Our Week On Fair Chancellor

28th July – Day 8

Up early as usual and kettle on for my morning coffee. There were 2 private boats in the little dyke by the shed and I noticed a black and white cat sitting on the quay side next to the Freeman just in front of me. Well, I was outside having a smoke and I saw the cat was in the water at the end of the dyke and was struggling to get out. I got out of the boat and went towards the cat so I could grab it, but it got out on its own. I called the freeman and told the guy what had happened. He picked up the cat and thanked me for taking an interest and warning them. Later, he told me the cat was 15 years old, was now OK and was eating its food, so all was well.

Girls got up and we had a nice big breakfast and as this was the last full day on the boat, we were trying to finish of all the food we had left. No plans for the day, except that we would moor back in the NBD yard tonight. We filled up with water, untied and headed back down the Ant to stop at the little shop at Ludham Bridge. Moorings at the shop side of the river were full, but we got a space on the other side and just walked over the bridge.

Roof and windscreens down and it was through the bridge, down to the Bure and a right turn. Our next stop was to be Salhouse Broad, as the girls knew they hired canoes there and they wanted to try it. No problem with river traffic, although Horning was a bit of a muddle, but nothing more than you would normally expect.

Found a space on Salhouse right next to where they hire the canoes and luckily so, because what spaces that were left filled up quickly and there were still boats coming in. The girls duly hired their canoe (2 seater) and off they went for an hour of paddling around the perimeter of the broad.

At this time, a big Richos centre cockpit came in and tried to moor stern-on beside me – RIGHT IN FRONT OF A SIGN THAT SAID “NO MOORING – SAFETY BOAT ONLY”. Well they ignored the sign and the warning from the lady that hires the canoes. They continued to try and moor and I heard someone on shore say that they would phone the police if they continued to try and tie up. Some swearing and rude hand signals from the boat, before they moved away. A canoe was quickly put in this position to prevent any further attempts to moor.

The girls came back with smiles from ear to ear and we had a beautiful lunch, complimented with a few glasses of red wine for me. It was now late afternoon, so we untied and had a slow pootle up the river to Wroxham, which was very busy with boats waiting for the pilot. We went into the NBD yard where there was loads of space to tie up for the night and Pat (NBD staff) told us exactly where to go. Off to the car for the suitcases and we started to pack our things away (I hate rushing on handover morning as I think it spoils the serenity of the week, so I much prefer to be done the evening before).

Packing was done, except for what we were wearing and clothes for our drive back to Scotland in the morning. The boat was generally cleaned up and the table was set for our last dinner. Chloe and Skye went off to the Chinese chippy for a take away, whilst I had a last check around the cupboards and drawers. (note for anybody who hires this boat – there is loads of suitcase storage under the front beds, which we missed).

A delicious dinner was had by all, the washing up was done and we had a shower before sitting down with a drink or 2 or 3 and watching a bit of TV and off to bed.

• Like 12

29th July – Day 9

We were all up early, packing was finished, beds were stripped with a final clean-up and check around the boat. Suitcases were put in the car whilst we waited for the office to open. Fuel was topped up, refund was given and we were out of the yard by 8.30am

Techy bits

Plus - Nice boat, easy to handle, plenty of living space, plenty of storage space, very comfortable beds, lovely galley, brilliant hot water, good TV system, relatively quiet, easy access, big aft toilet and shower, very good electrics.

Minus – small front toilet and shower, no opening window in the galley, no water tank gauge, no toilet tank gauge, no fuel gauge, toilet sinks access (under side deck).

Fuel – 102 litres for the week, which I think is very good.

Yard – Excellent.

Would we hire it again – DEFFINATELY.

• Like 12

That Eric, was an excellent holiday tale, I must say. If you are on a diet now, I can fully understand why ! :naughty:

Seriously I did not know about the limited TV you are allowed back in Riyadh, but can understand the joy of the hearty Scottish style breakfasts, a rare treat for you all.

Know doubt plans will be afoot for you next trip to Norfolk.

cheersIain

• Like 2

Well done Eric.. Super holiday you all had on the broads .. It's great to hear the blogs reading them and watching Robins blogs... I'm so looking forward to my holiday adventure in 3 weeks time and this year me and her in doors will do a photo write up blog on here .. I will try to do some video but  I'm not sure how to upload on here..  :party:... That can be another adventure  ha ha.. 

Thanks again Eric and glad you all made it back safely..

Mike 

• Like 2

Lovely to read about your time out on the rivers Eric. And it sounds as if your daughters always enjoy coming over too. 

We've hired from NBD and I like the fact that they put boards out reserving spaces in the yard for their own boats returning for handover. That avoids the chaos of turning up to a yard on the last morning and not being able to find anywhere to moor. Although like you we have often gone back to the yard on the last evening.

Hope you have a safe trip back to Riyadh whenever you're set to return.

Eric, thanks again for your write up and your boat review. Boat reviews are always useful, especially as its always good to know things like large bathrooms. I'm intrigued by a couple of your 'minus' comments though. Why would you want a water gauge and a fuel gauge? For water, if you top up every day I think you'd be unlikely to run out and for fuel there's normally enough even for a 2 week cruise.

Hi Simon,

The last few boats I have hired have had the gauges and for me, it's nice to know where you are, so if you don't need, you don't look for it. Carousel was a good example as when I came back after a week, I had less than 20 litres of fuel left, but I knew from the gauge that I had enough.

41 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Why would you want a water gauge and a fuel gauge? For water, if you top up every day I think you'd be unlikely to run out and for fuel there's normally enough even for a 2 week cruise.

Hi Simon,

Like Eric, we had the guages on Broadway, and found them handy to have. The water guage is not a new thing, they were on some boats back in the 70's it was then though a float guage.

The Calypso's also had fuel guages in those days. Not very accurate though !

cheersIain

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonzo said:

think on older boats without the gauges it's bizzarely less of an issue as you just remember to top up whenever you see water and there's less onboard to use it up.

Or as one couple asked when they phoned the boatyard, how many bottles of water do we require to fill the water tank !!! :naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BroadScot said:

Or as one couple asked when they phoned the boatyard, how many bottles of water do we require to fill the water tank !!! :naughty:

cheersIain

I forgot to  add, that is a true story! It happened at the New Horizon yard at Thorpe the old Hearts yard.

cheersIain

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

:wave hi eric, thanks for your lovely blog, just hearing about you eating all that food is making me feel full lol, glad you all had a great time , it's making me wish i was there already , sigh sigh , just three weeks to go & it's dragging lol, it'll feel weird this year being in a houseboat .

ps, sorry you lost your pics, why on earth did they format the memory card ? lol . lori

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Wonderwall said:

Like myself, you seem to cover the miles and be on the move a lot. So many places need visiting is always how I feel!!!!

We clocked up 143 miles one summer holiday! Kept moving to catch a breeze it was soooo hot!

cheersIain