Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

there is plenty for both models, tonight I started on the first cushion, somehow I dont feel this is going to be as easy as it looks, first experiment, on a plywood backing, now I am wondering if I have enough space for a thin layer of foam as well, so this is experimental cushion #1, its lovely material

BA model seating 001.JPG

BA model seating 002.JPG

BA model seating 003.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well while model Broad Ambition was on display I managed to bump into the model, and Purdey model who was sitting on the bow was catapulted into the water between Water Rail and Malanka, sinking to the bottom, even at low water its too deep to go fishing around. I have also put out a shout for assistance with the deck light wiring, the wires are just 0.2mm thick, (with the insulation removed that drops to 0.1mm) an electronic engineer has just had a look and shaken his head saying they wouldnt normally deal with wires that thin, but has at least made some useful suggestions of how to manage it, tests will be made.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

finally -I hear you cry (especially Griff) I get to the lighting.

so this has been my nemesis so far, the wires are tiny 0.1mm, so I needed to be able to get a good connection, well I dug through my junk boxes and found some thin wire (not thin compared to the LED wires, but a mere 0.8mm dia (o.5mm conductor) using my magnefying light I was able to solder the LED wires to this, Then I struck lucky, I had purchased some coloured heaqt shrink in lidls in an assortment of colours and sizes. the smallest of this was 1mm ID (shrinking to 0.5mm) the next size 1.5mm id, so taking a piece of the smallest I slid it up and heat shrunk each solder joint, for good measure (and fortunately the LED slid into this 1.0mm tubing), I heat shrunk the length of the thin wire all the way to the LED, over the top I then put the next size heat shrink and coated the wire, then I went up another size and enclosed the two joints, ending up with a 6" reinforced length, then it came time to glue the led into a light fitting- whoops I put a red LED into the stern light, no problem though I managed to get it out in time and glue it into the correct fitting for the navigation light.

at this point i will say, if you are sitting at the work bench with no socks on, do pay attention if you drip the superglue, yes I had to unstick my foot from the floor.

this wont be quick, that single lamp was the culmination of about an hour and a halfs work, and a lot of concentration went into it, but, I now have a method, and the materials to proceed. dont be fooled by the pictures, that vice is only just over an inch wide

DSCN0281.JPG

DSCN0282.JPG

DSCN0283.JPG

DSCN0285.JPG

• Like 2

So today was the turn of the second nav light, this one took 2 attempts as the wire fell off at the led end just after I had soldered it the first time, I will say that once soldered up I hook up the wires and have the bulb illuminated as I work, then at least I know if my handling has been too rough, these wires are as thin as hairs and it doesn't take much to damage them, hence my reason for several layers of heat shrink tubing to support the wires, when I glue the bulb into the fitting it is this heat shrink tubing that gets glued into place, so as to relieve the stress on the wires, then the fitting is temporarily fixed to a timber support, with the wires taped up, all to avoid stressing the led wires.

IMG_20220101_152023.jpg

IMG_20220101_152034.jpg

IMG_20220101_152110.jpg

IMG_20220101_152132.jpg

IMG_20220101_152901.jpg

• Like 1

these LED's are rated from 2.5 to 3,2 volts, I am wary at pushing any higher voltage so I have ordered a dc/ dc converter that guarantees the 2.5V output from any power source from 3v to 35 v, this will be fitted into the lighting circuit. 

these LED's are so small they fit through the 1mm heat shrink tubing easily, but if a wire falls off, then there is no way on earth to solder it back onto the LED (you just cant see to do it even with the magnifier)- maybe a microscope based soldering station could do it, but the heat would probably kill the led anyway.

still never mind, doing this job has stalled me far longer than it should have just thinking how to do it, the answer, just get on and try, I always knew I would have to join to a bigger wire, and the most fortuitous part was finding I had heat shrink in a small enough size to do the job (note to self, must buy more next time i see it in lidls)

• Like 1

More lighting work, however this one was a bit trickier, I had already fitted the led into a spotlight, this is then mounted to the fore cabin roof, so a connector would be required. 

since the lamp is one side of the roof, and the connector the other, with a limited size on the hole connectiing the two, the wiring had to be completed with the spotlight on the roof and the wires in place. the initial lamp wiring was done as before with the heat shrink reinforcement, and then the ends to be connected were passed through the fitting, this also mean ensuring the wires were both secure, yet would still pass through the fitting. It was tight, the heat shrunk sleeve was virtually the same size as  the hole, especially where it went right to the fitting. then a connector was added. now the one strange part is that the white LED's seem to trigger at a slightly higher voltage, the red and green were quite bright at 2.5V, the white was barely visible, but brightened at 3V, so thats something I have to watch out for when deciding upon the running voltage fot the lights., I have another batch on order of the white, I thought I had enough, but it seems I only ordered 10, (either that or there is a second packet of 10 sitting somewhere safe. not a problem, they are cheap enough.

DSCN0288.JPG

DSCN0289.JPG

DSCN0290.JPG

DSCN0291.JPG

DSCN0292.JPG

• Like 3