Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

yes the world is full of these clever devices nowadays  this is the power meter 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-DC-Watt-Meter-12v-24v-48v-Voltage-Current-Battery-Monitor-Solar-Power/254103933935?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=553443570910&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

they also do one with a shunt to read up to 100A, i recently bought usb output boards that can take just about any source and outut 5v

• Like 1

Thanks for the link Peter. I had just found that supplier and they do click and collect too. Being as we live on the island at Thorpe the likes of Hermes are not very reliable.

I think one of those will be going inline with our solar charger. We already have aNasa BM1 but that shows the net charge and battery %.

I shall look forward to seeing the finished model.

Colin :default_drinks:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The final parts have arrived for the conversion to lithium batteries, these are the low voltage alarms, basically they are set to alarm (quite noisily) if any of the batter cells drop below 3.3volts, they measure this across the individual cells of the battery, so will alarm if only one of the cells drops below optimum, normal cell voltage is 3.7v and peak is about 4.1v. I now have these, the 10 ah lithium battery (which as we have measured the load in the water at 5amps, allows for two hours continuous use flat out) running at 11.1 volts means we can retain the existing systems for speed control.

The lithium battery is about 1/3 the weight of a 9ah lead acid battery, so ballast will be needed, but this can now be adjusted to trim the boat for level.

IMG_20200917_143907.jpg

• Like 1

On 17/09/2020 at 14:49, grendel said:

these are the low voltage alarms, basically they are set to alarm (quite noisily) if any of the batter cells drop below 3.3volts, they measure this across the individual cells of the battery, so will alarm if only one of the cells drops below optimum, normal cell voltage is 3.7v and peak is about 4.1v. 

IMG_20200917_143907.jpg

Are these alarms a bit of an overkill for a drain on a battery, small that it is and for a model boat?

1 minute ago, Upcycler said:

Are these alarms a bit of an overkill for a drain on a battery, small that it is and for a model boat?

not really lithium cells do not like being over discharged, it can cause problems when you o to charge them again, these units were about £1.50 each and give an audible alarm when battery cell voltage drops below a certain value (3.3V) this gives you time to head back to shore.

that and this size battery (10 Ah) is neither small nor cheap

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So what do you do on a rainy day, obviously you make deck fittings, no way would i be able to do them in stainless steel, but i have some nice aluminium i could use, first it needed to be turned down to size from around 14mm to 10mm then mounted in a collet chuck so the other end could be brought down to size

IMG_3526.JPG

then a very slight taper was put onto the end

IMG_3530.JPGIMG_3531.JPG

after that it was shouldered down to 6mmIMG_3529.JPG

and then parted offIMG_3527.JPG

4 are needed for the model, so I made 5, IMG_3533.JPG

Then it was a case of over to the milling machine to put the slots in the topIMG_3534.JPGIMG_3535.JPG

Then a 6mm hole in a piece of scrap aluminium, so that i could hold them to file off the short piece of waste left from parting off in the latheIMG_3536.JPGIMG_3537.JPGIMG_3538.JPG

the finished articles ready for the model

IMG_3539.JPGIMG_3540.JPG

after that it was a case of positioning them on the model ready for installation, IMG_3541.JPGIMG_3542.JPGIMG_3543.JPGIMG_3544.JPG

Fortunately while on board on lads week i had taken note of where these deck fittings were situated.

• Like 2

well i tried fitting one in the hole in the scrap piece of aluminium to polish it on my polishing wheel, ping, it was gone into the nether regions of the workshop, so i made another 4 for model #1 and then polished them using my dremel type drill, a lot gentler.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, johnm said:

Just make sure the slots are all nicely lined up fore and aft 'Bristol Fashion' to go with the raised fenders and cheesy ropes insisted on by the Griffmeister :default_wink:

Well, I wouldnt say all of them are aligned fore and aft.

IMG_0721.JPG

IMG_0725.JPG

IMG_0727.JPG

IMG_0728.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Happy said:

IMHO that would have been too over the top! Looks just right as you have done it.

thats not the model, those are the pictures i took while aboard BA so that i could position the deck fittings.

I will post some as installed on the model pics later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grendel said:

thats not the model, those are the pictures i took while aboard BA so that i could position the deck fittings.

I will post some as installed on the model pics later.

:facepalm: My mistake!  No wonder I thought the 'pump out' sign was very good!

• 4 weeks later...

and now i set my sights on the stern navigation light and the port and starboard ones, i have previously obtained some red and green LEDs, so first to make the housings, since i find stainless steel difficult to machine they are being made from 1/4" aluminium rod. this is a multi stage project, first shaping the ends on the watchmakers lathe, this is just a case of doming them over, then onto the bigger lathe to make shoulders and drill through for the lights, then its onto the mill to cut the slots for the 'glass' the rear light has 180 degree visibility, and the side lights around 90 degrees. i now need to find some 2.5mm acrylic to make the lenses, in preferably green, red and clear, after which the leds will be added. i can fit the acrylic a bit large and turn it down to fit. 

i cant emphasise just how small these are, so i put a ruler in shot.

i do know that somewhere i have some coloured filter material, i just need to recall where it has been stored.

IMG_3552.JPG

IMG_3553.JPG

IMG_3554.JPG

IMG_3555.JPG

IMG_3556.JPG

• Like 2