Lightning Strikes Again

Day 6,  Thursday,  We wake up to a morning of broken cloud, patchy sun, and a light Breeze.  Tomorrow we need an early start for Acle, as we`re meeting my Brother Trev and his partner Maria, so we don`t want to go too far beyond bridges etc, so we`ll be heading for Wroxham, I really wanted to do Dilham, which in hindsight, and events that happen tomorrow would have been the sensible thing, but more about that tomorrow. We`ve bought the new 12v tv with us, which is going to be added to Lightnings inventory, and i`ve already had an abortive attempt at fitting it, due to difference in she shape of the back casing, so we have to go into Stalham to visit the hardware / tool shop. First however,  it`s breakfast, engine checks, and then to Richardsons showers for a shower in plenty of space, without getting the whole toilet compartment soacked. Now i know why i like a seperate shower cubicle, which is what Lightning has, but it goes off the central community area, which is`nt exactly convenient in mixed company.  With showers had, and everything done, it`s off to the town, where i buy some tools to fit the tv up. And then to Tescos to stock up with provisions, as we now know we`ll have family for the rest of the holiday. With tools and shopping bought, it`s back on Lightning, fill the water tank, cup of tea, and away.  The weather has brightened up considerably as we cruise the stretch between Stalham / Sutton Dyke to Barton broad, and i remark how beautiful the Ant is in this sort of weather, as this is what cruising the Ant is all about. Not a ripple on the water, with reflections everywhere,  and the sun dappling through the trees, It`s nothing less than Magical, and we`re in our element.  As we reach Barton Broad, we notice it`s quite busy with a real mix of cruisers and yachts enjoying the open water breeze. On down through Irstead, and as usual, the short mooring there is full, i`ve NEVER seen it empty. We carry on down the Ant, and have a peaceful cruise all the way, and emerge into the Bure. We turn right heading for Wroxham, enjoy very much the sme and reach Horning. It`s always nice to cruise through Horning looking at the houses, and as we take the left turn and head away from the main part of the village, we see one of the best riverside gardens on the Broads. It must have taken a lot to keep it that way, as it`s hard enough keeping ou garden half decent, but then maybe the owners are retired, and have time on their hands?, but whatever it is, i do envy them having such a stunning outlook from their lounge.  Onwards and upwards as they say, and before long we`re passing Wroxham broad, and i spare a thought for the two people and a dog a few weeks previous. I hope you`re all enjoying the waterways of heaven?.  Alittle furthe on, and we reach the first height gauge for Wroxham bridge, and it`s clear we`re not going to be able to get under, so will have to moor elsewhere, but where?. I quickly thought of how very much we enjoy mooring at Summercrafts, as it`s a very pretty yard and location, but will they let us moor, as we`re NOT on a hireboat, and it`s Thursday , and Friday is one of their changeover days. Bringing Lightnings 43ft into such a tight space around their yard is just another reminder of how big a boat Lightning is, but we get moored up ok, and i walk round to the office, and very politely stated we don`t have enough room for the bridge, and explain we`re on a private boat, and asked if we could moor for the night, and hook up to their sparks for a fee. I had expected to be refused, but Sue was very polite explaining their changeover day tomorrow, but said we CAN moor, AND hook up for £10, but asked if we would be away before the rush, to which i agreed. Back on Lightning, we pulled her over to another one in the yard to make space for their own boats, and got moored.  It`s gone 4.00pm by now, and i`m thinking about some rope hangers for Lightnings stern, as we have them on the bow, but nothing on the stern, and i don`t like the idea of ropes on deck, being a trip hazard, and there`s also the risk of them being blown overboard in heavy winds, Also, to stop them being blown over, when underway, we always stow them in the aft well, but again, this is a trip hazard, and far less than ideal, so we go to Wroxham Marine, and buy some plastic clip types, but they look a bit small, and they said i could return them in the morning and have a refund, providing i did`nt damage the packing. Then it was a trip to the gift shops where Karen`s in her element. Back onboard, and i decided to do some fishing, and was in company, as several of the houses had people fishing from their quayheading, but i was without success, and had other things to do. We had dinner, and i then set about finally fixing up the new tv. With the tools for the job (okay, they WERE`NT the BEST tools for the job) i finally got the new 12v tv installed, and all is now running fine. I`m not one for football these days, so Karen and i sat down to a dvd . I`m glad i did`nt stay out fising, as not long after dinner, the rain came again, but we`re moored up in a very pretty, and well shelterd spot, so we`re all safe and sound. The dvd ends, and we`re yawning and nodding off before 10pm as usual, so it`s time for bed.

Good night all.

• Like 5

Day 7,  Friday.  We wake up to good weather again, and are aware we have to get to Acle around Lunchtime to meet Trev and Maria, so we are up and about fairly early. and have to return the rope hangers as they`re too small as i`d first thought, but it was worth a try, but alas, i`l have to think of something else, or look for something more to the right size. We decide to have breakfast in the cafe above and to the right of the bridge, but moments before we get going, i recieve a phone call from my Brother. "Where are you he asks"?, "we`re at Summercrafts yard, why where are you" "At Acle bridge" was his reply. I`d wrongly assumed they`d have an easy morning, and get to Acle for lunchtime ish, how wrong i was. We had a quick chat on the phone, "lucky i got a signal) and agreed that we would be away from Wroxham in an hour or so, and see them about 13,00ish, as this was around 09,00. We returned the hangers to Norfolk Marine, had breakfast at the cafe, and called into Jeckells to see if they had an offcut of trimming material for a home project, and then back to the boat.  With engine checks done, water tanks filled, and greatful thanks to Sue with the mooring fee in hand, and we`re off. We have a peaceful and uneventful cruise down the Bure through Horning, but just before we turned up to the main part of the village, i told Karen to get her camera ready, as she wanted to take some pics of that wonderful garden as we pass again. Once through Horning, without any issues, it`s a peaceful cruise down to Acle bridge passing a number of boats on the way, and Karen remarks how busy the rivers seem to be. On the turn round the Bure at Thurne mouth, this stretch of river always takes forever to cruise down, and even longer when people are waiting to meet you. As we approach Acle, we could see there was plenty of space, so picked our spot and turned in. I could`nt see Trev, but as we got Lightnings port bow to the bank, Karen jumped ashore, and i heard a voice helping at the stern, it was our guests for the rest of the holiday.  All tied up, and greetings given, we`re all aboard, and we get there luggage. The kettle went on, and we settle down for a quick cuppa before we take Trevs nice new Jag to Brooms to park up. When we get to Brooms, i show Trev where our mooring is, and then we order a taxi. Our first call was out of luck because of the school run, but they gave us another couple of numbers, the first being our ride back to Acle Bridge, but not for at least 15-20 minutes, so what a great chance to have a swift one in the Yare.  Our taxi arrived in good time and we`re back at Acle in very quick time. It`s amazing that by road, Acle is about 10-15 minutes by road, but many hours by boat. We got back, and the girls (Karen and Maria) had the aft double made up and ready, so we have another quick cuppa and get away. We decide to head back upriver to Womack water, and hopefully get a mooring at the staithe. As we reach  Thurne mouth, we see both "Windsor Bridge" class coming down the Bure, and as we head up the Thurne, they follow us. "I bet they`re going to Ludham" i said, and gradually, the first came by, and went ahead, but the second opted to stay behind us. As we turned into Womack dyke, surely enough, the first of the two Bridgecraft headed us, and the second followed. I told Trev we`d crossed their path several times thist week, and they`ve always been together, so it would make things interesting if there`s only 2 moorings left. As we approached the staithe, surely enough, there were 2 places, being either side of one of Herbert Woods boats, and we were just about to take one, when one of the crews on one of the moored boats shouted that there was a space on the end, so we left the two Bridges to moor almost next to eachother, and had the end spot, but had to disturb a very understanding fisherman.  We got tied up, and thanked the fisherman, who not only accepted we had to moor, but also helped us and took our ropes. I`ve seen arguments about this sort of thing, but this chap was really understanding, and his wife was very pleasant too. So much so, they were telling us how they were considering hiring later in the year, and they`d never done it before, so they did get rather a lot of encouragement from the Lightning crew.  It`s a nice warm and pleasant afternoon, and i asked if everybody would like an ice-cream, but was disappointed to find the shop on the staithe closed at 4.00pm, so we never got one. We`d decided to eat out at the Pub in the village this  evening, and had a really good meal. We all felt rather stuffed when we got back aboard, and watched some tv, and by now, the relaxing Norfolk air was starting to show it`s ability to make people tired. It`s only 9.00pm, and Trev and Maria decide to hit the sack, as they`d been up since around 06.00.  I t`s not much later, and Karen is doing the same, but for me, i decided to stay up, and watch the end of a late evening film. It`s around 11.00pm, and i`m already nodding off, as i did`nt want to miss the end of the film, but end it did, and then it was my turn te retire.

Good night all.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Hockham Admiral said:

What a lovely tale, Neil, and you do put across the holiday feelings so well!    :clap   :clap   :clap

Thanks John, i just hope people don`t get bored with it, as i tend to get carried away, and go through some of the more trivial things, and ramble on.

Day 8, Saturday, and we`re NOT leaving for home for another few days, as through swaps, we managed to get Lightning for 2 consequitve weeks. I`ve never had more than a week on a boat, and this really does feel good, to know we still have plenty of cruising time yet.  We wake up to good weather again, and are all up and around early. Karen and i have a bonus this morning, because Trev and Maria joined us yesterday, we have the added luxury of tea in bed, but soon after we`re up, showered.  We decide to go back into the village and get a paper etc, and had every intention of having breakfast in Al Fresco Tea Rooms, but were not open till 10am, and it was only just after about 09,15, so rather than hang around, or go back to the boat and return later, we`d simply get underway, and have breakfast on the move. Back on board, i went through the engine checks with Trev, as he`s never done them on Lightning. We fill up with water, and get going as soon as possible. We head down Womack dyke, and out into the main river heading for Gt Yarmouth, and we`re going with the tide, so it won`t be too long before we`re down the Bure. We head down past Thurne Windpump, and i point out how bad the left hand moorings have got, and am surprised to see several boats moored on them.  A litlle further on, and i decided to tackle a few of the maintanance jobs to do on Lightning. First off was to rub down and re varnish some oak trim over the upper helm companionway door, most of which i`d done earlier in the week, as it`s looking very grey. I bought loads of sanding paper, a tin of varnish, brushes etc, with a plan on doing the hatch trim only, having already fitted the new tv. However, having rubbed down and re varnished the outside already, all i needed to do, was to do the inside piece, and that was all. However, my exuberance got the better of me, and before long, i`d moved from the hatch to the galley doors. It`s something that has been discussed recently between the owners, but i offered to give it a go when we`re back up in November, but i got a bit carried away,  sanded down part of the right hand door, which after many years of water etc being splashed on it, was looking a bit worse for ware, much like the hatch trim. This was quite a time consuming job, as it involved getting into several small grooves and ball nose strips etc, but i plugged away, and got the top and leading edge done, as these were the worse ones.  I did`nt realise how long it took, untill i looked up and realised we were cruising through Gt Yarmouth. I missed Acle  and Stokesby without even realising it. Still, i do get a lot of pleasure out of sanding and re varnishing, as i like working with wood. I don`t know if others feel the same as me, but when you`ve got a rough and worn piece of wood, and then you take a lot of care to sand it down through the grades, to a very smooth finish, then apply a coat thinned varnish so it brings the effect of the grain out in amazing colours, the resulting finish, after several coats is amazing.

As we pass the Yacht station, i realise the tide is still going out, and it`s going to be a long slog across Breydon, something i thought we would miss, but i got my calculations wildly wrong. We hit the main channell in Breydon, and wallop, it`s like hitting a brick wall. After coming quickly down the Bure at 1,500 revs, about 4.5mph, it`s up to 2,100, and very slow progress. It`s pleasing at this time to think of Lightnings new engine, which inspires a lot of confidence. At this stage, we`ve been chugging across Breydon for about half an hour, when i looked back, and we were still fairly near to the lift bridge, so it was a good time to put the kettle on, and take a seat. We continue on a long and laborious slog all the way across Breydon, and up the Yare, and eventually reech Reedham. I was surprised at how fast the tide was still running out, and went very slowly, even though we were still reving at 2,100, which we`d been doing all the way. We pass by the quay, and decided to press on for Loddon, as we wanted to take Trev and Maria to the Raj for a curry. When they were last on the Broads with us (2 years ago on Maffett Cruisers "Kestrel") we had our last nights meal in there, and Trev said he always wanted to go back, so Loddon was our destination for the night, but, would we get in?.  After passing Reedham ferry, and rounding the bend, there was the mouth of the Chet, and no more strong tides, so we can give Lightnings engine a break. We enter the Chet, and have a really peaceful cruise all the way up, but as we pass Pyes mill, it`s clear there`s a meet in progress, as there`s a gazebo on the bank, and full moorings. As we pass the boats, i noticed one that i recognised, it was "Sally B", aka forumite "Flying Fortress", aka Rod (aka Ramrod lol) and Shirley, but they`re obviously busy talking to friends ashore, as we don`t see them on their boat. With Pyes mill full, i`m not holding out much hope for the quay, but as we arrive, surprisingly, there`s still a number of moorings available, so we get moored up imediately in front of the sparks, AND, there`s one with 85p still on it, so we got a mooring with free electricity. After such a long slog from Gt Yarmouth, i could imagine Lghtnings engine breathing a sigh of relief, a BIG sigh at that too.  We get the sparks connected up, and i take thopprtunity to fill up with water, as i do at any opportunity.  We settle down, and decide on an early meal in the Raj, so before long, it`s 6.00pm, and we head off for a curry, and as usual, it`s excellent, but we`ve ordered too much (again) and bring the rest back to Lightning for lunch tomorrow.  There are still a number of moorings left, and a few boats come into the basin, but turn around and head out, was it something we said?.  We settle down and watch tv, and as usual, about 9,30pm, Trev and Maria retire for the night, and Karen and i do the same shortly afterwards, but not before i swithch on the galley light, and again admire my handywork, i`ve still got to give it a coat of varnish though, and this i`l do later on before we leave later in the week. Karen and i are in the process of retiring for the night, and i see a big flash. I look around, and a minute or so there was another, but it was`nt just a flash, it was a spectacular streak of Lightning going from one side of the sky to the other. An amazing sight, as there were many flashes over a 10-15 minute period, but very little Thunder. However, litlle did we know, we`d see Thunder later in the week, moored at Worlingham staithe on the Waveney Ha ha,

Good night all.

• Like 6

Day 9, Sunday.  We`re not in any hurry to get up and away, we never are when afloat, but today, we`re waking up in Loddon, and that means only one thing,.........Breakfast at Rosie Leas.  As usual, Caroline greets us as normal, and this time there`s four of us, and Caroline is pleased to see my brother again, but has never met his partner Maria, and gives her am big hug.  We have a leisurely breakfast, and say our farewell to Caroline until November, and go into the shop next door.  With shopping done, it`s back to Lightning, and we soon have the engine checks done, and the water tank is filling, when i see a familiar boat come into the basin. It was Ramrod again (aka Rod, Flying Fortress) and as i`m busy disconnecting the sparks, and winding up the cable, we watch him bring Sally B in with precision, now however, he`s no more called "Ramrod", and deservedly so. As he and Shirley get moored up, i catch his attention and point out our NBN burgee on the aft cabin top.  He walks over, and we meet again after some 4 years, it`s always good to reaquaint yourselves with old friends.  After a brief chatr, the subject turned to Football, and Rod then announces he is from Wales origionally, and is currently a happy man, and so he should be, as the Wales team put certain other National teams to shame. Trev being a football fan got chatting, and before long, it was time to make a move.  We get underway and have a peaceful cruise down the Chet, apart from when coming toward one of the Windsor Bridge class (again) and the guy on the helm must have tought we were a complete bunch of novices, as he proudly shouted to us, "watch your stern does`nt swing out", and we`re going in a straight line?. I won`t tell you what the reply was.  Once out in the Yare, and we`re pushing the tide again, but once through Reedham, we turned and headed down the New cut for Beccles where the tide will be in our favour. The cruise up the Waveney was very peaceful, and uneventful, just what ANY cruise SHOULD be really. As we head down towards Oulton Dyke, i`m keeping a wary eye out for a well known forumite in a Drascombe, but to ne avail. Probably been out in the early hours enjoying the river at its most peaceful?. We have a really peaceful and relaxing cruise all the way up to Beccles, and because we`re going with the tide, we can keep the revs down, especially after yesterdays hard work pushing the tide across Breydon.  We reach Beccles, and we see some classic boats in Hippersons yard, one of which was MTB 102, and another, the old lifeboat featured in a thread on the forum. The best thing though was as we arrived at the quay, i noticed a familiar looking boat. It was none other than Captain Joshie again. This time however, after paying the mooring fee, and getting a splitter for the sparks. i went and said hello properly, and had a chat with him, and his good Lady, not to mention the ships dog. We moored next to one of Brooms finest, and discovered the guy on board (with his good lady) worked at Brooms, and knew all about Lightning, so we had a good chat with him too. The girls wandered off only to come back with ice creams for all, and we sat down and chilled for the rest of the day.  A little bit later in the evening, i wandered along to the end of the quay, and noticed a Bucaneer 37, but payed no real attention to it, but would do so the following morning for good reason.  It`s a really beatiful evening, with clear skies, and i decided to take some photos, as these are always the evenings you remember most. As the evening draws to an end, we`re all getting tired, and looking forward to good nights sleep. There`s something about the Norfolk air that always makes you want to dose off, could it be the air, or is just the feeling of being afloat?. Whatever it is, if you could bottle it, you`d soon be a millionaire.

Good night all.

• Like 5

Day 10, Monday.  We wake up to a lovely sunny morning, and have breakfast on board.  After Breakfast, we discover the toilet gauges are reading orange again, and think of where to get them pumped out, as we`ll be on Lightning for another few days, and did`nt want to risk filling them before the end of our holiday. It was both toilets, so it was a double pumpout, but where, there are no more hire fleets down here, but i know you can still get pumpouts at Darby`s quay, so i walked round, but was out of luck, due to the quay heading at the pumpout bay being replaced. The guy in charge told me Hippersons would do it, so i went around to arrange it, and was told to come back in an hour or so, by which time, MTB102 and co would have gone, so it was back to Lightning. It was`nt long after i got back when we heard the starting of some seriously meaty engines, yes MTB102 was making her way out of Hippersons, and into the main river, and i just HAD to get some photos. I got my camera, and walked along to the edge of the quay, took several photos, and noticed the name on the back of the Buccaneer 37 i saw the previous evening. It was "Gan Canny", another name known to several of us on the forum. So i asked a guy on the water tap if it was his, it was, i was talking to yet another forumite who i`d never met.  We said our goodnyes, and i headed back to Lightning, as i needed a shower.  i had a shower in the yacht station block, and get a good long shower, little did i know they were waiting back onboard for me so they could go shopping for some supplies. We all have a walk into the town, and get some supplies, and look for some gift shops to take home to family and friends. Has anybody else noticed how FEW gift shops there are on the Broads now?. It`s getting nearly impossible to find simple things like biscuits etc.  We get back to Lightning, get the engine checks done, disconnect the sparks, and retuen the splitter to the Harbour master, with our thanks. We get underway, and gently make our way into Hippersons yard, and get our pumpout. At least we know we won`t fill the loos in the last few days. While in here, we get chatting to a gentleman who helped us moor up, and i find out he`s the new owner of a boat i hired many times from Maffett Cruisers. The boat in question was none other than my old favourite, "Kingfisher". With pumpouts done, it`s time to cast off, and get going, and we have a leisurely cruise down the Waveney, where i notice a familiar shape at Worlingham staithe....... it was our sistership "Thunder", but when passing, we did`nt see any sign of life aboard, it must have been them fishing from the staithe?. We carry on, and our destination for the night is Reedham, but seeing ad the rivers have been surprisingly busy this week, we hope we can get in.  We have a really lovely cruise in good weather all the way to the top of the New cut, and notice there`s still plenty of space to moor, and pick up a mooring away from the sparks, good job we have several leads, as we have two running along the quay heading, and the best bit, there`s yet another socket with nearly a pound left on it, so that was ours for the night. We got moored up, ably assisted by the quayranger, and got engaged ina conversation with a guy from the Lord Nelson. We had hoped to go in for a meal, but it was still a month or so away from opening. Then, i realised i was talking to the owner, a guy called Mike Higginson, who ws a one time share owner in Lightning. He invited us in to have a look at the place, and i have to say, although it`s taken them a long time, it looks like it`s going to be really good, with a lot of investment gone into updating and improving. I wish him well, and we tell him we`ll see them in November.  After our chat with Mike, we go into one of the few remaining gift shops, the Post office at Reedham, but it`s up for sale, and i hope whoever buys it will run it the same as it is?.  Back on Lightning, and we decide to go to the Ship for a meal. We ate at the Ship two years previous, and the food was excellent, so we had good expectations this time.  However, things did`nt live up to expectations, and the food, athough perfectly acceptable, was`nt as good as two years previous, and we came away a little, but only a little, disappointed. Never mind, i suppose it can happen to any establishment.   We have a walk back to Lightning, and as we`re standing on the quay, i notice Gan Canny again, and go and have another chat, and then return to a coffee and the tv. It`s been a really good day, and the weather has been great. As is the norm, 10pm arrives, and we`re all ready for bed. We`re back to Brundall tomorrow, as we have to return early for a wedding on the Saturday, so we decided a while back to finish midweek, saving two days of our annual holiday, adding them to three other days saved during other holidays, which gives us another five days. That`s our week in November sorted.  But for now, i`s time for bed.

Good night all.

• Like 6

Great write up.

I know what you mean about gift shops. Mum who is 85 still likes to send a few post cards and the last couple of years it's been really difficult to get hold of them.....suppose no one bothers these days as they are permanently on social networks 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Neil,

When are you down in November?

We are on the boat from the 22nd.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

we`re down for a week from the 5th November, do you, or anybody else for that matter know of any public firework displayson that day? lol.  Seriously though, this is the third year in a row our Autumn week has been the last in our Autumn season, which is why we need a change in the system. At our AGM in June, where we picked our allocations for NEXT year, i told Karen to pick ours, and she picked some really great weeks. Our Spring week is in April, our Summer week was in Aughust which we swapped for late June, and our Autumn week is Karens Birthday, October the 8th. The October start day is our revised AGM day, so will be a late arrival, and probably be staying in the yard.

Back to this November, we`ll be there from the 5th, so if for any reason you are down at the yard, please come and say hello.

11 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Hi Alan,

we`re down for a week from the 5th November, do you, or anybody else for that matter know of any public firework displayson that day? lol.  Seriously though, this is the third year in a row our Autumn week has been the last in our Autumn season, which is why we need a change in the system. At our AGM in June, where we picked our allocations for NEXT year, i told Karen to pick ours, and she picked some really great weeks. Our Spring week is in April, our Summer week was in Aughust which we swapped for late June, and our Autumn week is Karens Birthday, October the 8th. The October start day is our revised AGM day, so will be a late arrival, and probably be staying in the yard.

Back to this November, we`ll be there from the 5th, so if for any reason you are down at the yard, please come and say hello.

Hi Neil,

We have moored in the Beccles Yacht Station in the past on November the 5th but any major display over the water is fantastic if there is little or no  cloud cover.

As I mentioned earlier we are not down until the 22nd November but we may stop in the area after our AGM on the 19th November at the Hotel Wroxham.

Sharon & Jim are on the boat from the 8th of November.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Day 11,  Tuesday.   We wake up but are in no hurry to get anywhere fast, as this is our last day, and we`ll be taking Lightning back to Brooms this afternoon. I don`t want to be late, as we have to pick up a cushion that was retrimmed by customcraft, and i`m in the hunt for some grey fabric for a home job, and have`nt been able to find it anywhere. We have a leisurely breakfast, and go to the gift shop for a final few things for people at home. We have to fill up with water, but none of the hoses are long enough. Luckily, the boat moored ahead has just got underway, so all we do is untie the ropes, and let the incoming tide push her forward. While filling the water tank, i disconnect the sparks, and Trev does the engine checks. Wr`re not in any hurry, so by the time we get things done, it`s past 10am, and we decide to make a move, because as mentioned above, i have a mission to accomplish when we return to base, AND, something i`ve always wanted to do is to anchor in Surlingham Broad for lunch. The cruise up the Yare was really peaceful, with a surprising number of boats, both hire and private, and we notice most of the hire boats are from the Northern yards, which again begs the question, with so many boats filling the quays at Beccles, Loddon, Reedham etc etc, why are there hardly any hire fleets left on the southern rivers?. It`s great in some respects, because it makes the rivers that bit more quiet, and there`s always somewhere to moor, but, it also means there`s less yards to offer services, like pumpouts and fuel, or even just minor emergency work etc. We pass the sugar factory, and see the moorings are reasonbly busy, and soon pass the mouth of Langley dyke. We`ll probably be down there in November. Before long, we`re passing the dykes to Rockland, and we soon reach Brundall. It`s not even noon, so we decide to carry on up river for a while. We`re up past the Surlingham Ferry House, and it`s quite busy for a weekday, and i notice how it looks like it`s leaning over?,  quite carachterful. A little further round, and we`re near the long right hand bend which seems to finish by the Water Edge,, but we`re not that far up, so decide to turn around and head back for lunch at anchor in Surlingham broad. We reach the upper entrance to the broad and make our way in, i look behind, and from what seemed like nowhere was suddenly Evening Shadow, and one of Silverlines boats close behind. Out into mid broad, and we pick a sheltered spot in the lea of the North bank sheltering us from the wind.We came through Surlingham on the way up, and could see it had a few boats already anchored. One of them was Albion, and had what looked like a senior citizens group aboard.  We get lunch underway, and sit down and enjoy the peace and quiet, and i`m thinking about an overnight in here some time in the future, hopefully when the wind finally gives our holidays a rest, as everytime we`ve been on Lightning, it gets windy, sometimes VERY windy, and this week was the same.  We`re all busy engrossed in books, puzzles, or whatever, and i look up to see Albion has just vanished. I did wonder if they`d all been abducted by space aliens, (only kidding lol)  but several seconds later, Albions big black sail emerged from behind a tree. I really wanted to dsee her getting underway. We`re at anchor for an hour or so, and decide we`d better make a move, as i wanted to get to Customcraft.  We raise the mudweight, and i`m reassured that anchoring overnight should`nt be any problem as she held well in what wind did catch us, and we were swinging around on the weight quite considerably. As we move off, we head for the southern exit, as by now the tide is ebbing, and we`ll be able to use it when mooring up.  We arrive at Brooms, and as always, i feel sad that, although we`re here for another night, we`ll be returning home in the morning. We get tied up, and get hooked up to the sparks, and Trev and  i go to Customcraft, where to my joy, they have almost exactly what i want. I say almost, as it`s not EXACTLY, but pretty close enough. They also let me take the seat cusshion that`s been retrimmed, and they`ve done a good job, so thumbs up to Customcraft.we get back to Lightning and refit it, and the girls have already started packing up bags etc, and we start loading up the car so we`re not rushing around in the morning. We give Lightning a wash down outside, and i give the windows a clean with proper window cleaner. It`s surprising how glass can easily get marked over time, and i`m wondering why some of the grime won`t come off, it`s a shame, as it`s always nice for the next members to come on to a boat and hopefully have good comments.  Before long, it`s time to get ready for our last evening out, and we`re going to the Huntsman at Strumpshaw, as recommended by John, "Hockham Admiral", and Mary Jane, so our expectations were high, and unlike the Ship the night before, we were NOT disappointed. The food and service were both excellent, so we know where we`ll be eating in November.  We return to Lightning, and have a mixed evening of packing, watching the tv, and cleaning, and before long, the people are yawning, and going to bed. Unfortunately, i did have the intention of doing some varnishing of the galley door, as i`d already sanded it down, but had`nt got round to actually doing the varnishing, so when all were soundly asleep, i got out the varnish and plastic sheets, and set too. It did`nt take long, but it did show how well the galley doors will look when we can finally dedicate the time to do them.  With the varnishing done, it`s my turn to turn in, and i`m ready for a good nights sleep, as there`s still some cleaning and packing to do in the morning.

Good night all.

• Like 5

Postcards -  I got mine in the Mill Shop at The Stracey Arms.   I like to send all of our olduns a postcard.      Most of them are in their 90s and in their day it was the thing you did when you went on your holiday.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Postcards -  I got mine in the Mill Shop at The Stracey Arms.   I like to send all of our olduns a postcard.      Most of them are in their 90s and in their day it was the thing you did when you went on your holiday.

Even for people in their 60s it was the done thing. Back in the 70's, when I had the riverside shop at Burgh St Peter, I sold them literally by the thousand every week. Pictures of Hunsett Mill & Belaugh Church outselling all others by far. The kill was not the cost of the card but the rise in postage. Now folk send a snap using the phones, bit of a shame really.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

The kill was not the cost of the card but the rise in postage. Now folk send a snap using the phones, bit of a shame really.

Agreed 100% JM, posting anything these days can be eye watering. A prepaid stamp on post cards at a special low rate, may have helped resurect the holiday post card. 

Not everything has to be all singing all dancing Apps ! :norty:

cheersIain

• Like 1

Just now, BroadScot said:

Agreed 100% JM, posting anything these days can be eye watering. A prepaid stamp on post cards at a special low rate, may have helped resurect the holiday post card. 

Not everything has to be all singing all dancing Apps ! :norty:

cheersIain

Can be or is eye-watering? Twelve bob or so to send a letter, frightening!

• Like 1

On this occasion I feel that the postage is worth it ten times over.   To give our old folk in the family a bit of pleasure with failing eyes they can look at the picture over and over again in their own time.      Trying to find something of interest to say in the space of not more than a postage stamp comes as a little bit more of a challenge.

Re that post card of Belaugh, this is the one:

$_35.JPG

Considering that my shop was about as far as its possible to be from Belaugh and that probably only a fraction of purchasers actually went there I can only assume that it was regarded as a quintessentially Broadland scene. 

The other big seller was this one of Hunsett Mill:

stalham80s_hunsett03.jpg

Interestingly both feature sailing rather than motor cruisers, I wonder why? 

• Like 3