Esoteric Saily Question

Another thing, I'm having great difficulty with the allegation that there are broads yachts out there which need more weather helm. Who are these strange creatures? I've never met one. How do I get one? Or give my boat the same problem. Answers on a postcard, pleases!

23 minutes ago, Spider said:

Another thing, I'm having great difficulty with the allegation that there are broads yachts out there which need more weather helm. Who are these strange creatures? I've never met one. How do I get one? Or give my boat the same problem. Answers on a postcard, pleases!

I suspect you may have a point as my first suspicion was (or is) keel stalling.

2 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Just a thank you for yesterday evening's fun conversation.

The "friendly forum" and all that!

A bit of banter is good for the soul, Vaughan, if not as good as a few pints of Adnams Broadside! :naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JennyMorgan said:

To meet iain's challenge I will add to the above 'and put some serious strain on her **** blocks'! Now, will the auto censor kick in?

Looks like it JM :naughty: Thankfully, I take nowt to do with that department, far too fiddly for me !

cheersIain

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Spider said:

MORE weather helm???

Now THAT'S weather helm!"

At the Helm.jpg

18 minutes ago, Polly said:

There are certain splices that go with your naughty blocks JM....:rolleyes:

Rudder fixed BTW

Fixed! That could be problematic ;) 

Re those naughty splices, long splice, short splice, eye splice, round splice, antigallican splice, back splice, crown splice, side splice, span splice, double loop splice, chain splice, ring splice.

All seem pretty innocuous to me, perhaps I've missed one or two.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2016 at 5:47 PM, JennyMorgan said:

On 6/3/2016 at 11:21 AM, Hockham Admiral said:

Cut splice (and I DO know what it was originally called, Peter!), horseshoe, Brummel are a few others that I know!

I often wonder if a 'you know what' was called after that particular splice or the whether the splice was named after that particular 'you know what'? 

Polly, I woke early this morning, as one does, and started thinking about your rigging problem, as I am still wondering why you want to lead the topping lift into the cockpit,  since for mooring up, you will have someone up forrard anyway.

Brilliant is a large yacht and I imagine she is often sailed by just the two of you. Could it be that you are finding it difficult to lift the weight of that big boom, with just one person? If this is the case you would be very much better to rig the topping lift as a "double whip".

Hard to describe without a drawing, but with the topping lift in the slack position, look at the rope where it hangs down the side of the mast, cut it off about 15 feet above the deck and splice a tail block in the end of it. With another length of line for the "whip" attach the standing part to an eyebolt on the tabernacle near the deck, pass the line through the tail block and back down to the normal cleat, on the tabernacle. Once rigged in the spring it can stay like that all the time. You now have an arrangement known as "rove to advantage" and when you haul down on it you will get a two to one purchase.

I still don't think your proposal is efficient in rigging terms, as the Navy reckon when you pass a rope through the sheave of a pulley you will lose up to 7% of the pull to friction. You are already going through a sheave up on the mast and so if you now go through another one, you are losing 14% of the hauling effort. You may say "Ah, but you are also suggesting I go through another pulley". In my case the tail block is used to create a "purchase" rather than just going through another leading block.

I hope this makes sense - if not I'll have another go!