Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

I am in awe at your patience and modelling skill, Gren. Just a thought - on completion, will we all get a chance to see the finished article "in the flesh"? At a meet, perhaps? Or is it all round to your bathroom for the official launch?:)

• Like 2

The easy answer is yes, there will be two finished articles, one for me and one for Griff, which may well have pride of place aboard the mother ship so to speak, plus I will endeavour to bring my one to the meets where possible. my one is being made first to learn the necessary skills, though which will be completed first is anyones guess at the moment, as once we get to the upper works and detailing, Griffs one may progress faster, though I will probably construct the fittings all at the same time for both hulls - there will be some differences between the two as I have materials that will be used on Griffs version but not mine.

On completion, will we all get a chance to see the finished article "in the flesh"? At a meet, perhaps? Or is it all round to your bathroom for the official launch?:)

That is gonna be one busy bathroom, especially considering I have been proudly 'Gobbing Off' on FB with this topic too

Griff

Much better - that is the videos to compliment the photo's and now with commentary too :nosey:Proper hooked.

There's no stopping you now.  One question, when is the 'Lull' coming? surely you can't keep this pace up, nearly every night you are at it,  We went through lean times of non-activity with the restoration then took a breath, shoulders back and cracked on again, as of yet you haven't stopped.  I'm only too aware you have a life outside the model workshop, not that I am hinting on you slowing down or taking a breather - far from it

Griff

• Like 3

With regards to the 'Official Launch'  just where are you going to get a miniature champagne from then eh? cheers

Once you have carried out 'Bath / Pond' trials and you are happy,  I will leave the venue / date of the official launch to yourself. Of course it should go without saying, 'B.A' will be available at your disposal for the event

Griff

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Much better - that is the videos to compliment the photo's and now with commentary too :nosey:Proper hooked.

There's no stopping you now.  One question, when is the 'Lull' coming? surely you can't keep this pace up, nearly every night you are at it,  We went through lean times of non-activity with the restoration then took a breath, shoulders back and cracked on again, as of yet you haven't stopped.  I'm only too aware you have a life outside the model workshop, not that I am hinting on you slowing down or taking a breather - far from it

Griff

I'm only too aware you have a life outside the model workshop

Under the constant shelling from the Russians and US I think not :naughty: Tongue in cheek

50 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Griff

At present the pace is relatively easy, just a commitment to 10 or 15 minutes a day, with the odd day where I do a couple of such stints through the day, with maybe some hour long stints at the weekends (mostly spent cutting timbers on the table saw) there will maybe be odd days when I cant get anything done ( works Christmas do up near Leicester at the beginning of December springs to mind).

In general though I am finding it immensely satisfying to be doing this and relaxing at the same time.

I have an uncle who made a model of HMS Victory, fully rigged this was over 6 foot high and 6 foot wide. he spent hundreds of hours on the rigging, then spotted that on one side had an extra rope, so took it all off and did that side again, so the model building runs in the family, his models are museum quality static models.

HMS Victory (5) 10.8.07.jpg

HMS Victory (1) 18.12.05.JPG

HMS Victory (2) 4.12.06.JPG

HMS Victory (2) 10.8.07.jpg

HMS Victory (2) 18.12.05.JPG

HMS Victory (2) 29.10.06.JPG

HMS Victory (3) 10.8.07.jpg

HMS Victory (4) 10.8.07.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

With regards to the 'Official Launch'  just where are you going to get a miniature champagne from then eh? cheers

Once you have carried out 'Bath / Pond' trials and you are happy,  I will leave the venue / date of the official launch to yourself. Of course it should go without saying, 'B.A' will be available at your disposal for the event

Griff

Hownin the name of reason are you going to get BA up the river to Canterbury You have not done your research have you its not that deep :4_joy:

• Like 1

Actually it is the bridge at 1.6m airdraft at Fordwich (about 2 miles out of Canterbury) that marks the limits of the navigable section up the Stour, to that point the lowest bridge is 3.5m and there is a reasonable depth for BA.:taunt: there are some nice moorings on the Stour at Grove Ferry just by the pub there, and even moorings at Fordwich (though they are probably all private - some even have Gardens.)

I am sure we will try and make an occasion out of the launch, maybe at one of the meets or the wooden boat event, where we can hold the event with a decent selection of forum members present.

• Like 2

This morning, although it is damp everywhere the sun is out, so I was outside creating planks. the last 2 ribs have been fitted, so it was time to make sure I had enough planks. I have some different widths, just in case I need to make spoilers (the small planks that fill the gaps where full planks wont fit.).

No commentary on this one as the machinery s too noisy, as I have a large vacuum attached and running tostop the worst of the dust.

only a little bit of commentary on this one :-) 

• Like 1

unfortunately the blade is so close to the fence that you cannot fit the guard, the good bit is that the fence acts as a guard. the plank on the face of the table is cut part way and clamped, this stops up the bigger gap around the blade and stops thin pieces dropping down beside the blade.

• Like 2

So with the last rib in place, the planking cut, it was time to set up for installing the planking, the workbench was tidied, all the dirt and dust I had not been able to get to, cleaned out. then the model was brought back, and the first plank damped down and clamped into position (dry) to take up the bend, the model will be turned and one plank attached and one set to take some bend each day.

I am really pleased at how the shape is forming up.

IMG_3951.JPG

IMG_3952.JPG

IMG_3953.JPG

IMG_3954.JPG

IMG_3955.JPG

• Like 4

Lazy Sunday, so a bit more work on the model this evening, a milestone has been achieved, first plank is gluing. first  it was damped and dry fitted into place, given a few hours to dry into shape, then the important step, shaving a slight angle onto the edge , as we get nearer the front the angle gets steeper, until right at the front the edge of the plank is wafer thin, then glue up - using gorilla pva glue as we don't want the foaming stuff here - if there are gaps with that it is not too strong, the pva will fill the gap, with a stronger bond. it will be sealed inside and out so no worries about water softening it. This plank alongside of the hog is the one with the biggest twist. tomorrow we will spin the model so I can do the first plank on the other side, and then the next one for this side will be dry fitted with a spray of water to get the bends in.

IMG_3956.JPG

IMG_3957.JPG

IMG_3958.JPG

IMG_3959.JPG

IMG_3960.JPG

• Like 2