It's Nipper's Tlc Time

hi Hun. Just wanted to say how proud I am of you. You've worked so hard to make Nipper shine. Can't wait to see the end result. 

just got the cabins to do next, and the wheel house lol. Xxx  seriously though, time to rest a bit and take it easy. You deserve it.  

Luv Hele X not forgetting Maddison and Oby Woof Woof X 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Nipper is testing us yet again, with the threat of being lifted at the end of the month she decided to test my mooring skills at Ranworth today when the throttle cable snapped and also stuck in gear.

Hele was on the bank when we decided to move the boat closer to the electric post,  as she cast off I went forward to turn then selected reverse and snap. I managed to jump off and get a rope round a post before turning the engine off and throwing a line across the dyke to a kind fellow boater who pulled me back.  

A temporary repair has now been carried out thank goodness for electrical chocolate blocks. So a trip to Boulter’s might be in order tomorrow.  

• 7 months later...

Not posted on this thread for a while so decided to update it.  Nipper was lifted at the beginning of November by Martham to spend the winter under cover.

After a quick survey it became apparent that I was going to have a busy winter.  In the end around 170 feet of planking fitted and around 8 ribs that were either rotted or broken, cabin sides scraped back and revarnished as well as 2 coats of varnish on the hull.  I knew from last time I had a bit of rot in the chine so off with the rubber then the chine plank then the chine rail, that certainly challenged me and took 2 attempts to get it right, also had some damage to the stern tube chock so repair carried out as well as fitting a stainless bracket to hold the tube new  cutless bearing also fitted while the tube was out.

Next up was to scrape off all the tar varnish (worst job carried out) and rake out all the old seams and recaulk all the seams and then fill with inseed putty. New antifoul and boot top along with 2 coats of tar varnish finished the bottom off nicely.

As the list of jobs grew so did the launch date and we finally got her in yesterday, taking up well and only a couple of areas still to go. 

19E1FEC2-19C0-4989-9987-79579E4F41E1.jpeg

28B68B46-C3E4-4E7C-8432-04F5A1F45F76.jpeg

F686B99F-879E-4B41-947A-CD3A5F82808E.jpeg

286FA31B-643E-48F6-AB43-B00DC705F032.jpeg

968875DA-90CD-4690-925E-BAD2547AE709.jpeg

1DDEAAC8-C00D-49E0-A310-6D21F1187129.jpeg

FBDE5A4E-B2DD-411D-ABB4-C3CC9EE29096.jpeg

AD41C4A9-ED44-40B6-86DE-9BCDB4DF295F.jpeg

• Like 10

It seems all so easy when you read a few words, look at a few before, during and after pictures and think what good job you did. However, then I think back to sat under B.A with a chisel poking about,  hammering and generally finding out how long it takes to get just a little bit of rotten wood out and try and make an okay looking job it it. I swear to God that what some of today's wayward Youth need is none of this community service nonsense, get them some sand paper, and a tin of varnish and see how they like having to put on a few coats of that - it is what sorts the men from the boys (and why Charlie and his Purdy brush go together so well).

Seriously Doug, you really do have some patience, skill and perseverance. She is looking perfect and can't wait for Beccles - sunshine and the smell of varnished wood in the morning..Perfect.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Seriously Doug, you really do have some patience, skill and perseverance. She is looking perfect and can't wait for Beccles - sunshine and the smell of varnished wood in the morning..Perfect.

If 2 weeks ago you had offered me a couple of thousand pounds you could now be her new owner :default_gbxhmm:

i was working night shifts and trying to work out how I was going to get all the jobs done in time for Monday’s launch, there was only one thing for it finish work at 04-30 after a 9 hr shift straight down to Martham hoover the cabin side and deck tack off and apply a coat of varnish finishing back home and in bed by 08-00. I did this a couple of times just to get enough coats on in the time frame available. By the end of the week I would have almost given it away but luckily no one made me an offer.

you definitely need to love wooden boats to own one or be completely barking. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, brundallNavy said:

If 2 weeks ago you had offered me a couple of thousand pounds you could now be her new owner :default_gbxhmm:

i was working night shifts and trying to work out how I was going to get all the jobs done in time for Monday’s launch, there was only one thing for it finish work at 04-30 after a 9 hr shift straight down to Martham hoover the cabin side and deck tack off and apply a coat of varnish finishing back home and in bed by 08-00. I did this a couple of times just to get enough coats on in the time frame available. By the end of the week I would have almost given it away but luckily no one made me an offer.

you definitely need to love wooden boats to own one or be completely barking mad!

You forgot the 'mad' bit at the end.

I really like wooden boats and have said this before, that I admire anyone that keeps one afloat and hopefully rot free. If I had the time, which I think labour wise is a big thing with woodies, I would like to own one as GRP doesn't come close to natural beauty on the broads.

Although my Woodie would be a stinky and not one of those flappy things.:default_biggrin:

• 2 months later...

Having come back from our trip south I was getting concerned about the frequent Bilge pump action  

Yesterday we came down to the boat to find we had no water. We also noticed the bilge pump didn’t go once over night.  

When we were hit a few years ago it was right on the water tank which is copper riveted construction and it caused it to leak well it had been leaking again so out with the hand basin and a temporary repair carried out and hopefully it will last long enough to get a stainless tank made. And no bilge pump action at all today. :default_eusa_dance:

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

As some of you know I have been busy again this winter on Nipper.  She came out of the water in November last year and went into Martham’s shed where this years project was strip and revarnish the hull to match the top I did last year.

Due to the Covid lockdown I was unable to get on with finishing her until two weeks ago. 12 tins of varnish later and today was launch day. As you will expect 7 months out of the water she has dried out quite a bit so no surprise we took a bit of water.

With an unexpected low water this morning I managed to get back under Potter with 6ft 3inches clearance. Now back on her mooring she is pumping every 45 mins I will check on her again tomorrow after she has had a chance to settle.

3F41BEE9-F096-4CE2-89DB-67D062563A05.jpeg

AE2F69BD-FF19-44C6-B651-8CB27D425DFA.jpeg

E78F1E0A-0515-40EE-B90D-9D57F8EB7475.jpeg

5CC8FBBE-52F0-48A9-B12A-03F5611F5E01.jpeg

81A7728F-A56C-400B-BA2C-5E33FA340DBA.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 3