Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

I went to a model boat show there was a chap there that sold sounds i bought one for a destroyer that whop-whOP-WHOP i played it a couple of times through loud speaker on the boat as i came round too  a club do bit childish but!!!. They all thought the  royal navy was coming.John

typically the windscreen gremlin strikes, I was about to print out the part that I had printed too small, my daughter slammed the oven door and managed to trip the whole houses electric, everything came back up after except the networrk hub that the server is on, so hub is temporarily bypassed with a long cable and  we are back printing.

so after buying bits last weekend it was time to set some up to test.

the sound quality isnt good on the video, and I am still getting used to sorting sounds and choosing them - suffice to say sounds can be recorded and added - 16 sounds plus engine start run and stop, 8 sounds can be continuous, 8 play just once

the speaker isnt the best out there, but you have 2 sound channels, both play simultaneously (in fact there are 4 sound channels, but only two pairs so sounds played on the matching two channels play separately, so if your engine sound is on one pair of channels your other sounds need to be on the other to play at the same time. at the moment the engine sound is a detroit diesel, but I have other diesel sounds or we can record BA to get the right sound.

• Like 1

Well the better speaker was fine except the volume had to be turned down or it clicked, so my eyes will be open for another to try and get a decent one. that was all i got done yesterday as i found a great youtube channel  on a couple of guys building their own boat, using trees on the land they owned, great, but i watched all day, and still only managed to see 39 of the 60 episodes, very interesting though.

If money is no object then have a peep at some of the incredibly small yet highly efficient Blue Tooth speakers now on the market. Using your I-Phone you'll be able not only to replicate the sound of BA but also the unintelligible use of the English language, including lower deck expletives,  as practised by Donny's finest when enjoying themselves! You'll also be able to download and play Griiff's revealing playlist! 

• Like 1

well busy today watching youtube, a live stream of real boat timber steaming - 

plus some work in the breaks between ribs / frames going in, I am working on the stern well, I have made a pattern for the floor, trimmed the side decks square and fitting supports for the inside sides of the stern well.

IMG_0124.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Todays work was a bit of a change, the paintwork on model #1 had taken some damage from the storage base, so the white paint has been touched up and oversprayed with a clear lacquer, the stand has had draught excluder foam put on it, I have had mixed results with this before as it can decide to stick to the paint, however the lacquer, may be better, but has to dry properly first.

• Like 1

Grendel - see if you can find some '3M multi purpose sealing and insulation tape', sticky back foam but denser than the usual and skinned on the non-sticky side.We've got it on the coachroof for the forehatch to close on, hasn't deteriorated in five years.

• Thanks 2

tonight  has just been another quick coat of clear lacquer onto the model #1, now it has a week to properly set the paint before I need to move it to bring it on the lads week. on a plus I picked up 3 of the 12v 7ah batteries I use for the model at work today, not new, but on charge now to see how they work, a few spares will allow me to run it all week without worrying about charging, each battery theoretically gives me 3 or 4 hours running time.

so last night it was checking the lacquer was dry and moving the model back onto its stand - fingers crossed it doesnt stick to it as it has in the past. free batteries seem to be charging nicely, second one is now having a 24 hour trickle charge, third one will be put on tonight. meanwhile I plan to get some engine noise samples from Broad Ambition on the lads week, all that is required is the startup, shutdown and about 10 seconds of running to loop in the sound module, then it will be down to getting sound bites of things such as the captain barking out the normal orders (mines a yorkshire bitter- etc).

now there is a model show in st albans this weekend, but I am supposed to be packing ready for the lads week - hmm  should I go? maybe just the sunday for a few hours? its meccano, and boats too.