange fender/buoy last year up near Breydon. It's been taking up space in my anchor locker as no idea what I will do with it as it doesn't match any of mine!

Maybe we should have a fender auction?

Why don't the hire yards all stock the same fend-offs? Make matching 'em a darn sight easier for us avid collectors!

Mark, maybe a fender swap shop at NBN meets or even on-line?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I view the fact that some hire yards are now having their names printed on fend-offs as a retrograde step.

What a great idea,

......so many possibilities..........   :)

designer fenders.jpg