Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

I must be getting old because I heard my daughter talking to one of her friends and say "when I was at school my Dad would say 'if I want your opinion I'll give it to you'!" 

Surely I'm too young to have people reminisce about things I say? I did check the obituaries before I got out of bed this morning, so I know I'm not dead! :facepalm:

• Haha 2

todays work, cleaning up waxing and sharpening the wooden jack plane I got at the boot fair this morning, then steamed the next roof beam. yesterday the racking containing 40 drawers was mounted on the wall behind the bandsaw, so a bit of tidying while steaming was in progress, and charging batteries for cordless drills etc.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, grendel said:

todays work, cleaning up waxing and sharpening the wooden jack plane I got at the boot fair this morning, then steamed the next roof beam. yesterday the racking containing 40 drawers was mounted on the wall behind the bandsaw, so a bit of tidying while steaming was in progress, and charging batteries for cordless drills etc.

Hi Grendel,

What make is it?

I prefer the cast planes if  am honest

Regards

Alan

Well a double dose of steaming tonight, the last roof beam, plus a thinner wider beam bent up in the shallower jug, this will end up as the trailing edge of the roof, and be shaped to a curve for the edge of the roof.

IMG_9900.JPG

IMG_9901.JPG

IMG_9902.JPG

IMG_9903.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have been putting this off as a weekend job, but somehow things have been getting busy at weekends recently, 

Having got my laptop back up and running on windows 10, it was time to look at the roof, the Aft cabin roof is easier than the forrard one so I am starting there.

10mm x 5mm teak strips were cut to length clamped to the sides and then the curved beams were also cut to length, 1/2 lap joints were cut and then with a piece of paper at the outside (to stop the glue sticking to the wrong thing and to give clearance) the beams were glued in place. at the moment its 32 degrees out in the workshop, so it will be multiple short trips out there to fit up the frame in the next section back, once the frames are glued up, intermediate roof beams will be added, then the roof skin will be added. then I have the more tricky front one to do.

IMG_9919.JPG

IMG_9920.JPG

• Like 1

only 20 degrees in the workshop early this morning, so I have been out progressing the work, its now up to 26 degrees (same as indoors), but I have added the mid position roof beams now, these have to wait until the glue has dried, before they are sanded (to make sure the roof is flat, the rear bulkhead also needs sanding down to match the roof, all progressing well at the moment.

IMG_9923.JPG

IMG_9924.JPG

IMG_9925.JPG

IMG_9926.JPG

• Like 3

still hot in the workshop, I got home and opened all the doors, still 31 degrees when I came in just now. anyroad up, tonight was figuring out the roof, clamps went in to stop the frames dropping, and then the thin plywood was cut just oversize (will be trimmed up later) clamps  hold the ply to the frames, and weights where I cant reach a clamp.

IMG_9935.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

well I gave the glue an hour to go off (but not be too hard in case any had got where it shouldnt, then carefully removed the roof from the model and got some clamps on it again including the parts that i hadnt been able to reach, that stayed clamped up until this morning when I removed all the clamps, two more parts to add to the roof structure while in situ to get the spacing , then it will be trimming to shape.

• Like 1