Belmore | The Big Tour

LondonRascal

Day Five (Part one)

Watch part one of day five of the Captain's Blog:

It began early, before 6:00am when I got up to move the boat from the Yacht Station up to Oulton Dyke - the reason mainly as since the office was closed on arrival the evening before, I wanted to 'escape' before anyone opened up for the day and charged me for my evenings mooring.  The bonus was a lovely still morning over the Broad as I set sail - thinking I was capturing this all on camera, I found when I brought it back in from the roof it had captured about 3 minutes and died - I really should charge things the evening before!

I arrived at Oulton Dyke and decided to opt for the pontoon mooring and came in nice and quiet to avoid disturbing those moored along the bank and clearly still in their berths sleeping. Tied up it was time to get back in my own berth and do something rather rare - have a lay in - which I felt ok with since the long journey I had undertaken the day before from Wroxham without stopping.

Now close on 11:00am I was refreshed and ready for a new day - but where to go?  I had no idea in fact I had not checked what the tides were doing, and instead just untied and headed down the Waveney deciding to work out a destination on the hoof. When I reached the fork that takes you down to the Waveney River Centre and further on to Beccles, I carried on - so it ruled those places out and instead would head for Reedham on the Yare, via the New Cut.

It was approaching the New Cut I thought of what I might like to eat later for dinner - and soon found I liked the idea of a pub meal cooked for me than making  do with bits left on the boat before I could stock back up but that left the question what pub? There could only be one choice for me - good food, Ale and atmosphere the Ferry House at Surlingham.

This of course is well on the way to Norwich and I was just on the New Cut heading towards Reedham by now it was afternoon and I did not really know how long this cruise may end up taking, not to mention I had it on my mind that tomorrow I would be leaving the southern rivers and heading back north.  I checked the tide times and found it very favourable, late afternoon so Surlingham would be ideal and without any need for a super early start.  

The day was just glorious, blue skies with beautiful white puffy clouds not much in the way of wind and a temperature that just kept getting higher.  Even the usually mundane straight New Cut was pleasant and turning left at the end and passing under Reedham Railway Bridge made me wonder if I should stop at Reedham - the quayside almost devoid of other boats and looking very welcoming - but no, I would carry on and enjoy the cursing while the weather was good - by now the sunroof was open and I planned to take in some other sights along the way - Rockland Broad for one and Bargate when we arrived in Brundall too - but that is still to come in part two of day five's adventure.

• Like 5

Day Five (Part two)

Watch part two of day five of the Captain's Blog:

So on with part two of the fifth day as I continue the cruise from Oulton Broad to the Ferry House at Surlingham.

Now, if you were a teenager in the 1990's there is some music you will recognise - rather iconic in the club scene of the day, but for those older folks watching you will likely want to hit the mute button lol.  Whatever your taste in music, I was treated to some amazing weather - bright sunshine, blue skies and big fluffy white clouds hanging over the beautiful riverscape that the Yare provides.

It is days like this when you are cruising along that time really means so little, and the miles ebb away and new delights are to be seen and in about half an hour of cruising I had passed just one boat - how very different these rivers are to the northern ones. 

The sugar beet factory at Cantley grew ever closer, and I have to say I rather like it - a 'cathedral' of industry and full of stuff that at this time of year is quiet and you wonder what does this pipe do or that, yet come in the winter and its chimney will be churning steam high into the air  to be seen for miles around.

With Cantley behind us the next place of interest to come up was Rockland Broad - and I cannot pass up on a trip to see it and pass back out to the main river.  Having only discovered Rockland in 2013 when I was onboard Mystic Horizon, I have never found it to be quite as idyllic and calm as when I first cruised over its waters -even the light was just perfect. (Video of this here)

Now in 2016 on a bright day with the tide in (but as I found rapidly heading out towards Yarmouth) it seemed a little less serene and secretive to me but none the less a very beautiful part of the world.  I pondered how it may be if the Broad were to be extensively dredged and boats could explore it all and mud weight overnight...

Soon back on to the mighty Yare we continued on and doing very good so far as time was concerned despite not pushing the revs and going against the tide to my mind this trip which I feared would be long and leave me feeling a little less fresh was not that bad at all, and we had past several places that many a hirer would stop at - Reedham and the moorings at Cantley or Rockland so this did not need to be an unbroken long cruise by any means showing that the places one can visit 'down south' may be a little more spaced apart but none the less one can do a great deal in a half a day.

With Brundall now not too far away I knew that the Ferry House at Surlingaham would likewise not be a great distance - but before we got there it was time for a quick 'in and out' of Bargate (otherwise known or referred to as Surlingham Broad) .  It was as ever it has been, almost like you have found a small lake at the end of a secret garden and very beautiful too with a couple of boas quietly on their mud weight.

Back to the main river, past Brooms it was time to get things ready for the mooring - ropes to hand, lifejacket on, doors open and plan underway as to what to do when I came to moor.  As I approached the moorings outside the pub, a section was taped off, so I cruised past to find where usually one stern moors, a couple of boats had moored side on.  However, the tape I took to me 'stay away' actually had a sign attached 'moor at your own risk' so I backed up and moored at my own risk.

A group of chaps were having some drinks having hired from Freedom, and as I came into moor and leapt of the boat a combination of my weight and the super soft boggy grass saw me hit the ground with a great 'splat' and my feet were now 3 inches into the mud and my previously white trainers anything but.  One of the guys came over and I passed him the bow line.  Note: if someone else takes your ropes and ties them, do make sure after they are actually tied to a post.

Once that was done one of the party spotted my sig 'Naughty Rascal On Board' and much laughter was had - a decent group of lads having a good time and ripping up any stereotypes these 'all male crews' may be tarnished with.

You can watch part 2 of the Captains blog above, and tomorrow part 3 will finish this fifth day off as far as the video goes before the next stage of the tour begins on day 6.

• Like 4

Hi Robin. 

I have seen every blog you have ever done, and I love them all.  I love your boat reviews and your tales of your adventures on the rivers.

Waiting for the next one. 

I hope to meet the Rascal on the river one day and when I do, I wold like to buy you a drink and have a good chin wag.

Take care Robin.

I will keep in  touch.

6 hours ago, Boatyman said:

Hi Robin. 

I have seen every blog you have ever done, and I love them all.  I love your boat reviews and your tales of your adventures on the rivers.

Waiting for the next one. 

I hope to meet the Rascal on the river one day and when I do, I wold like to buy you a drink and have a good chin wag.

Take care Robin.

I will keep in  touch.

Welcome to the forum boatyman fron me and the Wench (some call her Inge) I met Robin for the first time at the spring meet, a very nice guy indeed,

Charlie

Haha I know. I've seen Broad Ambition b4 when I've been on the Broads. 

I'm there from August 1st, I'm trying to get there on June 10th for 2  nights with my partner and our dog. Just trying to find if I can hire a cruiser at a reasonable price as most of the main companies charge ridiculous amounts just for 2 nights. 

No Griff,  I don't remember the Big Blue Fender.

If I see you when I'm there in August I'll say hi. You can't forget a name like Boatyman.

I tried other names but apparently they were all taken so in a funny frustrating way I just put this name in and it was accepted, so I thought I'll keep it.

I understand you have the Rascal joining you this afternoon till Monday.

I hope to meet him and yourself as I have watched all his adventures on the water including on BA. 

Say hi to him and have  great weekend.

Wish I was there, I miss the Broads so much. I absolutely love it.

I'll keep in touch if you don't mind, and please message me whenever.

Take care Griff. 

Boatyman AKA Andy.

AKA Andy - The Rascal ain't joining me this afternoon, not unless he is coming up here to Yorkshire and assisting me tile kitchen walls.  The Rascal is due onboard 'B.A' as skipper with crew of his choice today for the weekend.  There are four custodians of 'B.A' The Rascal became one of those custodians last year.  Re meeting you afloat the dates you are there don't co-inside with mine as things stand.  Hope this helps.

Griff

But will there be a row of camera laden twitchers across from the entrance of the wet shed to see Robin not only leave the nest but checking on any additional or forgotten plumage accompanying him?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

AKA Andy - The Rascal ain't joining me this afternoon, not unless he is coming up here to Yorkshire and assisting me tile kitchen walls.  The Rascal is due onboard 'B.A' as skipper with crew of his choice today for the weekend.  There are four custodians of 'B.A' The Rascal became one of those custodians last year.  Re meeting you afloat the dates you are there don't co-inside with mine as things stand.  Hope this helps.

Griff

Hey Griff are you ever down on the southern broads at all,  as Me and her indoors on there from the 3rd of September ⚓️

Hi Griff 

Well I am hoping to get on the Broads more often, may b the Rascal might choose me to help him on BA haha. I have been on the Broads many times, just sometimes the pricing of the hire companies is very expensive,  butI'll just have to work harder I expect haha.

Anyway Griff, enjoy your tiling,

I'm wanting to get on the Broads for the NBN meeting in July, 

Will you and the Rascal be attending? 

Think it's a Oulton yaught station. 

9 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Yep now and again, next weekend as it happens

Griff

Best lock up our daughters and granddaughters away from the Bonking Ambition then!

Boatyman, prices for boats can be eye wateringly high, especially in July. Perhaps the Broads Holiday Village at Oulton Broad could provide you with a really nice base for the NBN meeting. A tent in my backgarden is another option, that won't cost you a penny but I'm afraid that it's not quite in the same comfort league and it's a mile's pleasant walk to the Yacht Station!

• 2 weeks later...

Day Six (Part one)

Watch part one of day six of the Captain's Blog:

And so after some time we are ‘back on course’ and the Captains Blog continues, now onto the sixth day.  What you don’t see in the Blog is the fact I woke up at about 5:30am at a very odd angle, and knew exactly what the problem was as I lay in my berth looking up at the cabin roof – we are stuck on the bank as the tide fell beneath the boat’.

I dreaded this happening, in fact I even removed a fender from the boat, tied the end to the ring of a Rhonde Anchor and thus secured the fender between the quay heading and the boat to ensure the side of the boat would stay away from the heading as the tide dropped. 

I got out of my berth, and the first thing was a trip to the loo – this is on the starboard side of the boat and here comes a bonus of being a ‘large lad’ for clearly the boat was only on the quay by a whisker resting on the lower rubbing strake – a light boat and a heavy Rascal meant it ‘gave way’ and slipped off – rather a spectacular thing to happen when you’re in the smallest room and there is a sudden enormous yaw movement, massive splash and boat rocks like you wouldn’t believe.  Think of standing up in a toilet on a moving train, while at the same time being launched in a life boat – none the less I can say in the politest manner, the target was not missed so far as the stream was concerned so no clean up was needed.

Well once that was sorted I thought I would come out to the aft of the boat and notices to my surprise how much frost there was – a lovely slight mist and a very peaceful morning.  I went back to bed.

Some hours later I emerged and got ready, but I seemed to be suffering from the well known issue of being on the Norfolk Broads that affects many – you seem to at some point loose the ‘get up and go’ and want to just be lazy and let time be forgotten without rush.  I still have the option to return to the northern rivers, a late 16:00 low water at Yarmouth or I could stay south and stock up in Norwich with provisions – I decided to head into Norwich.

And that is where this, part 1 of 2 of the sixth day of the Captain’s Blog takes us, in part two we head to Loddon.

• Like 3

I'm still enjoying these Robin, I watched your latest this evening with my son who's really getting in to them as well. In fact his first words today when he arrived home from work were "Good news! There's a new episode of the Captains Blog!". You taught me something new - I didn't know about the former Norwich power station.