Nbn Meets, 2017

Limited availability by now Vaughan I fear. I'm looking at September 2018 and there are bookings then already. I recall John saying the meets would always be 3rd weekend in May, July and September which is really useful to know. It would to be good to know the venue though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the Autumn meet will be "out" for us I am afraid, as Richardsons are almost fully booked.

I am very glad they are having a good season! We obviously should have booked when we came off the last boat, in May.

We have found a boat (quite a nice one actually) but only for the week 9th to 16th September. So we may be able to look in on the Friday evening, depending on where it is, which we don't know yet.

Meantime we shall be on the Broads that week, mainly down south, and will look forward to meeting up with anyone in the area, for a glass or two of Minervois rosé!

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Well, the Autumn meet will be "out" for us I am afraid, as Richardsons are almost fully booked.

I am very glad they are having a good season! We obviously should have booked when we came off the last boat, in May.

We have found a boat (quite a nice one actually) but only for the week 9th to 16th September. So we may be able to look in on the Friday evening, depending on where it is, which we don't know yet.

Meantime we shall be on the Broads that week, mainly down south, and will look forward to meeting up with anyone in the area, for a glass or two of Minervois rosé!

Ah! The Minervois rose. You would think that an angel had piddled on your tonsils. Cest magnifique! The Doujon's 2015. Well balanced and appealing. Vibrant with an exciting finish.

A bit like me really.

I will bring me trusty bottle opener again, never been beaten. Like me old conker of years gone by.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Wussername said:

Well balanced and appealing. Vibrant with an exciting finish.

An un-assuming little wine, from the foot of the south slope.

Best enjoyed with good friends,  on the banks of the Yare, as the sun goes down over Whitlingham sewage works!

• Like 3

Just now, Jonzo said:

Very nice boats. I may see you at Ricko's as I'll be out on Highland Gem 2 that weekend.

Me too

We pick up Swan Rapide for 2 weeks that day (not everyone's cup of tea I know but the design suits our needs with 86 year old mum on board )

• Like 3

We had a Rio Light which is the same type of boat last year and it was great for us. (I helm from outside anyway whatever the weather )

We did consider the Rapide when it was still at Swancraft but think it was booked  the week we wanted and ended up going with Silver Elegance.

We couldn't believe the price from Rico's

• Like 2

Just now, Jonzo said:

I have found Richardson's to be massively cheaper than other yards, and their boats usually better, certainly compared to Herbert Woods.

I completely agree

the HW boat is older and was pretty worn but still costs a lot more. 

The only reason we don't always use Richardson's is we find it varies our holiday experience starting from different yards.

• Like 3

As you know, I am a huge fan of Richardson's, even if we had thousands to spend on a boat I would still hire from them and most definitely an older boat, the refurbs on them are so very well done, the character of a boat is important to us, don't get me wrong the new builds are fantastic but I don't like all the white plastic the interiors so often have. Two weeks on the Broads from Richardson's as opposed to one week from elsewhere at the same price, I know what I'd choose

Although that's not to say we shouldn't support the smaller yards, of course we should and have done on various occasions in the past and, hopefully in the future

I have visions of Dave sat at the outside helm on a freezing cold day, frozen stiff with icicles hanging from his nose, nothings going to stop him from helming outside :facepalm:

Grace

• Like 7

With apologies for the delay, especially to Vaughan; the proximity of the Birthday Party date to the usual Autumn Meet, plus team availability issues means that it isn't possible to run an 'official' NBN Meet this Autumn. 

However Vaughan has shared his plans and there is wine(!) so I am sure an 'unofficial' gathering to share beverages may develop amongst members who are about at that time. 

• Like 2

Right.

I shall look at the tide tables and work out a plan of where we shall be on each day.

Other members can then add their itineraries and we shall see if we can come up with a meeting - or two!

I am thinking of a nice wild mooring on the Postwick Marshes, where we can gather and watch the sun going down over the Whitlingham Sewage Works. . . . . .

• Like 1

I wish I could join you guys again. I'm back in August on Tobago 3 but that'll be it for me this year. Vaughan - I have sister ship to yours, Swan Roamer end May next year so I'll be very interested to hear how you get on. I really enjoyed your write up last time. 

I keep an eye on prices and offers at all the boatyards but like others, Richardsons keep hauling me back, especially with the loyalty scheme. In May I used my loyalty discount (second batch of 6 holidays I've had) which had accrued to £170. The hire charge for 5 nights was £250-£170=£80 plus fuel and damage waiver. 

• Like 3