Teak Cockpit Sealing

Hello 'o' wise ones.

The cockpit floor on Zimbi is teak and holly, now looking a bit grubby and I intend to sand it back a bit.

Then I want to seal it, considering the engine/batteries are below I do not want to use anything that requires copious amounts of water to rinse

down. I don't really want to varnish thus risking it getting slippy when wet.

What do you suggest?

Something quick drying would be nice.

paul

Wow, that is a good price to say the least!!!!!!:shocked

Providing you don't mind wiping it over again each season Teak oil is also good, both teak and Danish oil are cheap as chips, I like the smell of the Danish oil to.

• Like 1

Paul,

Most of the people i know use Semco cleaner and sealer on their teak decks - it's not an oil and dries quite quickly.

The cleaner does require a bit of water though to rinse it down as it is an acid and alkali.

Not sure how bad your teak is but sanding down sounds extreme - these cleaners will remove a lot if not all of the muck if it's just dirty?

there are some you tube vids on using it if your interested? it's not cheap and the first use of the sealer might take a bit, but if you do it twice a year it keeps it looking nice and you done need to use the cleaner all the time.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/271777392025?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=9044965&poi=&campaignid=207297426&device=c&adgroupid=13585920426&rlsatarget=pla-131843267826&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=122

Hi Mark,

I think we have used the two part cleaner & restorer in the past, i certainly got the dirt out of the teak. As you say you have to use water.

In our case this only involved the aft steps and the bathing platform so the use of plenty of water was not an issue.

Regards

Alan

Alan,

My cockpit has been done as well and no problems, but any water in there easily drains out so doesn't get into the main cabin or engine bay. I'm sure you have seen us as we are just up the pontoon from you. Waiting for the teak to be sealed soon so it's ready for the season. I also have it done again around Oct time to protect it through the winter.

The sealer is really easy to use as well. Went on the new teak cockpit table.

Alan,

No I didn't, but I did see your post on here. I have a couple of pieces that could do with renewing as well if you fancy having a go?:dance

I did actually toy with the idea of replacing the lot with the plastic stuff which I have to say looks quite good despite what it is. have seen it on a few boats and hard to tell it's not real until you touch it.

Just an update I spent a full day, chemically cleaning and then sanding before sealing the surface.

I'm not fully happy with It ( I never am ) so when Jill has seen it

I may clean it again then apply a light stain before sealing it.

Will leave it for you to decide before and after.

paul

20160523_064852.jpg

20160523_151605.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

It certainly looks better, if you are not happy you could use a scraper or use a plane blade to scrape the surface, you will have to go with the grain. I tend to use various grades of wire-wool when I am working on hardwood, but clean off with meths or white spirit if you prefer.

If the stain looks too dark after application wipe over with meths to lighten it.

More pictures please when you have finished,

Regards

Alan 

Hi Paul,

Doesn't look bad to me. You should be pleased with yourself. Mind you those shoes need a clean mate:dance

Did you use a sealer with a stain or the clear sealer? I use the clear stuff as we like the natural colour, but having seen some that have used one with a stain in, they also look very good - and probably help cover up any minor blemishes. Might have to start using that myslef soon.

Mine has just been done so will get a picture of it tomorrow if I can keep it clean overnight!!

Hi Baitrunner,

I used the three stages of Starbrite the last stage a clear sealer.

The shoes also were treated with the same plus some sanding dust well rubbed in (they should last a few years now).

The original must have been stained to cover some bad scratches hence why I may redo it with a light stain sealer.

Alan, I don't think the veneer is thick enough to try a scrapper but I think I will use Starbrite 1 & 2 then mix some stain into the sealer coat, will practise first on a small patch first.

As a bonus I discovered the starter battery had lost a cell, luckily Mark (Ignition Marine) was around and he had a new ready to fit.

Boat owning is SO cheap!!!!!!!

paul

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

just had my deck cleaned and sealed. Picture as promised. 

Your shoes should be well smart now. Proper deck shoes:naughty:

I might put a 3rd coat on my swim platform as it seems to have gone a bit patchy. First time this has happened to be honest. You can't beat the look of a nice bit of teak decking though . 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Mark, I think you need more practice suggest you try it on Zimbi.

That looks really  good.

Zimbi is 25 years old and it must have had some hard years.

I did find in America some teak and holly effect carpet  ??

We are down next week so may have another go before venturing to the dark north side.

paul

Sorry Alan I don't. 

It wasn't too bad this year as it spent 2 months over the winter in a shed. And has been cleaned. 

It was very light though with the typical silver colour it goes. 

I think it really helped as I had it sealed before the winter as well so it must help keep it clean. 

Paul- a little secret. I paid a man to do mine. Trying to get dry consecutive days on the boat is virtually impossible for me and weekends are play time!!

• Like 1