England

Gracie

58 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

I stick to rugby. Union or league much more gentile. And the fans are such nice people.

Never played football as both my schools were rugby schools, don't understand the finer points of football so don't watch it. 

Certainly don't understand why it attracts such violence. Unless it is fueled by alcohol.

Alcohol and regressive breeding, the knuckles are getting nearer and nearer the pavement with each generation. The only exception being with Norwich City supporters! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BroadScot said:

These days its errr played by overpaid millionaires, not tanner baw players wi flat caps. I was lucky enough to see the greats of the fifties and 60s, too many to mention!!!

cheersIain

Who earned less in their career than some of these earn in a week.

• Like 3

Earn???????

I would like to see some of todays so called star players up against the great  players of the 50's and 60's

When the game was played with a good old fashioned ball and proper boots.  And many players still had a day job as well.

England did well in 1966.playing proper football.

Can't find any interest in the game these days.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BroadScot said:

These days its errr played by overpaid millionaires, not tanner baw players wi flat caps. I was lucky enough to see the greats of the fifties and 60s, too many to mention!!!

cheersIain

This is the fourth day of the Euros, or if youre Scottish, it's Monday. 

Sorry Iain.

• Like 1

On 12/06/2016 at 5:05 PM, ChrisB said:

I stick to rugby. Union or league much more gentile. And the fans are such nice people.

Is that right ?   I don't think so....." Indeed, the sum of what we have learned over this past week is that if you look to the rugby as a retreat, as a sanctuary from the crudity and coarseness that passes for discourse at a football stadium, then you have come to the wrong place. The Wildean wisdom that it can be held up as a barbarians' game played by gentlemen has never been under greater threat. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/11228527/Rugby-union-crowds-have-lost-the-moral-high-ground-they-are-as-abusive-and-xenophobic-as-football-fans.html

I mostly enjoy watching football on TV, you get the most detailed view of the play on modern large screens.

There's a high a proportion of traveling "supporters" that simply use the sport as an excuse to act as an aggressive pack whilst being protected by numbers, to avoid prosecution by the police.

(...both at the ground and whilst traveling to and from....)

Well, I like to watch these w*****s play football, as do the rest of my family and quite a few million other people. I started this topic for a bit of fun, crikey there's more than enough terrible things going on in the world like the people that were shot dead in a night club in America. This tournament is only once in every 4 years, when it's all over you can get back to watching the soaps and Top Gear, I'm not a particular fan of either but whatever floats your boat, I say.

All the best of luck on Thursday, England :trophy

Grace

• Like 3

Actually those that are unpatriotic when it comes down to football are in fact just a very small minority of the poulation, that make the most noise though. Like the minority in so many things sadly... they more often get there own way by making the most noise sad but true.... ACCEPT IN FOOT BALL CUM ON EGERLAND .................

• Like 1

So much sport has now sold it's soul to satelite pay to view that when the terrestial TV companies can lay their hands on real sport they do tend to overindulge in the frothy delight of continuous broadcasting.

Quite why the lesser matches (anything not involving England & Norwich city( aka Ireland)) are broadcast on the mainstream chanels is beyond me ..... there are many less loved channels that could accomodate these games .... and maybe even the red button?

There are 5 million folk waiting with bated breath for Thursdays result....come on Wales !!! Well I am half Taff !!! :naughty: 

cheersIain

Ah yes....Lady Patricia... Lastdraft and Poppy are on my radar! :naughty: Norwich City ..Irish? Its SCOTTISH managed....for now lol:naughty:

2 hours ago, springsong said:

Gracie I do understand your point of view but their must be several million people who think like myself that a month every four years is too often. Whatever floats ones boat I guess.

Only 1 month every four years.........

I'ts about time those several million people could add up properly.....:naughty:

Or do they accept and watch the world cup and just moan about the Euros....:hardhat:

:Stinky

Now't wrong with the game as such but footy certainly brings the worst out in some people, even when the Russians aren't about!

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/30_people_in_mass_brawl_outside_hemsby_pub_during_england_v_russia_game_1_4576713?utm_medium=email&utm_source=eshot&utm_campaign=newsletterlink

Whoops, see Tangara had already found this one! Have to blame it on the incomers;)