Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

Tonight its looking at the stem, the prow / bit at the front, I have two choices, to do it in oak (as per Broad Ambition and model #1) or to do it in teak. I still dont know, I will start out using the oak, and see how it goes. to do this I need to shape the oak, its not quite wide enough, but really its only a tiny sliver needed at the very top corners, so shaping is done, and the pieces cut off are stuck back in place. this will give me the width I need.

So this will be shaped, then I will have a look at the grain presented, if it passes muster it will be fitted and final shaping done.

IMG_7890.JPG

IMG_7891.JPG

IMG_7892.JPG

IMG_7893.JPG

IMG_7894.JPG

• Like 6

the thing was when I roughed it out I left a bit too much meat on the bone so to speak, so needed a way to quickly get it to a better profile, now it will be down to a good rasp, then sandpaper. the biggest problem is holding the workpiece, as its tapered in every direction, and attached to a 40" long boat, I do have a spokeshave that may well come into play later, if I can figure a way of holding it still enough to free up two hands

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, grendel said:

the thing was when I roughed it out I left a bit too much meat on the bone so to speak, so needed a way to quickly get it to a better profile, now it will be down to a good rasp, then sandpaper. the biggest problem is holding the workpiece, as its tapered in every direction, and attached to a 40" long boat, I do have a spokeshave that may well come into play later, if I can figure a way of holding it still enough to free up two hands

Hello Grendel,

How about a couple of those webbing ratchet ties? 

Regards

Alan

I might just have to put it in the vice.

to be honest boats are a horrible shape to hold still, I do have a selection of smaller vices that are bench clamp with adjustable angles, I will have to see what I can manage, the bulkheads may be a good place to grip, I need to finish sanding the hull too, and a good steady workpiece will assist that process too.

IMG_7867.thumb.JPG.c5d9f296381ea94c007bd2108fb67de6.JPG

Well finally a way to hold the boat for shaping, upside down, 3 bench vices set at right angles to normal, each holding a bulkhead, then at it with the finger sander, the spokeshave and the rasp, and we are getting close, now its down to the fine work, detail sanding to the profile, its now, when I am fairly happy with this piece of oak, that I can glue this in place.

next some filler will be added - before I do the final shaping, this will be sanded to shape at the same time as the oak to get the shape faired in, its looking a bit off from the front at the moment as one side appears to have a deeper curve than the other, but I am certain this will balance in as I bring it to the final shape.

IMG_7897.JPG

IMG_7898.JPG

IMG_7899.JPG

IMG_7900.JPG

• Like 4

this morning after shopping it was down to work, sanding and rasping and filing, until I got to the point where I could fair the hull into the stem.

I also dug out an extra clamping, rotating vice for added support, this has enabled me to tip the model to a better position to sand the stem.

I have then used the filler to smooth the hull into the stem, this is now setting so that later I can finish sanding the stem into place.

IMG_7901.JPG

IMG_7902.JPG

IMG_7903.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

last night I started putting in the deck supports down the sides, I was going to do some more this evening, but a shattered wing mirror and massive delays at the bridge tonight put paid to that, I got to halfords just in time to get the new mirror glass, then had to fit it while my tea was cooking, needless to say I have only just finished eating, so my evening is gone. ah well, cant have it every way I suppose, at least I have a new drivers rear view mirror, which will make lane changing easy again.

• Sad 1

I had the same problem,  except my drivers side door mirror was smashed to bits by a black van man who didn't stop,  I have his shiny black door mirror in my possession. 
A replacement door mirror assembly for a Jeep Commander is eye watering. :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

Mercedes wanted £300 for the glass only for mine.
For a 14 year old car? I don’t think so!
Original was self tinting (or whatever you call them). It now has a plain one (I think it was still around £60 for glass only!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Sad 1

being a volvo, the housing just folded back against the side, the new glass was self adhesive and just cost £12 for a 17 year old car, I wouldnt have minded as the road is pretty narrow there, but I already had one side half off the road, and I could see he was travelling down the middle of the road, he would have been in a head on collision if I had been as far out as he was. still I guess he came off worse, and he will think twice about hogging the road next time.

• Like 1

I think the guy must have upset someone as this evening there was a police car sitting at the end of the lane it happened on.

anyway, tonight I added another pair of side deck supports. having done overkill on these on model #1, these are thinner and spaced further apart than model #1.

IMG_7927.JPG

• Like 3