Calypso forward well..

C.Ricko

Did she not have a removable headrest in the aft cabin?

Don't forget the highly visible contortions to find and undo the nuts that hold the headrest in. :lol:

But the real downside is when you have got the steps out of the way to get more access, say to the weed filter, climb onto the back for whatever reason, i.e collect aa tool or do something to the engine, go bounding back in and forget you took the steps away. Yea Ive done it ( few times) works quite well at the front as well :oops:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Er yes both of them Clive .

I bought WD, or Serene Gem2 as she was known, from a highly reputable boatyard, :wave both nuts were fitted and I have diligently put them back each time. Now you have lead me astray and they probably will never go back on again. :evil: What is a biggerr pain is moving the beds to get the panel out, I bet you gonna tell me that is not necessary either :grin:

That outfit has been operating motorboats since about 1920 from Oulton broad free quay and first cruiser in 1943. they are now on the 5th generation of boatbuilders!

as for the headboard thing, wingnuts are the best option and normall only one being the easiest to get back on as the other may be in the bilge somewhere :)

I sometimes wish we had re fitted Knave as I have seen a really spectacular re fit on a Calypso but we were blinded by something "bright and shiney" which turned out to be unsuitable for us hence the subsequent purchase of our Sally.

Hay Rod

Sally is indeed a stunner massive sofa massive saloon which i dint think she was going to have from the look outside shes like a tardis

Jonny ice sliceice slice

Its just that it is a tad undignified being upside down with your legs sticking up in the air just to tighten a drive belt

Even more undignified when you have got short arms and slide forward into the engine bay a bit further and then are like a tortoise on its back trying to get out.

Am I to assume from the comments that the super new forward well calypso is completed and awaiting my inspection

Jonny,

Don't get me wrong we have no regrets in buying Sally we know we are fortunate enough to have a very nice boat.

you know what i am going to say but i wont can you guess Rod :naughty::naughty::naughty:cheersbar

Jonny ice sliceice slice

• 1 month later...

This thread has gone awful quiet, is she finished? what is she called ? and any recent pictures please Clive.

SWMBO is talking about rear cabin rearrangements in Woodland Dawn futons at an angle etc after I showed her the bed at an angle.

SWMBO is talking about rear cabin rearrangements in Woodland Dawn futons at an angle etc after I showed her the bed at an angle.

Hi Gordon

yes does make you think about getting one built doesn't it i also like the sofa but how much do you think were looking at :lol:

Jonny ice sliceice slice

now Clive

you have me going here we are looking to get Curlew a new galley refit as you might of hear me talking about sometime in august or sep would there be any possibility of say having the exactly galley layout in that photo but with a four burner gas thats built in to the work top & a oven grill ect instead of a full stand up cooker?

Chris is going to get his ear chewed off in April :lol::lol: he will have to beat me off with a stick

all that space remarkable

Jonny ice sliceice slice

Jonny,

She cost a fair whack but has had new EVERYTHING and windows/cabin sides changed etc.

With regard to fitting out Curlew, anything is possible it just depends on how much you want to spend and how far you want to go.

Hi Clive

Wow, what a superb craft she looks now. Almost unrecognasable as the same boat you showed me last June when she was stripped out ready for starting on (piccies attached)

From what we can see of the outside that has all worked very well and a nice iprovement/modernisation, will be interested to see this new look Calypso on the water

Dan

post-93-136713665157_thumb.jpg

post-93-136713665171_thumb.jpg

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

That looks absolutely stunning. It just goes to prove you DONT need to build all these brand new boats when that sort of standard can be acheived on a near 40 year old boat. And it`s more environmentally freindly too :roll::roll::roll: . Why don`t you try to get the river liscence cheaper Clive, purely for environmental reasons of course. Regards..............Neil.

That looks absolutely stunning. It just goes to prove you DONT need to build all these brand new boats when that sort of standard can be acheived on a near 40 year old boat. And it`s more environmentally freindly too :roll::roll::roll: . Why don`t you try to get the river liscence cheaper Clive, purely for environmental reasons of course. Regards..............Neil.

the members of the Broads Hire Boat Federation have been trying to get the licence fee down for years as there is little or no reason why we should be penalised for trying to keep tourism and jobs in the area.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Too right. The hire boat industry was for many years Norfolks biggest tourist buisness (or so i was told), and has been a cash cow for the Broads authority for far too long.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

In reality Clive, in many situations, you can benefit from tax concessions and other financial incentives for various environmental benefits. Well, correct me if i`m wrong, but this is an environmental issue. Sustainable i think is the buzz word, and if a buisness comes up with something sustainable, they could get various tax benefit, and what you have done with this boat, and Barbados, is making these boats sustainable.

I looked into research and development grants etc etc when setting up the new build, unfortunately it would cost more to get funding than what we could expect to get, there was no way we could get any money to employ people or develop any form of environmentally friendly ideas or new technology so we basically knocked the whole idea and built what we wanted to on our own for ourselves, it is a shame that with all the money available they cant seem to give any away.

wouldnt it be nice to bring some innovation to England, I think it will happen but from another country.

Very smart indeed thank you for posting the pictures Clive. It is good to see a restoration rather than scrapping. So many good cars have been condemmed to the scrap heap. There are those smugly driving around in "green cars" trying to tell the world that it is kinder to the planet. How much energy and polution was involved in the making of said green car, the old banger will probably not produce that much in decades.

Off the soapbox and back to the Calypso, am I right in assuming there was a prop access hatch that has been done away with I think it is just visible in Dans picture

Well done sir nice looking boat. :clap

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

An excellent point there Clive. We`re always being told there`s money available, but when you apply for any kind of grant or loan, all you get is knock backs. I don`t know if you`re interrested, but if you get the chance, there`s a book about how John Bloor brought about the re-birth of Triumph Motorcycles in the 80s, and is a damn good read. It explains how he funded the whole project out of his own personal wealth, because all the investment banks would do, is starve the project of needed funds and demanded a return on their investments within the first twelve months, or face the company being taken over and then sold by the bank.The result was he subsidised the company every year for about ten years at an average of £4 million per year until the company got established, and is now the only motorcycle manufacturer to see an increas in sales EVERY year, including through this recession. He could NEVER have done so if he relied on investment banks etc. So the moral of this story is you`ve obviously done the right thing, and all of you, and the team deserve a huge amount of credit and respect :clap:clap:clap . Regards.................... Neil.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Clive

looking more at the photo's of the front well conversion i was thinking about drainage at the bottom on the steps as when its raining the water is going to accumulate at the foot of the steps?

Jonny ice sliceice slice