Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

I will have to see how it steams, as I am thinking to make the rubbing strakes for both models out of it too, sanded up and varnished that should look good. though I dont think I will get them onto Model #1 before Beccles. 

i have really been surprised at how much detail I have been able to add to the model in these last few weeks, just a few more bits to add and I will be happy, I think one of my best inspirations was the 0.8mm stainless steel pins, these have been used pretty much anywhere screws would have been used (though I have to admit defeat where counterbores and wood plugs would have been added over the screw heads - like the toe rails for example). the pins can be pushed through and the tips trimmed then about 1/16" bent over and hammered in to the other side to make a secure fastening. when using these I drill a 0.7mm hole in the wood, which gives a good tight fit, then hammer the pins in.

• Like 1

Peter, just do what you can at your leisure, there ain't no rush (I'm sure I've stated this before now), oh and no need to bring model #2 with you either (Well that is to say no requirement from us anyroadup)

Proper looking forward to seeing model #1 and having some photo's of it onboard 'B.A'

Griff

• Like 1

Charlie, You know how it is, I am sure it was the same with Broad Ambition (full size) that you wanted to get bits done before you took her out and put her on show.

there are a whole bunch of things that wont get done on the models before they come up to Beccles, painting decks and roofs, varnishing woodwork, etc I have got some teak stain on some of the woodwork, and that gives it a better colour, but as you found it can still be a little streaky. I will be happy when I have some deck fittings attached, for that I need my drills to arrive so I can drill the stainless plates, to mount the fairleads onto front and back.

• Like 1

tonight, a bit of this a bit of that, a plate made to go onto the bow decorative teak piece, and mounting of the cleats. the more of these details I add the better she looks. so I tried a bit f aluminium tube I hd - a much better size I think.

IMG_7455.JPG

IMG_7453.JPG

• Like 1

yes it was all the old images that had not transferred, now its all the newer images that were saved to the other image server, we will get there, at least this way there are less to upload from scratch, I wasnt looking forward to reloading 51 pages of images, whereas 2 pages is viable if it comes to that.

Just caught up with this - Really Really amazing to see. It is funny how we tend to be in shock and think smaller things are so cute and nice and compare them to the real life size version - 'oh look at that' and 'that is a mini version of the cleats' etc but it is true. This is something truly special to see come together.

• Like 2

today I will be taking a break, there is just a couple of pieces I want to get done, but typically the drill bits I need to drill the 0.8mm holes in the stainless steel still havent arrived (due between yesterday and tomorrow). add to that the fact that at work, my two colleagues are on holiday, so I am left with 3 peoples workload, yesterday I was still working on last fridays jobs, by today I was up to tuesday. to cope with this I have gone into turbo work mode, and have managed to halve the list of outstanding work. turbo mode leaves me brain dead at the end of the day, and nowadays I dont like to work that hard for more than a week, I feel sorry for my colleague who returns on monday, then loses me for a long weekend later in the week. thus tonight an evening of rest and relaxation.

• Like 1

Ok you just know I could not help it, i was walking past the model, and I suddenly had a thought, so yes I did some work, I steamed those toe rails for the curves up at the front end. they now have to cool down, so at least tomorrow I can fit them.

IMG_7458.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have just realised we are nearly 5 days past the first anniversary of the project starting.

some work has taken place on just about every day of that year and I must report that I didnt think that the first model would be as far along as it is, or indeed the second model, by making a little progress each day the build has really progressed, without getting to the point where I was ever tired of doing it, in fact the more I have done the more I want to do. as I work on the tinyest of details, I see more that can be done, after doing things I work out ways they can be done better.

And although I have been concentrating on model #1 this past few weeks, it wont be long before I restart on model #2 and work will once again progress in tandem so to speak, with some work being carried out on  model #1 while model #2 is waiting for glue to dry.

model #1 is at detailing stage, while model #2 still has some major fitting out work to do, cabin sides, roofs, decks, transom etc.