Welcome To The New Broom Section!

JawsOrca

Hello and welcome.. hopefully not my own section :huh: 

As we now own a Broom (as in a boat not a cleaning device.. :facepalm:) I'm reaching out to other Broom owners (hopefully someone out there can help us understand this maze of cables xmas3

Please share away if you own a Broom. 

cheers 

• Like 4

I'll have to watch that later Robin. 

The rebuilt engines were certainly a plus point for it..our engines certainly look very shinny.. There's not many that have been rebuilt (although quite a few alternatives had lots of work and most had low hours) Sadly we've not heard them run yet as we brought her ashore :facepalm:(houseboat first then motor boat and we had a very short deadline being required as a liveaboard). At the moment all 15 seacocks need changing (well they don't but they do in my book) and we are trying to work out why, when using the (complex) shorepower/battery charger/inverter/white box system the alternator warning light is coming on :norty: (Scary stuff!).. She's more work than we hoped but Dave needs something to do in the evenings and he's got his work cut out, also there's no real rush.. as we still have Orca to play with..

Were's the leaking issue though? Anything we need to be aware off? Although it's some weeks before we put her in at this rate.

I'm going to join the Broom owners club as there's bit on here we want to sell, like seats, table and dodgy grp spray dodgers and get on the forum there but it seems to take weeks to join as it's cheques and paperwork. 

• Like 5

There's always things to fix/repair/improve/adapt on any boat, so no worries there. 

The fuel pump on both of my engines have leaked.  One was done a few years ago, the other now needs doing to.  It drips at the base and then fuel flows/creeps to settle at the bottom of the V near the gearbox end.  The other things that seem to go are the turbo gaskets.  Again, one done 4 years ago and one now needs doing.

I think they're lovely engines.  They chug away all day and all night without complaint.  You can recognise them a mile away when throttling up due to the cloud of smoke which calms down quickly.  Kind of like a squid disappearing behind a cloud of ink!

• Like 1

Thanks for that.. That doesn't sound too bad.. one large reason we went with a broom was that the tamb's in alternatives just had alarming reviews.

I'll let Dave know about these bits so he can see. I think all of these are new on ours so should be OK. But once started up we can check out. 

The cheques in the post for the owners club so hopefully we will be members soon.

What boat have you got liberty?

Yes we went for the crown. Number 3.

We looked at a few oceans but we was sold on the interior of the crown; spiral staircase, aft cabin, kitchen layout. 

I offered low on this one and to my surprise they took our offer without hesitation. It was meant to be seaworthy but on survey we found all seacocks are bad/loose and the fuel tanks are empty (aka full of rubbish) so brought her home on a lorry.

The oceans look lovely though, proper boats. 

What fuel economy do you get cruising at sea?

cheers 

• Like 1

Lol.. It's more of a matter of how far we can go compared to affording it.. yes we can't afford £1k weekends but I'd like to run over to France every now and again. At present I've not found any ideas on fuel consumption. Someone said it's about 6gph  (at 10kts) which sounds a bit low to me. But if it is about that then we can use more. I'm planning on topping the tanks up and then having little trips out so we don't run out when we are out but it would be nice to know how long a tank is meant to last.

cheers 

1 hour ago, JawsOrca said:

We looked at a few oceans but we was sold on the interior of the crown; spiral staircase, aft cabin, kitchen layout. 

So us punters on hire boats have galleys, whilst the nobilety have KITCHEN's  on board a Broom! :naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 2

That's correct Iain.. you punters need to be sold a dream, so if you want to call it a galley, feel free, but on ours it looks like a 1970's kitchen... My parents ex-council house had the doors fronts :shocked

In respect of Mr Broom, I think we need a rule in this new section.. Anyone incorrectly referring to Brooms boats will receive 10 warning points.. two guns

• Like 2

I've read somewhere about not having fuel gauges but a flow rate meter for the fuel use.

I just had time for a quick Google and found this: https://www.massflow-online.com/shop/en/fuel-flow-meters-liquid-24/

This would provide a better way to work out consumption but there are probably plenty of other things on market to aid that.

• Like 1

Unproven figures from the Broom Owners Club forum for a Crown.  Obviously props, tidal flow, trim tabs, clean bottom etc will make a huge difference.

(per engine) 1GPH @1200rpm, 2GPH @ 1500rpm 3GPH @ 1800rpm 4.3GPH @ 2000rpm 5.8GPH @ 2200rpm and 7GPH @ 2500RPM

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Liberty said:

Unproven figures from the Broom Owners Club forum for a Crown.  Obviously props, tidal flow, trim tabs, clean bottom etc will make a huge difference.

(per engine) 1GPH @1200rpm, 2GPH @ 1500rpm 3GPH @ 1800rpm 4.3GPH @ 2000rpm 5.8GPH @ 2200rpm and 7GPH @ 2500RPM

Wow thanks for that. That's much better than the VP's then.. Cool.. we will hopefully get a bit of cruising done then :)

cheers

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Urm can I have that 'metricated' please. At the moment, we are in Europe ;)

No... This is the British isles we are not in europe.. we are in europe purely for economic reasons (and I'm voting "In") :norty:

It's the equivalent of drinking a pint... do you really want to order a "568.261ml" instead of a pint??

(Plus it's sounds less in gallons lol)..  

• Like 7