Tales From The South Side...... The Return

I awoke on Wednesday to see something bright glowing in the sky, was it a UFO ?.... Oh no it's the sun, didn't think we were going to see it this week, the wind had dropped as well and although still cold it had the makings of a pleasant day....... Don't you feel better when the sun comes out?

Decision made Loddon today.

We saw very little on the river on the trip, it was bright & sunny and really pleasant. We didn't meet anything on the Chet until we were almost at Pyes Mill moorings where 2 boats came out. We could see that there was room in the basin with only 2 boats in (one being Ranworth Breeze) 

We noticed someone kindly waiting to take our ropes and it turned out to be Phil from RB. After a chat we headed out for a bit of shopping before making a salad for lunch.

More chilling after lunch and a wander up into the village.

Ranworth Breeze left and Lightning arrived and I had a chat with the couple on board. Didn't get their names but hi if you happen to read this, it was nice to talk to you.

After a much nicer day we had a walk up to the Angel before returning to the boat.

The fresh air certainly makes you tired.

• Like 3

Thursday began as a much warmer and brighter morning with blue sky and a spring like feel (at last) 

After breakfast and a walk to the co op for fresh supplies it was time to set off, the destination for today was Somerlayton.

It was nice to be able to use the upper helm without a heavy coat and gloves. The cruise down the Chet was idilic in the sunshine.

We were treated to a low fly past from a marsh harrier that flew right across the boat, so low that we could actually see the markings on it's back. Luckily Peter was filming at the time.

The fine weather brought out so much bird life along the Chet, I couldn't say what they all were but it was a pleasure to see them.

We stopped at Reedham for lunch and a wander along the quay before setting off again for Somerlayton.

The cloud was building up as we left Reedham and the wind was starting to pick up again oh well Spring was nice while it lasted.

By evening it was really windy again.

Can't believe it's Thursday already, where has the week gone?

frame-000147.jpg

• Like 7

After a blustery night we get up on Friday to a bright but windy morning, last day today so the final destination will be Brundall and the boatyard. 

We always spend the last night back at the boatyard these days so we can get an early start the following morning. I know a lot of people say it's a waste spending the night at the yard but it suits our needs with mum being 85.

It's also easier for mum to get herself sorted for the journey home.

Before the return, however we like to have a good cruise so decide to set off & see how close to Norwich we get before turning and heading back.

The day stays bright & breezy and we have the tide with us until we get through the New Cut but once through we are for the first time this week punching the tide.

Shortly after Reedham Ferry I notice a familiar looking blue boat ahead and after inspection through the binoculars realise it's Braveheart on a leisurely cruise towards Brundall.

We catch up and for a while have a CIC ( although Alex & Lorna I believe it is have no idea who we are)

We pass & exchange waves & I try to gesture to the NBN Burgee on our pulpit rail ( but they probably just thought I was another nutter) as we head on towards Bramerton to stop for lunch.

We decide to carry on after lunch up past Thorpe before turning and returning via Surlingham Broad to our home mooring and start the dreaded packing and cleaning.

Colin said he'd fill us up and instead of having to wait until Saturday morning. (although he & Lesley were in before we left.)

We were expecting to have to pay extra for fuel because of having to use the heating quite a bit but were very surprised to get £45.00 back from our £150 fuel deposit ...... Ten pounds more than last year on the same boat.

Just shows what a difference it makes having the tides on your side.

And there we have it, another great week on the Broads, once again different but just as enjoyable, shame it wasn’t a great week for photography but you pay your money & take your chance.

We set off around 8am on the Saturday morning and have another good journey getting home in around 5 hours…….. Roll on September

Braveheart.jpg

• Like 7

David that is a different Braveheart which is owned by a guy called John who is a member of the NBF. He is actually on his way to his new mooring which I believe is at Swancraft Brundall having just vacated his mooring opposite to where we moor at Sutton Staithe.Alex & Lorna do as you rightly say own the other Braveheart which moors at Ludham Bridge.

Thanks for a great blog

BOYCEE

:clap

• Like 3

Hi David,

Yes indeed that was us, Jo & John, on the way to the new moorings at Swancraft yard. Which is now all private moorings since they packed up the hire boats. Pretty sure we return the waves, though I was probably getting a bit wound up at the thought of the first mooring in a new bay next to a rather smart Shoreline with that wind blowing us sideways on to it! As it transpired we moor really well, why is it that when you get it just right there's no one around watching.

Nice photo of  Braveheart by the way, perhaps you could send me a full size file copy if you wouldn't mind.

I do also monitor and post here on NBN as quite a few friends move over here awhile back and now fly both flags on Braveheart.

John.

• Like 3

Hi John

you certainly did return the waves, the picture is a capture from a go pro video but it's 1080p so I Should be able to make a decent sized image for you, I'll do it tomorrow for you.

I had a similar experience when returning our boat to Silverline, right next to Swancraft, our mooring space is very tight and the river very narrow but I managed a near perfect mooring in that wind and like you there was no one around to see it.

nice looking boat you have there.

• Like 1

Enjoyed reading about your time out on the southern rivers David. We're staying north this year so I'm missing all those lovely places you described.

Always interesting to read how the old Swancraft yard is getting on as well John. I know we would have hired there again this year if we could have done.

• Like 2

Hi,

SwanR, I imagine it looks very different to when it was a hire yard! There are still quite a few mooring plots available should anyone want one!

There is also a nice mooring at Sutton Staithe vacant if you get in touch with Robert at the boatyard there! Very reasonable it is to!

deebee29, thank you for the link and yes we think Braveheart is indeed a boy of much character, reminded us both of our much love Hardy 'Joshua',  some boats just have that look about them.

John.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

Always interesting to read how the old Swancraft yard is getting on as well John. I know we would have hired there again this year if we could have done.

Us as well Jean! Sadly missed. Hopefully when Mrs Nog is up and about again we'll pop in and pay Paul a visit cheersbar

• Like 1