Richardsons RC45 and RC35

Clive ,

not very forward thinking.

Those few yards that have them fitted dont get pulled, its a customer service, far more useful than satellite tele,

and its good for other broads users

Thanks for your informed comments Andy, we dont have any satellite tellys but customers would rather have one of them than a GPS. We do have rev counters and it is marked on the boat how fast it is travelling at certain revs, perhaps some form of speed indicator on a day boat would also be useful?

Hi David,

You are right, unfortunately even when you scratch a pigmented hull it still seems to show up lighter than the colour especially if it goes through the gel. Also the older a coloured hull gets the harder it is to get a colour to match the gel (even white)

Mind you it is still on the cards...

Lovely looking boats Clive. Nice to see you've embraced the Ford "Kinetic Design" so they look like they're moving when standing still :grin:

By the way, are you going to put beds in for normal size people? At 6'3" I find the newer design boats only cater for the shorties of less than 6' tall and us normal people are left squished up not being able to straighten our legs. When we were still hiring, we used Moonfleet and only their older boats had beds I could fit in. Not one of their newer designs had beds big enough. That was one of the deciding factors when buying our Alpha 32, the fact it had two doubles 7'0" long!

Clive,

you seemed to have missed my point.

you already fit rev counters, when were they calibrated,?

when the boat was first built,?

how many engines ago was that ?

A good gps is fitted once, problem solved.

The point you make about dayboats is a very good point, those without indication

of speed cause problems for ALL broads users, they get stopped, and their day is spoilt.

Those with gps dont get stopped and enjoy the day.

Its not just a good service to your own hirers, its good for all.

Andy

perhaps we should have done a bit more research before deciding on a name over a burger at the boat show :lol:

I am fairly sure all the beds are big, I am normal size too (6'3")

Andy,

I dont think I really missed your point, I just do not always agree with adding extra electronics to already complicated dashboards when a calibrated revcounter should really be adequate, I do agree with the usefulness of it but am still not sure how accurate they are, I also know that once fitted it is not job done as no doubt they would either break or get nicked! however, I suppose if you had one you would not need a rev counter and it is an extra gizmo that customers love to see. :)

The new designs look great Clive. It's great to see after all these years that centre cockpit boats are still being built because they're so right for the Broads. Even though I love dual steers as well, to be building these with the aim of a 6 ft 6 air draft is spot on. I'll be very interested to read how things progress over the next few months.

Hi Clive

From the pictures you have shown us these boats look really terrific, I do like center cockpit boats and if you can really keep the airdraft down to enable passage through Potter you have my vote.

Congratulations on having the "cojones" to make this kind of investment whilst all around are reducing their perceived over exposure in the market. Your family do of course have a proven track record of doing the right thing at the right time in their chosen industry.

I hope this does not sound condesending, it is if fact a statement made in a state of awe, well done. cheers

Start saving Rod, we will take Sally B in Part-Ex ;)

I recon we are a couple of years off the single level version though (unless we get a order :) )

Whatever goes on top of the hull can be made in different shapes (obviously) but we have tried to make a paralell sided boat look good and the best way was to have a sloping sheerline, we hope the finished hull looks as good.

The noise in the shed was me! I have been sweeping, scrapping and tipping rubbish all week, we are getting some space in there now, I did see you were there then not there the other day

This is going to sound like a quiz question but it's one I don't know the answer to. In what year was the last Richardsons designed & built hire craft launched? (Just wondering what the gap between that & these latest boats will be)

Hi Simon,

when we finished moulding at Catfield (about 1980) we layed up a hull mould to preserve it, I am not sure which boat is was but it was either a 35 or 42. In 1985 we decided to make use of it and moulded a superstructure, it did not fit as the hull had shrunk over an inch!

I will find out which one it was but I am sure we still have her at Acle as we have never sold any of the Horizons we built for ourselves.

To answer your question I recon it will be 25 years by the time we build one

the first was 'Just Jane' built about 1948 (60 years)

A bit more on the above..

'Just Jane' and 'Wayfarer' built 1948 and launched/ let 1949

'Spring Horizon' (first Horizon 35') built 1976 and let from Easticks 1977 with total 7 x Horizon 35'

Clear Horizon 1 was a 35' cut in half and lengthened to make the mould for the Horizon 42'

'Bright Horizon 3' (Horizon 35') was the last one completed, she was built at Acle about 1986

'Spring Horizon' (first Horizon 35') built 1976 and let from Easticks 1977 with total 7 x Horizon 35'

Clear Horizon 1 was a 35' cut in half and lengthened to make the mould for the Horizon 42'

'Bright Horizon 3' (Horizon 35') was the last one completed, she was built at Acle about 1986

mmm Horizons :grin: Clive have you come across any slides when they were building the horizons ???

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice slice

Clive, Did the lengthened boat go back into service, or did she get a new hull from the finished mould?

I've heard of cut and shunt on cars but never before seen it on a boat....

yes she did, Clear 1 is a 42 foot boat (now)

http://www.horning.org.uk/boatsearch.ph ... current=no

not bad for a 29 year old hireboat?

Also Bright Horizon 3 was built in 1986. (last 35')

Fascinating stuff, Clive thanks for that. Next time I see Clear Horizon 1 I'll look at it in an entirely different way! I've always thought the layout on the 42s is a bit strange with both cabins in the middle & both washrooms at the stern. I assume the washrooms are effectively converted cabins from the 35 foot or maybe I'm wrong?

Hi Simon,

the problem with the Horizon 35/42 was that the hull had too much shape, too much space was lost at the chine and the transom curved inwards from the middle which lost the vital inches aft but some do have cabins aft.

yes she did, Clear 1 is a 42 foot boat (now)

http://www.horning.org.uk/boatsearch.ph ... current=no

not bad for a 29 year old hireboat?

Also Bright Horizon 3 was built in 1986. (last 35')

There was a Clear Horizon moored just down from Hunters when Loops and I took the dogs out before the BBQ on Sunday. I couldnt see any way of telling which one and don't remember the BA number but if it was Clear Horizon 1 I couldnt see the joins!