Jump to content
  • Announcements

    Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

    You can Sign up or log in with your Facebook account and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

    Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

  • calender payment

    Calendar Paymene

    Delivery Options
    Your NBN Forum Username:

  • If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

    Forum Shop

BryanW

Save Our Broads (bins)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, axelf said:

Hi 1st post

Wondering if you can help Londanrascal, are you using a standard dongle with 3.

Im with EE but rely on some signal for my business. Would say 3 is better.

Sorry for changing subject

:welcome: to forum from me. No worries at all for changing the subject, this thread was initial about bins and phones! Just in case Robin misses this. He uses a 3 mifi dongle. He suggested to me and it does work well.. Even in Horning. Hopefully he will be along shortly to expand :) Enjoy the forum. Feel free to use the "New members say hi" section to tell us a bit more about yourself! (http://thenorfolkbroads.net/forum/forum/18-new-members-say-hi/

cheers 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I am going to do a 'swerve' and get the topic back on track - cos' you can use your  MiFi Dongle to get online and look up where you might be able to dump your rubbish.  Well, I tried..

So yes, it is a bit old now (over 4 years) and the charging base gave up the ghost but still works directly plugged in.  It is not 4G but still gets better than 3G speed.  The Three network, to my mind does provide the most consistent service so far as data.  On a recent trip down south, when moored outside the Ferry House at Surlingham, O2 had GPRS. EE had one bar of 3G. Three had 4 bars and HSDPA (High-Speed Downlink Packet Access) you can Google what that is, but effectively not as fast as 4G/LTE but better than 3G. 

If I was buying something today I would stick to using a Huawei branded unit, but I would get something from Amazon that is unlocked to then put in a Three SIM. Something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OZLP6C2 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After seeing Monica's pictures of full waste bins on another topic.

I suggest that the Broads Authority and the relevant district council is contacted emailed with regards to any complaints.

By kind permission of Paladine here is a contact list of people who to contact.

Norfolk County Council 

Project Director - Residual Waste Services 
Joel Hull       

joel.hull@norfolk.gov.uk 
Direct dial telephone number: 07747841876 

or Norfolk County Council General enquiries: 0344 800 8020 

North Norfolk District Council 

Environmental Services Manager 
Scott Martin 

Scott.Martin@north-norfolk.gov.uk 
Tele: 01263 516341 

Great Yarmouth Borough Council 

Senior Environmental Ranger 
Paul Shucksmith 

ps@great-yarmouth.gov.uk 
Tele: 01493 846620 

Broadland District Council 


complaints@broadland.gov.uk 
environ.protection@broadland.gov.uk 
Tele: 01603 430615 

South Norfolk District Council 

Leader and Chair of the Cabinet 
John Fuller 

jfuller@s-norfolk.gov.uk 

or 

feedback@s-norfolk.gov.uk 
Main number: 0808 168 2000 
Waste and Recycling: 0808 168 3333 

Waveney District Council 


customer.services.wdc@eastsuffolk.gov.uk 
Tele: 01502 562111 

Broads Authority 

Broads Control 

Broads.control@broads-authority.gov.uk 
Tele: 01603 756056 or VHF channel 12 

Chief Executive 
Dr John Packman 

John.Packman@broads-authority.gov.uk 

Chair 
Professor Jacquie Burgess 

Jacquie.Burgess@broads-authority.gov.uk 

Vice-chair 
Sir Peter Dixon 

peterjbdixon@hotmail.com 

Asset Officer 
Angie Leeper 

angie.leeper@broads-authority.gov.uk 
Tele: 01603 756057 

Regards

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alan, I don't think the councils will listen... it really seems we need to prove it.. sadly we noticed an increase in flytipping when we was up there. I did mean to take pictures and post.. perhaps that's what we need to do.. a "Save Our Broads" campain... (Or Save Our Bins! (SOB eitherway ;) ).. everyone take pictures of overflowing bins and post them on the forum that way we have a means to prove there's issues... perhaps worth a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

Alan, I don't think the councils will listen... it really seems we need to prove it.. sadly we noticed an increase in flytipping when we was up there. I did mean to take pictures and post.. perhaps that's what we need to do.. a "Save Our Broads" campain... (Or Save Our Bins! (SOB eitherway ;) ).. everyone take pictures of overflowing bins and post them on the forum that way we have a means to prove there's issues... perhaps worth a try.

Good idea ...perhaps set up a specific page for reporting/posting pics...... NOT FOR COMMENTS !

Just a pic plus details of where and when Nothing more.....I would also suggest having the above post with the contact details at the top.....can it be made a sticky so always stays at the top of the page.

If it contains pure fact, without peoples thoughts comments...it will make a greater impact when linked to or sent to those that require it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing to loose on that one Jaws. I will certainly be looking when we are there.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the NBN "Save Our Broads Bins".

Following the well known removal of waste disposal services on the broads, the authorities appear to believe that there are no issues around this and need evidence to prove there's an issue. 

Please use this thread to post pictures of rubbish beside or on the broads.  (Please state the location and the date taken.)

No comments or personal views for clarity (Use another thread please).

Hopefully together with such evidence we can help the authorities reinstate these facilities.

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:) Here you go then all..:

I'll try and remember to take some pictures next time we are up.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're up in 3 weeks and will keep our eyes open and a camera to hand.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

After seeing Monica's pictures of full waste bins on another topic.

I suggest that the Broads Authority and the relevant district council is contacted emailed with regards to any complaints.

By kind permission of Paladine here is a contact list of people who to contact.

Norfolk County Council 

Project Director - Residual Waste Services 
Joel Hull       

joel.hull@norfolk.gov.uk 
Direct dial telephone number: 07747841876 

or Norfolk County Council General enquiries: 0344 800 8020 

North Norfolk District Council 

Environmental Services Manager 
Scott Martin 

Scott.Martin@north-norfolk.gov.uk 
Tele: 01263 516341 

Great Yarmouth Borough Council 

Senior Environmental Ranger 
Paul Shucksmith 

ps@great-yarmouth.gov.uk 
Tele: 01493 846620 

Broadland District Council 


complaints@broadland.gov.uk 
environ.protection@broadland.gov.uk 
Tele: 01603 430615 

South Norfolk District Council 

Leader and Chair of the Cabinet 
John Fuller 

jfuller@s-norfolk.gov.uk 

or 

feedback@s-norfolk.gov.uk 
Main number: 0808 168 2000 
Waste and Recycling: 0808 168 3333 

Waveney District Council 


customer.services.wdc@eastsuffolk.gov.uk 
Tele: 01502 562111 

Broads Authority 

Broads Control 

Broads.control@broads-authority.gov.uk 
Tele: 01603 756056 or VHF channel 12 

Chief Executive 
Dr John Packman 

John.Packman@broads-authority.gov.uk 

Chair 
Professor Jacquie Burgess 

Jacquie.Burgess@broads-authority.gov.uk 

Vice-chair 
Sir Peter Dixon 

peterjbdixon@hotmail.com 

Asset Officer 
Angie Leeper 

angie.leeper@broads-authority.gov.uk 
Tele: 01603 756057 

Regards

Alan

Can we pin these please, so I can find them if needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no need to fly tip what so ever. On our little boat I crush all plastic and tins after washing them out. Feed the wild life with any scraps. So then your bins don't smell or attract flys (blue bottles etc). One Bin bag lasts me a week that way no smells no mess no fly tipping

The Wench

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Wench said:

There is no need to fly tip what so ever. On our little boat I crush all plastic and tins after washing them out. Feed the wild life with any scraps. So then your bins don't smell or attract flys (blue bottles etc). One Bin bag lasts me a week that way no smells no mess no fly tipping

The Wench

I guess no dogs on board then? That really makes a difference to the whiff from bin bags after a week! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can confirm that the waste compound in the Swan car park at Horning has now been razed to the ground. Plenty of evidence of waste being dumped willy-nilly around the village. It seems that the  spirit of nasty, narrow minded self-interest is alive and well.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We didn't have any problem with getting rid of our rubbish last week - admittedly only two people, eating out most days instead of cooking, don't generate a lot of waste.

The bins for boaters at Womack Water were fine. We used the bins at Horizoncraft while we were moored overnight at Acle and when we stopped there for water. We used the bins at Sutton Staithe, including being able to recycle some things. And other than that we emptied everything else off the boat once back in Richardson's boatyard on our day of return.

It just took some thought and being careful to fold down cardboard boxes, rinse out any tins etc. and crush them down so that the volume of rubbish was reduced.

I see that the original title of this thread mentioned phone signal as well. I'm on O2 and the only place I couldn't get 3G or 4G was Acle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems as though things are OK if you hire or keep your boat at a yard which has waste disposal facilities. Sadly, our moorings in Horning do not. We finished up driving around last week with sacks of rubbish in the back of the car, looking for bins - not the way I want to spend my leisure time.

On the question of phone signals, My wife has Vodaphone and seems to get a decent signal in most places. I am on 3 and it seems as though the signal is worse than it used to be. I use 3's pre-paid data SIMS in my mobile wifi router and have been fine with this for the last couple of years. The last two SIMS  have conked out after about 2-3 days, having registered between 300 and 400 Mbytes of data. At around £10 a pop, these cards are becoming an expensive luxury.

cheers

Steve

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/06/2016 at 0:02 PM, imtamping2 said:

There is another option, and its the same as any other tourist "ATTRACTION" and that is reinstate the bins .

Disposal of tourist waste should be a high priority the same as public toilets.

Without these facilities the "ATTRACTION" is lost along with the income that tourists bring to the local economy, its a downward spiral after that.

No Tourists = No waste problem       Hoorah !     oh but wait a minute......

No Tourists = No business = No employment = No income

Its time to wake up and smell the coffee !!!!!!

My thoughts exactly. Norfolk's economy must be heavily dependent on the tourist industry so why cause potential harm to it?  Would they remove the bins from the seafront at Great Yarmouth?   Probably not, so why pick on The Broads?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good it's getting raised.. (taken time though).. fingers crossed we start seeing some progress.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talks upon talks, maybe if they talk long enough the issue will resolve itself:facepalm:

I noted some good comments after the article.

Regards

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if I had the funding to set up a business I could easily see a business opportunity here for a waste disposal barge, travelling the broads collecting the rubbish, then bringing it to a set location for disposal, I could see this as an opportunity for a liveaboard, just continuously cruising the broads and providing a service to all (though you might want the rubbish on a separate barge, and move away from it when mooring for the night.).

a nice low barge and tug unit that could get under all the bridges, and you have the best of jobs cruising all of the broads, and providing an essential service.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/07/2016 at 11:14 AM, Mouldy said:

My thoughts exactly. Norfolk's economy must be heavily dependent on the tourist industry so why cause potential harm to it?  Would they remove the bins from the seafront at Great Yarmouth?   Probably not, so why pick on The Broads?

Clacton has bins every 100yds, the rate payers pay for it but still people through things on the floor. Plus the sea gull like emptying bins!

I feel the broads should be no different to Clacton.

The Wench

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As well as demonstrating and recording  fly tipping and general litter around the broads, I think it is important to say that 18 months ago, this was not a problem at all. The system that was in place really worked well. So if littering has now become a problem, then you have to look at what has changed.

We all know the answer to that one.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, clearly all was well before the change, so put everything back as it was, and you can expect improvements.

The problem is, the mounting litter around broadland, that is getting blown into the reeds, or deliberately placed there, this could take years to remove.

Now consider this, modern bin bags are biodegradeable, so any bags left in the reeds or wild moorings, will spew out their contents, in a few months, making it more difficult to collect, so expect to see womens hygiene products, anti baby devices, nappies, tins with part open lids that can kill wildlife, waste fishing line, hooks etc plastic bottles blown into the water.

Extreme...  not really, litter and lazy people are all around us, just look at the Mcdonalds and Kentucky fried chicken litter that is left under parked cars by their customers, as they drive off in car parks, or in areas of outstanding natural beauty.

I questioned a woman once about the litter she dropped, she said, there are people paid to collect it, I just help to keep them in their job.

I felt like putting a scratch down the side of her car, and saying, just keeping the local bodywork shop in business. lol

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I once approached someone parked in 2 parking spaces outside my doctors (they have 5 spaces) when he threw the drinks can out of the window of his car. I nicely asked him to pick it up as the medical centre staff would have to do it otherwise, taking up their time from seeing patients. Next thing I know he was out of his car and had me pushed up against my car threatening to punch my head in. It was kicking out time at the local college, so there were about 200 people across the road looking on.

I managed to talk him out of hitting me but it was clear he was annoyed that I had shown him up in front of his kids who were in the car. I eventually managed to get into my car, though he did try and slam the door on me.

eventually his wife came out and he left, at this point one of the people from across the road came over and gave me his registration number. when I got into the surgery I was a little shaken by this encounter, and the staff came over, having watched through the windows, and offered me a cup of tea, and did I need anything - apparently they had rushed his wife through the system to get her out and him gone as quick as possible.

and Yes - he did pick up the can he had thrown from his car window.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Wench said:

Clacton has bins every 100yds, the rate payers pay for it but still people through things on the floor. Plus the sea gull like emptying bins!

I feel the broads should be no different to Clacton.

The Wench

I'm sure the wench was meaning the broads should keep the bins like Clacton.

Charlie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • NBN Mobile App

    Want to use NBN when you're out and about?

    Get our mobile app for Android and iOS!

    Get it on Google Play

×

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.