Gas Fridge

Guest cygnet

Guest cygnet

I am seriously considering changing my 12v fridge for a gas alternative.(12v is painful if you are not on the move)

Can any one recommend where to get one at the right money?

Do I need someone to install it for me ? Or can I do it myself.

Where can I get advise on flue needs and other safety requirments?

Experience of any good makes would be good.

I have a diesel inboard and my current fridge is 100ltr 821mm high (appx 500 wide and 500 deep)

Could anyone please help.

Someone else can probably advise you technically, though I suspect the answer to the "can I install myself" bit is definitely no, at least not without getting a Corgi registered (sorry, Gas Safe) engineer to certify it for you. And not just any old Corgi bod, a BSS qualified one too, otherwise you might have trouble when your next certificate is due.

But personally I'd rather have no fridge than a gas fridge. LPG is probably the most dangerous thing there is on a boat and I'd like to keep its use to the absolute minimum possible. Not sure why the big deal with 12v fridges - on my last boat once I finally had some decent wiring run between it and the distribution point I never looked back.

All the information you require about installing a gas fridge from a boat safety perspective is available online from the Broads Authority's web site.

I have just installed a gas cooker from scratch and will have Maycraft (Potter Heigham) certify my work. Interstingly, I have also installed a new fridge, but went the 12v Waeco route. I have dedicated a leisure battery just for the fridge. I'll let you know how it works in practice, but the trial run was very impressive. It's not quite as quiet as I expected - a small fan circulates air round the compressor seemingly non-stop. I shall be looking to install a mechanical timer to shut off the fridge at night.

Hi Cygnet

I may have this wrong, and I'm sure I'll be corrected if so, but I was under the impression that you could no longer install gas fridges on boats. If the boat already has one, that's fine, but once it is removed only an electic one can be replaced.

We fitted an Isotherm when we revamped our boat and are very pleased with it's performance, and I am sure it is much more efficient than the gas alternative we previously had. Despite the hot, humid weather this weekend, we still managed to have it turned up too high and froze the lettuce an cucumber! We have 2x110Ah domestic batteries and have never flattened them so as long as you are sensible with engine running times.

Hi Cygnet

I to would avoid gas fridges at all cost. We also have an Isotherm 12 volt fridge. As does Mark we run with 2x110Ah deep cycle domestic batteries and have never had a problem. Even on the lowest setting we still have plenty of ice for Lou's G&T's. cheers

From memory the Isotherm fridges run with a current draw around one amp, so unless you have batteries in poor condition or low capacity you should never have a problem.

Mark, don't quote me but I believe gas fridges have only been disallowed on petrol engined boats.

cheersbar

Hi Mark

I think you are absolutely correct.I actually asked Kevin at Sutton Staithe Boatyard who is a registered Corgi Gas Fitter that if I was not happy with the Electric Fridge they fitted for me could I revert back to gas & he said that he was not now allowed to put a Gas Fridge back into a boat once an Electric Fridge was in place.Furthermore only Electric Fridges can be fitted to new build boats.

Alan

:band

• 1 year later...
There is no problem of using a gas fridge as long as you installed it properly. The installation is not easy so it is better if you find a person to install it. Anyway, I am also running a gas fridge in my boat.

The gas regulations are obviously different in Manilla then, take care. :naughty::naughty::norty:

There is a growing recognition of the risks associated with the use of non

room-sealed gas appliances when used in confined spaces such as boats.

These risks include poisoning and suffocation to individuals on board from

improperly flued and ventilated appliances. So new LPG appliances must be

room sealed, except where room-sealing is not physically possible, i.e. cooking

appliances.

There is one specific exception to this rule and this is for LPG instantaneous

water heaters. Based on the good previous safety record of these particular

appliances, and until such a time as a room-sealed direct replacement becomes

easily available, British Waterways and the Environment Agency accept the

continued installation of instantaneous water heaters on private boats. If you

are changing your non-room sealed instantaneous water heater it's strongly

recommended that you consider room sealed alternatives

Nothing wrong with gas fridges....but you must ventilate properly in regards to existing open flamed appliances, these SHOULD have a flue to outside to be completly safe, and be upgraded with an auto matic flame detection ,approved by the manufacturer,and fitted or approved by a lpg gas safe registered engineer(cheaper to buy new)

:wave