Historic Oulton Broad: The Robinson Yards

Guest JARobinson

Hi Jill,

I am sure the phrase you were looking for was 'criminal stupidity'! but thanks, to be honest I find it quite rewarding, but its been a long road from when she was put on a lorry from the thames about 3 ish years ago!Still only 3 planks to go then 12 ribs in the forward end and the hull will be largely done. We worked on 400 feet of planking to do, and as ever, i think its closer to 800 now! But that first slow meander down the river with a beer next year will make it all worth while.

chris

Wow :clap

So, good to see such historic photos, loved the one of the taxi being loaded in London. I imagine, then it must have felt very adventurous and exotic to take a holiday on a boat on the Broads??

Are you planning on floating her on the broads?

(Edited for spillchick hick)

Hi Jupes,

yes she is home now, and she will be staying! The thames did odd things to this particular norfolk girl, she sank twice on the owners mooring had more anchors than a 30 foot boat has a right to have - i think it was 7 at the last count, although there is still time to find more! and had some very dodgy repairs done during her life, but she will be back cruising the braods at somepoint next year.

chris

well Simon,

as you know i sail, motor cruise and speedboat so I can do slow meandering for a short while! then the old lets get there urge kicks in, mind you i now have the ideal chance to fit hydrofoils to romany, mind you i am not sure the side valve petrol engine would have quite enough grunt to fully realise their potential!

• 9 years later...

I don,t know if anyone is still about regarding the conversations relating to Robinsons, did you know they bought out another boatyard in Tewkesbury "Bathursts". This has been started by my own gt gt gt grandfather in the 1840, s, went into voluntary liquidation in the early 1920,s but still continued under their name until it closed in the 1960,s . I believe that Robinsons purchased it just before ww2, hope this helps

• Like 1

First off welcome to the forum. It's nice to see more historians! 
The experts may be able to confirm or not but there is something familiar about the roof line and hull of the boat in the second to last image. It reminds me of one currently outside Martham Boats, on the left of the picture, or was last year. Poor picture as it's a screen grab from some film footage. I think it was Doug, possibly Dave that told me it was an Oulton Broad boat?Martham Launch.JPG

• Like 1

Yes she is Romany, a Robinson boat, and has just changed hands to a good friend and fellow Beccles attendee.

She is about to be moved from Martham (may already have been) to her new owners facility so her future is looking more certain. Sadly she has lost a lot of her original fittings so the search is on!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Yes she is Romany, a Robinson boat, and has just changed hands to a good friend and fellow Beccles attendee.

She is about to be moved from Martham (may already have been) to her new owners facility so her future is looking more certain. Sadly she has lost a lot of her original fittings so the search is on!

I was totally fascinated by this boat when we were at the DIY SOS so will really look forward to seeing her