Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

I think we are just fortunate it wasnt the one in the mankini.

What sort of activities do you want to see videoed? I can do rib glueing and cramping, I might do removal of ribs from the steaming former tonight, just so you can see what it comes out like.

• Like 1

Nothing got done yesterday, I had a meccano club meeting, this was over an hours drive away, and when it finished I proceeded to the pub with some work colleagues who had come along. after getting home and having my dinner, I had to run my daughter up to A&E, not returning until 10pm, so no work done.

The big hassle in the morning came when I went to get some cash out and all of the machines rejected my card, home again and a quick phone call determined there was a fault on the chip, with a new card on its way, I then had to get into town to the bank (why are they in the middle of all the pedestrian areas miles from the nearest parking) I then had to queue with all the shopkeepers getting their change for the day, at the one human teller (they have converted all the other positions to machines that use your card! ) to withdraw some cash to tide me over until my new card arrives - though apparently online purchases will still work - hmm can you get the car filled up with petrol online?

having left home at 9.00am, I eventually left Canterbury at 10.30am, now just a little bit late, still a good day was had by all and my crane managed to win a cup.

• Like 1

well the vice is picked up, It was a bit epic, normally I would have tackled it from the garage doors, but when I got there someone had stacked an 18" high pile of fence panels in front of my mother in laws garage, ( i havent been round the back there for a couple of years, and she probably hasnt looker there in 5 years at least), so it was then in through the entrance from the  garden, this I had been dreading, armed with long handled loppers, I attacked the brambles. it was a good ten feet of dense brambles to get to the door, I didnt even find Sleeping Beauty's castle en route.

Eventually I made it, then cleared half the workbench and unbolted the very big heavy vice, before spotting this one sitting unbolted under the pillar drill, this was lighter with wider jaws, so a better choice. there was also my blacksmiths vice, andinaccessible, just visible at the far end of the bench, another of my heavy vices, in the garage to the side was a further heavy vice, I make that 5 I had a choice of, this was the lightest. I also found my little razor plane, and some oak drawer fronts.

IMG_3838.JPG

• Like 1

it doesnt say record, but has a big number six cast on the side.

The good news is it does the job, even not bolted down, its heavy enough to do the job. starting with the vice sheet metal bender I took each side of the channel to about 75 degrees, this left more of a u channel, so it was wrapped around a piece of 1/4" bar steel, this was then crimped tight to bring the bends to 90 degrees and the bottom of the channel hammered flat. This was test fitted on the model, then some wood of a suitable thickness was inserted, and the straight lines of the shape cut, the rounded corners were achieved by drilling just through the brass in the corner with a 10mm drill. all that remains is to file all of the rough edges, and one skeg is made. the offcuts from the brass were bent up to form soft jaws for the vice.

IMG_3852.JPG

IMG_3843.JPG

IMG_3844.JPG

IMG_3845.JPG

IMG_3846.JPG

IMG_3847.JPG

IMG_3848.JPG

IMG_3849.JPG

IMG_3850.JPG

IMG_3851.JPG

• Like 6

tonights efforts, fit a rib steam a rib, next I was looking ahead, and thinking how I was going to form the ribs for the forrard section, as between the bulkheads we go from a curved bilge, to the totally opposite curve. hmm, I laid a couple of planks in place and observed the twist they have to follow. I may have to lay some planks in place and steam round them, maybe alternate planks (to give space to get clamps in). this will have to happen in a week or so, once I have filled in the next couple of sections with ribs.

IMG_3856.JPG

IMG_3857.JPG

IMG_3858.JPG

IMG_3859.JPG

IMG_3860.JPG

• Like 5

a boring update today, another rib in place and another one steamed up, I might need to make an intermediate former soon as the shape is starting to change quite quickly at this point on the hull - thinking about it doesnt get it done - so I just went and did it. first pic - the step between formers, second pic - the new former

IMG_3861.JPG

IMG_3862.JPG

• Like 3