Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

7 hours ago, grendel said:

Tim, I think that for some clubs I am maybe a generation too young, even with the one at Herne Bay I wont be able to participate in the wednesday sailing for maybe another 10 years (when I retire). Though when I visited Sunday there was some evidence of younger members. I believe that we may be the last generation for some of these hobbies, as not many youngsters seem interested in anything but their phone screen nowadays.

That's also a huge concern for the full size woodies. There are very few youngsters out there willing to learn how to plank and putty with a view to taking on the family heirloom (:grin:) when the time comes.

Grendal as a builder of scale models, l find that cuts and mishaps are never 10th scale they usually hurt more.

If you need any fixings try

www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk 

Or

www.alwayshobbies.co.uk 

I personally hate visiting these web sites because I end up trying to spend enough to not pay p&p costs.

paul

ps look at the sound generators

• Like 1

I have already got a shopping list for Cornwall model boats and am looking at the noisy thing II for sounds (I just need to get a recording of Griff telling one of his jokes to add to the sounds :-) ).

Todays progress 2 more stringers glued on one side and prepping the stringers for the other side one of my curved parts needed a little extra steam just to make the bend. that is clamped in place now, drying off, before gluing tomorrow.

IMG_3691.JPG

IMG_3692.JPG

IMG_3693.JPG

IMG_3694.JPG

• Like 1

I have already got a shopping list for Cornwall model boats and am looking at the noisy thing II for sounds (I just need to get a recording of Griff telling one of his jokes to add to the sounds :-) ).

As Mrs G says more foreign holidays, he may not be back from Tenerife for a very long time! Perhaps he has been booked up as a comedian there! :naughty:

• Like 1

Well finished the one side today, and fitted the top rail of the other side, its tricky doing more as the clamps from one stringer get in the way for positioning the next. doing a trial for the alignment of the prop shaft I will add some meat to the hog where it goes through to give it a good chance for fixing the prop shaft. I will be making a drill bit from some 6mm steel rod to bore the prop shaft, I was doing some research earlier and found a nice website showing how to make a drill to bore out bagpipes.

IMG_3695.JPG

IMG_3696.JPG

IMG_3697.JPG

IMG_3698.JPG

IMG_3699.JPG

• Like 5

mine doesnt get tidied as much as it should, but once I have applied the glue, I tend to keep away so it doesnt get knocked or disturbed, all but 1 cat knows to keep away, and I have a water mister bottle I use for wetting one side of the joint when using the gorilla glue, this can also be used to keep the cats back.

Last stringer in place, time for a tidy up (alas not to wildfuzz's standard - I don't have the space) started cutting out the frames for model 2, some of these will be used as patterns for the formers for bending the ribs. At least the ribs only need 24"  max timber lengths. I need to clear half of my conservatory, to use it as my workshop.

IMG_3706.JPG

IMG_3707.JPG

IMG_3708.JPG

IMG_3709.JPG

• Like 4

while out shopping for small pegs (to clamp the ribs to the stringers) I was in the range and found some of the poseable wooden mannequins (for sketching) that could be dressed to make decent crew members (at the equivalent of 5 foot tall they are very close to scale) 

IMG_3715.JPG

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Oi I'll av' thee know al'us Yorkshiremen stand at least eight foot tall b 'art 'at n' us clogs! :naughty:

my only experience with Yorkshiremen until I met Griff was my uncle and he was a miner, these figures would have needed chopping down to be his size. Actually having had one of the springs come out of one, and seeing how they are built, it should be possible to turn up some new parts and make them taller.