Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

well a bit cheesed off at myself, after oh so carefully making sure the joints on the first two pieces were carefully handed, this evening I started work, cut the first windows joints and glued them up, cut the second and glued it up - themn remembered I was supposed to hand the joints, when I checked - of course I had not. anyway I then went on to cut the back pieces out, to the same angle as the front.

as an aside I also tried to fix the old heater fan motor from the car as the replacement I put in 2 years back has started to fail (well I guess a used one will probably be nearly as worn as the old one.) anyway the fan was disassembled,  I somehow think replacing the brushes isnt an option. (see the picture) that copper commutator should be parallel all the way along.

IMG_7377.JPG

IMG_7378.JPG

IMG_7379.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So this morning I unclamped the quarter lights, ran them over the belt sander to clean off the glue, and excess wood, it was then that the accident happened, one of the parts slipped as I was cleaning the glue off the face.

30 minutes later I had the belt sander stripped down and could access the part, of course the part went round with the belt and was sucked into the outlet for the dust. anyway, once retrieved the part fits in place - the height still needs trimming, but they fit nicely. the rear roof will have to be trimmed around the folding section.

IMG_7380.JPG

IMG_7381.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, grendel said:

do you think I can skim it on the lathe? :default_norty:

Don't think there's enough meat on it. Plus the insulation between the segments looks to have fried too. Problem with manufacturers getting their coefficiency of friction wrong and using too hard a carbon in the brushes , plus too strong a spring. Had a recall on one motor years ago, as they were failing in the same way.

on this motor there are 4 brushes, hitting the commutator off centre, that said this is 18 years worth of wear, the brushes are about minimum, so I think the manufacturers would say they got it about right. the problem is any used ones will be the same age, and new ones are expensive, and not worth it as the car probably wont get another 18 years with me putting over 30,000 miles a year on it.

as far as the model goes, I was trimming one of the quarter lifghts when the piece I was trimming off disappeared into the bandsaw, its my day for losing parts into tools. so next job - find the missing part, then it will be hinge fitting time.

This is getting silly now, fitting hinges, the screws provided (small nails really) have heads that are too tall to let the hinged parts sit together properly, so had to be ground down. the first folding window is finished and fit in place. I bought some 0.8mm pcb drill bits and they are great for drilling a pilot hole for the pins. 2 hinges took me nearly an hour, the hinges were seated in carefully filed slots in the frames, these hinges are only less than 1/4inch long. (5mm)

IMG_7382.JPG

IMG_7383.JPG

IMG_7384.JPG

IMG_7385.JPG

IMG_7386.JPG

IMG_7387.JPG

• Like 2

well I had cut out the sections for behind the windows, however, when I came to cut the hinges I had a rethink, and glued up some more strip to remake them with the grain running horizontal, not vertical, vertical grain was causing the thin section at the bottom to break, the grain needs to be running horizontal.

• Like 1

So, just a little more, I have added some additional storage on the wall, I have another 5 of these wall panels, though the pots here should be spread over 2 panels, on the model I have added the external beam on the rear roof, that the rear of the canopy attaches to.

IMG_7390.JPG

IMG_7391.JPG

• Like 2

at the boot fair this morning, a rare find, one of the smaller artists figures, this one perfect for 1/12 scale (you will remember my previous ones came out at a scant five foot) a set of marples chisels and an air compressor added to the haul.

this morning I have constructed a second cradle to support the models, this is now sitting waiting for the glue to dry.

IMG_7397.JPG

IMG_7398.JPG

IMG_7399.JPG

IMG_7400.JPG

Of course without certain features, Broad Ambition just would not be herself, so today a pewter tankard sacrificed itself to create this, I got my metal gravers out (minute chisels for metalwork, jewelry mostly) and set to work. I decided not to try carving out the detail in the shield, and opted for paint, now waiting for the red background to dry, then will come the white circle, followed by the blue star.

IMG_7401.JPG

• Like 4

Well I had just finished painting the star on the bow plate, when I had a 'hang on a minute ' moment, so I checked my reference book, and yes - I will be overpainting again with white, and then I will paint the correct 5 pointed star.

IMG_7402.JPG

• Haha 1

I am still thinking of the glass - it will be clear plastic, the only way I would get bits of glass small enough would be to drop a sheet and hope some of the bits happened to be the right size. on the back is the easy way, but I will think on it.