Richardsons RC45 and RC35

lucky it is not high enough for the working at height regulations to cut in :grin:

I think you may be surprised. Working at height is nowadays considered to be anything over 2 feet! Most flat bed trailers the deliver steel to site now need to have fall arrest systems fitted when unloading.

I'm thinking trampolines may be better though. If anyone falls, at least they can bounce straight back up to the job to minimise down-time :lol:

Getting on well Clive, but I still haven't seen a photo of the 8 foot removable section

that will let you use this to make the mould for the 42 and the 35.

Or is it going to be a chain saw cut...

Not quite the straight bathtub design that let your ancestors lengthen Clear Horizon 1.

Martin

Hi Martin,

Yes, we get the chainsaw out, then the screws and glue, then the filler.

we only need to make good about 4 feet of the hull side, the bottom is the same.

here is a picture of the 10 feet we will remove, since this photo we have made the keel paralell all the way back.

post-503-136713610979_thumb.jpg

Hi Jonny,

I dont know about Lloyds regulations but they dont apply to broads boats, generally parts of the hull have a double coat of gel (bows, chines, corners etc) then there is a fairly standard layup wich is controlled by the layers of fiberglass which are applied while laying up the hull, the layers are put on in sheets so it is fairly easy to regulate. If this means anything to you the thicknesses are basically...

Hull bottom, 11 ounces,

the keel is overlapped from each side of the hull bottom to give 22 ounces.

the chine is normally 11 ounces,

and the hull sides are about 9 ounces.

there is a thought that the pigment in the gelcoat makes it porus so some dont pigment under the waterline but it is antifoued anyway so it does not matter.

I have probably got something there wrong as not everyone does things the same.

Clive is there anychance you would let me see if i could lift it :naughty::naughty:

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice slice

yes you could have a go at lifting the empty hull jonny but I suspect your arms will be left a little longer than when you started, I think an empty hull and superstructure would weigh about 4 tonnes.

if you wanted to try and lift the mould then that will probably weigh more than that on its own as it will have a double layer of gel all over and 22 ounces (i think) all over then loads of cardboatd tubes fiberglassed onto it and then a steel frame and cradle fixed to it.

yes you could have a go at lifting the empty hull jonny but I suspect your arms will be left a little longer than when you started, I think an empty hull and superstructure would weigh about 4 tonnes.

if you wanted to try and lift the mould then that will probably weigh more than that on its own as it will have a double layer of gel all over and 22 ounces (i think) all over then loads of cardboatd tubes fiberglassed onto it and then a steel frame and cradle fixed to it.

Hay Clive if you could lift half the mould then thats an achievement.

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice slice

I may have over egged the weight of the boat, hull and s'structure would be about 3 tonnes and the hull mould perhaps 2 tonnes....

anyway, here are some more photos,

you can see the holes where the screws came out, some have been primed ready for the filler so that it does not rattle out while being sanded. The transom corners are having a few coats of the primer as it is fairly high build and is the best way to get the shape right.

as you can see, the plugmakers are a funny breed and do not like their photos being taken.

post-503-136713611272_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713611295_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713611317_thumb.jpg

Wow Clive, that's got nearly as much filler in it as one of your old boats :lol:

Hi Mark

Personally i think thats better i dont like a boat where the hull looks to thin for example i like a hull to be like the bounty traveler looks like it made to do the job.

Jonny ice sliceice slice

not posted much as sanding filler isnt all that interesting :yawn:

Tomorrow (fingers crossed)we are set to paint the hull in a high build paint ready for sanding off before we paint it again sand and polish ready for making the mould..

I took these photos this evening, you can see some of the shape the hull has also more modifications to the hull we did were to make the keel paralell as mentioned before, the cut out for the skeg was also put in now as we will use an upside down piece of channel with a bearing for the rudder. The major alteration was the addition of the stringers, these were put on the outside as it would have lost headroom inside wheras now we can just add a bit too it to make the floor bearers. some boats do not have these and the large flat areas of hull can get a bit flappy where unstrengthened.

you can see that all the sharp corners have either been rounded off or radiused with filler.

post-503-136713618533_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713618559_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713618591_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713618862_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713618888_thumb.jpg