Lightning Strikes Again

We have friends in their 80’s & 90’s who wouldn't have the slightest idea what an app is (or even mobile phone for that matter) but they love to receive a simple post card.

Also it's so much more personal and it shows that someone cares. 

As an aside, I've just recently been looking through some old letters, postcards,diaries and photographs that my Grandfather sent home during the war .... Thiese things are part of history .... Makes me feel so proud.... What will happen to today's memories I wonder.

one entry from his diary read " presented to the King" as if it happened everyday..... I had no idea that this had happened 

Sorry, going off topic a bit here

• Like 4

Day 12,  Wednesday and although it`s not a day we particularly enjoy, being the day we come home, we still wake up to a lovely view of the River Yare at  Brundall. We get up early as there`s still packing to do, along with showers, breakfast, and that final clean. It`s a nice sunny morning, so we get all the above done and dusted, and have a final clean down of the inside, vacuuming and polishing, dusting etc etc, it`s what we have to do on a syndicate boat. Unless of course you use the commercial cleaning service, which we don`t. I prefer to leave Lightning as i would like to find her, and if their`s any problem with the standard of cleanliness, it`s down to us, which we will endoavour to do better next time. That said, we`ve never had any complaints from other members, so we must be doing something right.  With all the cleaning done, we fill up the water tank, and then have the pumpouts and deisel filled. Not a bad cost this time, baring in mind we`ve been cruising for a week and a half, and with two pumpouts, we get charged £120 ish, and that includes Brooms discount for berthholders.  While doing last minute packing and cleaning, i sea a distinctive looking boat coming down the Yare. It`s none other than our very own "Ranworth Breeze". I know Alan and Tan are aboard, so i give them a hearty wave, and wish bon voyage.  With the servicing done, we have to turn Lightning around so she`s facing out to the river, as it`s easier for the next members to access, as the stern door are away from the river, in the shelter of the basin, and the upper helm access is landward, which also makes connecting up the sparks much easier. There`s no heavy cavble hanging over the cabin top, much cleaner, and much safer.  With Lightning all tied up and ready for the engineer to do his work it`s time for us to leave.  Lightning is`nt being taken over by other members today, as it`s wednesday, and although they are allowed to, i offered the time remaining for maintainance, and it gives Brooms engineers ample time to install an extra two domestic batteries, which will give us plenty of extra reserve power for wild mooring. We all agreed for this, as with our new engine, came two higher output alternators, so charging is`nt a problem. Mabe we`ll make good use of the extra ampage when aboard in November.  We can`t delay anymore, and Trev and Maria make a move off home after saying our goodbyes, and we stay take one last look through the cupboards etc to make sure we have`nt left anything behind, and i take a look at how my DIY skills have turned out. Not bad, but will be better when finished. which i will hopefully be able to do in November.  We finaly get underway, and as usual get caught for ages at the rail crossing. At around 11am, we`re finally on our way home. It`s a nice sunny day, and hopefully we`ll have a trouble free run all the way. However, we`re cruing down the outside lane of the A11, when i recognise a familiar car, it`s Trev and Maria, who i thought would be going a different way via the A140, but had decided to try the A11 / M11 after my recommendation. Thank god for mobile phones, Karen phoned them and asked if they would like to join us for lunch at four wentways just south of Cambridge. It`s a regular watering hole for us, so thought it would be nice to have a last lunch together, which is exactly what we did.  With lunch had, it was our final farewells, and off home. I was expecting heavy traffic on the M25, and at the begining of the M3, but no, we had an amazingly clear trouble free run all the way just stopping at the services at the top of the M3, and then a final run all the way to home. We got home around 4.15pm, and as usual, did all the unpacking, washing and also had to get things ready for a return to work the following day. Unlike a weekend, there`s no Sunday to chill out, or see the in-laws. 

So that was it, another great holiday on Lightning, but what made this one extra special was that although the weather was`nt perfect, we had mainly dry sunny, but breezy days, so hopefully, when we`re back in November, the weather gods will give us some of the dry sunny weather we had last year. Untill then,

Good evening all, and see you next time.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Matt said:

How many batteries does Lightening have?

Thunder has 1 engine, two domestic and two for the invertor. We have two alternators.

I`m not exactly sure Matt, but i think we`re the same now. I don`t know how big each battery is, but we have one starter, one for the fridge, one for the inverter, and now 2 new domestic. However, i`m not 100% sure of that.