WiFi Hotspots

mbird

Hi all,

I am interested in trying to come up with a concise list of WiFi access hotspots around the Broads, and whether they are free or fee. I'll make this thread sticky, so if anyone can add to it when they come across one, it would really help.

First off, the Kings Head in Wroxham has free WiFi for patrons.

Over to you..... :wave

• Like 1

I know Pete was trying to establish 3G and GPRS coverage and he put up some Ofcom coverage guides but, it might be handy if we all post up our personal experience with whatever networks we use.

So far, I can tell that Wayford has a solid GPRS signal via Voda dongle and Ferry Marina is fair to okay on GPRS too. Salhouse Broad (mudweighted) had Voda 3G service with good signal strength.

So to further summarise this far we have WiFi availability at:

Wroxham - Kings Head (Free)

Wroxham - McDonalds (Free)

Burgh St Peter - Waveney River Centre (£6/day)

Reedham Ferry - Ferry Inn

Oulton Broad - Wherry Inn

Horning - Swann Inn (£2.95/30 mins)

Acle - Bridge Inn (Free)

This thread is on-going, so as you find them please keep adding them :grin:

• Like 1

Good calls, John & Col! Both purveyors of a fine pint or three :clap

Wroxham - Kings Head (Free)

Wroxham - McDonalds (Free)

Burgh St Peter - Waveney River Centre (£6/day)

Reedham Ferry - Ferry Inn

Oulton Broad - Wherry Inn

Horning - Swann Inn (£2.95/30 mins)

Acle - Bridge Inn (Free)

Norwich - The Coach and Horses (free)

Salhouse (Woodbastwick) - Fur and Feather (free)

Certain that this had been done before, and concerned that we might be re-inventing the (hamster) wheel, I looked at another place... In 'Geeks corner' there are some threads about this... one of them, amusingly, pointed me to yet another place that I have not chosen to visit... They have a page on this topic that suggests there are quite a few hotspots scattered around...

You are quite right Danny, and I know for certain that the NBO mobi website has a list of WiFi hotspots. However, I do not just want to copy the list, as I do not know how up to date it is. I thought it would therefore be better to compile a new list from scratch from "eye witness" members. :grin:

cheersbar

Certain that this had been done before, and concerned that we might be re-inventing the (hamster) wheel, I looked at another place... In 'Geeks corner' there are some threads about this... one of them, amusingly, pointed me to yet another place that I have not chosen to visit... They have a page on this topic that suggests there are quite a few hotspots scattered around...

Danny, Hi

The only problem here is that the thread you mention isn't recent and Mark is trying to compile an up-to-date one. (Sorry, Mark is compiling!)

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Fur and Feather, tried last week, no WLan found with two wifi enabled phones looking, WiFi is still advertised but the venison pie beckoned more strongly than twitter.

and I don't call it twitter, just alter one of the vowels. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Mark

the WRC has free wifi once you have payed your mooring fee & they have given you the password.

Jonny ice sliceice slice

yes wifi is available here (WRC)

but its not free

you can pay for a day use or weekly or monthly or like me yearly

obviously the longer you have the cheaper it is

i'm here all year round so i have the yearly at £120 a year (i think)

the speed isn't great but its wifi so what do u expect

altho it is run though the bt phone line so with bt bringing out these new hyper speeds it may improve

hope that helps with this one anyway

steve

Hi

We have recently had a WiFi aerial set up at Ludham Bridge boatyard, you can pay via debit card or visa , over the phone or purchase vouchers at the boatyard.

However, its so new I havn't got around to sorting out all the details yet, but it will all be up & running later! At least you know that you can moor up there get online in due course.

At the moment I guess there is not much need for it, but in the future years I guess having a computer with you and not being able to get online will be very frustrating! Very simlar to not having a mobile phone signal now, not many people had mobile phones 10 years ago and not having one now is like losing your right arm, and peolple are always complaining about not getting a good phone signal 100% of the time,

How things change ice slice

Thanks for the updates, Steve and Jason.

At the moment I guess there is not much need for it

I think you may be surprised, Jason. Obviously there is a limited "need" for WiFi from a leisure persepctive, though I personally do not understand that when afloat. The main need from my point of view though is to stay in touch with my clients. Being a self-employed one-man-band makes taking holidays very difficult, as clients can't reach you and whilst holidaying you are obviously not earning. However, with the increase in WiFi hotspots, it is now becoming a little more realistic to take the laptop and work on the boat, and still be able to check on the emails whenever WiFi is available. The more hotspots I can find, the more chance there is of me being able to spend some time with my family :grin: