Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

oh, a few days of quiet from me, that of course doesnt mean I havent been doing odd bits - around all the other things that have been going on - car brakes, Christmas, boxing day et al.

Its been a bit cold in the workshop (warmer than outside working on the car) but a ceramic heater has raised the temperature to a workable 10 degrees. anyway I have finally cracked drilling a hole through a 10mm brass rod, exactly central, I managed to drill a hole endwise into a section of rod, with an 0.8mm drill in the lathe, close enough to central that this tiny drill did not break, then enlarged out to a 4mm hole, this section then goes into the drill vice at right angles to the rod, the drill is now held central and dead vertical in both planes allowing perfect holes to be drilled through.

Additional work on the special lathe bits for turning the ball end was done, these are now cutting better and make turning the ball end easier.

Then the shoulder is turned and the section below turned down to 4mm diameter. after this it is parted off the lathe, taken out and turned around. the lathe is reconfigured and the hand crank and thread turning gears attached, and the 4mm section threaded on the lathe. this can only put the thread to within a couple of millimetres of the shoulder, so a 4mm die is then used to clean the thread and continue it as close as possible to the shoulder, then a nut is threaded on and one of the handrail supports is finished. 

I managed two of these today, along with some more side deck supports, and the front brakes on the car.

IMG_8208.JPG

IMG_8209.JPG

IMG_8210.JPG

IMG_8211.JPG

IMG_8212.JPG

• Like 5

This morning we take you through the production of a handrail stanchion.

First the work area, working at the lathe using an illuminated magnifier, this not only helps me to see the part I am making, but acts as a shield to protect me from the brass swarf flying off.

so the part has the hole drilled near the end, then mounted into the lathe, the end is faced off and the whole turned down to diameter.

The end is rounded off using a handmade lathe bit shaped with the curve for the end.

next we cut the inner curve and shoulder, another special lathe tool. 

After this the inside of the shoulder, turning down the section to 4mm for the thread.

next remove the drive pulley and fit the threading gears and crank, then its time to cut the thread. once its nearly there we transfer to a 4mm die and clean the thread up, extending it as close to the shoulder as the die will allow.

then just thread the nut on the end, and another handrail stanchion is ready.

IMG_8213.JPG

IMG_8214.JPG

IMG_8215.JPG

IMG_8216.JPG

IMG_8217.JPG

IMG_8218.JPG

IMG_8219.JPG

IMG_8220.JPG

IMG_8221.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

gosh nearly a whole week at work, and no updates I hear you cry - well I have been doing a few bits, I now have 13 of the 18 handrail stanchions done, when I am working I can usually only get 1 done per evening, but it is good fun. every night a pair of side deck supports have been added, so really its just more of the same as I have posted earlier this week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

only 1 stanchion done today, its been a busy day with an apres Christmas tidy up in the kitchen, amazon boxes have been relegated to the bin, and the treadmill is once again accessible (my work clothes shrank over Christmas) so gentle exercise is once again possible.

This means i have 15 stanchions made and just 3 left to make.

IMG_8228.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

well 4 more stanchions made today, the third (last one ) I managed to shear the thread off trying to get the thread closer to the shoulder than i should have, so i had to make 1 more.

more ancient tools have been dug out and got working, my bench grinder was found in a terrible state in the shed, but fired up first go.

At the boot fair this morning I found some drill bits, a whole bundle for £10, there were 26 bigger than 10mm, probably over 100 drills in total, maybe 20 that need sharpening.

• Like 1

I may need to modify my jig to get a little more rake on the edge, just to give more clearance behind the cutting edge - leaning the jig back away from the wheel should achieve this (ie planing a chamfer on the edge of the block at the bottom to lean it back 10 degrees

• Like 1

block modified with a 7 degree wedge, this gives a little rake behind the edge. this is the sum of the drill bits I got, at £15 I reckon that works out about 10p each - bargain, other pics show the edge on a drill and the rake behind the edges.

IMG_8236.JPG

IMG_8237.JPG

IMG_8238.JPG

IMG_8239.JPG

• Like 2

well day off today (12.15 doctors appt for blood test, blood pressure etc) and I thought I would convert some teak into cabin sides and as it happens a lot of sawdust. now Charlie didnt tell me that this teak is murder on table saw blades, by the time I had slowly done 3 cuts 3" (75mm) deep to get 4 no 5mm planks, the air was blue with smoke off the blade and everything had a thick layer of sawdust, despite having the saw connected to the shop vac, doors were opened to clear the air, and then the vacuum was used to hoover all the sawdust up. result 4 planks 75mm x 5mm. still to finish the side deck supports and the decks, before the sides will go on.

IMG_8243.JPG

IMG_8244.JPG

IMG_8245.JPG

IMG_8246.JPG

IMG_8247.JPG

• Like 2

Good job its proper teak not iroko I start coughing just looking at the stuff its deadly to machine mask on or not many many bar counters taught me that lesson in life , a true double grain nightmare wood :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

my nightmare wood is a form of greenheart, me and a mate rescued 2 8 foot offcuts when they were replacing the groynes at whitstable, my mate got it sawn at a local sawmill, they split it down to 10" x 1 1/2" planks and 5" x 4" posts, blunting 2 sawblades doing so.

the big problem was the splinters, get a splinter and within hours it was festering away.

the good part is the raised bed I made from it still hasnt rotted nearly 20 years later.

when we got it in the back of my van the back end sagged a bit - it took the two of us to lift each bit (and we were quite strong lads in those days)

• Like 1

As a would-be wood-butcher and embryonic wood turner, I never cease to be amazed by the amount of shavings and sawdust I produce. As a Yorkshireman,  who doesn't keep hamsters, pet mice or other small pets, I am saddened that I can't find a use for them.  Can this material be collected, mixed with some sort of binder, compressed, dried and burnt in a log-burner. Does anyone have any experience of this or any better ideas?