Fitting a bow roller

Good sharp HSS bit is fine Andy, drill the holes a couple of sizes up from the bolts and countersink slightly the holes to allow the sealant to fill the gap and seal the bolt holes better. Whilst you're at it countersink the underside of the roller holes slightly, make sure you put a good backing plate on the underside too. If you find the deck is "cored" when you drill then open the outer part with a good hole saw (one or tiles is best on Gelcoat) and fill with epoxy then after it has cured re drill.

BTW you can be sure of a chip free perfect hole using a diamond powder tipped drill but you need to ask if it’s worth it as you are going to cover it in Sikaflex and a bow roller.

Some Decks (in fact some hulls) are constructed as a sandwich of GRP and another material which can be foam, balsa, ply etc. these are strong enough and reduce weight. Strong enough except in one area, compression, (ply aside) this means that putting bolts through and winding them up can crush it and cause cracking, a large surface area inside and outside can help in this respect as can filling the core with epoxy resin using the method I described. IF it is foam the job can be enhanced further by raking some of the foam out.

Andy,

Is that an Alpha 32 dual steer I see there? they were always our favourite boat when we hired, loads of roon, handle great and look and feel like a real boat.

You will probably find that your layup is either solid or thick ply so hopefully there will be no need for backfilling.

Good luck. Ian

Andy,

Is that an Alpha 32 dual steer I see there? they were always our favourite boat when we hired, loads of roon, handle great and look and feel like a real boat.

You will probably find that your layup is either solid or thick ply so hopefully there will be no need for backfilling.

Good luck. Ian

I wish it was,no its a ocean 30 Ian

cheers

Andy

From what ive seen of the underside of where iam drilling looks like its not cored as there are other bolts coming through so should be ok,but thanks for your good advice as usual ! :clap

Andy

If there is a plywood pad to spread weight it may be worth doing the same, the easy way to see if it is cored is by how far the drill bit has to travel.

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted the bow roller last weekend (bank holiday weekend) easy peasy only took me an the lad 1 hour to do

sorry to all those moored at fleet dyke last saturday as there was a fair bit of huffing and chuffing when i got my head stuck in forrard locker underneath the bow area where we fitted the bow roller

cheers

Andy