Some Good News At Last - For Us Anyway

LadyPatricia

Good morning one and all :D

Had a trip up to Lady Patricia yesterday. Engine is now in good running order :dance and I spent the day ripping out all the carpet inside the cabin. Now Deb has to choose the required colour / colours of the new lining carpet and make new curtains.

A quick question for some of you in the know. I want to fix some batons to the fibreglass while it is striped bare to enable fixing of curtain rails instead of having to use those net curtain wires as we have at present. Is there a contact adhesive on the market that will not react with fibreglass?

these batons will then be covered by the carpet so will not be visible. 

cheers

Steve

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Thanks again for all the help and advice. Danny I've had someone, a very kind chocolate eating woodie :razz:, offer to show me the way to bond the batons to fibreglass using fibreglass. 

Now she is up and running again I've found some real enthusiasm to get her all up to scratch. 

Grace, jaws is a really bad influence on me, or should I say on Deb. He was the one that said the carpet was unhealthy and he wouldn't sleep on it. Guess what .......... Deb then refused to sleep on it until the lining was replace :shocked. Remember, if in doubt .......... Blame Mr JawsOrca 

cheers

Steve

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

OK then, the M8! :party:

That's ok going through the centre of Glasgow with four lanes! Once out of the city its only two lanes to Edinburgh, and yes JA, I have seen both lanes with Jeremy Clarkson's favourite wheelies!:naughty: blocking progress above 50mph! Grrrrrr!

cheersIain

Steve! all the batons in my boat are glued using Tec7 sealant, I miss placed one baton and a day later when I tried to remove it, it actually tore the GRP, I swear by the stuff, it even sets under water, you and Debs saw my ceiling in Kali II all 1/4 ply and still solid,, so depending how wide your batons are a couple of good beads would do the trick,,

Frank,,,

• Like 2

I am pleased thats things seem to be moving in the right direction ,most people would have kicked the cat and the boat and cashed in there chips,you both have stuck with it.Good luck to you and Deb,enjoy the boat and the river this year.

PS Cant help with the DIY,however any tips on cooking and food I can help.

Best wishes Ian

• Like 1

My ears were getting warm?! :huh:;) 

Looking good Steve. So pleased it's all moving forward :).. 

We have used normal grab adhesive. Although I'm not sure it would stay up (depends how clean the fibreglass is).. Glassing is the best thing to do although it's gonna be messy and a right pain (get debs to do it).. but it will work then. The ribs you mention there should do the job... just remember to use smaller screws (but all it needs to do it bite).. Please though use 6mm wbp boarding though.. anything else will sag and you will hate it. (Plus make sure you got enough timber to screw in.. I always bully dave by saying.. "Make a square" (i.e every edge needs a bit of timber to go into). 

Bit annoying we can't be around but this had to happen (It's not a bad time I guess).. Will defo be up there soon.. (Just message me if you need me)..

• Like 1

Just bunging in my penny's worth here, why use Carpet as a lining material?

Now I know this is going to sound like I am extolling the virtues of making a boat some kind of Boudoir - though a red light can be handy for night navigation ;)

People seem to like carpet as it looks nice and and stops condensation forming - it won't do anything as to heat insulation really, but at least is soft to the touch and not a cold surface like Vinyl is.

However, I like the look of Suede - I have seen it online as foam backed too, and because this is faux Suede is not too pricey. It looks  more luxurious than carpet, will do all carpet does but has a far softer more tactile feel to it.

If I was doing this, I would then also have a contrasted section in the roof so if the rest was a deep grey, or blue, have a rectangular panel in a rich purple - this to be suspended about 6 to 10mm lower than the main cabin roof so LED strip lights can be fitted and produce a muted mood light around its perimeter. Far Horizon has used this idea in its forward cabin

To contrast this, you could use crushed Velvet for curtains.