Worth It, Or Not

Been considering some form of heating in the boat, for when I do my winter fishing, and have opted for the Eberspacher system, but, and it is a big but, will it really be worth the expence for the sake of a few weekends probably,throughout the winter months, or would it be better to invest in a few more jumpers.

Baz

baz! these heaters are ace but can be expensive,

are you thinking of new, if not there is place on the broads that do refurbished units and comes complete

with thermostat , control box, exhaust, the lot, just to fit in.

bought one myself 4 years ago and no problems

just read a thread on nbf about noise etc from running this type heater, but it's nice to be warm

it's only noisy on the outside but not excessive

alan

Petremela ( Pete ) has a rather nice heating system on his boat.

He fired it up for me to try out and Yes They are worth it in Gold :)

Easy to install and very economical

I would recommend to PM Pete for info as his kit was installed by himself and a Pro Job also :)

You will never regret it Baz, but if you're only going to use it occasionaly then make sure you run it at full chat for an hour or so before shutting it down or it will coke up prematurely, lag the exhaist and fit a silencer something most installations do not have, they really reduce the noise so then it will not be to obtrusive

Couldn't agree more Dave, the water boiler ebos & webos are great, but small cruisers are not like narrowboats when it comes to wall space for rads, you can get a matrix to convert the water to hot air just like your car and have the advantage of hot water from the calorifier without running the engine. The matrix also uses the engine heat when uder way so FREE heating (now there's a word you don't often see in a post about boating).

I have one in still in a box waiting to be fitted just to provide constant hot water and a heated towel rail, I think I may then remove the AT2000 and install a matrix for the hot air at a later date. :D

That's the kiddie Ian, should keep Tamara toasty and provide all the hot water you need, seems good value too, would you use a matrix or do you have room for rads?

One point, 4200 is a lot of power when you consider the cabin volume of a classic yacht and it may be a bit too toasty and you could have difficulty keeping the heat level down to comfortable without the risk of coking the burner, possibly parafin as a fuel would reduce that risk.

I think we will go for a matrix.

Before we go for it I am going to check with Tamara's doctor to see if will cause problems with her wood interior/hull. I would like to tuck the exhuast under the overhang of the hull rather than in the transom. This will be underwater while sailing but at that point the heater would not be in use.

Ian

I don't think a little submersion of the outlet would be an issue whilst the heater was running Ian as the exhaust gases would keep the water out as they have quite a pressure. When not running I would think a little more care should be taken and possibly advice saught direct from webasto as water may get into the heater via the exhaust, possibly an over centre lever type garboard bung in the exhaust when under way and heeled??

Hiya Antares 9,

Not a problem at all, I've found the answers to be really helpful to be honest, and would love to find the name and number of the Broads gentleman who sells them second hand.

Many thanks all, for the precise answers, really appreciated.

Baz

Just catching up on these threads after coming back from the boat, unfortunatly the old webasto on mine is on its last legs, decided last night to order a new Mikuni, ouch! going back to boat on monday to rip old one out ready for the new one, will fit it myself so will let you know how i get on when it's fitted.