slides of the 70s!

C.Ricko

This one was a photo too,

she is 'York Enterprise' a general purpose workboat which went to Yarmouth..

the photo was taken in the 'Bath' at Catfield.

why did nobody take a side on photo? :? I think I have one in a sales pamphlet somewhere...

post-503-136713573101_thumb.jpg

last picture of the '43 now unless I scan the sales thingy next week...

This one is for Jonny as he seems to like engines, unfortunately I am not sure what they are but they are big as they were in a workboat (York Enterprise). there was plenty of strength built into these hulls, they were all built to Loyds specification..

I did have a overhead photo of this boat pulling a tallship off the coast somewhere but I dont know where it is :(

post-503-136713573382_thumb.jpg

In with the slides was these of the shed at Catfield where Dad moved the building operation when he sold the boatyard at Stalham, for those of you lucky enough to pass through Catfield regularly it is between the two trend sites behind what was a garage and is now a bus depot and garage again.

Moulding was done in the smaller original of the two sheds and building in the new one.

the shed was a T2 aircraft hanger, I cant remember where he got it from.

post-503-136713573763_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713573774_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713573789_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713573799_thumb.jpg

Hi Jonny,

we still have Catfield, it is divided up into units.

I found some pictures of the 43' but they would not scan properly but I will try another approach ab=nother time..

I did scan these slides of a boat we built for the fisheries, we borrowed the mould from the architect John Perryman, she was 40 foot long

post-503-136713574122_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713574138_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713574419_thumb.jpg

Hi Clive

I hope this isn't to personal.

I was woundering if your dad named any of his boats after loved ones?

did your dad build a boat that each time he saw it he would fall in love each time?

little like me but i dont fall in love with one i end up loving them all not the best place if your moored in a yard where it happens each time you visit. :cry

Jonny ice sliceice slice

HI Jonny,

His first boat he built was called 'Just Jane' that was the name of his Niece (my cousin)

I dont think he fell oin love with them, he was keen to build the next before he finished the one on the go!

Here is a slide of one of the 'Siestas' a single level 35' boat.

it was taken in the 'building shop' arround 1965, I was given this slide earlier this week, it is funny as I have been clearing this shed with my brother for the last two days, we shall be building the new plug and mould in there soon. the last boat to be built in the building shop was Sensation about 15 years ago.

post-503-136713575086_thumb.jpg

Wow look at the hull on that :o:o

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice slice

When Dad told the boat builders to use 4" paralell planking they were also shocked, they were not happy with the planks curving up towards the bow, traditionally a plank should look straight but this took longer to shape and created waste :o:o

Dads fleet was built cost effective to do a job.

we are going off topic again- Sorry!

I also have a picture of the SCA boats(Suez Canal Authority)

we did not mould them but we fitted out about 20 of them, which we only shipped 7 as they would not meet the speed requirements, it seemed that the bigger the engine the more the boat weighed and it went no faster. This was a problem as we only fitted out the specified hulls as we were asked. we sold them off gradually, it was one of the reasons Dad decided to knock this moulding/building idea on the head.

I think Bridgecraft at Acle has one, it was the one we kept as a towboat at acle before we sold our yard in Maidenhead in 1985 and got 'Samson' the sister ship to 'Hercules' at Stalham.

post-503-136713582227_thumb.jpg