Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

this morning I woke up at 5am, with an idea in my mind. I had some old telescope drive motors and gearboxes lying around, what if I could convert one to a mudweight winch for the model. so when I got up I grabbed one to inspect at work, yes I think it really might work. This evening after steaming some ribs up, bending them on the former, etc I dug out some old gears, would they mesh with the gearbox - yes, grand.

now all I need to do is add a winch drum to the gear, make up a mounting bracket, add a motor controller, and a winch should be born. it should be just small enough to mount on the forward bulkhead.

IMG_3893.JPG

IMG_3894.JPG

IMG_3895.JPG

• Like 4

15 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Grendel - your problematic thinking /issue solving process never ceases to amaze me

Griff

That's the problem with us Engineers, Mechanical or Electrical, these little problems fester in our grey matter, looking for a solution. That's why most engineers walk around with a fixed frown, they are always thinking out the next problem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FairTmiddlin said:

That's the problem with us Engineers, Mechanical or Electrical, these little problems fester in our grey matter, looking for a solution. That's why most engineers walk around with a fixed frown, they are always thinking out the next problem.

Better a frown than a toothless grin:naughty:

These days my thoughts on the next problem is usually how to get home before the suns gone down.

Joking apart most come from an era if the part was broken, we repaired it or managed to have a work around until a part could be purchased.

My last job at home was fitting water intake valves on the washing machine (the sacred white lump in the utility room) water was leaking from the valves when the machine was stood. Tan regards the washing machine above everything else in the house. I wish I had a pound for every time I have had the machines (we have only had 3) apart over the last 36 years.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

I agree, I had the brake system on the car apart at the weekend, as there was what felt like a rogue activation of the ABS, as part of the process I removed the abs sensors and cleaned them, also wire brushing the rings that the sensor reads. after I had done all this, monday comes and I have an abs light on and no speedo. new sensor ordered, which I fitted at lunch time today - still no joy.a full check of the system showed where I had unplugged the connector on the ABS unit, and it hadnt reconnected properly, two pins that hold the connector in place were stopping it being fitted properly, pull the 2 pins out, refit the connector and push the  locking pins back in and everything is back up and running, cost £14 and half an hour, much cheaper than even taking it to the garage for them to look at it.

• Like 1

Todays fix, another rib fitted, 2 more sitting ready to be fixed, and the other half of the one i fitted yesterday, so another rib - hang on a minute - No, not another rib steamed, as I did all those ones forrard of the bulkhead, and the section just behind the bow wont need a steamer. I would have fitted a second forrard rib, but the clamp holding the other half of the one I fitted is in the way, I really cant believe that the ribs are this far progressed, I will be getting to planking soon, then the second hull, it just shows that doing less than half an hours work each day can progress a model quite quickly (though I am sure that the upperworks and fittings will take a while too).

IMG_3911.JPG

IMG_3912.JPG

IMG_3913.JPG

• Like 3

early to rise - got a bit of time in this morning before going shopping. stuck a couple of ribs in, then got a mini lathe out to turn up an axle for the winch, axle turned and gears glued on, clamped in vice to set, later I can bend up a bracket to hold the winch drum to the motor, and insert a smaller metal axle through the centre.

Possibly another set of ribs later too

IMG_3914.JPG

IMG_3915.JPG

IMG_3916.JPG

IMG_3917.JPG

• Like 3

Work in progress on the winch, the brass bracket is bent up, drilled out then tapped for the m4 bolt (I still need to threadlock this) a backing board was made and the parts spaced off accordingly, then came testing time:-

and those little noises - my helper of course.

IMG_3918.JPG

IMG_3919.JPG

IMG_3920.JPG

IMG_3921.JPG

IMG_3922.JPG

IMG_3923.JPG

IMG_3924.JPG

IMG_3925.JPG

IMG_3926.JPG

IMG_3927.JPG

IMG_3928.JPG

IMG_3929.JPG

IMG_3930.JPG

IMG_3931.JPG

IMG_3932.JPG

• Like 5

then got a mini lathe out to turn up an axle for the winch, axle turned and gears glued on, clamped in vice to set, later I can bend up a bracket to hold the winch drum to the motor, and insert a smaller metal axle through

That sounds so easy to do / accomplish when you say it, or if I say it fast enough

Griff

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

The videos, cracking -  more please.  Oh and BTW you are allowed to speak on them to give us fans a bit of commentary you know!

Griff

He requires lessons from our Blue Fender kid, for that, before we can allow him loose on here ! :naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

The videos, cracking -  more please.  Oh and BTW you are allowed to speak on them to give us fans a bit of commentary you know!

Griff

Talkies eh, I havent quite got to that stage yet, besides there was some commentry - from the small black one.

Since Griff has requested a commentary, here is a video of another rib being fitted, complete with commentary, I might do another from a different angle, as its very difficult to get a good angle without my hands or some other part of me getting in the way.

• Like 3

As its the weekend, I get the chance to do a bit more, this time I thought I would try and catch the action from above, I set up a camera boom above the model (you will notice part way through when I head butt it) field of view wasnt good so I used the wide angle lens, anyway, here is the next rib going in.

(edited as I nearly forgot to add the link.

• Like 3

another rib in place, and a few more pictures just to allow me to appreciate just how far I have come to date. when I started this just a few months back I had no idea all of the ribs would be done before Christmas, and it looks like before December even. The other good news is that I have booked up my remaining holiday, and from the 21st November I have every Monday booked as holiday, so a whole lot of long weekends for the rest of the year = more time to work on the models.

Once the planking is completed on this hull, it can be removed from the building board, and the second hull can be started, this will allow some work to be done on constructing the second hull, whilst also progressing this first hull in the upper works, decking and other parts.

IMG_3942.JPG

IMG_3943.JPG

IMG_3944.JPG

IMG_3945.JPG

• Like 6