Outboard not engaging gear

Guest Rough_cut_gem

Got a bit of a problem with a Mariner 20 outboard motor.

Currently moored at Stalham.

The motor starts but it does not appear to be engaging gear when selecting forward or reverse.

Also the tilting of the outboard is not operating properly. Normally you have to put the throttle lever in forward position to enable the engine to be tilted out of the water.

I think some kind of linkage is not operating properly to allow the engine to go into gear and this is also affecting the tilt operation.

Anyway I think I need someone with a bit more experience of fixing outboards.

Does anyone know anyone that can help.

I have the trailer 1/4 mile away but no propulsion to get there. Fixing the engine while on the trailer would obviously be the best course of action unless its an easy fix.

I will ask at Richardsons tomorrow, but they will be very busy.

Any one with advice or contacts that can help would be appreciated.

Hi,

This might not be much help but I have two small (4hp) Mariner outboards. These have an inspection rubber bung at the base of the leg, these give access to a rod and clamp that engages the gears. If the clamp is loose or moved the outboard will not engage in gear or jump out when in use.

Ian :Sailing

Hi,

Here is the photo of bolt access hole on my mariner. The block clamps two rods together and joins the gear selector lever to the gearbox.

Mine came loose and I put the control lever into gear, pushed the lower gearbox rod into gear, then tightened the bolt.

I do suspect your system is more complicated with the lowering setup but worth a look.

Ian

post-73-136713570775_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ian.

Had a look but could not find an easy access hole.

I managed to get John Brinded from Ludham out to have a look & he found the problem pretty quickly.

A connecting pin behind the starter motor had come off, and after a few minutes removing some bits to get access he re-attached it

I would recommend him. 01692 678178 or 07747773893