Friday Girl's August Wanderings

Hockham Admiral

17 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

No problem John.

Paul, we will be heading down your way from 27th until 31st June.

Are you about then?

Hi Bill, unfortunately we're heading the other way from home then, Scotland.

May be around end July or middle of August.

Paul.:wave

13 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Going through Yarmouth is, as John shows it, all so easy so why do folk get it wrong? 

Because newbies read all the stuff posted on forums, and are scared before they weven leave their homes. So when said folk try going through their heads is he said this he said that oh no she said etc etc ............ so in a way forums are the coarse.... I have crossed since before forums when you read your instructions from boat yard.... you made it safe n sound no problems ....  now it is info overload thanks to web

charlie

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Ooh, so that's the yellow post you're supposed to go round, is it? :naughty: Seriously, lovely little clips, John, absolutely loved them, thank you for taking the time to post them up :clap

Grace :kiss

Thank you, Grace.

I had hoped that you'd like the "Flappy" ones! (Mary-Jane and I have taken to calling sailing boats that now, so you have a lot to answer for!)   :wave

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

Because newbies read all the stuff posted on forums, and are scared before they weven leave their homes. So when said folk try going through their heads is he said this he said that oh no she said etc etc ............ so in a way forums are the coarse.... I have crossed since before forums when you read your instructions from boat yard.... you made it safe n sound no problems ....  now it is info overload thanks to web

charlie

Hi Charlie,

Can there be such a thing as overload of knowledge?

I believe that new boat users be they hirers or  owners fall into two categories people who ask questions or heed advice and research before their first outing and then there is the gung ho I just give it a go and see what happens.

Regards

Alan

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Charlie,

Can there be such a thing as overload of knowledge?

I believe that new boat users be they hirers or  owners fall into two categories people who ask questions or heed advice and research before their first outing and then there is the gung ho I just give it a go and see what happens.

Regards

Alan

Hello Alan

I didnt say knowledge overload, I said info overload..... a huge difference in my book.... Knowledge you learn by doing some thing. Info is a lot of people saying conflicting things, and to much of this soon builds up into a huge over load. In the end that makes them then go just do it their own way.

Regards

Charlie. 

• Like 2

Thank you, David.

My next clip was taken a week ago today, we've just left Oulton Broad and it's early again.

First I need to explain that I have two navigation pages on my tablet, one giving a map and the other navigation data.

The map page has a facility for showing your track gone; here it is for the Brundall to Acle leg before the Meet.

IMG_7777.JPG

Then I have the data page:

IMG_7888.JPG

I've had a few near misses playing with these and Mary-Jane has called out on quite a few occasions! The next clip, at 07.17hrs, was going down the Oulton Dyke and I've had to superimpose music because I haven't been able to edit out my exclamation when I looked up.......

So we can and do all make mistakes... hopefully we and others can learn from them!   :shocked

• Like 6

We finally arrived back at Brundall and home to Friday Girl's moorings at Bells marina.

Our mooring is just to the right of the cruiser with the red aft canopy at 2 minutes.

In a crosswind it can be interesting!    :shocked

And that's it folks. Next time I'll be mounting the camera entirely differently to try to get better shots. And I've worked out how to get longer clips if I need them.   :wave

• Like 6

Fabulous clips John, i`ve been sitting here watching them. I like the one of you passing what looks like a Hunters yacht down the Thurne, nicely done i must say. Whenever i come up to a yacht that is tacking , i often blow the horn, and point either side to ask the skipper which side to pass?. It`s polite, and costs nothing, so we can pass without incident.

I also like the early morning clips, it really does show the rivers at their best, flat calm and like a mirror.

13 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi John,

Thank you for posting the clips, I can only echo the comments by the other forum members.

Only one criticism, swap over your burgees or film from the starboard side so we can see a little of the NBN burgee:naughty:

Regards

Alan

I've got that in mind, Alan! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2016 at 5:59 PM, BroadScot said:

Hi John,

It has been a delight to watch all the clips, thank you for taking the time to set them up and let us see our favourite places!

cheersIain

I couldn't agree more. A wonderful write-up. Thanks.

• Like 1