Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

well I spent out and cleared wilkos out of 1" G clamps, I then proceeded to modify a dozen of them to fit between the ribs, as the bottom of the clamp is just a tad wider than the gap between ribs, so the sides at the bottom were ground just a little at each side, now I am able to clamp up in tight spaces. Another rib inserted into place.

IMG_3747.JPG

IMG_3748.JPG

IMG_3749.JPG

• Like 3

Propshafts and P brackets ordered, I am hoping I can adjust a pair of P brackets to form the I bracket that BA has to support her propshaft between the keel and the skeg, if I cut the brass support tube in half, and use 2 - 1 from each side that should form the I beam with the support in the middle - propshafts are 13" with a 6" outer shaft housing, to run from the keel into the hull. various universal couplings and connection inserts also ordered.

• Like 1

Sounds good in theory to me, nowt wrong with your thinking.

BTW - Any moment now I will be in for a rollinking from Mrs G, I am up in our office reading the NBN, with ELO blasting out from the speakers far toooooo loud.  She is home alone downstairs ATT that after cooking a great dinner too.  Sometimes you just gotta live dangerously.  Which I will be doing tomorrow, clay shooting for the forenoon, Tiger riding in the afternoon.  Just need to be onboard 'B.A' to accomplish the Triple Crown

Griff

• Like 1

Well another rib glued and another steamed, after it was glued and cramped up, I noticed a problem, there was a kink in the piece I had just glued, I have added a splint either side and cramped it up, hopefully it will straighten, otherwise it may have to be cut out and replaced as it has now pushed out a fraction elsewhere, if it has it may need another piece laminated into place and shaped down to fit, or be replaced.

It just shows that not everything goes perfect first time.

IMG_3762.JPG

IMG_3759.JPG

IMG_3760.JPG

IMG_3761.JPG

• Like 5

Well clamping it worked, the bulge has gone, another rib has been fitted, and another one bent up, the grain split out a little so some glue was introduced and a wedge added to hold it in place. a very thin offcut was found, held in the steam, then clamped inside at the point I may have to thin a rib down, and then just to see what it lookes like I put a couple of short plank lengths next to the keel, I like the look.

IMG_3763.JPG

IMG_3764.JPG

IMG_3765.JPG

IMG_3766.JPG

IMG_3767.JPG

IMG_3768.JPG

• Like 7

another bit of progress, only 1 more rib and I will be up to the second bulkhead from the back - only about another month and a half of this rate (at 1 rib per day).

its slow progress but I am happy with a little bit of progress each day, as that way it will eventually get done.

IMG_3769.JPG

IMG_3770.JPG

• Like 4

I ordered some bits last weekend, these have now arrived, I was happy to see these when I got home, prop shafts, shaft supports universal couplings and the adaptors for various motors and for the prop shafts. perfect timing as it will be easier to fit the prop shaft now, before the ribs go in and access becomes more restricted, that will be a nice job for the weekend.

IMG_3771.JPG

• Like 4

So, I have stuck the final rib into this section, this always poses a challenge how to clamp it up, as there isnt really any room to get the clamps in, so small packers are used with the ground down clamps to get in there. I have made a guide for where I want the prop shaft to come out, this will be used to guide the drill bit at 4mm, then the hole will be opened out to 1/4" (6.35mm) to take the prop shaft. a wedge of timber will be added inside the keel to extend the distance the prop shaft is contained. this will be held in place temporarily, then drilled, after that the ribs will be fitted, then the wedge cut and fitted around the ribs, redrilled to pierce where the ribs have blocked the shaft hole and the prop shaft fitted. as you can see the motors with gearboxes have the output shaft quite low down, but I will bring the prop shaft out high enough to fit a non gearbox motor as well, as I still dont know what the performance will be like, so I may want to try different options of motor / propellor combinations.

IMG_3772.JPG

IMG_3773.JPG

IMG_3774.JPG

IMG_3775.JPG

IMG_3776.JPG

IMG_3777.JPG

IMG_3778.JPG

• Like 4

What voltage motor are you contemplating, 12v is usual but not very efficient, I used the brushless variety in many model planes with lipo battery packs, they are very efficient, powerful and the batteries last well. The last one I built was this bi plane, even had a smoke generator on board but it had a stinky up front.

0904170020.JPG

• Like 3