Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

27 minutes ago, grendel said:

now its dry I am really pleased with the finish, there are a couple of small pits into the finish, so another coat will be applied once this has properly dried out

Pits in the finish? :facepalm: You need something bigger to practice your skills on, and I may have just the thing!

• Haha 2

Ok Peter,

I have lost the place with emailing my graphics / sign chap and not getting any response.  So I went round to his workshop / unit earlier today with a head of steam ready to let off in his general direction.  Fortunately before I gave him a Broad Ambition Broadside, and embedding my own starboard standup in my own orrifice I enquired to his general well being only to hear he has been nearly as busy as me but with the added pressure of his Mum having cancer related surgery.  Safety valves instantly reduced my head of steam.

Anyroadup I think we are now sorted, shortly I will be in receipt of the missing gold 'Broad Ambition'  You needed six of these and I believe you only have five?  He has also found on his system the original fonts / sizes of the mirror finish 'R641'  'Broad Ambition' and 'Powles Craft' lettering that are fixed on 'B.A''s cabin sides / aft well bulkhead.  He has got some mirror vinyl in stock and will attempt to reproduce these with the exact same font but exactly 12th scale size of the originals.  I have ordered six 'R641's    four 'Broad Ambition'    and four 'Powles Craft'  All are self adhesive.

Their location of the silver decals can clearly be seen in the photo. There is also a 'R641' on the aft bulkhead as previously stated. The ones onboard 'B.A' are a triple laminate of polished aluminium with plastic middle.  The model ones will be 2xD vinyl

BTW, The smartly dressed gent is 'Jack Powles' or 'Young Jack' as he was known, he was the nephew of  Jack Powles senior.  Young Jack was responsible for the build or R641 and was also hands on in her construction.  Young Jack sadly passed a few years ago now.  We were very fortunate to get him onboard for a visit5a2c05669e41f_BANBN214.thumb.JPG.e6c4ec35f8737b173a36ccdc4a7eb7b1.JPG

Hope this helps,

Griff

many thanks Charlie, yes that will help with the little touches that are the things that make a model. I am glad that you are able to assist even in these small matters as that helps make the model more personal to you, having had an input., today I have given the transom a second coat of neat varnish, plus added some more side deck supports.

while it might seem a bit quiet, the side deck supports have been progressing, nothing is happening tonight though as i am in Daventry, at my companies Christmas evening, we are celebrating as we have had an outstanding year, we had hit all our targets back in July, so I am guessing the celebrations will be good tonight.

• Like 1

after arriving home midday from Daventry (where I started the day with a Full English Breakfast, a full continental breakfast and a bowl of porridge (dont you just love hotel breakfast buffets) and 5 cups of coffee (no I didnt drink that much, just went to bed after midnight, then up at 5am)), a quiet day at home, but I have made a start on the bow badge for model #2.

This is being made from pewter (its easy to shape and carve), I am working under an illuminated magnifier, under this the needle files grow to the size of full sized files, this will be shaped around the bow as it is constructed.

IMG_8178.JPG

IMG_8179.JPG

IMG_8180.JPG

IMG_8181.JPG

IMG_8182.JPG

IMG_8183.JPG

IMG_8184.JPG

IMG_8185.JPG

• Like 5

todays work has been indoors, in the warmth of the dining room work bench. firstly, I needed to round off some pewter to get a profile, I tried making a set of profiled wheels to form the channel, however this did not work, so it was down to hand hammering the pewter adound some brass rod to form a channel, this then was filed to get the depth of the profile correct, then these bits were cut to length and fitted to the prow badge.

IMG_8189.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s been a while since I looked in on this Project and have to say Peter I am always in awe at your skill and craftsmanship.

your attention to detail reminds me of the way my dad used to approach his projects. 

He would say there’s no such phrase as “ it’ll do! “  do it right or don’ do it at all

Looking great

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1