Friday Girl's August Wanderings

Hockham Admiral

I'm virtually a novice at this and I've yet to work out how to edit these short vids. I've got a couple of "How not to do this vids" but I need to edit out my explicative! Anyone help, please?

Here's a sample as we arrived at Womach Staithe a week ago.

Edited by Hockham Admiral
Tempus Fugit
  • Like 9

On 26/05/2016 at 6:00 PM, SwanR said:

Lovely video of Womack Water. Wroxham Bridge looked quite tight to the untrained eye ... I'm sure you all know what you're doing. :)

That was just under 6ft 6ins on the gauge, Jean. I have been under at 6ft 3ins but wouldn't do it again!

When we bought Friday Girl she was placarded as 6ft 11ins air height and not to go under below 7ft but I think that was to dissuade hirer's from going under Wroxham Bridge!    We gradually went under at lower heights each time after Rod (Sally B ) told us that he'd taken his under at 6ft 6ins and she's the same boat as ours.     :wave

• Like 1

Saturday, 21st May

We spent a couple of lazy days in hot sunshine at Womach Staithe and set off for Acle Bridge last Saturday morning.

Going down the Thurne we came across to yachts tacking back and forth into the quite strong sou'westerly. I passed the first one much as I would have done when racing 470 dinghies many years ago!

• Like 4

We finally arrived at Acle Bridge to find Paul's Morning Swan and an offshore breeze.

Towards the end, as Friday Girl starts to drift away from the bank, I was ashore with both forward and aft lines in my hands. The gent in the hire boat did then kindly help me to tie up!

• Like 4

Sunday, 22nd May (several more just posted on 1st page)

When my alarm went off at 04.00 a week ago, on the Sunday morning, I had already been awake for an hour or so and it was the beginnings of a lovely fine day.......... when I left at 04.35, things had deteriorated somewhat! 

The offshore wind had picked up and it was pouring down. Friday Girl was pointing downstream in a strong ebbing tide and when I'd released the bow spring and the stern port line I only had the stern spring to release. Friday Girl's  bow had by now drifted well out into the stream and I was momentarily worried in case I slipped and let Mary-Jane loose alone. (and asleep!).

The joys of solo helming when there's no-one else awake to help!   :shocked

• Like 4