Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

Routing I found difficult, probably because the damned machine scared me to death. In the end I went for a powered routing table or spindle maker from axminster tools (on offer at the minute at £150 ish).  Both 1/2 and 1/4 inch collets and I'm now starting to enjoy routing, particularly pattern routing. I just wish router bits with the guide at the end of the cutter were easier to come by. I really got to grips with routing though when I picked up a Makita trim router...so much easier to use.

DSC_0272.JPG

I have to admit, just like Grendel, I learn by my mistakes...there are just more of them hence the spare bits of the step stools I'm making at the minute in every available space. Not so much a dead man's handle more a remote controlled extension lead from B&Q which I plug everything into. I have a separate one for the 50 liter dust extractor so that I can turn it on or off independently.

• Like 1

even mounted in a drill press or a table router in this case would not have helped, I needed the bit horizontal, so I could see the line I was cutting to, while routing. my router only has a momentary switch, so has to be held on to work, while I moved the work along by hand, in this instance I fed to work the wrong way as that gave greater control - though the initial cut caused some splintering out as I advanced the work, rather then the router dragging the work into itself. I really either need to clear out my shed and make it more of a workshop- or converting a section of the conservatory, or something as I use most of my power tools by lugging them into the garden, sitting them on the workmate and then using them, at least there the mess blows away.

As for power tools, I just wait until the appropriate ones are on offer at Lidls, when they last had bandsaws I wasnt needing one, but one would be handy now.

One good note is the new blade I got for the table saw, makes a very good job of cutting the thin bits out, they dont even really require sanding afterward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Timbo, I have to admit to being just a little worried when I saw you'd put up a video titled

Thin strip jig.

I was never keen on the 'Sailors Hornpipe' either.

The days of me managing a thin strip jig are well behind me...but the beer belly two step...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Timbo said:

Thin planks on the table saw Grendel...I made one of these today and managed to get some 5mm veneers cut really easy and of consistent thickness.

mine happily cuts 2.5mm as it is, though it does not have the slots for the guides as the one in your video does.

Right I have been a bit busy, I was planning on building a steaming box, but that would have to wait for the weekend, so I thought about my steam source and tried it without the steam box, 1/4" strip does not need any longer than a few minutes, so it was fairly easy to just hold the steam on the strip, using a steam cleaner as the steam source. I drew round my template on one of my building boards, and set in screws to make a former, and here is the result, it will stay in there until its dried again, then a second one will be made for the other side.

IMG_3968.JPG

IMG_3967.JPG

• Like 3

Griff,That is why I am posting pictures at every stage, so everyone can get involved and watch the progress - even if it comes to 4 days of the same thing I will be trying to document every stage of the process, wait until we steam the ribs - every one will be slightly different

• Like 5

no - there will be no timelapse, I have still to cut the hogs off the timber I did the routing on, that will require a steady hand with the jigsaw, though a bandsaw would be better or a coping saw by hand (the powered fretsaw wont cope with nearly an inch thickness). the next couple of days will be steaming another couple of 1/4" strips now I have the form set up, then it may be time to cut out the hog and plan the cuts in the frames where that and the strips will sit, this weekend is already quite busy, as I have booked to see the new Swallows and Amazons film locally Saturday afternoon, but time will be found to get my timber store in the attic down and handy for working.

3 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

A friend of mine made a steamer by taking the pipe off a wall paper stripper and bunging it in the end of a piece of 2" waste pipe. Was perfect for small jobs.

I use a similar set up to straighten hazel shanks for walking sticks, but it may be a little "industrial " for the planking on the model.

On 25/08/2016 at 7:43 AM, BroadAmbition said:

Like it.  What I don't like is you not living 5 mins away so I can get involved, getting somewhat jealous at this end

Griff

I'm about 25 minutes away and I'm getting jealous

And half that time is getting through Canterbury

If anywhere needs an east west bypass that does

• Like 2

a quick trip to the attic and some of my store of timber revealed. the pine cladding was bought at least 15 years back, because it was cheap, and stored until I needed it - well it will come in handy stripped down to smaller sizes, for ribs and planks. it has literally been waiting for a project like this. I have yet to find the solid bit of timber to create the prow, I do have oak somewhere, and some stuff that came from groynes when they replaced the breakwaters locally - we got some offcuts, then the local sawmill ruined 2 blades cutting them down to useable sizes for us.

4no  8 foot offcuts was about as much as my van could carry, it took 2 of us my size to move each one, they were about 10" x5" as I recall

IMG_3973.JPG

IMG_3974.JPG